The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v New Zealand, 3rd ODI, Trent Bridge

+12
mystiroakey
Marcus
NickisBHAFC
dummy_half
msp83
JDizzle
subhranshu.kumar.5
liverbnz
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Good Golly I'm Olly
trebellbobaggins
Duty281
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

England v New Zealand, 3rd ODI, Trent Bridge - Page 2 Empty England v New Zealand, 3rd ODI, Trent Bridge

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Last ODI of the series, and the last ODI for both these teams before the Champions Trophy. Led by Guptill, New Zealand have an unassailable 2 nil lead in the series and this is just a dead rubber. England have made 4 changes - Broad and Finn are back from injury, whilst Tredwell and Bopara ( Shocked ) are also in. Dernbach, Woakes, Anderson and Swann are the outgoing names. For New Zealand, Southee comes back from injury and replaces Bracewell, while Munro is in for Elliot.

England 1 Alastair Cook, 2 Ian Bell, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Joe Root, 5 Eoin Morgan, 6 Ravi Bopara, 7 Jos Buttler (wk), 8 Tim Bresnan, 9 Stuart Broad, 10 James Tredwell, 11 Steven Finn.
New Zealand 1 Luke Ronchi, 2 Martin Guptill, 3 Kane Williamson, 4 Ross Taylor, 5 Colin Munro, 6 Brendon McCullum, 7 James Franklin, 8 Nathan McCullum, 9 Tim Southee, 10 Kyle Mills, 11 Mitchell McClenaghan.

New Zealand have won the toss and will field.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

England v New Zealand, 3rd ODI, Trent Bridge - Page 2 Empty Re: England v New Zealand, 3rd ODI, Trent Bridge

Post by msp83 Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:17 am

Morgan slowly finding his touch. These last 3 overs could be interesting. England 223-5.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England v New Zealand, 3rd ODI, Trent Bridge - Page 2 Empty Re: England v New Zealand, 3rd ODI, Trent Bridge

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:17 am

wow bop showing us all what we knew.

we have no depth.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:19 am

Buttler taking to Mills this over. Why isn't Southee bowling?
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:19 am

Now Buttler on the charge. England looking in control for the first time in the series, after that first over double from James Anderson.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:19 am

they are at least 50 short of par msp but nz could get 100 more. shocking again.

good over but rather shows how flat it is out there. worrying with the guptinator on standbye.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:24 am

Jos Buttler proving to be excellent here. Going at a strike rate of only 300!!.
Think he's pretty much suited at 7. At 6 he has to play a bit of a different role, and he hasn't quite done it successfully as yet. Bopara is as hopeless as ever, Woakes doesn't seem up to it either. Think England has to think of giving a few more chances to Ben Stokes, and perhaps even Luke Wright at 6. That will provide them with a good batting option at 6, and Buttler can also be used in the best way.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:25 am

Oh ffs Mitch
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:27 am

Buttler showing some of the fire that England have been on the end of. a proper whack at the end.

shame for the middle overs as anything less than 300 must look easy to these boys now surely?

what do you need to provide any scoreboard pressure here? 290?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:28 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:Oh ffs Mitch

welcome to our world.

that was a Dernbache over an over. utter Poopie.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:28 am

Come on Jos!!

Good little innings by him!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:29 am

why was bops playing Shocked

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:30 am

Jos for a another 20!! come on lad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:30 am

Is that Mitch McClenaghan or Mitchell Johnson?

He'll have a song soon.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:32 am

Poor captaincy from McCullum. Southee is usually a very good option at the death. Mills usually travels around a bit too much in such situations. Of course Southee hasn't been at his best today, but I think he would have been a better option. Mcclenaghan struggling with wides and no-balls, and England won't mind at all.
England 265-5, 1 more over to come. They'll be looking at 275-280, and I think that will be a very good score, particularly as there is no Dernbach today.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:32 am

6 off the Southee!! about time.

and then a silly run out but good fielding.

I dread to think what the Gupso will do here.

so probably falling short of the 290 at least kiwis would get?

average here is 240 going first, 204 second in odi's. But that's not allowing for that kiwi line-up!!

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:33 am

Guptill makes his presence felt. Superb fielding to run out Morgan
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:34 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:Guptill makes his presence felt. Superb fielding to run out Morgan

he's the man of the series.

backing him for that third big ton today?

and southee goes for 6 again. stop that Guptil!

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:35 am

WOW!! A DFS maximum!!!

