The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia

+11
damage_13
samuraidragon
BigTrevsbigmac
majesticimperialman
flyhalffactory
Seagultaf
welshboii15
TJ1
thebluesmancometh
Sgt_Pooly
maestegmafia
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Outside Centre for the Lions

Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap39%Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 39% 
[ 36 ]
Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap0%Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap42%Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 39 ]
Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap0%Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap19%Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 18 ]

Total Votes : 93

Poll closed

Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:04 am

Six nations is done. We are a year on since I last held one of these polls and the long term aim was to compare what we selected a year out, a month out and the final squad.

You can pick one player only as your first choice.

I think I have grabbed most of the names in the hat, though my apologies if anyone you consider worthy has been forgotten, if you ask nicely then I am sure one of our excellent moderators might take the time to be kind enough to offer their much valued assistance.

The players included either showed in the Six Nations squads or have been regularly talked of as prospects on the various threads on here.

THERE ARE TWO THREADS ON CENTRES ONE IS FOR INSIDE CENTRE THE OTHER IS FOR OUTSIDE CENTRE.

Looseheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42452-loosehead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Hookers - https://www.606v2.com/t42471-hooker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Tightheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42486-tighthead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Lock No. 4 - https://www.606v2.com/t42501-number-4-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956467

Lock no. 5 - https://www.606v2.com/t42502-number-5-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Blindside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42514-blindside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Openside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42515-ospenside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956975

Number 8 - https://www.606v2.com/t42518-number-eight-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958144

Scrumhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42531-scrumhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Flyhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42539-flyhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958609

Inside Centre - https://www.606v2.com/t42557-inside-centre-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1959728

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Re: Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by Guest Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:12 am

Tuilagi for me.

Back to top Go down

Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Re: Outside Centre choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 12:21 pm

I can't see him in the centre at all. He's a winger played at 13 because the English and Tiger lack options. Put him out wide and you'll see the best of him.

I think JD2 or BOD are the best options to take. I want BOD in the mix for his experience, and charisma. He can really lift a team. Knows how to get the guys focused when chips are a bit down.

JD2 is just an excellent centre, especially at 13, power, pace, neat foot work, good kicking brain. He makes tries for those around him, scores a few too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 01 Apr 2013, 12:56 pm

Tuilagi

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 01 Apr 2013, 12:59 pm

Tuilagi would be better suited at 12 IMHO, obviously plenty of time during the games to intechange but 12 on his back would be far more conducive to his attributes.

And for all the naysayers I would still like to see him play alongside Roberts, it's the kind of partnership that seems so unlikely but so often work!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 1:03 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Tuilagi would be better suited at 12 IMHO, obviously plenty of time during the games to intechange but 12 on his back would be far more conducive to his attributes.

And for all the naysayers I would still like to see him play alongside Roberts, it's the kind of partnership that seems so unlikely but so often work!

You'll have to explain how the two centres famed for their lack of ability to pass the ball, neither can kick a ball whatsoever, would make the best Centre partnership for the Lions.

It is definitely a theory that needs expanding upon.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 1:04 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Tuilagi would be better suited at 12 IMHO, obviously plenty of time during the games to intechange but 12 on his back would be far more conducive to his attributes.

You'll have to explain how the two centres famed for their lack of ability to pass the ball, neither can kick a ball whatsoever, would make the best Centre partnership for the Lions.

If they are playing outside of Phillips and Farrell it don't matter that they cannot pass or kick as they will see no ball either :-)

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 1:15 pm

SYNOPSIS OF THE POLL SO FAR...

Forwards

Cian Healy 41% 31
Rory Best 49% 37
Adam Jones 62% 36
Richie Gray 16% 22
Geoff Parling 14% 23
Chris Robshaw 27% 16
Justin Tipuric 44% 22
John Beattie 37% 22 (Toby Faletau 1 vote short)

Backs

Ben Youngs 54% 27
Jonny Sexton 44% 18
Jamie Roberts is tied with Billy Twelvetrees 31% 4
Manu Tuilagi 50% 7 (Brian O'Driscoll is 1 vote short)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 01 Apr 2013, 1:20 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

How often do we see Gatlands teams open up? How often did JD2 have to make the big flashy passes this year? Both players can pass off both hands decently enough, and Gatland doesn't play wide risky games anyway, he likes to play a low risk kicking game, chase strongly and carry in the tighter channells, infact He likes to only throw the FB and blindside wing into the line when there is a scoring opportunity!!!

