The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saracens New Signings and Contract Extensions

+27
timhen
Effervescing Elephant
Bathite
Irish Londoner
damage_13
beshocked
propdavid_london
Ozzy3213
mbernz
DaveM
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
BigTrevsbigmac
niwatts
Morgannwg
Manu's Boxing Coach
Scrumdown
yappysnap
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Hood83
sirtidychris
AlastairW
Geordie
ChequeredJersey
Bathman_in_London
HongKongCherry
hookernumber2
31 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Saracens New Signings and Contract Extensions - Page 3 Empty Saracens New Signings and Contract Extensions

Post by hookernumber2 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 3:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Just saw this annouced on Twitter and is also on the Saracens site below.

http://www.saracens.com/news/view.php?Id=7345

Big signings for them with JJ and Billy Vunipola coming in

hookernumber2

Back to top Go down

Saracens New Signings and Contract Extensions - Page 3 Empty Re: Saracens New Signings and Contract Extensions

Post by yappysnap Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:40 am

Plus Britz, Borthwick, Tomkins, Barrit and Burger must all be on pretty high wages

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Saracens New Signings and Contract Extensions - Page 3 Empty Re: Saracens New Signings and Contract Extensions

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:45 am

Let's stop the attack now, guys, evidently Sarries have some way of paying their players within the rules
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:46 am

Why, they weren't apart from borthwick big international players if international at all, Tompkins is signed on a long term contract with no union experience would be on a average wage.

It's just with France everyone bases any transfer on there pay not what's being payed. Also the club welfare is second to none and the plans in place make it an attractive challenge

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:49 am

Looks like quins will be getting in someone with experience..

"We’re in the fortunate position of having two of the most exciting, young tight heads props in the country coming through our system in Will Collier and Kyle Sinckler and we are confident that we will be able to recruit another experienced front row forward to complement them shortly.”

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:50 am

Phil Vickery?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:54 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Phil Vickery?

Nah it came as a shock but I heard he's retired Wink

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Wed 16 Jan 2013, 8:55 am

Really? Heard a rumor that he had retired? Don't know how true that is Run

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:53 am

yappysnap wrote:

Laugh

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:57 am

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:
yappysnap wrote:

Laugh

This bombshell may even get HERSH to come back Whistle
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 Jan 2013, 11:41 am

Dear god, how old and unfunny is the Vickery thing now.

vomit
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 Jan 2013, 11:43 am

Anyway sorry to be a dullard, but does the salary cap cover just the salaries of players? Or players and coaches? Does it exclude other running costs? Do Sarries get sponsorship through Vodacom still and can they use this to pay players wages?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 16 Jan 2013, 11:49 am

Just players I think, this is the kind of thing Sam probably knows the answer to
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 16 Jan 2013, 12:02 pm

So additional funding from an external source would likely not be counted for if and when the RFU impose the ruling for breachers of the salary cap?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 16 Jan 2013, 12:05 pm

I think it depends where the club states they are spending it- it's the expenditure not income that the cap worries itself about
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 16 Jan 2013, 5:43 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Anyway sorry to be a dullard, but does the salary cap cover just the salaries of players? Or players and coaches? Does it exclude other running costs? Do Sarries get sponsorship through Vodacom still and can they use this to pay players wages?
Salary cap is meant to include wages and all other ancillary benefits (cars, subsidised bills, accommodation, etc.) and the cap is varied according to things such as experienced academy players kept on books, marquee player, etc. it is only for players, with other staff outside the cap

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:37 pm

So additional funding from an external source would likely not be counted for if and when the RFU impose the ruling for breachers of the salary cap?

Immaterial of where the funding comes from you are only allowed to spend, 4.5m plus up to 300k on a marquee signing adding another 240k for the RFU bonus scheme (if you qualify). That covers all senior players and any academy players that play 10 or more games. That should include wages, benefits in kind and I'd imagine there's a restriction on family jobs. That is how I understand it, I stand to be corrected.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:38 pm

Good article on this issue.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/15/premiership-rugby-salary-cap

Premiership rugby have made a statement:

"Phil Winstanley, PRL's rugby director, concedes he has heard the "rumours" but says he remains "very confident" the cap is not being routinely abused. "We are very much aware of what's going on within each club," he said. "Until we can prove otherwise then as far as I'm concerned there is no breach of the salary cap.

