The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glenn McCrory - this has to be a joke

+15
Nico the gman
JabMachineMK2
milkyboy
Mayweathers cellmate
AlexHuckerby
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Strongback
jimdig
compelling and rich
manos de piedra
J.Benson II
azania
bellchees
Steffan
Pedro147
19 posters

Go down

Glenn McCrory - this has to be a joke Empty Glenn McCrory - this has to be a joke

Post by Pedro147 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 4:53 pm

The fighters at welterweight will, of course, be stronger than the ones he has faced in his career so far. But Amir's biggest weapon is his speed and that will make more of a difference against bigger men than it did against guys like Danny Garcia.

A move to welterweight will also keep Khan firmly in the limelight, something he loves, because there are some very good and very well-known fighters in that division, including Floyd Mayweather and now Adrien Broner.

To beat Amir Khan you have to be prepared to push, pull and bully him but that is not Floyd Mayweather's way.

Amir is reported to be in negotiations to fight IBF champion Devon Alexander, though, and I certainly think that is a bout he could win after seeing Alexander fight Lee Purdy in Atlantic City.

The American is very good but he wasn't overly impressive against Purdy and he didn't make me think: 'Wow, this guy really is something', so Amir would have a great chance of winning.

Plus, I think Khan is the one person who would give Mayweather trouble; you could never back against Floyd winning because he is so skilful but, for me, Amir would have a 40-45 per cent chance of getting the victory.
To beat Khan you have to be prepared to push, pull and bully him but that is not Mayweather's way - he is too lazy for that - while we also don't know what state Floyd will be in if and when he comes through this very tough fight with Saul Alvarez.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Glenn McCrory - this has to be a joke Empty Re: Glenn McCrory - this has to be a joke

Post by Steffan Tue 09 Jul 2013, 4:55 pm

I want whatever McCrory is smoking

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Glenn McCrory - this has to be a joke Empty Re: Glenn McCrory - this has to be a joke

Post by bellchees Tue 09 Jul 2013, 4:57 pm

He really doesn't rate Mayweather does he. Said he wasn't a great before Mosley and said Shane would beat him so I would try not to listen to a thing he says about Floyd or anything else at all really.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 09 Jul 2013, 5:00 pm

He's boozing again.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 09 Jul 2013, 5:02 pm

He posts some strange stuff a lot of the time.
This was his Floyd-Mosley piece:

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,13275_6095282,00.html

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 09 Jul 2013, 5:03 pm

Seems to have changed his tune after calling for Khan to retire after the Garcia fight:

http://www.skysports.ie/opinion/story/0,25212,13275_7904301,00.html

I particularly like his line:

But Amir Khan made Danny Garcia look like Sonny Liston in terms of power.

Khan got bullied by Lamont Peterson and sparked by Garcia - if you look at it with any logic, what on earth is he going to do if he decides to step up into the welterweight division?

A 45% chance of beating Mayweather might answer that Glenn!

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 09 Jul 2013, 7:38 pm

think we should show this to mackem when he's had one to many to prove to him that just because you boxed doesn't mean you know boxing!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 09 Jul 2013, 8:58 pm

Mayweather is lazy?

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:02 pm

Maybe D4 is McCrory's ghost writer.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:28 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Seems to have changed his tune after calling for Khan to retire after the Garcia fight:

Khan got bullied by Lamont Peterson and sparked by Garcia - if you look at it with any logic, what on earth is he going to do if he decides to step up into the welterweight division?

AH-HAA!! Az is Glenn McCrory!!! I should have seen it coming, two complete tools!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:11 pm

I sometimes do wonder with Glenn, how on earth has he got a good job talking about boxing when in reality a Monkey could do a better job. I have to be honest however, styles make fights and I think Khans style has a decent chance of making it interesting against Floyd, don't see him winning as Khan is a one trick pony but he will have early success, perhaps eek out the first 3 rounds or so and possibly make it interesting with work rate, but I just see Mayweather figuring him out 9 times out of 10.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:30 pm

Never been a fan of Khan, but I agree with McCrory. Khan is the one guy I think gives Mayweather big problems. Mayweather's not going to pressure Khan and KO him, it will be a pure boxing match that will largely come down to speed - where Khan has the edge. If Khan fought Canelo he'd probably get KO'd in 6.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:48 pm

Theres a definate case to be made for Khans handspeed causing Mayweather problems. But Mayweathers counterpunching and timing is so good that Khan would be really up against it. The sort of shot that Mayweather sent Hatton into the ringpost with is the kind of shot that Khan has been vunerable to. I wouldnt rule out Mayweather adopting a more physical and aggressive approach if the situation called for it either. Khan under Roach might have given Mayweather some issues but I think he needs time with his new trainer. At the moment he seems caught between approaches.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:49 pm

Mayweather has a pressure game as well, just because he hasnt had to use it in a few years doesnt mean he cant close Khan down and forcde the pressure. It is the gameplan that beats Khan and if Peterson, Garcia can do it effectively then Mayweather can do it too.