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:36 am

and again southee goes for six.

god what will guptil do here?

couldn't get his long arms up to that though.

not far off the 290 they were saying you'd want if you had to go first and needed scoreboard pressure.

the sure stuffed southee in that last over.

NZ will be loving putting themselves to the test here.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:39 am; edited 2 times in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:37 am

that was so close to a 51 of 16 balls!!

well played JOS!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:37 am

Well played Jos. You got Giles out of a big hole there.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:38 am

Well batted Buttler.

I'm off to play some softball (and drink some beer) in the sun in Regents' Park tonight so enjoy the 2nd innings all.

Here's hoping Guptill can make it 3 in a row - though the law of averages says England will hold any early catch chances this time
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:40 am

Jos Buttler 47 not out of only 16 balls, and that onslaught from him Morgan in the last 5 overs has provided England with a very very good score.
Up to the bowlers now, can they up their game after the horrer show in the last match? Finn's back, and so is Broad. Anderson and Swann are missing, but Tredwell is a more than handy replacement for Swanny. I'd say England's game to lose from here on.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:41 am

Nick Knight dictating how to win matches. get over yourself Nick.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:42 am

msp83 wrote:Jos Buttler 47 not out of only 16 balls, and that onslaught from him Morgan in the last 5 overs has provided England with a very very good score.
Up to the bowlers now, can they up their game after the horrer show in the last match? Finn's back, and so is Broad. Anderson and Swann are missing, but Tredwell is a more than handy replacement for Swanny. I'd say England's game to lose from here on.

actually that's a good point. no Anderson or swann undoes the benefit of having broad and finn. NZ should get this easily.

I thought we were finally putting a proper attack out. Tredwell not crap though. still going to be 10 very soft overs. will Bops bowl? actually he can be OK. Him and root? that could be NZ's 20 per overs right there.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:51 am

An interesting innings from England. Not sure I agree with all the doom and gloom; they did a lot right.

One of the top 4 (the much-maligned Bell in this case) got an 80+, and a couple of the top 4 supported him well, but ideally one of Trott or Root should have gone on to make a similar contribution to Bell, or Bell should have made 100+. The lack of about 30 runs from the top 4 meant that Morgan had to play himself in for a bit, which possibly was no bad thing, because until Buttler got going he looked very scratchy.

The one who I think has to come in for a bit of criticism is the possibly unfortunate Bopara. Coming in in the last 15 overs you need to score a run a ball at least. There is nothing wrong with taking a few dot balls to play yourself in (Morgan did the same) but you then need to catch those up with boundaries later on, as Morgan did, but Bopara seemed unable and at times even unwilling to do. Buttler got England out of a bit of a hole - whilst you would expect him and Morgan to strike at close to 200 in that situation, striking at 300 (just about) got England an extra 15-20 runs, which you would have wanted Bopara to score in his 38 ball stay. In other words, Buttler caught up Bopara's dot balls for him.

I know people will point to his strike-rate being better than Root's say, but England's gameplan doesn't rely on Root striking at much above what he did today in that situation (although they would have liked him to bat another 10 or so overs at a run-a-ball).

So all in all, I would suggest England got the innings about 2/3ds right, which is an improvement on the series effort so far. But that they have a good total is due to a bit of magic from Buttler (showing again what he can do, and why he should be in every England limited overs side for a while at least).

I agree with those who are unconvinced by Giles's pedigree as an international coach. He may turn out to be very good, but his appointment probably came a few years early.

New Zealand were mostly too predictably full at the end. A few back of a length slower balls would have helped. Mills ahead of Southee was a poor call, and that over gave England the momentum they so desperately needed.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:58 am

That final 3 overs - 64/1 - may have just won England this game. Well done Buttler. clap

No sheet to say that Guptill is the key wicket for England.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:00 am

Superb and exciting batting from Buttler and Morgan. There's the 2 lads we know, they could be key in the ICC Trophy. We looked a lot stronger in the batting line up for some reason.

I would keep this team throughout, but i would play Swann instead of Tredwell.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:04 am

Well done to Bell, Butler and Morgan, who have all given themselves (and England) an important tonic before the ICC Trophy.

Is Pietersen set to return for that?

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:07 am

No he's injured unfortunately. All about getting him fit for the 10th of July.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:08 am

Mike Selig wrote:An interesting innings from England. Not sure I agree with all the doom and gloom; they did a lot right.

