The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia

+15
Cyril
irnbrew
Jhamer25
majesticimperialman
TJ1
flyhalffactory
Totalflanker
bedfordwelsh
Bigman666
ChequeredJersey
RuggerRadge2611
Shifty
Knowsit17
t1000advancedprototype
maestegmafia
19 posters

Go down

Openside Flanker for the Lions

Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap16%Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 18 ]
Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap3%Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap3%Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap2%Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap0%Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap8%Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 9 ]
[ 4 ]
Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap0%Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap17%Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 19 ]
Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap50%Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 57 ]

Total Votes : 115

Poll closed

Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Sat 30 Mar 2013, 2:33 pm

Six nations is done. We are a year on since I last held one of these polls and the long term aim was to compare what we selected a year out, a month out and the final squad.

You can pick one player only as your first choice.

I think I have grabbed most of the names in the hat, though my apologies if anyone you consider worthy has been forgotten, if you ask nicely then I am sure one of our excellent moderators might take the time to be kind enough to offer their much valued assistance.

The players included either showed in the Six Nations squads or have been regularly talked of as prospects on the various threads on here.

I have a feeling this poll should be close...

There are a number of players included who play both Openside and Blindside flanker or even all three backrow positions. If you think that you would like to see a player at 7 vote in this poll.

If you want to see them at 6 or at 8, you can vote in either the Blindside Poll will have to wait until the number 8 poll is launched.

Looseheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42452-loosehead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Hookers - https://www.606v2.com/t42471-hooker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Tightheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42486-tighthead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Lock No. 4 - https://www.606v2.com/t42501-number-4-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956467

Lock no. 5 - https://www.606v2.com/t42502-number-5-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Blindside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42514-blindside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Number 8 - https://www.606v2.com/t42518-number-eight-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958144

Scrumhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42531-scrumhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Flyhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42539-flyhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958609

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun 31 Mar 2013, 4:37 pm; edited 3 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Re: Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Sat 30 Mar 2013, 2:53 pm

Tough competition here too... Like the Blindside thread there are some talented candidates.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Re: Openside flanker choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sat 30 Mar 2013, 3:09 pm

Nothing compares to tippur itch.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 3:26 pm

Wasn't aware Coughlan and Harley could play openside.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 30 Mar 2013, 5:56 pm

Tipuric taking an early lead in the Poll. After his last three performances its no surprise.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 30 Mar 2013, 6:40 pm

Tipuric
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:26 am

Tipuric looks like everyones favourite at the moment.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Mar 2013, 1:55 pm

The Pack so far is looking like this

Cian Healy 41% 27
Rory Best 47% 28
Adam Jones 61% 30
Geoff Parling 15.4% 17
AW Jones 15.4% 17
Kelly Brown 28% 12
Justin Tipuric 43% 13
John Beattie 39% 12

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:The Pack so far is looking like this

Cian Healy 41% 27
Rory Best 47% 28
Adam Jones 61% 30
Geoff Parling 15.4% 17
AW Jones 15.4% 17
Kelly Brown 28% 12
Justin Tipuric 43% 13
John Beattie 39% 12

Despite picking Faletau at No8 I really like look of that back row but doubt very much thats what it will be.

Bedford mate

I hear what you are saying. I agree with the poll on the openside debate. Tipuric has proved to be the man, but he needs a fast and good tackling six to get him in the game. So Blindside has to be either Warburton or Wood in my opinion. An eight such as Beattie, Faletau or Morgan could work well with those flankers.

I think Robshaw isn't a good enough Openside or Blindside, or leader to get in to the test fifteen. Armitage hasn't done well enough in International rugby, turned his back on England a while ago, and I don't think he offers more than Tips or Warburton as a likely openside.

I would like to see us base a backrow around an exciting young lad like Tipuric, fast flowing rugby outside a tough and solid pack.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 4:49 pm

Tipiric is awesome. Its an easy choice for me. Had Rennie been fit or Barclay had some game time there would be IMO some competition for the "fetcher" role.

SOB should tour but I reckon his skill suit either 6 or 8 better. Robshaw would be another strong candidate for 7 or 6.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Mar 2013, 4:55 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Tipiric is awesome. Its an easy choice for me. Had Rennie been fit or Barclay had some game time there would be IMO some competition for the "fetcher" role.

SOB should tour but I reckon his skill suit either 6 or 8 better. Robshaw would be another strong candidate for 7 or 6.

I really didn't rate Sean O'Brien this tournament. He hadn't looked great for Leinster post injury either. He has a route one option, not a footballing brain.