This is the same Khan who went life and death with a fat, old lightweight in his last fight.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:50 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:Seems to have changed his tune after calling for Khan to retire after the Garcia fight:

AH-HAA!! Az is Glenn McCrory!!! I should have seen it coming, two complete tools!!!

Lol. I'm so far into the pixie's head it's sad.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:54 pm

Absolutely, Floyd has a pressure side to his game, but it isn't quite as relentless as a Golovkin etc. and doesn't quite have the punch to SERIOUSLY scare Khan, though his power is still enough to make Khan seriously worry.

Floyd is simply too good for Amir though, would make adjustments partway through after a decent start from Khan in my view and start to pick holes in Khans defence. Too smart for a one dimensional fighter in Khan, though that one dimension is tough to beat.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:55 pm

azania wrote:

Must be said Reborn, you can't stop talking about him, you sure you don't fancy him or something?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Tue 09 Jul 2013, 11:17 pm

Mayweather has never been a pressure fighter. Zab judah's hand speed caused Floyd serious problems, I see khan's doing the same thing.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 09 Jul 2013, 11:21 pm

Alex, i know you have a HR background, but not all men who talk about other men, fancy them.Wink 

I actually think this is one of the more coherent arguments I've heard glen make, i've always thought that khan would give mayweather trouble stylistically, before his lack of boxing brain brought about his likely downfall. Unfortunately, glen is ignoring both that and khan's recent form.

Whichever, a nugget of sense amongst the drivel, which puts him a nugget up on Johnny nelson and Richie woodhall, in the sky sports boxing team 'pearls of wisdom' table... neither of whom are off the mark yet.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:13 am

Mayweather all day. Too fast to get hit by anything Khan throws in anger. Watch the Marquez fight - he countered everything. Khan would do that silly little noise he does when he darts in and come out with a fist in his face followed by some more.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:14 am

Mayweather all day. Too fast to get hit by anything Khan throws in anger. Watch the Marquez fight - he countered everything. Khan would do that silly little noise he does when he darts in and come out with a fist in his face followed by some more.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 10 Jul 2013, 8:16 am

I see no way how Khan is even competitive here. He might win a round or two early on by throwing a lot that will most likely hit arms, gloves and Mayweathers shoulder but its just as likely even in the early stages Mayweather catches him off balance and puts him down for a 10-8 round. Floyd won't hit him with the big hayemakers like Garcia did to put him on queer street but he is so accurate he'll find the target enough to win rounds and have Khan down once or twice as well, probably stop him late on.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 10 Jul 2013, 8:36 am

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Mayweather all day. Too fast to get hit by anything Khan throws in anger. Watch the Marquez fight - he countered everything. Khan would do that silly little noise he does when he darts in and come out with a fist in his face followed by some more.

I've never watched the Marquez fight jabby. It was a foregone conclusion, and not worth the hour of my life i'd never get back. If i ever was to watch it, though, it wouldn't be as a benchmark for how mayweather khan would turn out.

If you were listing common attributes between amir khan and Marquez, you wouldn't need a sharp pencil. Must be the first time sharp pencil and amir khan have made it into the same sentence.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 10 Jul 2013, 8:58 am

bellchees wrote:I see no way how Khan is even competitive here. He might win a round or two early on by throwing a lot that will most likely hit arms, gloves and Mayweathers shoulder but its just as likely even in the early stages Mayweather catches him off balance and puts him down for a 10-8 round. Floyd won't hit him with the big hayemakers like Garcia did to put him on queer street but he is so accurate he'll find the target enough to win rounds and have Khan down once or twice as well, probably stop him late on.

On khan's recent performances I'd probably agree. It's just a styles and fights thing. Khan throws in clusters, which is part of his problem defensively but in my view gives him a much better chance of getting past mayweather's defence than most. He matches him for speed. Ultimately khan's defensive frailties and lack of boxing brain would let him down, but he's always looked his best against boxers. Competitive while it lasts in my view.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 10 Jul 2013, 9:26 am

Au contrair Milky - I know that Marquez and Khan are quite different fighters, but the way Mayweather will deal with Khan is akin to the way he dealt with Marquez in that he'll have to use some quite intelligent movement to avoid the speed Khan comes to play with, the same way he used his speed to counter and draw in wily old Marquez.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 10 Jul 2013, 10:38 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:
azania wrote:

Must be said Reborn, you can't stop talking about him, you sure you don't fancy him or something?

