The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW SIGNINGS

+10
bedfordwelsh
mrzimmerman
munkian
dragon4life
Welshmushroom
Breadvan
Cardiff Dave
wayne
Jhamer25
thespreys
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NEW SIGNINGS Empty NEW SIGNINGS

Post by thespreys Wed Jan 01 2014, 19:56

How can Dragons sign Sam Lewis from Ospreys on 2 year deal when nobody knows if there are going to be any regions at end of season.I smell a rat seems like some sort of underhanded deal has been done with WRU, furious furious furious 

thespreys

Back to top Go down

NEW SIGNINGS Empty Re: NEW SIGNINGS

Post by Jhamer25 Wed Jan 01 2014, 20:14

What really?
He wasn't getting as much game time as he would like at the Ospreys, so he seeks a move to the Dragons to get the game time that he deserves. He is  a great player with heaps of potential, he needs more game time.
No evilly devised deal has been made, just a valid transfer

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed Jan 01 2014, 20:34

thespreys wrote:How can Dragons sign Sam Lewis from Ospreys on 2 year deal when nobody knows if there are going to be any  regions at end of season.I smell a rat seems like some sort of underhanded deal has been done with WRU, furious furious furious 
Going by Gareth Davies interview at half time today, I don't think so

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Jan 01 2014, 20:34

Good signing that.
As for smelling rats; dare I say that anything and everything these days gets us a bit jittery.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed Jan 01 2014, 22:08

Disgusting decision by the Os. I'm gutted and livid at the Osprey staff at letting us lose such a promising talent. Thought he'd be a great understudy/replacement for Tips. You got a player there NGDs.

thumbsdown
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 01 2014, 22:29

Breadvan wrote:Disgusting decision by the Os. I'm gutted and livid at the Osprey staff at letting us lose such a promising talent. Thought he'd be a great understudy/replacement for Tips. You got a player there NGDs.

thumbsdown

Heard aye. Was gutted to see journos say we need a genuine 7, when we had one on the bench today, but he is a quality signing for us. Think he's not the only confirmed signing at the Drags too

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed Jan 01 2014, 23:14

Great signing for us. Backrow is looking solid for next season. Anyone know what happening with Waters?

Backline is looking good to now so if we can just poach Sampson Lee off the Scarlets we would be on to a winner Smile

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Wed Jan 01 2014, 23:36

Risca Rev wrote:
Breadvan wrote:Disgusting decision by the Os. I'm gutted and livid at the Osprey staff at letting us lose such a promising talent. Thought he'd be a great understudy/replacement for Tips. You got a player there NGDs.

thumbsdown

Heard aye. Was gutted to see journos say we need a genuine 7, when we had one on the bench today, but he is a quality signing for us. Think he's not the only confirmed signing at the Drags too
Who else could be on their way to dragons?

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed Jan 01 2014, 23:57

Welshmushroom wrote:Great signing for us.  Backrow is looking solid for next season.  Anyone know what happening with Waters?  

Backline is looking good to now so if we can just poach Sampson Lee off the Scarlets we would be on to a winner Smile

Wow wow hands off

However, Rhodri Jones is out of contract. He's might not be Samson Lee yet but he is showing signs of improvement in his scrummaging every time I see him

He would be a great signing for the Drags, would be whats better for him and his career as well

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed Jan 01 2014, 23:59

dragon4life wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

thumbsdown

Who else could be on their way to dragons?

Someone mentioned John Yapp on the other thread, i don;t think that would be the best signing though. Better than what is there at the moment but still wont bring stability to the scrum.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02 2014, 00:03

I don't know who else could be on their way. No smoke without fire though maybe?

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jan 02 2014, 09:30

Rhodri Jones please  OK 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02 2014, 09:34

I hear that Craig Mitchell might be coming back to Wales a year early (Aslongas posted it on the other thread). Ex Ospreys, probably worked with Lyn Jones at some point, Dragons are after a prop, 2 + 2 = 4???

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jan 02 2014, 09:56

whisper it Brrrrrrewwww
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02 2014, 12:38

Man I would love Brewy back at Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jan 02 2014, 14:01

Tovey and him did pull off some nice cross field kicks/tries
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mrzimmerman Thu Jan 02 2014, 17:42

I dont think Sam is going to the Dragons. Expecting Ospreys to comment on it tomorrow!

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu Jan 02 2014, 17:44

mrzimmerman wrote:I dont think Sam is going to the Dragons. Expecting Ospreys to comment on it tomorrow!

