The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions coaching assistants announced

+33
rodders
Gordy
thebandwagonsociety
majesticimperialman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
LondonTiger
Cyril
Scrumpy
Luckless Pedestrian
sirtidychris
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
The Great Aukster
Casartelli
Toadfish
Cadair Idris
mikey_philVIII
George Carlin
mystiroakey
SecretFly
fa0019
Geordie
thebluesmancometh
beshocked
pbuk0
thomh
SubsBench
samuraidragon
propdavid_london
AlastairW
kingjohn7
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Cardiff Taffy
37 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lions coaching assistants announced - Page 2 Empty Lions coaching assistants announced

Post by Cardiff Taffy Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20638321

Good work Rob Howley you've really earned it!

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Lions coaching assistants announced - Page 2 Empty Re: Lions coaching assistants announced

Post by maestegmafia Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:41 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Alchy was too much in all fairness I shouldn't have used that term, but he is renowned for liking his drinkypoo's, probably not too unlike a lot of us.

You and Casartelli shouldn't make stuff up just because you don't like him.

Howley, so far as i have heard is a fitness fanatic and teetotaller...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Lions coaching assistants announced - Page 2 Empty Re: Lions coaching assistants announced

Post by Cyril Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:46 am

Spoiler:

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:47 am

maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Alchy was too much in all fairness I shouldn't have used that term, but he is renowned for liking his drinkypoo's, probably not too unlike a lot of us.

So was Jimmy Sa.......... Run

ps I hope that is not too distasteful. Been up since 3am so my sensitivity chip is well and truly broken

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:54 am

LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

So was Jimmy Sa.......... Run

ps I hope that is not too distasteful. Been up since 3am so my sensitivity chip is well and truly broken

Hardly good taste is it...?

Bit like comparing the Millennium Stadium to Nuremburg.

The level of taste and supposed humour on this site has dropped massively recently.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:56 am

It's Friday afternoon maes! Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:59 am

maestegmafia wrote:

So whats his excuse for being a porker then?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:02 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Teetotaller???

Didn't know Howley even played golf. drumroll

I'm here all week.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:02 am

MM

He does still train apparently but I can tell you Ive seen him with a pint in his hands! And he has a reputation around the Arms Park.

Lets not get touchy about a Saville joke here or there, jees!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:05 am

Now then now then now then.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:16 am

[the moderation team giggled at this joke but removed it anyway]

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:18 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:[the moderation team giggled at this joke but removed it anyway]

not exactly fair is it mods!!! maybe i wanted a giggle

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:23 am

mystiroakey wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:[the moderation team giggled at this joke but removed it anyway]

not exactly fair is it mods!!! maybe i wanted a giggle

Sorry Oakey, that Red pen was all Cyril, the post hasn't been edited. Have him make up a joke and PM it to you later Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:24 am

what- joker!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:41 am

I demand that Cyril's joke is privately pasted to me this instant! You can't have a joke that gets a laugh even out of a mod and yet is considered bad enough to ban.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:01 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Well I don't think its that big a shock but please please please can the WRU now give Howley a sabatical as well so we don't have to suffer him for the 6 Nations.

Good point. I just don't think it's possible for Howley to perform his Lions duties if he stays in his Wales role for the 6N - time to take your leave Rob thumbsup

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:20 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Well I don't think its that big a shock but please please please can the WRU now give Howley a sabatical as well so we don't have to suffer him for the 6 Nations.

Now, i think you are asking too much there. Headscratch

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:27 am

The Irish national coaching set up is under pressure and in-flux shall we say, so Gatland would have been brave to take someone from there. Scotland are in rag order since Robinson quit, if you picked an assistant from there, who knows what will happen when the new coach comes in (possibly with an entire new support team).

In reality, the English lads were one of his few options from the national set ups.

I'd prefer is they thought outside the box a bit more though, snap up some of the club talent for the support staff.

Think about Schmidt getting to play with a Lions backline. Or Cockerill or even Anthony Foley sorting out some foreward grit. Opportunity missed really.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:38 am

Why on earth is Howley going? He should be sacked from his Wales position. Maybe this means we can expect a Wales XV for the Lions series....
Next thing you know Shane Williams will be getting a call to start on the wing.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:42 am

I'm personally delighted Schmidt wasn't invited to become part of the Lions. Irish rugby has to be quite selfish right now. There is a major gulf between the exploits and playing style of Irish regions and that of International. If English and Welsh coaches are the deal for Lions this time then they should take a bulk of English/Welsh players with them too....players they know, players they already organise in terms of units and playing style.