Yea the "z" in his username gives me such a hard-on
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 10 Jul 2013, 1:04 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Au contrair Milky - I know that Marquez and Khan are quite different fighters, but the way Mayweather will deal with Khan is akin to the way he dealt with Marquez in that he'll have to use some quite intelligent movement to avoid the speed Khan comes to play with, the same way he used his speed to counter and draw in wily old Marquez.

Mayweather used speed and counterpunching to beat the shorter slower Marquez, he's going to struggle to do that against the taller, faster Khan.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 10 Jul 2013, 1:53 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:Au contrair Milky - I know that Marquez and Khan are quite different fighters, but the way Mayweather will deal with Khan is akin to the way he dealt with Marquez in that he'll have to use some quite intelligent movement to avoid the speed Khan comes to play with, the same way he used his speed to counter and draw in wily old Marquez.

Mayweather used speed and counterpunching to beat the shorter slower Marquez, he's going to struggle to do that against the taller, faster Khan.

Marquez is a counter puncher, and he drew him into traps - Khan is a volume puncher and he will use similar tactics to draw him into committing. Size won't affect this, Khan will have a 1 inch height advantage over Mayweather. Hardly extreme.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 10 Jul 2013, 3:56 pm

Mayweather could "draw Marquez in to traps" because Marquez was slow, had no reach and hence had to come forward because he had no hope of out-boxing Mayweather on the outside. Khan is probably the one guy in the world who he couldn't do that to. So I see it going the complete opposite way, Mayweather will have to be more aggressive to negate Khan's speed advantage leaving himself open in the process, a bit like against Judah for the first 6 rounds. Mayweather would probably still win, but it would be far closer and more interesting than watching him out-speed plodders.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed 10 Jul 2013, 4:01 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Mayweather could "draw Marquez in to traps" because Marquez was slow, had no reach and hence had to come forward because he had no hope of out-boxing Mayweather on the outside. Khan is probably the one guy in the world who he couldn't do that to. So I see it going the complete opposite way, Mayweather will have to be more aggressive to negate Khan's speed advantage leaving himself open in the process, a bit like against Judah for the first 6 rounds. Mayweather would probably still win, but it would be far closer and more interesting than watching him out-speed plodders.

He barely outboxed Diaz in his last fight and Diaz was well past his best and not a natural LWW so I don't see how Khan outboxes one of the best 'boxers' on the planet at his natural weight where nobody has pushed him close even.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 10 Jul 2013, 4:03 pm

Diaz stopped being a LW 6 years ago. Moreover when boxers fight Khan they up their game because of the chin issues.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 10 Jul 2013, 4:04 pm

Mayweather won't need to be aggressive at all. Marquez fights best on the back foot, he made him come to him. Khan fights best going forward - right into Floyd territory. Can you honestly see Khan sticking and moving behind a jab for 12 rounds like how he'd have to without being outfoxed by a more experienced Mayweather? Mayweather will stand there, allow Khan into his space, get a few light taps on him and then dig him hard. Same way Marquez was made to throw, Khan won't be able to step off Mayweather - Floyd is too fast to just allow that to happen.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 10 Jul 2013, 4:19 pm

Honestly think Khan has had his best days at top level,fighters with a lot less power than Mayweather have had him in trouble, Mayweather ends the fight whenever he feels like stepping up a gear, different league to Khan.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed 10 Jul 2013, 4:42 pm

azania wrote:Diaz stopped being a LW 6 years ago. Moreover when boxers fight Khan they up their game because of the chin issues.

So less skilled boxers than Mayweather make it work so surely this would mean it would be even easier for him then as he's such a good boxer......

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 10 Jul 2013, 4:49 pm

Floyd would spank him without doubt. Just dont like people making things up just to put another boxer down. Diaz stopped being a LW 6 years ago. He was a genuine WW at the time of the fight and outweighed Khan at fight night. He has been campaigning at a higher weight longer than Khan has. Would you call Khan a blown up LW?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed 10 Jul 2013, 5:27 pm

azania wrote:Floyd would spank him without doubt. Just dont like people making things up just to put another boxer down. Diaz stopped being a LW 6 years ago. He was a genuine WW at the time of the fight and outweighed Khan at fight night. He has been campaigning at a higher weight longer than Khan has. Would you call Khan a blown up LW?

No I wouldn't but I also don't think it's that simple. I wouldn't call Broner a blown up light weight either, just fights at a lower weight. I think Khan is huge a LWW as has height and reach advantages over most opponents he'll face so he won't look out of his dept at that weight.

Tim Bradley on the other hand is already fighting at WW but I think he would look less natural at the weight than Khan would. So I don't think it's fair to say people making stuff up to attack Khan, just their opinion.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 10 Jul 2013, 6:54 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Mayweather won't need to be aggressive at all. Marquez fights best on the back foot, he made him come to him. Khan fights best going forward - right into Floyd territory. Can you honestly see Khan sticking and moving behind a jab for 12 rounds like how he'd have to without being outfoxed by a more experienced Mayweather? Mayweather will stand there, allow Khan into his space, get a few light taps on him and then dig him hard. Same way Marquez was made to throw, Khan won't be able to step off Mayweather - Floyd is too fast to just allow that to happen.