Its been confirmed though

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by mrzimmerman Thu Jan 02 2014, 17:48

no quote from the player or Ospreys. following quote from an ospreys moderator on the official forum as follows:

"All may not be as it seems with this. Expect a comment from Ospreys Rugby on Friday."

i'm hopeful he's staying, i could be wrong but at least there's a glimmer of hope.

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jan 02 2014, 17:55

Jhamer25 wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:Great signing for us.  Backrow is looking solid for next season.  Anyone know what happening with Waters?  

Wow wow hands off

However, Rhodri Jones is out of contract. He's might not be Samson Lee yet but he is showing signs of improvement in his scrummaging every time I see him

He would be a great signing for the Drags, would be whats better for him and his career as well

A certain Mr G picked Jones ahead of Lee for the AIs (strangely I admit) so maybe he is the future but I have also heard he's quite a bit of a home town boy and would want to stay.

Then again if he wants to retain place in Welsh set up surely 1st team rugby at the 2nd best placed Region in Wales  Yahoo would be more beneficial for him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu Jan 02 2014, 18:45

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:

Wow wow hands off

A certain Mr G picked Jones ahead of Lee for the AIs (strangely I admit) so maybe he is the future but I have also heard he's quite a bit of a home town boy and would want to stay.

Then again if he wants to retain place in Welsh set up surely 1st team rugby at the 2nd best placed Region in Wales  Yahoo would be more beneficial for him.

Haha ok but you are right, if he does want to retain a place in the welsh set up he needs to move to either the Drags or Blues to get the game time he so badly needs, even if that is at the 3rd best region aye  Very Happy 

With Gatnad in charge I think Rhodri will always be in favour of Samson because he is the mobile prop that Gatland seems to have a liking for. If he does improve in his scrummaging then it fair to say he might be the successor to Adam. But Samson has proves to be a rock already, his defense has come on by a country mile and he can only get stronger with age at scrum time.
I see Samson as the way forward but i do understand why Gatland and other might think that Rhodri is as well, either way it's promising to have two, young great props coming through. Both need as much game time as they can. I've hard he is a home bird but our stock of tightheads is really strong at the moment, he needs to think with his head not heart.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jan 02 2014, 18:59

Jh,

You're right he needs to decide what he wants most after all its a job these days bills to pay etc etc.

I guess he could give himself another season or rest of season to see if he can break through and get up the pecking order but with the WC next year then there will come a time when he has to make the decision.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu Jan 02 2014, 19:22

I have to say though it does look like the Dragons have looked at their weaknesses for next season. If Lewis is coming I would say that back row is looking very classy indeed (providing they play Coombs at blindside). I think Hill was a great signing along with Screech but I think we may need a experienced lock as well as Sidoli and Jones are looking to be coming to an end.

I stated at the start of the season we may become the second highest placed finish this year and while I hope I am not speaking to soon am pleasantly surprised to see how well we are playing.

Our backline is really coming on leaps and bounds. I don't think we really need to strengthen here. Our front row has been our problem and if we can get some descent Props in just to help share the load we really could be on to a winner.

Looking at the transfers though I would be concerned from an Ospreys point of view. They are losing a lot of talent at the moment and second row if AW goes will be a real concern. Lewis would also be a massive loss and if Morgan goes as well it's difficult to predict what kind of first team they will have.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu Jan 02 2014, 19:24

I've always been a big fan of Yapp. The only issue there is that he is getting on a bit and I'm not sure how well he is going these days. 4 or 5 seasons ago he would have been a great addition for the Dragons. That said he still has a lot of experience and even if he lightens the load during the season it would be a benefit to the Dragons.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jan 02 2014, 20:23

Yapps predominantly a L/head though isn't he, we need a T/Head or two.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu Jan 02 2014, 21:01

Yapp is an awful player. Hopefully dregs go for Adriaanse or Rhodri Jones.

Don't know why we signed Sam Lewis when we have Evans, Waters and Cudd there. We could have done with a 6 or 8. We also need 2nd rows.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu Jan 02 2014, 21:07

The Saint wrote:Yapp is an awful player. Hopefully dregs go for Adriaanse or Rhodri Jones.

Don't know why we signed Sam Lewis when we have Evans, Waters and Cudd there. We could have done with a 6 or 8. We also need 2nd rows.

