The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born

+21
kwinigolfer
Union Cane
cherriesfna
Dolphin Ziggler
Pal Joey
Galted
Kenny
Stella
MIG
Il Gialloblu
The Special Juan
mystiroakey
Mind the windows Tino.
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
ChequeredJersey
Mat
Hero
Adam D
Crimey
The Womble
sodhat
25 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Select your TWO favourites from the list below...

Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap6%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap11%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 11 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap12%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 12 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap7%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 7 ]
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap13%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 13 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap13%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 13 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap9%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 9 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap1%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap1%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 104

Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Empty Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born

Post by sodhat Thu 23 May 2013, 9:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Here it is, the opening round of the Music Cup 2013. I'm sorry I couldn't think of a glitzier name.

We have a whole plethora of entrants and this round is wide open considering some of the songs put forward. If you didn't receive a PM from me telling you you got your second choice then you got your first choice.

You can select only TWO songs to vote for, and you may vote for your own if you're a filthy cheat.

Final note before the write ups - kudos to the man that selected Keep on Movin' by 5ive.

Write Ups:

Livin' On a Prayer by Bon Jovi - everyone knows the words, you're singing it right now in your head. Best 80s song bar none!

Bohemian Rhapsody (70's) - Although not the best song of the 70s, not even the best song by Queen, it is possibly the greatest song writing achievement ever. An iconic fusion of rock and opera, the song broke the norm of what was played on radio and considered cool.

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - I was gutted I had to pick from the 80s until I remembered this band, and this tune. It still resonates with me today as one of the greatest songs ever written.

Rod Stewart - Sailing - Not a massive fan of 70's music but love this anthemic tune from good old Rod. Still sounds great today, which is something.

I just died in your arms tonight - Cutting Crew
Love this song, my favourite song of the 80's. The song has a brilliant intro that grabs your attention then Nick Van Eede excellent voice comes in "Oh I, I just died in your arms tonight, It must have been something you said........" and it has a beast of a guitar solo!!!

Ghost Town - The Specials
Unemployment, social unrest and racial tension powered ‘Ghost Town’, which caught the multi-cultural Specials at a politically febrile moment in time. The people of Britain were “getting angry”, and this was mirrored in the song's haunting production and sense of dislocation. More than a pop song, this was a brilliant piece of art-as-social-comment.

1) Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights - could possibly be the most unmistakeable pop song ever apart from Bohemian Rhapsody, a bit like having an orgasm while stoned & simultaneously hearing nails screeching against a blackboard

90's song-Cast No Shadow - Oasis. Favourite song off the 1st album I ever bought. Classic Oasis!

Under Pressure - Queen + David Bowie. An utter masterpiece combining two unique, different yet totally complimentary vocalists (one a fantastic singer in his own right, the other arguably the greatest pop music male vocalist of all time with a truly irreplaceable voice and incredible range. I'll let you decide which was the Thin Duke and which Freddie) filling the song with both prodigious singing skills and raw emotion. THE iconic bass-line of all time, great lyrics. Both Queen and Bowie have produced some classic songs but this combined the best of both

Superstition - Stevie Wonder .............. I remember this being played as a young kid , good songs don't get old they mature

1st nomination: Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis
The so called "National Anthem of Britain", who hasn't sung along to this song at one point in their life (drunkenly or not) ? Did you know that before Liam pitched the line "So Sally can wait", Noel was apparently singing "So Jim'll fix it"?

1. Wings - Mull of Kintyre : Was apparently the song which would send me to sleep when I was a little grizzler, had a soft spot for it ever since I can remember.

The Beatles - I Am The Walrus
It's weird and wacky, it's classic pop but it's totally bizarre, it quotes King Lear and it was written on acid - it's everything a late 1960s song should be and more. A timeless work of genius.

Teenage Kicks - The Undertones: Iconic, simply put. You know each and every time this song gets airtime that immediately you're reaching for the volume button to turn up. It's universal as well, evn now it gets played on Radio 1 36 years after its release. The favourite record of John Peel and the favourite record of mine.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Empty Re: Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born

Post by cherriesfna Fri 24 May 2013, 12:40 pm

im not losing !!!!
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born - Page 3 Empty Re: Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born

Post by Union Cane Sat 25 May 2013, 6:38 pm

Shouldn't this be global? If it is hidden away in the music section only the music snobs will vote. Open it to the wider populace...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 26 May 2013, 12:09 am

Most of this lot weren't born when I was born, let alone making music.
What about some decent blues or jazz?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 May 2013, 12:59 am

Bohemian rhapsody and smells like teen spirit for me

Both brilliant songs and both have been with me growing up

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 26 May 2013, 2:39 am

I instantly disregarded any song I thought was a populace choice. No Nirvana, Queen or Oasis fan would pick Smells like Teen Spirit, Bohemian Rhapsody or Dont Look Back in Anger as their favourite song of the group in my opinion.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 26 May 2013, 8:13 am

chris.wilkerson13 wrote:I instantly disregarded any song I thought was a populace choice. No Nirvana, Queen or Oasis fan would pick Smells like Teen Spirit, Bohemian Rhapsody or Dont Look Back in Anger as their favourite song of the group in my opinion.