Marquez fights completely differently to Khan, Mayweather would have a completely different gameplan for both. I'm not sure why you keep using the comparison

Khan gets beaten by aggressive fighters. If Mayweather isn't aggressive then it becomes a battle of speed - right into Khans hands.

Khan doesn't have to stick and move he's not fighting Mike Tyson.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 12 Jul 2013, 11:10 pm

It's true that Mayweathers style is better suited to beating more aggressive fighters that come forward and try to bully him, which is why I think he'll beat Alvarez. But he also has an inside game.

Khan has literally NO inside game. Also, when he attacks with his flurries of shots his balance is awful and he leaves himself wide open to counters - and Mayweather is the most accurate counter puncher in the sport. He's no the hardest puncher, but he hits hard enough to drop Khan who has proven chinny at 135 & 140, especially with Mayweather now being a natural welter. Khan is a good athlete with fast hands. So is Mayweather. Everything else is in mayweathers favour, skill, footwork, accuracy, chin, ringsmarts. After a bit of early success for Amir while Mayweather figures him out it'd turn into a mismatch with Khan being stopped late on.

As for McCory, he spends 50% of his pundit career letting McGuigan talk over him, and the other 50% contradicting himself on the Sky Sports website, the day I take his opinion anymore seriously than that of a dung beetle is the day they section me under the mental health act.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 13 Jul 2013, 12:43 pm

azania wrote:Diaz stopped being a LW 6 years ago. Moreover when boxers fight Khan they up their game because of the chin issues.

Oh jesus, the bloody irony of that sentence is just ridiculous.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 15 Jul 2013, 7:29 pm

Mccrory is becoming another Woodhall unfortunately...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by shoto Tue 16 Jul 2013, 12:08 am

Timing beats speed, khan lacks ring craft and the ability to adapt only thing he brings is a fanbase $.

shoto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 17 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm

Last time Mayweather fought someone with decent speed was vs Judah. Judah wasn't coming off good form yet he still gave Mayweather more problems than the last 10 plodders he's faced combined. Take the speed advantage away from Mayweather and he has to come forward which makes him far easier to hit. Mayweather deals with slow fighters easily, Canelo's going to look like he's wading through treacle against Floyd.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 8:26 pm

Mayweather has not fought a fighter with the speed Khan has and he dodged Manny when he was running rampant, so I think its fair to say Khan does pose a test that maybe Mayweather had not faced yet.

Yes Mayweather would more than likely win, but I do think if Khan was on his game he would give Mayweather a tough nights work.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:07 pm

tunes666 wrote:Mayweather has not fought a fighter with the speed Khan has and he dodged Manny when he was running rampant

There is a d4 thread you might enjoy a few threads down....Rolling Eyes 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 18 Jul 2013, 12:03 am

Mayweather has so many different solutions to deal with speed. He has almost everything needed to defeat a fighter with superior speed. Especially one with Khans many weaknesses.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 18 Jul 2013, 12:07 pm

khan hasn't fought anybody with mayweathers speed

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Thu 18 Jul 2013, 7:30 pm

Even a 40 yr old Mosley's speed caused Floyd problems early on.

Mayweather struggles against speed.

Khan has great speed.

Khan struggles against strong pressure fighters.

Mayweather isn't a strong pressure fighter.

Floyd would still be favourite, but it's the most competitive fight out there for him IMO.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 18 Jul 2013, 7:58 pm

Peterson isnt really a strong pressure fighter. He is is more of a boxer who just walked Khan down. Khan has handspeed. Mayweather has excellent punch accuracy, timing, balance, defence, footwork and is a more intelligent fighter. Khan I think would have his moments but Mayweather has almost all the qualities that a fighter needs to beat a fighter with faster handspeed. I think his use of the ring, footwork and punch accuracy and tight defence would be too much for a fighter of Khans flaws. If Khan had a better all round game I would give him more of a chance. But he makes too many mistakes and lacks quality in other areas where Mayweather is too good.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Fri 19 Jul 2013, 8:37 pm

Peterson only had success when he pressured Khan, and was willing to take one to give one. I would love to see Mayweather fight like that, but it just won't happen. Yes Mayweather is the more skilled operator and would more than likely win, but Khan's speed would force him to fight. There'd be more action in Khan v Mayweather than in Mayweather's last 5 fights.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 19 Jul 2013, 9:22 pm

compelling and rich wrote:khan hasn't fought anybody with mayweathers speed
I would say Malignaggi has mayweathers speed even though he lacks the power...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down