The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born

+21
kwinigolfer
Union Cane
cherriesfna
Dolphin Ziggler
Pal Joey
Galted
Kenny
Stella
MIG
Il Gialloblu
The Special Juan
mystiroakey
Mind the windows Tino.
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
ChequeredJersey
Mat
Hero
Adam D
Crimey
The Womble
sodhat
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Select your TWO favourites from the list below...

Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap6%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap11%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 11 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap12%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 12 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap7%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 7 ]
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap13%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 13 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap13%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 13 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap9%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 9 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap1%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap1%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap0%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_lcap3%Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 104

Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Empty Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born

Post by sodhat Thu 23 May 2013, 9:09 am

Here it is, the opening round of the Music Cup 2013. I'm sorry I couldn't think of a glitzier name.

We have a whole plethora of entrants and this round is wide open considering some of the songs put forward. If you didn't receive a PM from me telling you you got your second choice then you got your first choice.

You can select only TWO songs to vote for, and you may vote for your own if you're a filthy cheat.

Final note before the write ups - kudos to the man that selected Keep on Movin' by 5ive.

Write Ups:

Livin' On a Prayer by Bon Jovi - everyone knows the words, you're singing it right now in your head. Best 80s song bar none!

Bohemian Rhapsody (70's) - Although not the best song of the 70s, not even the best song by Queen, it is possibly the greatest song writing achievement ever. An iconic fusion of rock and opera, the song broke the norm of what was played on radio and considered cool.

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - I was gutted I had to pick from the 80s until I remembered this band, and this tune. It still resonates with me today as one of the greatest songs ever written.

Rod Stewart - Sailing - Not a massive fan of 70's music but love this anthemic tune from good old Rod. Still sounds great today, which is something.

I just died in your arms tonight - Cutting Crew
Love this song, my favourite song of the 80's. The song has a brilliant intro that grabs your attention then Nick Van Eede excellent voice comes in "Oh I, I just died in your arms tonight, It must have been something you said........" and it has a beast of a guitar solo!!!

Ghost Town - The Specials
Unemployment, social unrest and racial tension powered ‘Ghost Town’, which caught the multi-cultural Specials at a politically febrile moment in time. The people of Britain were “getting angry”, and this was mirrored in the song's haunting production and sense of dislocation. More than a pop song, this was a brilliant piece of art-as-social-comment.

1) Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights - could possibly be the most unmistakeable pop song ever apart from Bohemian Rhapsody, a bit like having an orgasm while stoned & simultaneously hearing nails screeching against a blackboard

90's song-Cast No Shadow - Oasis. Favourite song off the 1st album I ever bought. Classic Oasis!

Under Pressure - Queen + David Bowie. An utter masterpiece combining two unique, different yet totally complimentary vocalists (one a fantastic singer in his own right, the other arguably the greatest pop music male vocalist of all time with a truly irreplaceable voice and incredible range. I'll let you decide which was the Thin Duke and which Freddie) filling the song with both prodigious singing skills and raw emotion. THE iconic bass-line of all time, great lyrics. Both Queen and Bowie have produced some classic songs but this combined the best of both

Superstition - Stevie Wonder .............. I remember this being played as a young kid , good songs don't get old they mature

1st nomination: Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis
The so called "National Anthem of Britain", who hasn't sung along to this song at one point in their life (drunkenly or not) ? Did you know that before Liam pitched the line "So Sally can wait", Noel was apparently singing "So Jim'll fix it"?

1. Wings - Mull of Kintyre : Was apparently the song which would send me to sleep when I was a little grizzler, had a soft spot for it ever since I can remember.

The Beatles - I Am The Walrus
It's weird and wacky, it's classic pop but it's totally bizarre, it quotes King Lear and it was written on acid - it's everything a late 1960s song should be and more. A timeless work of genius.

Teenage Kicks - The Undertones: Iconic, simply put. You know each and every time this song gets airtime that immediately you're reaching for the volume button to turn up. It's universal as well, evn now it gets played on Radio 1 36 years after its release. The favourite record of John Peel and the favourite record of mine.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Empty Re: Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born

Post by The Womble Thu 23 May 2013, 9:49 am

Are you kidding? We have to chose JUST 2 from this list?? I could easily pick 60-70% of these. This is going to need some thinking!!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born Empty Re: Music Cup Round 1 - Songs from the decade you were born

Post by Crimey Thu 23 May 2013, 10:38 am

I picked Bohemian Rhapsody which is probably one of the best songs ever written, despite the fact that everything tells you it should fail.

