The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KP's under contract with Surrey until he no longer retains a central contract...

+8
Mike Selig
mystiroakey
gboycottnut
ShankyCricket
KP_fan
Shelsey93
skyeman
chrisss
12 posters

Go down

KP's under contract with Surrey until he no longer retains a central contract... Empty KP's under contract with Surrey until he no longer retains a central contract...

Post by chrisss Thu 23 Aug 2012, 8:25 pm

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/dec/22/kevin-pietersen-surrey-james-taylor

Considering it's at least 50/50 that he won't receive a central contract when the next lot are announced, what happens then? Despite Surrey being the richest county I can't see them being able to offer KP the wage that he'd want (and it's very unlikely he'd want to do a full season of county cricket anyway) Would he remain county-less until (if) the issues with the ECB were resolved? Would not receiving a central contract be the de facto end of KP's first class career?

Thoughts?

chrisss

Back to top Go down

KP's under contract with Surrey until he no longer retains a central contract... Empty Re: KP's under contract with Surrey until he no longer retains a central contract...

Post by skyeman Thu 23 Aug 2012, 9:47 pm

Sorry chrisss, i have not got much of a responce to this. As much as i hope KP returns to the England fold, i have just become so disinterested in this whole saga over the last few months,that i now quite frankly could not give a t**s.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

KP's under contract with Surrey until he no longer retains a central contract... Empty Re: KP's under contract with Surrey until he no longer retains a central contract...

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 23 Aug 2012, 10:11 pm

Two options should he be denied a central contract:

1. KP remains committed to English cricket. In this case I could see him re-signing for Surrey, who would be delighted to have a readily available KP in their ranks.

2. KP goes freelance, effectively ending his association with English cricket. Plays mostly T20, perhaps including for an English county.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 23 Aug 2012, 10:46 pm

Pietersengate was a clever ploy to diigress media and public attention from disastrous England perfroamnce...walloped 2-0 and saved in T2 only by rain laughing
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 23 Aug 2012, 11:24 pm

Stop it KPfan. This is getting childish. picard

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 23 Aug 2012, 11:37 pm

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Stop it KPfan. This is getting childish. picard

really..after the greatest defeat in the history of test match cricket in T1.....and the impending loss of No.1...what took away 80% of the media space that would have been shredding Flower / staruss apart ??

KP Shocked

and whoa......half of them even sympathiszed and "Bravo-ed" thee stance of Flower etal
Good........mission accomplished for nopw........ let's see wht they do in Lanka
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 24 Aug 2012, 7:27 am

Espnstar confirms KP will join their box as a commentator in T20 w'cup.

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 24 Aug 2012, 8:40 am

There is another scenario and option for KP, and one which is worrying for England fans. KP goes back to South Africa and tries to qualify for their national team whilst playing for a Provincial team. Therefore it actually isn't beyond the realms of possibility that KP could be playing test cricket in England in many years time but as a member of the South African cricket team! Kepler Weesels was the last South African cricketer to have done this type of move having played for Australia first at test level in 1982, before going back a decade later to Australia where he played for the opposition team as their captain!

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Aug 2012, 9:19 am

Well look KP is doing all the right things to show his commitment to England cricket!

"KP goes back to South Africa and tries to qualify for their national team whilst playing for a Provincial team."

what are you on about dude. That cannot happen- he would have to be without a national team for 5 years or something!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 24 Aug 2012, 10:44 am

I think it's 4 years once you've played for a full member, although the ECB have a self-imposed policy of 7.

Although you can play for an associate one day and a full member the next (and if you want to switch back you need to wait 4 years) which is perfectly fair...

That being the case it is possible that KP will want to try to qualify for SA but given he'll be fairly ancient by the time he qualifies I don't think that's a realistic career path.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Aug 2012, 11:00 am

Yeah its seven if you wernt a resident before 18.. But i suppose KP was a resident of SA before he was 18- and i doubt they have that rule anyway. Anyway i agree it isnt gonna happen! He just needs to buckle down and keep mending bridges within England

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 24 Aug 2012, 12:33 pm

KP Fan, on the contrary, I'd suggest that without rain England would likely have won the 2nd Test.

