The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problems with yardage

+19
super_realist
tarka
The Golfing Bhoy
golfrage
Lairdy
goldwolf
graeme
Eyetoldyouso
Noshankingtonite
Adam D
drive4show
Doc
Davie
barragan
MustPuttBetter
Maverick
McLaren
navyblueshorts
LondonJonnyO
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Problems with yardage - Page 2 Empty Problems with yardage

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 25 Apr 2011, 10:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Over tbe years there have been numerous articles on 606 relating to distances. And this isn't another of those. What i'd like to know is why people are so hostile to people stating they hit it whatever. Personally i have no issues with someone stating a number as they tend to caveat if a high handicap or cite some other failing if low.

So come on guys. Why so cynical?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Problems with yardage - Page 2 Empty Re: Problems with yardage

Post by oldshanker Thu 28 Apr 2011, 11:44 pm

Halved in birdie 3's as well wasn't it LJ.

The hole was marked at the yellows and we were playing from the marked post, not in front or behind. Whilst I am willing to believe the distance was a little out due to measurements made by the wheel and not a laser, I will not accept any more than 20 yards.

The hole is 342 yards and the first 150 yards are up hill and yes the wind was well and truly behind and we have had very little rain for the last 2 months.

However, add to that, I have played the course for 20 years and have never seen that green driven let alone split! I did mention to all today 3 maybe 4 greens that I thought might be drivable, but not that one!

Personally, I do not care who believes me and maybe it was 250 yard carry with a 100 yard roll, we could not see that. All I know is it was a peach of a shot that I described as perfect I seem to remember. I'm only unhappy that I didn't describe sj's the same way, because that was just as good.

Mind you - it didn't really help your cause today LJ, it was only 'El Ringo' and your insy winsy that kept your heads above water. Whistle
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri 29 Apr 2011, 12:01 am

It was to both. Halved in threes. And the weemans putting. Like i say. Its a ling road to where i want to be. Bloody lessons!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 29 Apr 2011, 1:03 am

We did laugh about this at the time, saying that it'd have to be reported on this thread. The hole was exactly as LJ has described it, though I'd say it was pretty much straight downwind. According to the Met Office website, the wind was around 21mph, with a NNE direction which is pretty much the same as the hole in question. I'd never claim to hit it that far regularly, but I put 3 wood back in my bag and went with driver as the shot seemed on in the conditions.

Oops, just seen LJ's and OS's page 2 posts. Thanks, OS, and I think you're probably right about the carry/roll ratio. We'll get 'em next time, the ringer must be due an off day with the putter!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Apr 2011, 10:27 am

Any chance the hole can be named so we can measure it on google earth?

LJ

I knew who you meant by shanker and sj, was just winding you up.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Apr 2011, 10:37 am

I don't doubt LJ for a minute.
If the conditions are right it's pretty easy to hit a drive well in excess of 300 yards.
There is a couple of holes on The Castle where if it is downwind you can hit in excess of 350 due the it being slightly downhill with firm fairways.

I do however doubt the people that say they regularly carry it in excess of 280. They must be banned from every range in the country.
I suspect they fall into the bracket of never actually measuring it, but merely estimate.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Fri 29 Apr 2011, 11:46 am

good grief lj, you do get wound up easily sometimes. calm down dear, calm down...

downwind with a good bounce, i can believe that. if you get that perfect, out the middle strike with a draw/ dead straight flight and wind over the left shoulder it's sometimes incredible how far the ball can 1) carry and then 2) run.

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri 29 Apr 2011, 1:07 pm

Mac. Wound up? No. Just exposing a little bit if cynicism here. And as i said. The 15th at thorpe wood
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2