And Don't Look Back in Anger which is one of the best Oasis songs, particularly as it doesn't have the whine of Liam singing it. I'm a huge fan of Noel Gallagher, so Don't Look Back in Anger for me shows that he should have broken off from the untalented Liam years before.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 23 May 2013, 10:44 am

I picked the two queen songs for the reasons given- both I onic in their own right. If I had to choose only one it would be Under Pressure and it wasn't even my nomination!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 23 May 2013, 10:50 am

I picked my selection because genuinely I think its a wonderful track and I went for it through personal choice rather than an attempt to go with popular votes, the other one I went for was The Smiths as that too is just a great song. Could quite easily though have picked Superstition, Died in Your Arms, Wuthering Heights, Ghost Town or London Calling.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Thu 23 May 2013, 10:53 am

I voted for Oasis-Don't look back in anger, one of if not my favourite Oasis song. And my 2nd vote was for 5ive. Because 90's boyband pop is the best.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 23 May 2013, 11:03 am

superstition and under pressure but a good mix there
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 23 May 2013, 11:13 am

There is a Light... as it is one of the most beautiful songs ever written by one of Britain's most important and influential bands.

And Superstition - as it is the only Funk and Soul song on the list.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 23 May 2013, 11:26 am

I went for Teenage Kicks simply because I love it and Smells Like Teen Spirit as it brings back such happy memories of misspent teenage years and being a kid trying to find his voice in the world. Nirvana were so important in shaping what followed through the rest of the 90's and, to a lesser extent, the 2000's. Really influential band.

Tough list though and there are loads I could have voted for. Well done sodhat for getting it up and running. thumbsup

My choice is failing badly which leads me to believe that you're all heathens. Apart from the solitary (for now) poster who clearly has immaculate taste in music.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 23 May 2013, 11:33 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I went for Teenage Kicks simply because I love it and Smells Like Teen Spirit as it brings back such happy memories of misspent teenage years and being a kid trying to find his voice in the world. Nirvana were so important in shaping what followed through the rest of the 90's and, to a lesser extent, the 2000's. Really influential band.

Tough list though and there are loads I could have voted for. Well done sodhat for getting it up and running. thumbsup

My choice is failing badly which leads me to believe that you're all heathens. Apart from the solitary (for now) poster who clearly has immaculate taste in music.

To be fair mate if you didn't pick your own choice, can you blame us for not going for it? Smile
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 23 May 2013, 11:35 am

I have voted for The Smiths as that is one of my favourite songs of all time and Under Pressure because it has to 2 of the greatest artists together on one song and is just a brilliant record.

I could have easily picked DLBIA, Mull of Kintyre, Bo Rhap and others. Very hard choice.

I'm pleased to see my pick as at least one vote so far!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 23 May 2013, 11:40 am

I actually went with my own choice, but that was genuinely because it was my second favourite song on this list.

My favourite, and maybe favourite ever, is Don't Look Back In Anger. I wasn't that much into music until I found Oasis as a teenager, and this song was the first one that prompted me to go out and buy What's The Story. Still my favourite album to this day, too.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 23 May 2013, 11:41 am

Keep on moving five has 3 votes...

Shocked

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 23 May 2013, 11:42 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:

To be fair mate if you didn't pick your own choice, can you blame us for not going for it? Smile

sodhat wrote: you may vote for your own if you're a filthy cheat

This is the only reason I didn't vote for my own song, Chequered.

I am a sensitive soul and couldn't bear the thought of my old pal sodhat thinking poorly of me!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 23 May 2013, 11:43 am

I picked my own because I think it's the best song on the list! Otherwise I wouldn't have picked it. If we are not allowed to then I can change it
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 23 May 2013, 11:43 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

sodhat wrote: you may vote for your own if you're a filthy cheat

This is the only reason I didn't vote for my own song, Chequered.

I am a sensitive soul and couldn't bear the thought of my old pal sodhat thinking poorly of me!

And then I voted for my own song....

It was in jest anyway, I suspect almost everyone picked their own song.

I could have been mean there and said "don't worry, I already think poorly of you". You're welcome.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 23 May 2013, 12:03 pm

I would really like to see under Pressure win this round (and no, its not my choice)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 23 May 2013, 12:07 pm

Some deviant only voted for one song (or an odd number of songs) :/
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 23 May 2013, 12:10 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Some deviant only voted for one song (or an odd number of songs) :/

Probably someone voting only for their own? I considered doing the same but then developed half a conscience and voted for someone else's too.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Thu 23 May 2013, 12:11 pm

Could have picked loads here, went with Nirvana and The Smiths.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 23 May 2013, 12:12 pm

The Moive cup provided me with enough evidence of our members poor taste (Anchorman and Happy Gilmore winning twice?) but surely, we cant have the mood hoovers win this round?

The Smiths? Seriously? Give me Bon Jovi anyday!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 23 May 2013, 12:20 pm

Are you kidding Adam, it's a fantastic song! Any song with lyrics about getting hit by a double decker bus is fine with me.

