The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist

+22
NickisBHAFC
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
VDT
The Boss
GloriousEmpire
Hibbz
Stella
Kenny
MIG
kwinigolfer
Galted
The Womble
Dolphin Ziggler
Il Gialloblu
Crimey
mystiroakey
ChequeredJersey
Adam D
Hero
Mind the windows Tino.
Union Cane
sodhat
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SELECT YOUR TWO FAVOURITE SONGS

Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_lcap4%Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 5 ]
Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_lcap8%Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 10 ]
Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_lcap4%Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 5 ]
[ 5 ]
Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_lcap1%Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_lcap8%Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 9 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 9 ]
Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_lcap1%Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 9 ]
Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_lcap2%Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_lcap6%Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 7 ]
Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_lcap11%Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 13 ]
Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_lcap5%Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 6 ]
[ 9 ]
[ 9 ]
Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_lcap2%Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_lcap0%Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 10 ]
Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_lcap0%Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 118

Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Empty Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist

Post by sodhat Thu 30 May 2013, 1:01 pm

We're starting to get a flavour of the terrible taste in music the board has (evidenced by Hero streaking out with 18 points from 2 rounds). Nonetheless, we press on with round 3, which features songs by US-born solo artists.

There is a vast array of songs to choose from here, but you can only select two. And if you listen to Tino it can't be your own or you're a morally corrupt slop bucket of a person.

The scores from the last round, and the overall leaderboard are all posted within the thread for the 2nd round (in the music section, now it isn't global anymore) so go find it if you're curious.

Finally - round 4 will be songs by bands/artists associated with "Britpop". For the young ones among us (like cherries), that took place in the mid to late 1990s and was the greatest period of music bar none (debateable).

Still, effectively it means a song by someone on this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Britpop_musicians

So get your votes to me as soon as possible, and the next round will go up on Monday or Tuesday.

Here are some reasons for you...

Billie Jean
Although not personally my favourite song of his (soft spot for Man in the Mirror), or even his biggest selling, there is no doubt that Michael Jackson could make iconic songs and videos. and although Thriller might have been a bigger phenomenon, there is no doubt that when that killer base line kicks in, everyone will recognise it as one of the greatest entertainers of all time (but maybe not babysitter).

Rodriguez - Jane S Piddy. Marginally the greatest song by easily the greatest artist no-one's heard of. Despite being American, until recently no-one knew of him outside of, bizarrely SA &, to a lesser extent, Aus but he makes Bob Dylan sound like a weak entrant on a local talent show.

Johnny Cash - I Walk The Line
It might not be his most popular song ever but it's my clear favourite. If you've seen the video of him singing it live at Montreux (a superb live version) it really hammers home how good a song it is.

Don McClean - Vincent - Depressing for some I expect but I love the words and tune.

Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley. One of the great records by The King of Rock and Roll.

Prince - Purple Rain 8 minutes and 41 seconds of pure bliss (the album version). Guitar solos, backing gospel singers, 5ft 1in purple cladded weirdos that change their name to a symbol, what more can you want in an epic track?

1) Johnny Cash- Hurt
One of the best covers ever, even admitted by the Nine Inch Nails to be better than their original. Full of regret and despair and brimming with such personal meaning that it touches the soul. Cash's deep voice, worn raw by age, perfectly matches the rawness of the lyrics and his sadness matches the sadness of the melody and the fervent cry for answers in the chorus. Made even more poignant by the singer's death soon afterward

Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond ........................ classic song , that you just have to join in with

Thunder Road is simply one of the best songs ever written by my favourite ever singer. Unbelievable! From the 1st note of the piano you're taen on a ride through America.

Like a Rolling Stone is the opening track on Dylan's best album and one of the greatest songs ever recorded. Dylan is the ultimate Solo artist, and this is his ultimate song!

Madonna - Like a Virgin
One of the best american female solo artists of all time with a song that defined a generation

Forget You
I went for a popular song. Sue me.

Marvin Gaye - Heard It Through The Grapevine. Do not get songs with soul like this anymore. Power and poise, ridiculously cool and the singing is of such a beautiful range. And its a rare song that completely shows off how insanely good someones voice is without being a ballad. You can listen to this happy, sad, calm or mad. Best simple drum beat in a song too, but its all about the pure brilliance that Marvin Gaye's voice is.

Last edited by sodhat on Thu 30 May 2013, 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Empty Re: Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist

Post by Union Cane Thu 30 May 2013, 1:04 pm

Superstitious Minds - Elvis Presley

Headscratch
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist Empty Re: Music Cup: Round 3 - Songs by a US-born solo artist

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 May 2013, 1:05 pm

sodhat wrote:

There is a vast array of songs to choose from here, but you can only select two. And if you listen to Tino it can't be your own or you're a morally corrupt slop bucket of a person.