I can see why you wouldn't count him as a seven, but i also think a number of sixes are ahead of him too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 31 Mar 2013, 5:36 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:The Pack so far is looking like this

Cian Healy 41% 27
Rory Best 47% 28
Adam Jones 61% 30
Geoff Parling 15.4% 17
AW Jones 15.4% 17
Kelly Brown 28% 12
Justin Tipuric 43% 13
John Beattie 39% 12

Despite picking Faletau at No8 I really like look of that back row but doubt very much thats what it will be.

Bedford mate

I hear what you are saying. I agree with the poll on the openside debate. Tipuric has proved to be the man, but he needs a fast and good tackling six to get him in the game. So Blindside has to be either Warburton or Wood in my opinion. An eight such as Beattie, Faletau or Morgan could work well with those flankers.

I think Robshaw isn't a good enough Openside or Blindside, or leader to get in to the test fifteen. Armitage hasn't done well enough in International rugby, turned his back on England a while ago, and I don't think he offers more than Tips or Warburton as a likely openside.

I would like to see us base a backrow around an exciting young lad like Tipuric, fast flowing rugby outside a tough and solid pack.

Brown isn't a hard enough tackling 6 for you? Going to disagree with you 100000000000% on Robshaw but was always going to. But for me Brown amd Tipuric is an excellent combo, no need to play Warbs at 6...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 31 Mar 2013, 5:37 pm

I chose Robshaw at 6 though (and Tips at 7). Realistically i see Robshaw touring and playing midweek though
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Mar 2013, 6:55 pm

We always see Robshaw at his best dont we, the guy never drops off a game. Admirable quality, but he is neither the best option at blindside or openside for England or the Lions in my opinion and that might be the deciding factor should the coaches agree.

I read that Gatland was very impressed with him during the week he spent with the England squad.

I thought he would get a great deal more votes than he has so far on this poll. Thought that he Tipuric, Warburton and maybe one of the Scots would be a close run race.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 1:17 pm

SYNOPSIS OF THE POLL SO FAR...

Forwards

Cian Healy 41% 31
Rory Best 49% 37
Adam Jones 62% 36
Richie Gray 16% 22
Geoff Parling 14% 23
Chris Robshaw 27% 16
Justin Tipuric 44% 22
John Beattie 37% 22 (Toby Faletau 1 vote short)

Backs

Ben Youngs 54% 27
Jonny Sexton 44% 18
Jamie Roberts is tied with Billy Twelvetrees 31% 4
Manu Tuilagi 50% 7 (Brian O'Driscoll is 1 vote short)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigman666 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:18 pm

Can't believe Tipuric is leading the vote

Bigman666

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:21 pm

Bigman666 wrote:Can't believe Tipuric is leading the vote

With the exception of Armitage, Tipuric is the only out an out flyer of a 7 on the list really so mybe thats what people want to see.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:58 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:

With the exception of Armitage, Tipuric is the only out an out flyer of a 7 on the list really so mybe thats what people want to see.

Bit harsh on Ross Rennie - he's an out and out 7.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:20 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:

Ross Rennie is an out and out openside!! and when on form is a country mile ahead of anyone on that list, I doubt whether an on form Tuperic (as good as he is) could "Out-Pocock" Pocock who was at his peak like Rennie did for the full 80 mins.

Like Lydiate who I believe is the best 6 when on top form you have to take both and hope they have enough match exposue coming up to the first test
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:35 pm

Is Rennie fit again?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:19 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Is Rennie fit again?
Yes - - played for Edinburgh on Friday

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Apr 2013, 8:30 am

TJ wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Is Rennie fit again?
Yes - - played for Edinburgh on Friday

Good news... I'll check out the game. Cheers

What did you think of him, is he showing good signs of being a contender, he's not got too long left.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 02 Apr 2013, 8:36 am

Quite honestly I didn't notice him when watching the game ( but was concentrating on laidlaw ). Stats show he didn't do a huge amount.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Apr 2013, 8:50 am

First game back always tough. Was he on the whole game?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Apr 2013, 6:05 pm

The poll is open until a week before the squad is announced, there is still a decent amount of rugby to be played and peoples thoughts and views may change. As it stands currently these are the Squad choices by the mob that contributes to 606V2.

I dont know the make up or how many he really will pick so i am just running with top three options...

