The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glenn McCrory - Mayweather not an all-time great

+17
Sam_London
spencerclarke
Makaveli
OasisBFC
Boxtthis
Seanusarrilius
azania
seanmichaels
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
88Chris05
John Bloody Wayne
vulva equinox
RanjitPatel
ONETWOFOREVER
Gee
Pedro147
21 posters

Go down

Glenn McCrory - Mayweather not an all-time great Empty Glenn McCrory - Mayweather not an all-time great

Post by Pedro147 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 3:22 pm

I would be very surprised if we see Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao square off.

The clash is not dead in the water because they remain huge names, people are still clamouring for them to meet and money, more often than not, talks in boxing.

But like a professional dust-up between Lennox Lewis and Riddick Bowe and perhaps a bout between current British middleweights Darren Barker and Matthew Macklin, I fear Mayweather-Pacquiao will never take place - unless they both REALLY want it.

Mayweather: not brave enough in the ring, says Glenn

I think the main sticking point over the years has been financial; both fighters have felt that they were the pound-for-pound king - and probably still do - and would have wanted 60 per cent of the revenue rather than a 50-50 split.

But other factors would come into it, too, with both men wanting the choice of venue, ring and gloves, and, because they detest losing, every possible advantage going.

And I think because Mayweather and Pacquiao are so evenly matched, the bout would have hinged on those aspects.

It's a shame we may not see them lock horns because it would have been a classic contest between Mayweather's defensive skills, Pacquiao's attacking talent and two great personalities - and, quite probably, the richest fight in history.

Mayweather is not going to be short of a few bob after signing a deal with American network Showtime, which could see him have six pay-per-view fights over the next 30 months.

It will be good to see him in action more regularly but I would be very surprised if, after his bout with Robert Guerrero in May, he ends up facing Kell Brook, Amir Khan, Lucas Matthysse, Timothy Bradley and Pacquiao; I expect as little as two stellar names.

Guerrero seems pretty confident of beating Mayweather, though, and he has a real chance - he is a tough guy and Mayweather is getting older - but if he can't get the job done and "Pretty Boy" fulfils his six-fight contract, I think someone will.

My inkling is that if he has a couple of narrow victories and looks like he has lost a step during them he will find a way of getting out of the agreement; he doesn't want to lose his unbeaten record and he certainly doesn't need the money.

The 36-year-old is spectacularly skilled and is one of boxing's great winners - but, for me, he is not a fighter or a warrior, like Marvin Hagler, Harry Greb, and Muhammad Ali.

I have never seen him fight with a broken jaw, never seen him pick himself up off the floor, like Sugar Ray Leonard did against Tommy Hearns, and never seen enough bravery from him; I've seen more in Adrien Broner's handful of fights than in Mayweather's 43.

He is a great champion and a great technician - but not an all-time great.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Glenn McCrory - Mayweather not an all-time great Empty Re: Glenn McCrory - Mayweather not an all-time great

Post by Gee Thu 28 Feb 2013, 3:45 pm

I have never seen him fight with a broken jaw, never seen him pick himself up off the floor

and then

but not an all-time great

Well he's made a pretty good career and living out of hitting whilst not getting hit. Did the article mention whether Glenn had been on the source when he wrote that?

Gee

Back to top Go down

Glenn McCrory - Mayweather not an all-time great Empty Re: Glenn McCrory - Mayweather not an all-time great

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 28 Feb 2013, 3:48 pm

Crazy

So Floyd should somehow allow his opponent to break his jaw to make Glenn happy?????

Do they know how to edit at sky sports or what.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 3:51 pm

Gee wrote:
I have never seen him fight with a broken jaw, never seen him pick himself up off the floor

and then

but not an all-time great

Well he's made a pretty good career and living out of hitting whilst not getting hit. Did the article mention whether Glenn had been on the source when he wrote that?

Yeah I thought the whole thing of because he was never hurt then he's not an ATG. A condradiction if I've ever seen one.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 28 Feb 2013, 3:54 pm

If Mayweather fights another 6 times then Glenn may get the chance to see Floyd get off the deck.
Glenn is obviously looking at knockdowns as plusses and avoiding them as the opposite. No appreciation for a defensive master.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by vulva equinox Thu 28 Feb 2013, 3:59 pm

Dear Glen

Stop being such a Mr Winklechops.

vulva equinox

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:11 pm

Ridiculousness from Glenn. Lewis really did some lasting damage.

Looking at Mayweather and Manny's last two fights I think a fight now (or soon) could be far more exciting than when they were in their primes. With Pacquiao looking electric against Marquez (when he wasn't being knocked down/out) and Floyd looking hittable against Cotto, it could be that thing of past it fighters providing greater entertainment because more leather lands.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:13 pm

What exactly does a fighter have to do before he qualifies to all-time great status in Glenn's eyes?

I actually can't believe that some people are still talking up THAT fight as if it still has huge significance, or as if it's still the fight everyone wants. It doesn't, and it's not.

Actually, scrub that. I can believe it. Because it's Glenn McCrory.

The man says that Froch must be a contender to be Britain's greatest fighter of all-time last year, and now says that Mayweather isn't an all-time great at all.....Jesus.....

Honestly, Jeff - what does Mrs Rowley see in him!?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:17 pm

88Chris05 wrote:

You think that's bad. Mrs Windows fancies Lucien Bute. Shocked

He looks like an even uglier version of Pete Sampras. If that is even possible.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:19 pm

You’re as baffled as I am Chris, why she would have eyes for any man when she has hit the jackpot already is beyond me.