"Are we aware of the rumours? Of course we are. I'm not naive. It's not falling on deaf ears. But we have a robust system with extensive powers. I'm not going to talk about individual clubs but every club is subject to them. This is a regular topic at our board meetings … every club is completely aware of the process and the potential sanctions." "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/9804617/London-Irish-prop-Alex-Corbisiero-to-join-Northampton-Saints-next-season.html

Corbisiero looks like he is going to Saints, Paul Doran Jones to Quins.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:46 pm

beshocked wrote:Paul Doran Jones to Quins.

If that's true, then Joe Marler might just start handbags with everyone on the pitch, not just the other side Very Happy

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:38 pm

AlastairW wrote:
MotelMoneyMurderMadness wrote:There were some interesting suggestions on the bbc have your say page about how sarries are paying. Not going to repeat them here..

Avoid those pseudo-boards. They are the plague, full of WUM's and ignorance. Some of the comments on all there defy belief!

They are where people considered to extreme for the Daily Mail comments page go to be with their own. HYS boards do crack me up though!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:05 pm

Are clubs able to offer their players bonuses on top of the salary cap for winning a title, and are those bonuses limited to a percentage of the salary cap?

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:31 pm

Hood83 wrote:
Hound_of_Harrow wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
sirtidychris wrote:Definatley more starting competition for johnson at sarries, the only thing i can think of is obviously they have offered him more wonga and his brother obviously bigged it up, both these moves are probably down to elder brother influences !

Yes & in Billy's case his father too I guess. Crying or Very sad

Billy and Mako's dad is their agent. There are some fairly uncomplimentary comments about him on the DW forum. Needless to say Wasps fans are very disappointed, and angry, with Billy V.

Dai Young's comments...

here

I thought Young's comments were fairly restrained, and pretty decent. Sarries are going to be a helluva team next year, but I still find them impossible to love. It worries when a player of Vunipola's ability, who is being developed so well, moves at an early stage in their career, think Alex Gray languishing on the Irish bench. I hope BV finds himself back at Wasps at some point, or even better, at a resurgent Falcons!

Actually Hood i think our back row options are excellent at the moment...
Its interesting to see what Gray is going to do with himself...wonder if her regrets leaving us?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Thu 17 Jan 2013, 12:50 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Hood83 wrote:
Hound_of_Harrow wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
sirtidychris wrote:Definatley more starting competition for johnson at sarries, the only thing i can think of is obviously they have offered him more wonga and his brother obviously bigged it up, both these moves are probably down to elder brother influences !

Yes & in Billy's case his father too I guess. Crying or Very sad

Billy and Mako's dad is their agent. There are some fairly uncomplimentary comments about him on the DW forum. Needless to say Wasps fans are very disappointed, and angry, with Billy V.

Dai Young's comments...

here

I thought Young's comments were fairly restrained, and pretty decent. Sarries are going to be a helluva team next year, but I still find them impossible to love. It worries when a player of Vunipola's ability, who is being developed so well, moves at an early stage in their career, think Alex Gray languishing on the Irish bench. I hope BV finds himself back at Wasps at some point, or even better, at a resurgent Falcons!

Actually Hood i think our back row options are excellent at the moment...
Its interesting to see what Gray is going to do with himself...wonder if her regrets leaving us?

You're right Geordie, the back row options look pretty decent - but if money wasn't an issue (like Sarries) you can't tell me you wouldn't want a rampaging BV at 8?! I think he's a pretty unique talent. I imagine Gray is regretting moving, i hope so. I did worry that he's a little gangly for an 8 and would need to bulk up a little. Not sure he;s pushed on physically though and as he;s not playing either, the move seems a poor one in hindsight. Shame.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:04 am

Ah who needs BV when we have the rampaging Olly Tomaschyk Very Happy Yahoo

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 17 Jan 2013, 3:49 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Immaterial of where the funding comes from you are only allowed to spend, 4.5m plus up to 300k on a marquee signing adding another 240k for the RFU bonus scheme (if you qualify). That covers all senior players and any academy players that play 10 or more games. That should include wages, benefits in kind and I'd imagine there's a restriction on family jobs. That is how I understand it, I stand to be corrected.

Thanks.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3