Agreed, although to be fair it is acknowledged on the Bo-Rhap write up OK

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 26 May 2013, 8:17 am

So hard to choose only two

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 26 May 2013, 12:13 pm

Teenage Kicks and Don't look back in anger for me.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 26 May 2013, 2:21 pm

Adam D wrote:
chris.wilkerson13 wrote:I instantly disregarded any song I thought was a populace choice. No Nirvana, Queen or Oasis fan would pick Smells like Teen Spirit, Bohemian Rhapsody or Dont Look Back in Anger as their favourite song of the group in my opinion.

Agreed, although to be fair it is acknowledged on the Bo-Rhap write up OK

I was really drunk when I wrote this and clearly grumpy about something. Probably a bad jukebox experience

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 May 2013, 2:27 pm

I'd agree though, hardly the best song of a decade when its not the best song by the band in question.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 26 May 2013, 2:40 pm

Hero wrote:I'd agree though, hardly the best song of a decade when its not the best song by the band in question.

I would say that Bohemian Rhapsody is possibly the greatest song ever written, its just not my favourite by the band. Technically amazing and game changing which is why it deserves to win imo.

I personally prefer Under Pressure by Queen from this list and could name at least a dozen Queen songs I would prefer to listen to by Queen. However, that doesnt take away from its brilliance.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 26 May 2013, 2:43 pm

Picking the best Queen song is an impossible task, it's like picking the prettiest sunset or something. There are so many awesome ones that 10 people could pick a different one as their fave and I would think no less of them
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Sun 26 May 2013, 3:03 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Picking the best Queen song is an impossible task, it's like picking the prettiest sunset or something. There are so many awesome ones that 10 people could pick a different one as their fave and I would think no less of them

I'd tend to think that picking the best Queen song is like picking the smartest kid in the special needs class.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 26 May 2013, 3:04 pm

sodhat wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Picking the best Queen song is an impossible task, it's like picking the prettiest sunset or something. There are so many awesome ones that 10 people could pick a different one as their fave and I would think no less of them

I'd tend to think that picking the best Queen song is like picking the smartest kid in the special needs class.

We'll agree to disagree then
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 26 May 2013, 3:28 pm

Cannot believe that with a whole decade to choose from, someone went for I am the Walrus. Not even in the top 10 Beatles songs.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 26 May 2013, 3:30 pm

And I still can't believe that 9 people picked Oasis from that list
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 26 May 2013, 3:31 pm

Maybe they are on a desert island Run

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 26 May 2013, 8:49 pm

It was all going so well at first Sad
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 26 May 2013, 9:01 pm

There are some amazing songs on this list with nowhere near enough votes

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 26 May 2013, 9:10 pm

You talking Bon Jovi? Cos if you are, I agree!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 26 May 2013, 9:16 pm

God
No

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Sun 26 May 2013, 9:47 pm

I am astonished INXS only has 1 vote
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 28 May 2013, 9:18 am

This round will wrap up at some stage today and I'll get round two up, along with the category for round 3.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 28 May 2013, 10:02 am

I think its time for others to put on the red light not you!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 28 May 2013, 10:05 am

Already regretting my choice for round 2 - I might not even vote for it!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 11:43 am

I didn't even know Round 1 had been posted, why wasn't it globalized?

And Nirvana having so many votes makes me sick, what a joke. That 'song' barely qualifies as music Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 28 May 2013, 11:55 am

It was gloablized for the first day of it and for the whole of the weekend!

I only took it off this morning!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 11:58 am

Haha, I was away for the BH weekend. But I swear I didn't see it on Thursday or Friday, I was on the site quite a bit. Doesn't matter obvs Smile

The more I look at the songs with the most votes, the more I hate the human race. There are some terrible, God-awful songs on there. Films I can understand, some like 'thinkers', some like comedies, some like horror. But there is no excuse for anyone liking half the songs nominated Laugh

Soddy - I'm going to vote on the Cup but I don't want to participate anymore. It's soul destroying to see how the voting has gone so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 28 May 2013, 11:58 am

well the song that's winning was my first choice which i couldn't have as someone else got in before me . I did vote for it though
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 12:05 pm

93% of the people that filled in the 606v2 feedback form were male, yet Rod Stewart has 3 votes. Go figure Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 28 May 2013, 12:10 pm

i went for what i thought would be a popular vote turns out i was right Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 28 May 2013, 12:11 pm

Fernando if you want to win - its the only way isnt it. Judge the audience and pick away!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3