Lewis Evans is presumaly a 6, but he can cut it at 7 so i see wht you mean
Waters isn't really up to it at regional level

Cudd and Sam Lewis are out and out 7's and both will be with the Dragons all year which gives the Dragons good depth.
Lewis Evans, Coombs and Natani Talei all cover 6
Netani Talei, Toby Falateu and Iauen Jones all cover 8

That's really good strength in depth for all back row positions. A lot of teams don't have that, the Backrow for the Dragons is sorted for the next 2 seasons. No need to sign any more.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu Jan 02 2014, 21:22

Everyone says that, but he's excelled every time he's played at 7. I think a Wales call-up is well overdue, it must have been heartbreaking to see Turnbull, McCusker and Pretorious all get selected ahead of him.

Forgot about I. Jones actually. It's front 5 that needs shoring up, all except LH where I think Coundley and Price are good enough. I'd welcome Gill even though he's a LH, and also Mitchell in spite of his proneness to get injured.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02 2014, 21:53

How can it not be a confirmed signing? Seems very strange for Lyn and the Dragons to announce it.

Last edited by Risca Rev on Thu Jan 02 2014, 21:56; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02 2014, 21:55

Is on the WRU website too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02 2014, 22:08

Also, why would the Ospreys wait till tomorrow to say it's nonsense? They've done a team release today. Why not mention it then? Seems a bit strange.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02 2014, 22:09

Risca Rev wrote:Also, why would the Ospreys wait until tomorrow to say it's nonsense? They've done a team release today. Why not mention it then? Seems a bit strange.

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Thu Jan 02 2014, 22:49

Now the Ospreys know what it feels like - Bearman & Fussell

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Thu Jan 02 2014, 23:30

Where are the dragons getting all this money from?

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Fri Jan 03 2014, 00:01

mmmm that's a good question, wonder who's paying Tobys wages?

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri Jan 03 2014, 00:03

dragon4life wrote:Where are the dragons getting all this money from?

Good question, the signing they made last season were by no ends cheap signings with the likes of T Rhys Thomas and Netani Talei, not to mention Toby resigning.

I think i can remember reading that their debts had something to do with it.
With other names like Lee Byrne, Aled Brew and Craig Mitchell being thrown around now, they clearly have some left over from somewhere.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Fri Jan 03 2014, 00:07

Dragons broke even according to outgoing chief executive before he handed over to Gareth Davies

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri Jan 03 2014, 00:20

dragon999 wrote:Dragons broke even according to outgoing chief executive before he handed over to Gareth Davies

Yes that was it, does that mean that they are the only region to have broke even then, all the rest are still in debt aren't they?

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Fri Jan 03 2014, 00:28

I believe all regions have historic debt i.e. the Dragons have the debt incurred by Mr Hazel & Mr Brown for the Bisley facility which they underight & is now paying it's way very well by all accounts - Think the O's & Blues may be in small profit going by something i read in the WM the other day but again i belive they too have historic debt for varying reasons - Scarlets mmm not sure to be honest,people say they are up to their eyes in it,others say not.

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Jan 03 2014, 09:00

The rest of the Dragon's squad is hardly breaking the bank though is it ?

Plus we are now ground sharing with County so thats got to save some money.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Welsh Magician Fri Jan 03 2014, 12:51

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/News/Article/32253

Welsh Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri Jan 03 2014, 12:53

So Ospreys keep their understudy for Tips? And Dragons can continue progress with Evans and Cudd. I'd say both are happy. Now on to front 5 recruitment please.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 03 2014, 13:18

I'm happy enough. We have Scott Matthews and James Benjamin in the academy too. We aren't short of 7s. I will say though, that it is slightly poor of a player to obviously commit to signing for a region/club/province and then pull out. He should've taken his time on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrzimmerman Fri Jan 03 2014, 13:27

Odd story. Hopefully big Phil will bring it up the next time he interviews Lyn.

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 03 2014, 13:35

I suspect somebody will do some digging and get to the bottom of what happened. I'm slightly surprised how we can get it so wrong, especially when Lyn says we have him on a two year contract. That can't have just been made up.

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Fri Jan 03 2014, 13:36

What the happened there? Did the dragons ever have him sign a contract?

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 03 2014, 13:48

From the release we did on our website, yes we did.

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Fri Jan 03 2014, 13:51

Weird

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Jan 03 2014, 13:56

Its all getting a bit football...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mrzimmerman Fri Jan 03 2014, 14:11

The key quote from Sam says it all;

"I am 100 per cent committed to the Ospreys and I'd like to apologise for any confusion caused by recent statements which coincided with a brief period of uncertainty on my part,"

Bit of a lower scale Xavier Rush incident I'd say.

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next