One of the top 4 (the much-maligned Bell in this case) got an 80+, and a couple of the top 4 supported him well, but ideally one of Trott or Root should have gone on to make a similar contribution to Bell, or Bell should have made 100+. The lack of about 30 runs from the top 4 meant that Morgan had to play himself in for a bit, which possibly was no bad thing, because until Buttler got going he looked very scratchy.

The one who I think has to come in for a bit of criticism is the possibly unfortunate Bopara. Coming in in the last 15 overs you need to score a run a ball at least. There is nothing wrong with taking a few dot balls to play yourself in (Morgan did the same) but you then need to catch those up with boundaries later on, as Morgan did, but Bopara seemed unable and at times even unwilling to do. Buttler got England out of a bit of a hole - whilst you would expect him and Morgan to strike at close to 200 in that situation, striking at 300 (just about) got England an extra 15-20 runs, which you would have wanted Bopara to score in his 38 ball stay. In other words, Buttler caught up Bopara's dot balls for him.

I know people will point to his strike-rate being better than Root's say, but England's gameplan doesn't rely on Root striking at much above what he did today in that situation (although they would have liked him to bat another 10 or so overs at a run-a-ball).

So all in all, I would suggest England got the innings about 2/3ds right, which is an improvement on the series effort so far. But that they have a good total is due to a bit of magic from Buttler (showing again what he can do, and why he should be in every England limited overs side for a while at least).

I agree with those who are unconvinced by Giles's pedigree as an international coach. He may turn out to be very good, but his appointment probably came a few years early.

New Zealand were mostly too predictably full at the end. A few back of a length slower balls would have helped. Mills ahead of Southee was a poor call, and that over gave England the momentum they so desperately needed.

Bopara has an unfortunate gift of being able to bunt the ball back to the bowler at will. Considering how he's supposed to be a player noted for his "wristy" play (and with it the ability to maneuver the ball), he does a urine poor job at rotating the strike. He's not good enough. England need to realise this and move on, and NEVER go back to him, as no matter how many runs he scores in Chelmsford, it simply does not translate to the international game.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:09 am

Bowling for England will be interesting. Bopara and Root will have to share 10 overs between them - I can only think that the selectors are thinking of doing this for real during the Champions Trophy so as to give us extra batting.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:12 am

and can Tredwell get it right?

Bops can actually bowl ok at times. My hope is he won't be worse than Dernbache is.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:25 am

and nz already up to 10 an over.

this is going to be easy with the gup out there. they can't get him out.

NZ and sl to progress out of their group in the trophy.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:35 am

Quick out of the blocks by the Kiwis, over a run a ball start. #misery

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:40 am

ronsealed his fate there.

nz way way way ahead of where eng were though.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:42 am

Lucky Broad... but even luckier us, as if it had been called a no ball we would have been subjected to another one of Beefy & Holding's rants.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:43 am

they are so far ahead of where eng were they really are on for 350 again.

they just "get" how to bat here in a way England don't.

another terrible over here.

they're just better to be honest.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:44 am

Uh-oh, Guptill's settled now.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:44 am

We need Dernbach & Woakes back in the team.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:45 am

if you got the unbeatable Guptil out then you could rattle them but he's a class above anything England can throw at him and laughing at them as he hits 4 after 4. almost a distain toward this little team he's clubbing.
eng were 12-1 at this stage. nz 50-1.
so the pitch is a pearler and England just suck. get rid of Giles and get the old coach back.

and sixes already. oh for gods sake. just forget it England, you're not a patch on this side and don't stand a chance in the trophy.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:50 am

Guptill's gonna get that double ton he missed out on a few days ago.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:50 am

getting a bit sick of him to be honest.

someone deport the annoyingly good Poopie.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:58 am

Done by Tredders!

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:58 am

Tredders gets the seemingly-invincible Guptill, clean bowled.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:58 am

tms just started comparing him to bloody Tendulkar after a stuffing in the tests and a couple of stylish bashes.

gone now to Tredwell.

anyway NZ have it. 40 ahead and with a ton of batting to come.

and you cannot afford to hand it to NZ with run out failures like that.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:20 am

Missed stumping from Buttler. Still a work in progress with the gloves, but when he bats like he does he makes it worth it.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:21 am

Big red machine gone soon after that drop. was a tough chance that off the gloves anyway. lovely lbw.

nz still off to a flyer and way ahead.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:24 am

Monroe ducks out but in comes the Big Muc. He had fun the other day, must be licking his lips at this.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:25 am

NZ in disarray!!!

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next