That's not quite what I said, but I wish I had as it's a perfect description*.

*Apart from for Galted who is feeling a little down at the moment.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 30 May 2013, 1:06 pm

I'm caught in a trap
I can't get out.
It's a ladder and a black cat.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 30 May 2013, 1:08 pm

Oooh - some great choices this time (and for my money better songs than last round)

Cant choose between:

Michael Jackson
Tom Petty
Marvyn Gaye
Neil Diamond

Are there reasons this time?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 30 May 2013, 1:09 pm

I'm surprised you're not going for the Purple one, thought you were a huge fan of him.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 30 May 2013, 1:10 pm

Adam D wrote:Oooh - some great choices this time (and for my money better songs than last round)

Cant choose between:

Michael Jackson
Tom Petty
Marvyn Gaye
Neil Diamond

Are there reasons this time?

Yep, sorry. It isn't the only mistake I made on this poll either so thanks to admin for making it multiple choice after I neglected to thumbsup

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:12 pm

Went for my own song and Marvin Gaye as I think they are the best. The MJ songs are not near MJ's best, would have Billie Jean in my top 5 MJ songs but can't vote for either of those. Suspicious Minds not near Elvis' best. Petty good. American Pie good but not as good as the other two. Not Jay-Z's best song, nor Dylan's (surprised to only see 1)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 May 2013, 1:13 pm

So Sick - NeYo Shocked

For the love of God.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 May 2013, 1:14 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Went for my own song

Shame on you, Jersey. You said you wouldn't be doing that.

My feelings are hurt.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:15 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Went for my own song

Shame on you, Jersey. You said you wouldn't be doing that.

My feelings are hurt.

It's the best song there! Fine, I'll vote for Petty then
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:16 pm

Can we make it cancellable vote?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 30 May 2013, 1:16 pm

Good god, dont let Johnny Cash Hurt win.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:17 pm

Adam D wrote:Good god, dont let Johnny Cash Hurt win.

Why ever not? Headscratch
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 May 2013, 1:18 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:I'll vote for Petty then

That's the spirit, pal.

I actually voted for this as one of mine. Love this tune although I prefer American Girl.

Went for Madge as my other choice. Song of a generation.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 30 May 2013, 1:18 pm

I love Hurt by Cash, for me the greatest cover song ever done, but being that its a cover it does lessen my leaning towards it.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:18 pm

Can't stand Madonna's music
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:19 pm

If you can make a cover your own and both utterly change the tone of the song and better the original, then I don't see why that should detract from the song.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 30 May 2013, 1:21 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:I'll vote for Petty then

That's the spirit, pal.

I actually voted for this as one of mine. Love this tune although I prefer American Girl.

I love Petty too.

Personal faves are American Girl, Running Down a Dream and Mary Janes Last Dance

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 30 May 2013, 1:24 pm

Next round is so difficult to choose from.

Not sure whether to go populist, mid populist or just my fave.

I know I will go for just something rubbish in the end!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:25 pm

Oh God, I hate Brit Pop
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:26 pm

Vincent and Like a rolling stone.

I may have been inclined to vote for Man in the Mirror if that was a MJ choice!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 May 2013, 1:26 pm

Adam D wrote:Mary Janes Last Dance

Great tune.

I actually still like 'Won't Back Down', despite Enzo Maccarinelli using it as his ring walk music. Now if ever there was a man who should back down it is Enzo.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:26 pm

I went for Hurt - Johnny Cash, the best cover of all time, one of the songs which really got to me the first time I heard it. I didn't bother voting for a second song, as I don't really like any on there. Considered Billie Jean, but didn't feel like it should get a vote just out of default.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 30 May 2013, 1:27 pm

I loved Brit Pop, the choice I went with was probably the popularist one of a band of which I prefer other tracks though.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:29 pm

Brit pop next up.

Is everyone going to pick OASIS.

Get your votes in quick !

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:32 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Vincent and Like a rolling stone.

I may have been inclined to vote for Man in the Mirror if that was a MJ choice!

I would have too
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:33 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Brit pop next up.

Is everyone going to pick OASIS.

Get your votes in quick !