How often have you seen JD2 need to use his boot this season? Not often at all, Phillips Biggar and 1/2p will be plenty as kicking options!!!

Also lets not pretend JD2 is this big flair playing BOD style genius, he is limited ball in hand, but has worked hard to become capable, he has spent 12 months in the wilderness because Wales don't want to use him that much, he doesn't offer carrying in the tighter chanells, he doesn't see ball often, and when he does both 1/2p and Cuthbert/North have joined the open side for numbers, so his job has become easier.

Imagine us pounding Oz's narrow side for a fe phases until we've tied up a few wider players, then Phillip goes to Sexton who has Roberts running a dummy crashe line, outside is Tuilagi, North, Cuthbert and Kearney... Ouch!!

I can't see how anybody isn't willing to at least take a look at the 2 monsters partnering up!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 1:25 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

How often do we see Gatlands teams open up? How often did JD2 have to make the big flashy passes this year? Both players can pass off both hands decently enough, and Gatland doesn't play wide risky games anyway, he likes to play a low risk kicking game, chase strongly and carry in the tighter channells, infact He likes to only throw the FB and blindside wing into the line when there is a scoring opportunity!!!

How often have you seen JD2 need to use his boot this season? Not often at all, Phillips Biggar and 1/2p will be plenty as kicking options!!!

Also lets not pretend JD2 is this big flair playing BOD style genius, he is limited ball in hand, but has worked hard to become capable, he has spent 12 months in the wilderness because Wales don't want to use him that much, he doesn't offer carrying in the tighter chanells, he doesn't see ball often, and when he does both 1/2p and Cuthbert/North have joined the open side for numbers, so his job has become easier.

Imagine us pounding Oz's narrow side for a fe phases until we've tied up a few wider players, then Phillip goes to Sexton who has Roberts running a dummy crashe line, outside is Tuilagi, North, Cuthbert and Kearney... Ouch!!

I can't see how anybody isn't willing to at least take a look at the 2 monsters partnering up!!

Cheers Blues, you have some very good points there.. I am sure many will consider those as options.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 1:52 pm

People say about how often do we see garlands team open up this year. How about answering this how many times did he coach last year after the six nations once and that was new Zealand. You can't go crash ball centres because like was found out it don't work you need skill and power

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:04 pm

welshboii15 wrote:People say about how often do we see garlands team open up this year. How about answering this how many times did he coach last year after the six nations once and that was new Zealand. You can't go crash ball centres because like was found out it don't work you need skill and power

Like who for instance?

BOD used to have skill and power, but is way past his best. Twelvetrees has skill but cant get into the England team, the best three centres in the 6N are Davies, Roberts and Tuilagi and I suspect that Gatland will perm any two from these three for the Lions test team.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:08 pm

Yes but JD2 has skill power pace kicking ability so it would be JD2 and tuilagi or JD2 and Roberts.

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:09 pm

Agree there Boii, I'd have a JD + Tuilagi/Roberts

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:13 pm

I understand there needs to be power but against Australia there needs to be more skill

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:18 pm

welshboii15 wrote:Yes but JD2 has skill power pace kicking ability so it would be JD2 and tuilagi or JD2 and Roberts.

Totally agree JD is IMHO a better 12 than 13 as he the all the pace, superb balance off either foot, great delicate left peg, good hands and his try ratio to opportunities given is second to none. But Gatland likes to go with a big 12 who has two or maybe three defenders marking him thus allowing room for the faster more skilful 13. I would rather it be the other was around with the skilful pacy centre at 12 and opening space for the big crash ball centre on the outside

I would go

12 Davies
13 Tuilagi or Roberts
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:22 pm

JD/Tuilagi would be a great combo

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:28 pm

Tualaghi

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:33 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Tualaghi

Some Italian guy Madge
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 5:47 pm

Must admit I am surprised to se Tuilagi and BOD neck a neck...! I thought there would be more votes for JD2 but he is now leading the inside centre poll.