I think it shows some excellent taste, this round so far.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 23 May 2013, 12:22 pm

It was Mozza's birthday yesterday as well. Imagine his party was a hoot!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 23 May 2013, 12:23 pm

There Is A Light.. is an amazing song. I would love it to win this round.

Although, to be honest I would prefer my own song to win but with only 1 vote (and not by me) I highly doubt it will!!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 23 May 2013, 12:25 pm

Hero wrote:It was Mozza's birthday yesterday as well. Imagine his party was a hoot!

It was until this charming man told him his girlfriend's in a coma, and heaven knows he's miserable now.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 23 May 2013, 12:30 pm

The Smiths song is my 2nd fave on the list after my own but it's still not my fave Smiths song. How Soon is Now? gets that award.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 23 May 2013, 12:33 pm

You do realise that I am playing you all like a fiddle?

The Smiths song is mine and I am hoping you are all anti ADam voting Wink

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 23 May 2013, 12:37 pm

Adam D wrote:You do realise that I am playing you all like a fiddle?

The Smiths song is mine and I am hoping you are all anti ADam voting Wink

You can't fiddle with me

That's not your choice, whoever's it is has incredible taste though, no doubt.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 23 May 2013, 12:41 pm

Is there a run down of the points system somewhere? Top 3? Top 5? What's the deal? Because I'm currently joint second last.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 23 May 2013, 12:45 pm

Its up to Sodhat but the movie cup awarded points to the top 8 people:

1 - 10
2 - 8
3 - 6
4 - 5
5 - 4
6 - 3
7 - 2
8 - 1

However, if people were tied, then I adjusted points acordingly (ie no more than 8 point scorers each round)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 23 May 2013, 12:53 pm

Picked my own, but can I change it please???
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 23 May 2013, 12:55 pm

turned on the vote cancel option for you

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 23 May 2013, 12:59 pm

Cheers Adam

Went for Don't Look Back In Anger.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 23 May 2013, 12:59 pm

Isn't it all a little dull if everyone just votes for their own songs?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 23 May 2013, 1:01 pm

Teenage kicks ...........the first song i truly loved

Superstition .............. classic song you can't sit still to
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 23 May 2013, 1:01 pm

You get to vote for two songs.

And its open up to the whole forum to vote.

I voted for someone elses films in the movie cup (and still finished second!)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 23 May 2013, 1:05 pm

Adam D wrote:You get to vote for two songs.

Yeah I get that, it just seems that those of us actually taking part should enter into the spirit of it all and not vote for your own songs. I know I won't be.

There will hopefully be enough non-participants voting to make it exciting.

Am I taking this too seriously.... Laugh

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 23 May 2013, 1:07 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Adam D wrote:You get to vote for two songs.

Yeah I get that, it just seems that those of us actually taking part should enter into the spirit of it all and not vote for your own songs. I know I won't be.

There will hopefully be enough non-participants voting to make it exciting.

Am I taking this too seriously.... Laugh

Depends on whether you voted for the teletubbies or not!

Thereotically, you are picking your favourite song when nominating, so voting for it makes sense.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 23 May 2013, 1:07 pm

Don't think this is actually up as a global anymore?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 23 May 2013, 1:08 pm

It only allowed me to vote for one?

Tino

I agree, hence the change, and the fact I prefer Don't Look Back Anger thumbsup
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 23 May 2013, 1:12 pm

Adam D wrote:

Depends on whether you voted for the teletubbies or not!

Thereotically, you are picking your favourite song when nominating, so voting for it makes sense.

How very dare you!

Oh well, perhaps it is just me then. I am going to stick to my principles and not vote for my own choices.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 23 May 2013, 1:13 pm

Stella wrote:
Tino

I agree, hence the change, and the fact I prefer Don't Look Back Anger thumbsup

thumbsup

Great changes can only be brought about by great people, Stella.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 23 May 2013, 1:17 pm

I agree with Tino, we shouldn't vote for our own songs.

Someone has voted for my choice but not put a comment on as to why Headscratch Don't be shy, let us all know your reasons for voting.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 23 May 2013, 1:17 pm

what's your choice womble?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 23 May 2013, 1:23 pm

Spoiler:
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 23 May 2013, 1:25 pm

Nice tune, and great album.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 23 May 2013, 1:44 pm

crazygangwomble wrote:I agree with Tino, we shouldn't vote for our own songs.

I massively disagree with this, I like to see at leaset one vote next to my selection, even if it is my own.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 23 May 2013, 1:51 pm

Galted wrote:

I massively disagree with this, I like to see at leaset one vote next to my selection, even if it is my own.

Fair do's, if you want to vote for your own do it. Personally, I just think we shouldn't that's all. Smile
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 23 May 2013, 1:52 pm

Galted wrote:

Never had you down as the insecure type, Galted!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 23 May 2013, 1:57 pm

Nearly went for teenage kicks, and it's doing well. Not sure I will be in the champion league spots after round 1 egg
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next