Now pack it in with the childish nonsense, because don't think I'm not aware of who you are - you've been given a second chance, I suggest you think about that.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 24 Aug 2012, 12:40 pm

Surrey chief executive Richard Gould made exactly the same comment as in the heading of this article at a members' forum last week. The point he was trying to convey was that Surrey will not be left to pick up the pieces and suffer any financial cost as a consequence if the current dispute between Pietersen and the ECB worsens or fails to be resolved.

Gould is a smart operator. I understand he discussed matters with both Pietersen's agent and senior representatives of the ECB at the Lords' Test. He'll be keen for a compromise to be reached, not least so that Surrey can continue to avail themselves of Pietersen (albeit occasionally) and without having to foot the bill for him.

Without any form of central contract, I believe it will be very unlikely that Pietersen will stay at Surrey.

Even though the club is (comparatively) wealthy, his sort of salary would almost certainly take Surrey over the permitted salary cap for playing staff. That would mean others having to be jettisoned which wouldn't be popular or necessarily a good idea.

Connected with point immediately above, the club are already wrestling with the financial implications of Chris Tremlett being likely to lose his England central contract and whether to award him a one year club contract.

I also think it unlikely that Pietersen would want the weekly toil that goes with being a professional county player.

If some form of compromise can't be brokered, I would expect Pietersen to then go freelance as suggested by Shelsey in a post above. Perhaps after a break from the game.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Aug 2012, 2:14 pm

If the last two matches were 6 days(i know its a mute point)- but i think england may have won 2 tests.. well they were 50/50 anyway!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 24 Aug 2012, 5:39 pm

Mike Selig wrote:I think it's 4 years once you've played for a full member, although the ECB have a self-imposed policy of 7.

Although you can play for an associate one day and a full member the next (and if you want to switch back you need to wait 4 years) which is perfectly fair...

That being the case it is possible that KP will want to try to qualify for SA but given he'll be fairly ancient by the time he qualifies I don't think that's a realistic career path.

Well he may be fairly ancient by then, but he will still be good enough to play as an off-spinner batting at number 8 or 9, which is the position that he started his first class South African provincial career at. So in a sense he still has unfinished business to complete before he finally gives up playing cricket, and that is to play for the country of his birth as an off-spinning bits and pieces all-rounder.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Aug 2012, 5:45 pm

KP plays for ENGLAND, NOT SA... OK!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 24 Aug 2012, 10:56 pm

mystiroakey wrote:KP plays for ENGLAND, NOT SA... OK!!

Not if KP is banned by the ECB from playing for England, in which case then he has every right to try and play for the country of his birth which is South Africa.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 24 Aug 2012, 10:57 pm

gboycottnut wrote:

Not if KP is banned by the ECB from playing for England, in which case then he has every right to try and play for the country of his birth which is South Africa.

In all seriousness it won't happen. He'd be 36 by the time he qualified, and has his own issues with CSA too.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:04 am

Shelsey93 wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

In all seriousness it won't happen. He'd be 36 by the time he qualified, and has his own issues with CSA too.

But at 36, a quality batsmen can still be good enough to play at a test match level. Just look at Graham Gooch who in 1990 scored a triple century V India when he was near to and around 40. Even though KP may have issues with CSA, these don't run as deep as they do with the ECB. And if he doesn't want to play for South Africa either, he can try another avenue and that is to qualify to play T20 cricket for India through living and playing in India for many years. That way he can also get his strong appetite for T20 IPL cricket satisfied.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 25 Aug 2012, 10:12 am

guildfordbat wrote:Surrey chief executive Richard Gould made exactly the same comment as in the heading of this article at a members' forum last week. The point he was trying to convey was that Surrey will not be left to pick up the pieces and suffer any financial cost as a consequence if the current dispute between Pietersen and the ECB worsens or fails to be resolved.