I'm happy that all Irish coaches will remain in situ.. and I'll be certainly more than ok with minimum Irish player paricipation with Lions too - if such it turns out to be.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:13 am

Joe Schmidt was my call for coach. He has been very impressive.

Fly I don't see the countries that the coaches represent being much baring on the Lions squad selection at all. If Ireland do well this Six Nations they will get a good number of call ups.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:25 am

maestegmafia wrote:Joe Schmidt was my call for coach. He has been very impressive.

Fly I don't see the countries that the coaches represent being much baring on the Lions squad selection at all. If Ireland do well this Six Nations they will get a good number of call ups.

Oh I know that, maesteg. I'm just speaking about my personal preferences for minimal Irish involvement this time. Time to get our own house in order. As I say, probably being selfish...but I couldn't genuinely apologise for that either. Nation is by far my priority. We gained little from a National perspective from our last reasonably high participation. Time for England to take the - Lion's - share. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:18 am

SecretFly wrote:
Oh I know that, maesteg. I'm just speaking about my personal preferences for minimal Irish involvement this time. Time to get our own house in order. As I say, probably being selfish...but I couldn't genuinely apologise for that either. Nation is by far my priority. We gained little from a National perspective from our last reasonably high participation. Time for England to take the - Lion's - share. Wink

I'm not sure I agree with that Fly. Collectively maybe not but on an individual level the Lions can be an opportunity for players to to their games to a new level and then bring that back into their national and club/provincial set up. I've not doubt that guys like O'Driscoll, Kearney, Wallace, Heaslip, Bowe, Ferris, O'Connell etc. not only gained a huge amount from their Lions experiences but also advanced their own reputations as players.

Healy, O'Brien, Best, Ryan etc. would gain a huge amount from a Lions tour I think.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:24 am

SecretFly wrote:I'm just speaking about my personal preferences for minimal Irish involvement this time. Time to get our own house in order. As I say, probably being selfish...but I couldn't genuinely apologise for that either. Nation is by far my priority. We gained little from a National perspective from our last reasonably high participation. Time for England to take the - Lion's - share. Wink

England are only just beginning to show signs of getting their own house in order. Surely it's time for someone else to take the Lions share, can't Gatland take his welsh crew? Whistle

The Kittens can have Cipriani and we get our coaches back for our real summer tour!

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:26 am

not interested in england playing a big part in all this- I remember start of the year it was all about a welsh and irish side.. What gives hey!

good call above btw- they can have ciprani- and why not take some of the french lads like sackey an all. no skin of englands nose then

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:29 am

SecretFly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Joe Schmidt was my call for coach. He has been very impressive.

No I don't think so. The only AI game we could win against strong opposition was against a team that had to keep their cheeks clenched throughout the game (hence why they did travel as far Whistle ). No, England are pretty strong at the moment. I mean Ireland managed to beat one of the top SH teams and ran the Boks extremely close. There should be a heavy Irish dominance (with plenty of Welsh as they did win the GS with the players that will be available, and possibly another next year).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:38 am

I couldn't care less who's selected, as long as the tour itself proves a lot of fun Yahoo

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:40 am

I know this is always dicey ground Rodders..as the moment you mention the Lions here you're risking threading on people's very real sensitivities about the concept.

Not my desire to upset people with talk of being unmmoved by The Lions. But we're all sensitive in our own way so I still have to give my real views on it.

I don't believe any player that can and does excel at International level gains anything extra in practical terms by playing for the Lions. You have it (International prowess/potential) or you don't in my view.

Yes, the chosen players enjoy it (most of them) - by all means I agree with that. They want to be picked because it assumes recognised ability. It's a confidence pep-up. So on a personal level the players who get picked enjoy it.

But nope.... when I hear people suggest it is a higher honour - or higher standards in operation at coaching level - than the honour or the capacity of beating these SH sides as a single Nation, then my own sensitivities come to the fore. It doesn't go down too well at all. But I smile through it.