Have got to love his comment that we should not consider him a great because we have never seen him climb of the canvas, apparently having a good chin and impenetrable defence are qualities that disprove your greatness, surely the contrary should be the case.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:21 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:

You think that's bad. Mrs Windows fancies Lucien Bute. Shocked

He looks like an even uglier version of Pete Sampras. If that is even possible.

Perhaps she just likes blokes who look like bulldogs licking vinegar off a razor blade.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:22 pm

You angling for an introduction Sean?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:23 pm

One has the feeling one is being insulted, here.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:24 pm

Rowley wrote:You angling for an introduction Sean?

clap
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:28 pm

Glen sounds like D4.

So a boxer masters the very basis of boxing which is hit and not get hit and he's classified as not that good. Perhaps Glen was hit too often and too hard.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:30 pm

I stopped reading this when he said they were evenly matched. Floyd and Pac are not evenly matched. Not anymore

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:35 pm

I think we'd all like Floyd to have been a bit more gung-ho/risky with his opponent choices. But, that said, he's the best fighter of this generation. No doubt an ATG.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:58 pm

what a Holly Wilaboobie he is.

the fact he hasnt been knocked down (officially) is surely a HUGE positive for his legacy.

people only fight with broken jaws or get up off the floor to win because their defence wasnt as good as it should have been.

floyd cemented his status as an ATG a long time ago.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Thu 28 Feb 2013, 5:36 pm

one of the most ridiculous things ive ever heard, the whole point is to hit and not be hit, without being disrespectful to glenn, i always found him abit dopey with some of the things he has said in the past, but how he can have the cheek to say this has got me stumped.

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 28 Feb 2013, 6:35 pm

He must regard hiself as an all time great then as he managed to get hit quite a bit. The word 'numpty' springs to mind

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_London Thu 28 Feb 2013, 6:54 pm

Glen McCrory, just like Steve Bunce, doesn't half talk a lot of nonsense sometimes. Regardless of what happens to Mayweather from now to the end of his career, he has to be one of the greatest boxers ever. His opposition has been of a very high calibre (Cotto, Mosley, Gatti, Hatton, De la Hoya, Corrales, Castillo, Marquez). My only regret is that he never fought Pacquiao when Pacquiao was at his peak, about two to three years ago.

Sam_London

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:43 pm

Makaveli wrote:one of the most ridiculous things ive ever heard

I do feel for these newbies who missed the Gordy/waingro eras. Welcome by the way, I rudely forgot to do so on your introduction thread.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:25 am

Yeah I always thought Gordy surpassed McCrory with ease. However this was very close to equaling some of the things Gordy came out with.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 4:21 pm

Still appears as though Big Glenn feel Floyd has to prove himself. This is from his latest article on Saul Alvarez:

But he has upped his game recently in bouts with Kermit Cintron and Josesito Lopez and is improving with every fight; he is getting stronger, punching harder, developing his defence and becoming a better all-round performer.

Alvarez looks like a Hollywood heartthrob but he fights just like the great Mexican boxers of yesteryear; he wants to get at his opponents and pick up wins, but most of all he wants to impress his passionate boxing nation and knock people out.

Alvarez looks like a Hollywood heartthrob but he fights just like the great Mexican boxers of yesteryear.Glenn McCrory
Quotes of the week
The WBC light-middleweight champion will meet unbeaten WBA counterpart Austin Trout in a unification bout on April 20 - and I would love him to face Floyd Mayweather should he come through that match in Texas unscathed.

It would be a perfect match for both men as it would allow us to see whether Alvarez is all he is cracked up to be and give Mayweather the opportunity to show that he is an all-time great - something I was ridiculed for questioning in this column a few weeks back.

Mayweather - who will kick off his big Showtime contract with a duel against Robert Guerrero in May in his first fight in a year - obviously has a load of fans who think he is a boxing legend, and he could very well become one.

But he needs to face guys of the calibre of Alvarez, Lucas Matthysse and Manny Pacquiao to prove it and not rely on wins over Ricky Hatton and a sub-par Oscar de la Hoya, who was nowhere near the fighter of old when Mayweather met him.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 4:28 pm

I honestly don't know where McCrory gets off talking this nonsense. Seriously, the guy needs to liven up.

I mean, Saul Alvarez looking like a "Holywood heartthrob"? Anyone can see he is closer to resembling a young Rick Astley.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 14 Mar 2013, 4:40 pm

Just another controversial comment to get people reading his column. He's probably very recently heard of Matthysse to drop his name in.
Think Trout will beat Canelo in any case making it 2 nil over the Alvarez family i believe.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Mar 2013, 4:45 pm

The legendary Jeff Lampkin's body shot must have hurt his brain..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 14 Mar 2013, 4:50 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I honestly don't know where McCrory gets off talking this nonsense. Seriously, the guy needs to liven up.

I mean, Saul Alvarez looking like a "Holywood heartthrob"? Anyone can see he is closer to resembling a young Rick Astley.

Rick Ashley was one voted Britain 's sexiest man. But then so was nick berry I believe. Presumably,the poll was in the saga magazine.

Maybe glen meant a heartthrob among ginger Mexicans?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 14 Mar 2013, 5:44 pm

I reckon Mayweather would have slapped around Glenn in a head to head.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down