Oasis shall not be getting my vote
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 30 May 2013, 1:34 pm

Britpop hits are going like hot cakes. If you want a popular one, move quickly!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 May 2013, 1:34 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

Oasis shall not be getting my vote

What if every single other nomination is a Fast Food Rockers song?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:36 pm

As I got only my 3rd choice, I by definition know what songs I am voting for!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 30 May 2013, 1:44 pm

I went for Like A Rolling Stone (which was my back-up choice, so watch it beat my song now) and Born In The USA. I like the message in both songs. I listened to the Dylan one a lot while meandering my way overland to Hong Kong, and I like how some Americans only hear the chorus of the latter and think it's a celebration of their country. Smile

NEITHER OF THOSE SONGS ARE MINE.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 30 May 2013, 1:47 pm

You have good taste Giallolbu

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 30 May 2013, 1:47 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:I went for Like A Rolling Stone (which was my back-up choice, so watch it beat my song now) and Born In The USA. I like the message in both songs. I listened to the Dylan one a lot while meandering my way overland to Hong Kong, and I like how some Americans only hear the chorus of the latter and think it's a celebration of their country. Smile

I had/have a friend who hated that song for that very reason. Without listening to it properly he thought it was some sort of rant about how superior the USA is. I told him it probably couldn't be more wrong and I think he still hates it.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 30 May 2013, 1:55 pm

Heard it through the Grapevine and Hurt are the two best songs on there. But I voted for Sweet Caroline instead because its always been my song for my girlfriend. Like a Rolling Stone was the first record my dad ever bought and as a teenager he made me love it too.

I like and have seen Ne-yo live and still wouldn't consider voting for him.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 30 May 2013, 1:56 pm

I went for Walk The Line and Like A Rolling Stone, the 2 best songs on this list by a stretch.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 30 May 2013, 1:57 pm

sodhat wrote:
Il Gialloblu wrote:I went for Like A Rolling Stone (which was my back-up choice, so watch it beat my song now) and Born In The USA. I like the message in both songs. I listened to the Dylan one a lot while meandering my way overland to Hong Kong, and I like how some Americans only hear the chorus of the latter and think it's a celebration of their country. Smile

I had/have a friend who hated that song for that very reason. Without listening to it properly he thought it was some sort of rant about how superior the USA is. I told him it probably couldn't be more wrong and I think he still hates it.

Prefab Sprout's Cars & Girls is supposed to be a p1ss-take of Springsteen's shallowness in song-writing. Pretty embarrassing that he possesses more depth and social awareness than they do. Silly criticising another singer in your song but at least get it right if you do.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 30 May 2013, 2:04 pm

Very surprised that Born in the USA (decent anthem if you like that sort of thing) gets the nod over Born To Run, still as relevant now as it was almost forty years ago. Greatest pop/rock song of all time.

Thunder Road and Heard it Through the Grapevine of those offered.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Thu 30 May 2013, 2:05 pm

What a horrific list of songs!
Hurt by Johnny Cash is easily my first pick. I'm struggling to pick a second.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 May 2013, 2:27 pm

this was really difficult, i have chosen Johnny Cash and Tom Petty

I was debating these two along with Jackson, Dylan and Presley. I think had there been different songs from each I may have chosen them

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 30 May 2013, 2:33 pm

sent you my round 4 picks sodhat
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 30 May 2013, 2:34 pm

Got it - as always, if I don't reply then you have got your first choice OK

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 30 May 2013, 2:48 pm

I like the Tom Petty song but certainly seems to have his fanclub on here today!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 30 May 2013, 4:57 pm

American Girl is better! Free Fallin just reminds me of cheesy tv and awful montages from bad films. I cant listen to it, I just tried and the whole thing is horrendous.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 30 May 2013, 4:59 pm

Went for Billie Jean and Sweet Caroline. Got to admit, I forgot about MJ when thinking of a song Erm
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 30 May 2013, 5:03 pm

Immediately I thought of Elvis, Jacko and Springsteen so tried to veer away from them thinking I'd get a vote split.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 30 May 2013, 5:06 pm

Definitely not going obvious on the britpop one, was also tempted to cheat a bit with a britpop band but not a britpop song as such. Gone for one I love that wont get votes instead, keeping my stance of not trying to win.

Cant understand people who dont like songs from this list. Some quality songs on there. I was choosing between Bill Withers, Frank Sinatra and Marvin Gaye when making my choice, spent a great night listening to music.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 May 2013, 5:19 pm

This voting makes me sick to my back teeth. Just when you think you're surrounded by good, sensible people, up comes the Music Cup to make you realise just how dumb the majority of people are Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 30 May 2013, 5:21 pm

Who've you voted for then Azzy?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 5:58 pm

Thanks Azzy, constructive there
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next