The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v India First Test Trent Bridge

+24
Corporalhumblebucket
jbeadlesbigrighthand
dyrewolfe
VTR
dummy_half
Pal Joey
Scrumpy
mystiroakey
JDizzle
NickisBHAFC
king_carlos
subhranshu.kumar.5
Mad for Chelsea
alfie
Gerry SA
guildfordbat
liverbnz
Liam
Duty281
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
KP_fan
kingraf
msp83
28 posters

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down

England v India First Test Trent Bridge Empty England v India First Test Trent Bridge

Post by msp83 Tue 08 Jul 2014, 5:32 pm

The 5 test series cramped into a 42 day schedule gets underway at Trent Bridge tomorrow. The 2 middling sides have a lot to prove. Hopefully we'll get to have some exciting cricket.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England v India First Test Trent Bridge Empty Re: England v India First Test Trent Bridge

Post by msp83 Tue 08 Jul 2014, 5:35 pm

The match preview from cricinofo thinks England will have Ben Stokes back in, replacing Chris Jordan. Matt Prior is facing some fitness concerns, and Jos Buttler is called in as cover, but England skipper Alastair Cook, who didn't think Buttler was ready for test cricket a month ago, hinted that Prior is more than likely to play.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England v India First Test Trent Bridge Empty Re: England v India First Test Trent Bridge

Post by msp83 Tue 08 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm

India on the other hand, are giving vibes that they might consider going in with 5 bowlers with the military medium parttimer Stuart Binny likely to make his test debut and make it to the side ahead of Rohit Sharma. Ravindra Jadeja is the likely spinner. So in all likelihood, it will be a 6, 7 and 8 of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Ravindra Jadeja and Stuart Binny.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 08 Jul 2014, 6:35 pm

Five Tests?!!! Gonna be a long summer. Should be a good series, and I think your fearless young batsmen are going to acquit themselves well... Even Rohit. Will be interesting to see how you're bowlers do, I still have memories of them only taking 7 wickets at nearly three an over on a cracked Wanderers pitch... The The Duke offers more movement early on, but it stops moving earlier than the 'Burra. I'm still going with a 3-1, England... but that's only because I don't know how you're bowlers are going to take twenty wickets enough to win matches.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 08 Jul 2014, 7:46 pm

That's exactly the problem, kingraf. In SA we at least had Zaheer. Though not at his peak, Zak still was a force to reckon with. Mohammed Shami can be a good bowler in years to come. Bhuvneshwar Kumar should enjoy conditions in England. But Ishant Sharma is hopeless, Ishwar Pandey and Pankaj Singh haven't played any test cricket, and Varun Aaron who's test experience is very little, has decent pace but not a lot otherwise in terms of swing and for that matter seam movement. Stuart Binny is a parttimer in the Ravi Bopara/Angelo Mathews/JP Duminy mode, not that much parttime, a bit better than that, say a regular parttimer....... So I don't know where the 20 wickets are going to come from.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 08 Jul 2014, 7:50 pm

The batting has class in Pujara, Kohli and Rahane. But Mahendra Singh Dhoni at 6? Not too sure of that. Would have preferred Ravichandran Ashwin coming in at 6, Dhoni at 7 and then 4 proper seamers rather than MSD at 6, Jadeja/Binny at 7 and 8 as it appears is the decided direction. I think Jadeja is a slightly better spin option in overseas conditions, but Ashwin is a better bat, and with 4 seamers to cover for different situations, he could have experimented a bit and look for wickets. Rate him better with the bat than the other 2 all-rounders, Jadeja and Binny.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 08 Jul 2014, 8:38 pm

msp83 wrote:The batting has class in Pujara, Kohli and Rahane. But Mahendra Singh Dhoni at 6? Not too sure of that. Would have preferred Ravichandran Ashwin coming in at 6, Dhoni at 7 and then 4 proper seamers rather than MSD at 6, Jadeja/Binny at 7 and 8 as it appears is the decided direction. I think Jadeja is a slightly better spin option in overseas conditions, but Ashwin is a better bat, and with 4 seamers to cover for different situations, he could have experimented a bit and look for wickets. Rate him better with the bat than the other 2 all-rounders, Jadeja and Binny.

