The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title

+17
Galted
seanmichaels
Roller_Coaster
Union Cane
Stella
The Boss
VDT
Kenny
ChequeredJersey
The Womble
Hero
The Special Juan
Mind the windows Tino.
Adam D
JuliusHMarx
Rowley
sodhat
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Pick your favourite two...

The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_lcap2%The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_lcap0%The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_lcap12%The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 11 ]
The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_lcap1%The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_lcap1%The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_lcap16%The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 14 ]
The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_lcap4%The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_lcap14%The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 13 ]
The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_lcap8%The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 7 ]
The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_lcap0%The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_lcap3%The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_lcap9%The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 8 ]
The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_lcap14%The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 13 ]
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 90

The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Empty The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title

Post by sodhat Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:45 am

Yeah, you read that title right.

We're on the final lap and Hero has an almost unassailable lead. Adam can catch him, but he needs to win the round and for Hero's choice to go pointless. So it could be a procession if he picks up some early votes.

Some good quality in this round, and I hated myself for picking this category because I pretty much drew a blank, and that's why this round is some 40 minutes later than it should have been.

Nonetheless, please select you favourite TWO from the poll.

And thank you to all who have participated, both in the competition and in voting or commenting. It's been a pleasure thumbsup

sodhat

Back to top Go down

The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Empty Re: The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title

Post by Rowley Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 am

Easy one this time round sodhat, went for the inevitable and obvious Roses vote and then the greatest 60s song ever. Love the Kinks and this is perhaps their finest hour. Ray Davies is the greatest British song writer ever.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title Empty Re: The Music Cup Round 10 - Songs with Aristotle's Elements in the Title

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:54 am

There are actually a couple of songs in there that are on a par with the one I nominated (which will, of course, get 0 votes). So I voted for Simon & Garfunkel and The Doors.

Ray Davies isn't as good as Roy Wood Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:06 am

Now, now Julius lets not be silly. Honestly on the back of last weeks nonsensical Oasis are better than the Roses argument I could begin to think people say things on here solely to annoy me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:09 am

Sodhat - could you confirm what song was mine (1st or second) as they are both on there! I voted for both so it doesnt really matter but i may still win this thing!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:15 am

You got your first choice buddy thumbsup

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:25 am

Rowley wrote:then the greatest 60s song ever. Love the Kinks and this is perhaps their finest hour. Ray Davies is the greatest British song writer ever.

That was my first choice Jeffrey and, for once in you're life, you have hit the nail firmly on the head. Mesmerisingly good song.

Some git beat me to it but I have voted for it as I am a man of high principles and moral fibre.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:32 am

Would expect nothing less of you Tina, all the more remarkable when you consider Davies was about 25 when he wrote it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:02 pm

I couldn't even think of a single song except "Relight My Fire" picard The Doors get one of my votes, I'll need to think of who gets the other.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Waterloo Sunset certainly got my vote and it isn't my choice.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Can't vote for my own (but might not need to Smile) so went for Billy Joel as I love that song and Stone Roses as that was my second choice when nominating.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Nobody will vote for mine, I bet

I've gone for Simon and Garfunkel, which is beautiful, and the Doors
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Firestarter and Smoke on the Water for me. The rest are meh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:11 pm

The Womble wrote:Can't vote for my own (but might not need to Smile) so went for Billy Joel as I love that song and Stone Roses as that was my second choice when nominating.

Billy Joel was my second choice. A brilliant song that was game changing at the time.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Adam D wrote:
The Womble wrote:Can't vote for my own (but might not need to Smile) so went for Billy Joel as I love that song and Stone Roses as that was my second choice when nominating.

Billy Joel was my second choice. A brilliant song that was game changing at the time.

I remember it coming out and being enthralled by it. It got me interested in 20th century history. It was recently used in a pub quiz I went to. The quiz master played it during a break and told people to listen to the songs he was going to play, he then asked everyone to list 10 people named in the song and 10 events named in the song. You then had a room full of people trying to sing it back to themselves!!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Confused myself by sending in 4 picks just incase my first 2 had already gone , and 3 are up there :)surprised my second pick isn't ...Ring of Fire Johny Cash .............so must of got my first choice
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:14 pm

As with most of choices i doubt most of you have heard the song! Recommend you youtube it!!!!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:16 pm

I've heard it, but only because I used to play Guitar Hero and it was set up as the worlds hardest track ever

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:18 pm

Has anyone heard my choice I wonder? No votes so far - it's going down to the wire....

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Really wanted to try and vote for yours Julius just to break your unbeaten run but could not bring myself to ignore the Kinks and the Roses. Hate whoever nominated them particular songs.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:27 pm

You don't know which one mine is though, do you? Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:28 pm

I remember being on holiday in gran canaria 2 years ago and a fella getting up to sing fire starter blind drunk on karaoke in an Irish bar. Brought the house down with th performance and his encore of collapsing off the stage was just top class.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Very true Julius, but am sure I could have either worked it out or my shiny green badge would have given me some way of finding out in a childish and flagrant abuse of my powers. Either that or could have just tried to bribe sodhat to tell me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:31 pm

sodhat wrote:I've heard it, but only because I used to play Guitar Hero

Used to?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Rowley wrote:Really wanted to try and vote for yours Julius just to break your unbeaten run but could not bring myself to ignore the Kinks and the Roses. Hate whoever nominated them particular songs.