Loosehead Prop 89 votes so far

Cian Healy 39
Ryan Grant 20
Gethin Jenkins 15

Hooker 92 votes so far

Rory Best 45
Richard Hibbard 21
Tom Youngs 11

Tighthead 74 votes so far

Adam Jones 47
Dan Cole 19
Euan Murray 4

Locks 144 votes so far over the two polls so averaging 72 Votes

Geoff Parling 29
Richie Gray 29
AWJ 21
Ian Evans 20

Blindeside Flankers 78 votes so far

Chris Robshaw 19
Kelly Brown 18
Sean O'Brien 17

Openside Flankers 74 votes so far

Justin Tipuric 33
Sam Warburton 14
Chris Robshaw 13 (leading the Blindside option)
Ross Rennie 8 (Next best after Robshaw)

Number Eight 73 votes so far

Toby Faletau 28
John Beattie 26
Ben Morgan 10

Scrumhalf 73 votes so far

Ben Youngs 38
Mike Phillips 20
Greig Laidlaw 10

Flyhalf 59 votes so far

Jonny Sexton 30
Owen Farrell 13
Dan Biggar 6

Inside Centre 53 votes so far

Billy Twelvetrees 11
Jonathan Davies 13 (Also 3rd in the outside centre Poll)
Matt Scott 11
Jamie Roberts & Luke Marshall 7 (If we were to consider JD2 at outside)

Outside Centre

Brian O'Driscoll 22
Manu Tuilagi 22
Jonathan Davies 9

Right Winger 44 Votes so far

Sean Maitland 22
Alex Cuthbert 11
Christian Wade 7

Left Winger 45 votes so far

George North 21
Tim Visser 8
Simon Zebo 5

Fullback 59 votes so far

Stuart Hogg 25
Leigh Halfpenny 22
Rob Keaney 7

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 21 Apr 2013, 5:35 pm

Another weekend done and dusted. The squad to be announced after the next...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 21 Apr 2013, 8:20 pm

I've gone for Chris Robshaw. Atleast Chris Robshaw is first choice starter for his club, and his country.

Unlike Tipuric, who may be first choice starter for his club, but he is not first choice starter for his country. now is he?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 21 Apr 2013, 9:18 pm

I would have Sam Warbs, he is by far the best on his day and stepped up when we needed him the most in the six nations, but for christ sake i wouldn't give him captaincy. Nor robshaw who I would have 6 at the moment, with ferris out and lydiate only just come back and hasn't been in form. There are other 6 like O'brian, Croft,Ryan jones but robshaw done enough for me in the six nations to prove he deserves at least one start.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Sun 21 Apr 2013, 9:40 pm

Lydiate not on form 19 unassissted tackles 10 assissited tackles 14 rucks hit on Friday against Munster if that is not on form god help the opposition when he is on form and 3 carries

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 21 Apr 2013, 9:58 pm

It's far too late for Lydiate. Decent player though OK

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Apr 2013, 7:01 am

majesticimperialman wrote:I've gone for Chris Robshaw. Atleast Chris Robshaw is first choice starter for his club, and his country.

Unlike Tipuric, who may be first choice starter for his club, but he is not first choice starter for his country. now is he?

All the pundits on BBC went for Sam or tips..

Jeremy Guscott's team: L Halfpenny (Wal), R Kearney (Ire), B O'Driscoll (Ire), J Roberts (Wal), G North (Wal); J Sexton (Ire), M Phillips (Wal); C Healy (Ire), R Hibbard (Wal), A Jones (Wal), J Launchbury (Eng), AW Jones (Wal), C Robshaw (Eng), J Tipuric (Wal), T Faletau (Wal).
Keith Wood's team: L Halfpenny (Wal), S Hogg (Sco), B O Driscoll (Ire) J Roberts (Wal), G North (Wal); J Sexton (Ire), B Youngs (Eng); G Jenkins (Wal), K Owens (Wal), A Jones (Wal), J Launchbury (Eng), AW Jones (Wal), S Warburton (Wal), J Tipuric (Wal), S O'Brien (Ire).
Andy Nicol's team: S Hogg (Sco), A Cuthbert (Wal), B O'Driscoll (Ire), M Tuilagi (Eng), G North (Wal); J Sexton (Ire), B Youngs (Eng); G Jenkins (Wal), R Best (Ire), A Jones (Wal), J Launchbury (Eng), AW Jones (Wal), T Wood (Eng), S Warburton (Wal), T Faletau (Wal).
Jonathan Davies's team: L Halfpenny (Wal), A Cuthbert (Wal), J Davies (Wal), B O'Driscoll (Ire), G North (Wal); O Farrell (Eng), M Phillips (Wal); G Jenkins (Wal), R Hibbard (Wal), A Jones (Wal), AW Jones (Wal), G Parling (Eng), S Warburton (Wal), J Tipuric (Wal), T Faletau (Wal)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 8:22 am

I still love JD's team. He obviously made a mistake in picking BOD, Farrell and Parling but I'm sure he'll change it to what he meant soon!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 22 Apr 2013, 8:57 am

maestegmafia wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:I've gone for Chris Robshaw. Atleast Chris Robshaw is first choice starter for his club, and his country.