msp-...in all those scenarios you forget that ashwin is a bowler who can bat a bit
and Binny is a proper batsman
just because his bowling his part-time.....he should not be deemed anything less than fulltime batsmanit's quite likely Binny might bat at 6.....
if they put Binny at No.7 he is still a proper batsman coming at No.7
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 08 Jul 2014, 8:41 pm

and India's problem on surface appears bowling...but in reality it's the handling of bowlers by Dhoni.
another captain like Ganguly or Kumble might have gotten a lot more out of similar level of bowling...we saw that on 2002 and 2006 tours of Eng
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Jul 2014, 8:41 pm

Think Shami/Kumar could cause Cook issues this series, pitch up swing bowlers are all over him atm

Tbh I think the series will be 1-1, can see a couple draws, one rain affected draw and a win for either side

Cook needs to be careful with Anderson/Broad, they looked effed after headingley
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 08 Jul 2014, 8:51 pm

Does Kumar swing it that much, though? Genuine question. Shami is more of a poor man's Asif, a really poor man's Asif, at the moment, anyway. I think this is the series Cook regains his mojo
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Jul 2014, 8:52 pm

kingraf wrote:Does Kumar swing it that much, though? Genuine question. Shami is more of a poor man's Asif, a really poor man's Asif, at the moment, anyway. I think this is the series Cook regains his mojo

Who would've thought Sri Lanka's seamers would've caused him issues like they did tho

I hope you're right, but I don't see it myself.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 08 Jul 2014, 9:04 pm

kingraf wrote:Does Kumar swing it that much, though? Genuine question. Shami is more of a poor man's Asif, a really poor man's Asif, at the moment, anyway. I think this is the series Cook regains his mojo

Kumar at his best is like Vernon philander
Sami is Peter siddle at his(Siddle's) best
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 09 Jul 2014, 6:59 am

Unlike Siddle, Shami can reverse the ball to devastating effect when the conditions suits reverse. He doesn't swing it much though, in the conventional way. With the newish ball, he's more about seam movement and a bit of extra pace compared to the other Indian bowlers. Bhuvneshwar is a milder version of Praveen Kumar. Bhuvi has just a little bit more pace, but I don't think he swings it as much as PK does, and doesn't yet have the street-smartness that his Uttar Pradesh senior has in plenty.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 8:15 am

msp83 wrote:Unlike Siddle, Shami can reverse the ball to devastating effect when the conditions suits reverse. He doesn't swing it much though, in the conventional way. With the newish ball, he's more about seam movement and a bit of extra pace compared to the other Indian bowlers. Bhuvneshwar is a milder version of Praveen Kumar. Bhuvi has just a little bit more pace, but I don't think he swings it as much as PK does, and doesn't yet have the street-smartness that his Uttar Pradesh senior has in plenty.

i think B. Kumar is better than P.Kumar.....because he swings at more pace and is more mercurial i.e does get the ball to do more

i think he will come through well as will sami
and Ishant has been in good form in the last two series......I want to believe Ishant has turned the corner
and a few hours before the start, I would like to belive this is a very competent bowling attack we have
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 09 Jul 2014, 8:21 am

Ishant has let us down far too often, so much so that even if he takes 6 wickets in an over, I would be expecting a rubbish 10 game streak right after that.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 8:30 am

msp83 wrote:Ishant has let us down far too often, so much so that even if he takes 6 wickets in an over, I would be expecting a rubbish 10 game streak  right after that.......

he has had 6 good games in a row.....be positive msp ...because there is no other alternative Cool 
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 09 Jul 2014, 8:44 am

There are alternatives but they all lack experience. Without Zaheer, we have to carry Ishant at least for now, and then hope and pray.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 8:57 am

msp83 wrote:There are alternatives but they all lack experience. Without Zaheer, we have to carry Ishant at least for now, and then hope and pray.

there is no alternative unless Dhoni is fired..... or convicted by Justice Mudgal
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 9:36 am

I read pre-match reports on guardian and telegraph....using dhoni's quotes from the pre-match conference.

it's almost certain that Binny will play...won't bat at No.6 but rather at No.7 or 8

and Dhoni will come in at No. 6 though I see Binny technically more competent to be at No.6

whihc means the team is a given.
Hope India bats first if they win the toss
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 09 Jul 2014, 9:58 am

Batting day, expect whoever wins to put themselves in.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 09 Jul 2014, 10:10 am

Just scoured the internet to find some idiotic comments from Indian fans, and now I'm all set!