I wouldn't campaign to have it ended and I'll watch the games..but truly I only watch it to check up on Irish player performances. I don't feel the connection to the concept itself at all - never have.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:45 am

mystiroakey wrote:not interested in england playing a big part in all this- I remember start of the year it was all about a welsh and irish side.. What gives hey!

good call above btw- they can have ciprani- and why not take some of the french lads like sackey an all. no skin of englands nose then

Not by me!

Come on guys, where's the Lion's spirit...it's always been a traditionally alternative method for British men to go off and clobber the natives and convicts! What ho? Where has all the gung ho gone?? Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:47 am

Fly

I disagree, if your lucky enough to be selected for the lions you get to meet with, play and train with players deemed better than the best of your nation, you can't say a Jonny Sexton type wouldn't learn and appreciate training with the likes of Wilkinson, you can't say BOD had no bearing on how Roberts came along as an international player.

A player like Gilroy would learn a massive amount from others on that sort of tour!!!

I can understand people not being connected with the lions, and myself don't see it as do or die like the national team but I respect the concept enough to enjoy it, and cannot wait to travel my first tour.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:51 am

Fly I respect your opinion.. I'm not upset at all in fact I'm a bit apathetic about the Lions these days myself.

However I do think it is a big honor for our players to get selected and that the net gains out way the benefits.

For example some would say ROG didn't always have the best time on tour, battered to a pulp in 2001 by McCrae.... conceding the penalty last time.. however he said a real turning point in his career was in 2001 when he saw how hard Jonny Wilkinson trained and that it gave him a real kick up the backside to practice his kicking.

Would he, or O'Driscoll, be the players they were without that experience in 2001,positive and negative, I'm not so sure they would.

Another thing is that the SH nations really raise their game against the Lions, its a huge thing to win and no team wants to lose a Lions series. So in that regard I think its reasonable to argue that, the RWC apart, a Lions test is as intense as it gets for a player from Britain and Ireland.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:52 am

SecretFly wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:not interested in england playing a big part in all this- I remember start of the year it was all about a welsh and irish side.. What gives hey!

Not by me!

Come on guys, where's the Lion's spirit...it's always been a traditionally alternative method for British men to go off and clobber the natives and convicts! What ho? Where has all the gung ho gone?? Wink

It's being reminised about in this thread ....

https://www.606v2.com/t38194-thugby-the-1989-lions-and-a-bit-of-niggle

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:57 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Fly

I disagree, if your lucky enough to be selected for the lions you get to meet with, play and train with players deemed better than the best of your nation, you can't say a Jonny Sexton type wouldn't learn and appreciate training with the likes of Wilkinson, you can't say BOD had no bearing on how Roberts came along as an international player.

A player like Gilroy would learn a massive amount from others on that sort of tour!!!

I can understand people not being connected with the lions, and myself don't see it as do or die like the national team but I respect the concept enough to enjoy it, and cannot wait to travel my first tour.

Hmm, you could say the French players could also do with playing with and learning from their neighbours? French players would shrug their shoulders and walk away smoking their careless cigarettes.

We have a very low opinion of ourselves if we always assume 4 'Nations' need go off together to learn their trade...and still more often lose than win, even with all the extra intensity of 'best' players together.

And that 'we' again still irks me. Wales is Wales, France is France, England is England...no more need for a sense of 'we' between England and Wales than there already is between Wales and France - namely none.

People will have their views... but mine are set unfortunately Smile

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:09 am

SecretFly wrote:We have a very low opinion of ourselves if we always assume 4 'Nations' need go off together to learn their trade...and still more often lose than win, even with all the extra intensity of 'best' players together.

It's not a question of having a low opinion of ourselves. It's a pretty self-evident fact that the higher standard of players you train with the more you learn, and the four countries combined by definition have a better squad on paper than the constituent nations.

SecretFly wrote:And that 'we' again still irks me. Wales is Wales, France is France, England is England...no more need for a sense of 'we' between England and Wales than there already is between Wales and France - namely none.

It can irk you all you like, but if you honestly think that there is no more of a "we" between England and Wales than between Wales and France then I'd recommend having another look at your passport.

SecretFly wrote:People will have their views... but mine are set unfortunately

Well then there's not much point in going on discussion boards.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:17 am

thomh wrote:
SecretFly wrote:We have a very low opinion of ourselves if we always assume 4 'Nations' need go off together to learn their trade...and still more often lose than win, even with all the extra intensity of 'best' players together.