Gould is a smart operator. I understand he discussed matters with both Pietersen's agent and senior representatives of the ECB at the Lords' Test. He'll be keen for a compromise to be reached, not least so that Surrey can continue to avail themselves of Pietersen (albeit occasionally) and without having to foot the bill for him.

Without any form of central contract, I believe it will be very unlikely that Pietersen will stay at Surrey.

Even though the club is (comparatively) wealthy, his sort of salary would almost certainly take Surrey over the permitted salary cap for playing staff. That would mean others having to be jettisoned which wouldn't be popular or necessarily a good idea.

Connected with point immediately above, the club are already wrestling with the financial implications of Chris Tremlett being likely to lose his England central contract and whether to award him a one year club contract.

I also think it unlikely that Pietersen would want the weekly toil that goes with being a professional county player.

If some form of compromise can't be brokered, I would expect Pietersen to then go freelance as suggested by Shelsey in a post above. Perhaps after a break from the game.

The idea of Pietersen making a decision to play for another country and then knuckling down for several years to make it happen is about as likely as the Corporal and myself opening the bowling for Surrey in next week's Championship match.

Either some form of compromise will be brokered with the ECB or Pietersen will go freelance and concentrate on t20 as covered in my earlier and sadly overlooked post ( Sad Wink ) above.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 25 Aug 2012, 2:54 pm

International cricket is not a poaching game.
And anyways KP is unlikely to contemplate qualifying for South Africa, and India? The idea doesn't even take off. KP is either finished as an international cricketer, or he would make his way back to the England side. ECB and Andy Flower don't have time now!, so we will have to wait and watch for now as to which direction the saga will now move on to.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 25 Aug 2012, 3:05 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

The idea of Pietersen making a decision to play for another country and then knuckling down for several years to make it happen is about as likely as the Corporal and myself opening the bowling for Surrey in next week's Championship match.

Totally agree.

But i would pay good money to see you two opening the bowling Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 25 Aug 2012, 3:08 pm

I actually think its a bit rude saying that KP would pick SA..

He has chossen England, he has worked very hard to become an england great and he also worked very hard to get into the England team.. He is only coming out with a message that he will do what it takes to get another central contract. He got annoyed because he was one of very few players that gets picked for all formats and at the same is the only england player that would be offered 6 million quid for 18 weeks work over 3 years(ipl)!!

Yeah he might have slagged of Strauss, but lets be honest who hasnt KP slagged off!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 25 Aug 2012, 5:10 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

In other words, fairly unlikely but worth a tenner at odds of, say, 60 million to 1? Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 25 Aug 2012, 5:31 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

In other words, fairly unlikely but worth a tenner at odds of, say, 60 million to 1? Very Happy

One hundred million trillion i would say and only so low as to give the punters a sniff Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:01 pm

Corporal - just bumped into Adams outside Ladbrokes. He said to keep Tuesday free and wanted your number .... Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:13 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Corporal - just bumped into Adams outside Ladbrokes. He said to keep Tuesday free and wanted your number .... Very Happy
Guildford - I'm not 100% convinced this bold selection move would command universal approval on the Wallpaper site Very Happy But I would certainly be up for a stint at being "immense in the dressing room."

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:22 pm

Combined figures of 10-0-200-0 and two ambulances Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:25 pm

skyeman wrote:Combined figures of 10-0-200-0 and two ambulances Very Happy
Skyeman - I would be distinctly flattered to get a half share of those figures. thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:30 pm

Skyeman - I would be distinctly flattered to get a half share of those figures. thumbsup

Laugh

Only so low because the crowd laughing were distracting the batsman. But an honour it would be.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:31 pm

I'll settle for the faster ambulance! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down