Sorry Rowley , i had to pick the Roses this round Waterfall was played at my mates funeral listening to it always reminds me of him and the look on peoples faces as it came blasting out in the church makes me smile

Last edited by Kenny on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
sodhat wrote:I've heard it, but only because I used to play Guitar Hero

Used to?

Well it's hard to play these days because my Wii-mote is on the blink and I miss loads of notes. I could play Jessica by The Allman Brothers like a boss. On a game.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Rowley wrote:Very true Julius, but am sure I could have either worked it out or my shiny green badge would have given me some way of finding out in a childish and flagrant abuse of my powers. Either that or could have just tried to bribe sodhat to tell me.

You could make a pretty accurate guess I'd wager. I mean there are two songs on the list I've never even heard of (band or artist) and any selection by someone named DJ is blatently Union's. It's the other one...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Went for bridge over troubled water and waterfall.

Been away, hence my non voting.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:03 pm

Blimey, I'm not doing to bad in this round at the moment. 

BTW, Thanks to Sodhat for arranging and running this. It has been expertly done and a lot of fun.

If I wore a hat I would tip it to you Sodhat, but I don't.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Agreed, good work Sodhat, gutted this started when I was on holiday but apart from that has been enjoyable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm just wondering whether anyone actually takes the time to listen to any track they haven't heard of before voting for something else?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Sometimes, but sometimes my choice is made so obvious by the quality of a track I do know that the other tracks would have to be mind-blowing to get in the reckoning.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:19 pm

How do you know that Airhead is not a mind-blowing track?

In my opinion it is, but then I haven't met anyone who shares that opinion since the late 90s. Even Mrs Cane won't listen to it.

Not sure whether this is within the rules but everyone should have a listen...

Airhead - DJ Brisk:

...and then try telling me that this track doesn't smash to pieces all the other guitar band / singing tripe on the list.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:22 pm

After The Beatles lost heavily to Oasis in round 1 decided not to try to second-guess what might be popular, but went with songs I genuinely consider to be great songs, regardless of how well known they might be.
I suppose I could have chosen other more well known songs that I also think are great, but I prefer the ones I did chose. I reckon they hold up to pretty much anything else that's been nominated.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:23 pm

I already regret linking on the video, it's like Crazy Frog met Daft Punk and a Drum and Bass DJ and they all did acid together
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:23 pm

What's happening after the music cup? What's our next voting contest?

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:24 pm

Roses and Prodigy.

Cheers for running it, some top quality entertainment amongst the songs and the banter all things considered.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:25 pm

I would tolerate that music in Fabric (not that Fabric would be in my top 10 choices of nightclubs to visit) or somewhere if I were in a group with a pretty girl and had prelashed sufficiently, and the middle section is quite decent, but I am never going to optionally listen to that track again, sorry Union, just not my kind of thing
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:26 pm

Yeah thanks for the competition guys
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:27 pm

Union Cane wrote:How do you know that Airhead is not a mind-blowing track?

In my opinion it is, but then I haven't met anyone who shares that opinion since the late 90s. Even Mrs Cane won't listen to it.

Not sure whether this is within the rules but everyone should have a listen...

Airhead - DJ Brisk:

...and then try telling me that this track doesn't smash to pieces all the other guitar band / singing tripe on the list.

which dj / band did the 'shooting star' song? think you've told me before but i forgot....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:29 pm

That was by Bang, it was later covered / remixed / commercialised / destroyed by Flip & Fill.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:33 pm

Union Cane wrote:Even Mrs Cane won't listen to it.

TIMC

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:38 pm

When you cannot persuade an imaginary woman to listen to your choice you know you're struggling.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:38 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Yeah thanks for the competition guys

Thanks for the lack of competition guys Whistle

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Hero wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Yeah thanks for the competition guys

Thanks for the lack of competition guys Whistle

Some of us went with integrity instead of selling out. Think of yourself as Kings of Leon's Sex on Fire Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Every song I picked until the last 2 rounds is on my phone and listened to. I didn't have any 80s movie soundtracks on my phone and this round a song I do have on my phone is beating mine, I just have good taste Wink

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:50 pm

I'll join all the sentimental thanks to sodhat, though I'm still annoyed he saw fit to end the competition when it became clear I was mounting a fightback to rival Everton coming back from 0-6 at Villa Park in 1989 to only lose 2-6.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Union Cane wrote:Not sure whether this is within the rules but everyone should have a listen...

Airhead - DJ Brisk:

Sod it, me too.

Spoiler:
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:What's happening after the music cup? What's our next voting contest?

That's a really good question ................any ideas ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Books?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next