JD2 with BOd outside him would be very useful.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 01 Apr 2013, 6:32 pm

JD2 with Tuilagi outside him could be devastating, not sold on BOD as a starting option personally although I'd like him to tour.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:29 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:JD2 with Tuilagi outside him could be devastating, not sold on BOD as a starting option personally although I'd like him to tour.

As much as I normally agree with Maes (and not you Sgt_Pooly), on this occasion I would go along with you

12 JD
13 Tualagi or Roberts

Is my call at this point
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:34 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:JD2 with Tuilagi outside him could be devastating, not sold on BOD as a starting option personally although I'd like him to tour.

As much as I normally agree with Maes (and not you Sgt_Pooly), on this occasion I would go along with you

12 JD
13 Tualagi or Roberts

Is my call at this point

FHF

I noticed a few times you would switch Roberts and Davies around... Whats your thinking there?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:39 pm

Have we a history of not agreeing Fly???

I just can't see past that midfield. BOD should tour but not sure he should start. JD & Tuilagi are currently the best two midfielders in the NH(throw in Fofana too), they would really trouble Aus.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:14 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Have we a history of not agreeing Fly???

I just can't see past that midfield. BOD should tour but not sure he should start. JD & Tuilagi are currently the best two midfielders in the NH(throw in Fofana too), they would really trouble Aus.

Why is Tuilagi one of the two best?

Try count?
Assists?
Minimal tackles missed?
Fewer knock on's?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:32 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Have we a history of not agreeing Fly???

I just do not think that BOD will go on the Lions tour to be honest with you. I think he will retire from all international rugby before the Lions tour starts. Just my opinion you understand.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:43 pm

Maes, you're not a fan Tuilagi I get that. I'm not looking to convert you, it'a your opinion.

My opinion is he's one of the best 13's in world rugby at the tender age of 21 and he's only going to get better.

Lets just agree to disagree.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:47 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Maes, you're not a fan Tuilagi I get that. I'm not looking to convert you, it'a your opinion.

My opinion is he's one of the best 13's in world rugby at the tender age of 21 and he's only going to get better.

Lets just agree to disagree.

No I am a huge fan of his, I just don't think he is anywhere near as good a centre as you keep saying. What I keep asking when you keep saying how fantastic you think he is, why do you think he is so good...?

So please tell us, what it is that makes him a better outside centre than everyone else?

I have given you plenty of reasons why I do not agree with you.

Lets here your reasoning...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:53 pm

I've no intention of getting into a debate/argument with you about Tuilagi. I'm wasting my time and yours as you already have an opinion of him which isn't going to change.

He's a freakish talent and he seems to be doing quite well in the poll.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:15 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2301596/Northampton-8-Leicester-36-match-report-Manu-Tuilagi-runs-riot.html

Latest game played by Tuilagi. Is there a more in form centre?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:30 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I've no intention of getting into a debate/argument with you about Tuilagi. I'm wasting my time and yours as you already have an opinion of him which isn't going to change.

He's a freakish talent and he seems to be doing quite well in the poll.

I am not trying to incite an argument, I have asked you why, what it is that you rate about him.

You are a very avid supporter of the man, I think it would benefit the thread to hear why you are such a big fan. What is it that sets Tuilagi apart?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:21 pm

I think tuilagi is a good but limited player. He may well develop further but I want someone who has that bit more - the subtle skills of BOD or the silky running of Guscott - you get the idea.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:32 pm

Good game by Jon Davies at outside centre on Saturday.

Highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi64MN-hlmA

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:51 pm

Davies is a class act but Rabo form is really hard to judge due to the standard of the league.

Tuilagi is the form 13 in the NH right now, he's a shoe in for the Lions. The debate is who to play alongside him really.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Tue 02 Apr 2013, 9:10 am

maestegmafia wrote:Good game by Jon Davies at outside centre on Saturday.

Highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi64MN-hlmA

Hmmmm.... Crossing / obstruction for the first try and a clear forward pass for the second.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Apr 2013, 6:08 pm

The poll is open until a week before the squad is announced, there is still a decent amount of rugby to be played and peoples thoughts and views may change. As it stands currently these are the Squad choices by the mob that contributes to 606V2.