Gorgeous, beautiful, darling James Anderson to tear India apart on a ground he cherishes the most, while sweet, wholesome, charming Alastair Cook rediscovers his touch against a ragged Indian bowling attack in a rather picturesque, English scene with the exquisite Nottingham the setting for that most dearest of this island's fair sports.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 10:20 am

10.15 am First news of the day: Stuart Binny has got his Test cap from Dhoni.. That means India are playing five bowlers.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 09 Jul 2014, 10:24 am

i'd go:

1. Cook
2. Robson
3. Ballance
4. Bell
5. Root
6. Ali
7. Prior
8. Stokes
9. Broad
10. Anderson
11. Plunkett

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 09 Jul 2014, 10:29 am

Stokes in for Jordan, otherwise same as Headingly I think.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 10:33 am

and Ind win the toss and bat first
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 10:36 am

so India somehow have to see through the first 4 days to leave Eng about 250+ on last day......and then Jadeja will wreak havoc and win it.....T1 in the pocket  Very Happy 
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 09 Jul 2014, 10:37 am

All out by lunch. Anderson 5fer.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 09 Jul 2014, 10:45 am

Very interesting montage of the england top order constantly getting out to balls pitched up. If that's not a blue print for success for these indian bowlers i don't know what is.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:03 am

Vijay cracks 3 smashing cover driven glorious fours in the first over  Very Happy 
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:06 am

KP_fan wrote:Vijay cracks 3 smashing cover driven glorious fours in the first over  Very Happy 

Not quite. One was an edge of the underside of his bat which he was trying to avoid!

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:09 am

liverbnz wrote:
KP_fan wrote:Vijay cracks 3 smashing cover driven glorious fours in the first over  Very Happy 

Not quite. One was an edge of the underside of his bat which he was trying to avoid!

doesn't matter....cover drives wouldn't have yielded any more Smile

pitch is moderate pace, no seam movement, moderate bounce and little swing in the air
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:13 am

I can well understand Stokes' selection. In particular, what he did in Australia plus he's one of those cricketers who seems to actually merit the tag "makes something happen".

However, I still feel Jordan is the better bowler and that the role of fourth seamer will be significant to how England do in this Test. I accept Stokes is likely to get more runs than Jordan although that shouldn't be the main consideration with him likely to bat here at 7 or 8. In Australia, Stokes was normally at 6 which probably meant there was less responsibility and pressure on him with the ball.

The above certainly doesn't mean the selectors have made a howler but - on difficult balance - it's not the call I would have made.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:13 am

and outfield fast too....India going at 6RPO and we are looking aat 540 runs in the day Smile
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:17 am

no pace in the wicket again. Common thing now in England. Wish we produced more pitches with a bit of zip to them

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:20 am

and Vijay creams two more cracking cover drives right from the middle of bat for FOUR...he is taking anderson apart here Wink
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:28 am

Fill your boots day, nothing much happening.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:30 am

Yes James!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:30 am

Clubman Anderson strikes removes Dhawan

Celebrating like he'd won the World Cup did the clubman. Shameful.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:30 am

and dhawan goes like he does most times.....fails to leave one that he should have....expected from him early in the series

as the series progresses we will see his concentration improve and he will leave more of these deliveries
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:31 am

Bonus for England, but India have talent to bat the day out on this pitch.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:32 am

Pujara time... Best batsman in the game for me - time to witness greatness
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:32 am

Really the only question is whether Pujara wants to retire on 200 or 300
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:35 am

kingraf wrote:Pujara time... Best batsman in the game for me - time to witness greatness
You feeling ok?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:42 am

GSC wrote:Really the only question is whether Pujara wants to retire on 200 or 300
Trying to take over from trebs?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:43 am

pitch will offer reverse soon
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:44 am

India crusing, England in dire straights
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 11:56 am

Vijay begining to free his arm...he could take apart bowling from here or fall being too adventourous
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Wed 09 Jul 2014, 12:03 pm

first hour...even efforts
eng pluck one wicket and has not allowed Indian bastmen to look easy...runs have come generally behind square from thick edges
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 09 Jul 2014, 12:24 pm

India really ought to make plenty here. Nothing on offer for the bowlers.
English pitches ain't what they used to be...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 09 Jul 2014, 12:27 pm

KP_fan wrote:pitch will offer reverse soon

England will hope so . The lack of pace and carry is a disappointment ; not just for England , but for interesting cricket. High eighties deliveries dying before the keeper... Headscratch 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next