All the pundits on BBC went for Sam or tips..

Jeremy Guscott's team: L Halfpenny (Wal), R Kearney (Ire), B O'Driscoll (Ire), J Roberts (Wal), G North (Wal); J Sexton (Ire), M Phillips (Wal); C Healy (Ire), R Hibbard (Wal), A Jones (Wal), J Launchbury (Eng), AW Jones (Wal), C Robshaw (Eng), J Tipuric (Wal), T Faletau (Wal).
Keith Wood's team: L Halfpenny (Wal), S Hogg (Sco), B O Driscoll (Ire) J Roberts (Wal), G North (Wal); J Sexton (Ire), B Youngs (Eng); G Jenkins (Wal), K Owens (Wal), A Jones (Wal), J Launchbury (Eng), AW Jones (Wal), S Warburton (Wal), J Tipuric (Wal), S O'Brien (Ire).
Andy Nicol's team: S Hogg (Sco), A Cuthbert (Wal), B O'Driscoll (Ire), M Tuilagi (Eng), G North (Wal); J Sexton (Ire), B Youngs (Eng); G Jenkins (Wal), R Best (Ire), A Jones (Wal), J Launchbury (Eng), AW Jones (Wal), T Wood (Eng), S Warburton (Wal), T Faletau (Wal).
Jonathan Davies's team: L Halfpenny (Wal), A Cuthbert (Wal), J Davies (Wal), B O'Driscoll (Ire), G North (Wal); O Farrell (Eng), M Phillips (Wal); G Jenkins (Wal), R Hibbard (Wal), A Jones (Wal), AW Jones (Wal), G Parling (Eng), S Warburton (Wal), J Tipuric (Wal), T Faletau (Wal)

and...

Selection is down to a person opinion, nothing more nothing less.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Apr 2013, 12:08 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I still love JD's team. He obviously made a mistake in picking BOD, Farrell and Parling but I'm sure he'll change it to what he meant soon!

Once rent form his team is hard to argue with bar Farrell, a goal kicker and little else. Sexton still my favourite.

Regarding opensides it will be between Warburton, Tipuric and Robshaw. Robshaw is highly respected throughout and a good player. In a lions environment he could become a great player.

Tips and Warbs have that bit extra, that Robshaw is missing.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:12 pm

He is first choice for Wales, Warburton played 6 against England!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:21 pm

glamorganalun wrote:

He isn't really. He only played there because Lydiate and Ryan Jones were injured. I don't think for one minute anyone would replace Faleteu or Tipuric for him either.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:12 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:

He isn't really. He only played there because Lydiate and Ryan Jones were injured. I don't think for one minute anyone would replace Faleteu or Tipuric for him either.

All that a side Tipuric is a hell of a popular choice in the poll above. With the performances he has given recently you can clearly see why.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:14 pm

Tipuric is 1st choice for me. He was the only Ospreys player who looked interested on Friday. He did struggle a bit with Barclay though. Scarlets will be a good place for him.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:27 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Tipuric is 1st choice for me. He was the only Ospreys player who looked interested on Friday. He did struggle a bit with Barclay though. Scarlets will be a good place for him.

Barclay is a great signing for Scarlets, a well respected talent. Hopefully it will give Glasgow good opportunity to promote one of their young stars to the first team squad.

Glasgow have been an impressive production line for top quality flankers for quite some time now.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonesaw's ready Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:32 pm

I've gone for Robshaw. Had SoB at 6 and Toby at 8. I like the idea of a big, nasty, ball carrying back row. For me then you don't need Phillips' physicality at 9 and can get better distribution to the backs from Ben Youngs.

Tips on the bench as he could make an enormous contribution coming on when the game has opened up a little after 60 mins

Bonesaw's ready

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:05 pm

Bonesaw's ready wrote:I've gone for Robshaw. Had SoB at 6 and Toby at 8. I like the idea of a big, nasty, ball carrying back row. For me then you don't need Phillips' physicality at 9 and can get better distribution to the backs from Ben Youngs.

Tips on the bench as he could make an enormous contribution coming on when the game has opened up a little after 60 mins

I've been reading a number of articles and threads where the view is that Robshaw might not even make the tour, due to tough calls to be made on both flanks and Robsgaw doesn't lead the pack on either.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:13 pm

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/features/columnists/nick-cain/8417/nick-cain-picks-his-2013-lions-tour-party-with-some-surprising-ins-and-outs/

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down