I dont know the make up or how many he really will pick so i am just running with top three options...

Loosehead Prop 89 votes so far

Cian Healy 39
Ryan Grant 20
Gethin Jenkins 15

Hooker 92 votes so far

Rory Best 45
Richard Hibbard 21
Tom Youngs 11

Tighthead 74 votes so far

Adam Jones 47
Dan Cole 19
Euan Murray 4

Locks 144 votes so far over the two polls so averaging 72 Votes

Geoff Parling 29
Richie Gray 29
AWJ 21
Ian Evans 20

Blindeside Flankers 78 votes so far

Chris Robshaw 19
Kelly Brown 18
Sean O'Brien 17

Openside Flankers 74 votes so far

Justin Tipuric 33
Sam Warburton 14
Chris Robshaw 13 (leading the Blindside option)
Ross Rennie 8 (Next best after Robshaw)

Number Eight 73 votes so far

Toby Faletau 28
John Beattie 26
Ben Morgan 10

Scrumhalf 73 votes so far

Ben Youngs 38
Mike Phillips 20
Greig Laidlaw 10

Flyhalf 59 votes so far

Jonny Sexton 30
Owen Farrell 13
Dan Biggar 6

Inside Centre 53 votes so far

Billy Twelvetrees 11
Jonathan Davies 13 (Also 3rd in the outside centre Poll)
Matt Scott 11
Jamie Roberts & Luke Marshall 7 (If we were to consider JD2 at outside)

Outside Centre

Brian O'Driscoll 22
Manu Tuilagi 22
Jonathan Davies 9

Right Winger 44 Votes so far

Sean Maitland 22
Alex Cuthbert 11
Christian Wade 7

Left Winger 45 votes so far

George North 21
Tim Visser 8
Simon Zebo 5

Fullback 59 votes so far

Stuart Hogg 25
Leigh Halfpenny 22
Rob Keaney 7

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 2:34 pm

I like Manu as a person and player, but he is at best operating at 50% effectiveness until he learns to consistently draw and pass when the crash ball option isn't there.

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:43 pm

Well said

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:14 am

Tuilagi and BOD, Davies on the bench thumbsup
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 21 Apr 2013, 4:15 pm

Another weekend done and dusted. The squad to be announced after the next...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 23 Apr 2013, 8:27 pm

Tuilagi's most memerable moment for me was clocking Aston. Tuilagi is a limited player Roberts won the battle against Wales with ease, he was not in the game against The Ospreys match I was at and he was hardly involved against Toulon. When he up against big players he offers very little, does he lose interest?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Apr 2013, 8:38 pm

Glam I agree, but I sincerely consider its because he is naturally gifted to play wing not centre.

I would like to see him on tour but out wide and concentrating on his pace and strength in space rather than limiting our outside backs involvement.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 23 Apr 2013, 9:20 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Tuilagi's most memerable moment for me was clocking Aston.
That's a stupid comment.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:33 pm

Tuilagi doesn't play wing.

People keep stating incorrectly that Roberts kept Tuilagi quiet in the Wales game negating the fact Manu played 13 and Roberts 12.

When your pack gets dominated you don't see much attacking ball at 13, it's doesn't take too much brains to see why Tuilagi was quiet against Wales.

He's had quiet games and outstanding games since then, he imo is the NH's best 13.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:11 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Tuilagi doesn't play wing.

People keep stating incorrectly that Roberts kept Tuilagi quiet in the Wales game negating the fact Manu played 13 and Roberts 12.

When your pack gets dominated you don't see much attacking ball at 13, it's doesn't take too much brains to see why Tuilagi was quiet against Wales.

He's had quiet games and outstanding games since then, he imo is the NH's best 13.
Pretty sure he has played wing, and very convinced he would be a lot better at it than he is at centre. Tuilagi doesn't have the skills to be a top centre.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:20 am

He's already a top centre

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:29 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:He's already a top centre

In England maybe. But there are three other countries involved and they each have players with more skill passing, kicking, running and creating than Tuilagi does.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:57 pm

No he's a top centre on the world stage, you just don't register this.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:59 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:No he's a top centre on the world stage, you just don't register this.

Register?

I don't agree with you. Not in the slightest.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:04 pm

That's fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next