It's not a question of having a low opinion of ourselves. It's a pretty self-evident fact that the higher standard of players you train with the more you learn, and the four countries combined by definition have a better squad on paper than the constituent nations.

SecretFly wrote:And that 'we' again still irks me. Wales is Wales, France is France, England is England...no more need for a sense of 'we' between England and Wales than there already is between Wales and France - namely none.

It can irk you all you like, but if you honestly think that there is no more of a "we" between England and Wales than between Wales and France then I'd recommend having another look at your passport.

SecretFly wrote:People will have their views... but mine are set unfortunately

Well then there's not much point in going on discussion boards.

What passport would that be thomh? My Irish one?

And let me ask you, are you prepared to change your views on The Lions? - Nope? - thought so. Neither would I ask or demand that you do. But we can still discuss...we've just a few lines together to prove it.

Yep, we got a sensitive subject all right - I'm correct on that one Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:33 am

Well there are clear links between any of the british nations, mostly because we are all interlinked by land, blood, history and culture.

I know tons of people in Dublin who have managed to get a british passport, making certain things easier, buying property in the UK being just one of them.

We is exactly right tbh mate, Wales England and Scotland are certainly a 'we' in a lot of issues, as is NI. Infact the Irish and Brits are all interlinked too!!!

I'm not making an attempt to change your mind mate, and tbh I'm not that bothered by others opinions (as I am sure your not of mine) but the last post irked me to think none of us are related at all, most people in the UK and Ireland have family recent or distant from the other.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:06 am

See what I'm saying? We're all more sensitive about this Lions idea than perhaps we're prepared to fully ever admit - on both sides of the discussion. You're irked by my comments (I appreciate that..not my desire to irritate those who love the Lions, as I said) and I continue to be irked by the easy assumption that somewhere on my passport I'll find something that suggests my allegiances should read Ireland second, Lions first.

No. Ireland first, second and last in rugby terms, then New Zealand (which I followed from childhood) then Australia (where I have family and maybe even future Aussie player nephews) ...then The Lions for some easy watching without the stresses.

We're all different on these islands - as different as we are similar. Different histories and loyalties for our own historic reasons. There is no 'we', only friendships between neighbouring countries. Like I said, I'd have no intention of looking for the Lions to end but I'll decide personally how 'we' it is for me - and it isn't.

The debate better go back to the coach thing though.... this just degrades as time goes on.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:17 am

TBH we(ireland and gb) for me in sport is reserved for the walker cup and the ryder cup.. And tbh if the ryder cup was still only GB and iRE- we would possibly be a better team an all!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:35 am

My being irked by your comments though has nothing to do with the lions, you claimed none of us in GB and Eire had anything to do with each other and France relationship to the English is as close as anyone elses. This clearly isn't true, and as I stated so many Irish nationals have british passports these days through some sort of family being British or northern Irish ( I know my girlf claimed a british passport when we were buying a property despite all her immediate family being from Dublin)

So like it or not the Irish has cultural, historical and dare I say it blood links with the UK, so for numerous reasons the word 'we' is very applicable.

Regarding the lions each to their own.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:20 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:My being irked by your comments though has nothing to do with the lions, you claimed none of us in GB and Eire had anything to do with each other and France relationship to the English is as close as anyone elses. This clearly isn't true, and as I stated so many Irish nationals have british passports these days through some sort of family being British or northern Irish ( I know my girlf claimed a british passport when we were buying a property despite all her immediate family being from Dublin)

So like it or not the Irish has cultural, historical and dare I say it blood links with the UK, so for numerous reasons the word 'we' is very applicable.

Didn't say a damn thing about culture...I was talking about Lions and rugby, bluesman. Lions and rugby. My Nation, in my eyes, as a rugby playing Nation, controlled by the IRFU, fighting together and against each other as Provinces - has absolutely nothing to do with English rugby, or Welsh rugby, or Scottish rugby Anymore than it has something to do with French rugby. That's my point, that has always been my point. Welsh rugby is a distinct 'Nation' in rugby terms, separate from England as much as it is from French rugby - fact.

Now I'll do the culture bit, since you bring it up. Bluster as much as you like - I'm Irish, you're Welsh. You're Welsh, I'm Irish. We aren't anything else to each other - neighbours. Irish people get British passports? British people get Irish passports just as easily. Lots of Irish blood in GB. Lots of French blood in it. Lots of Indian blood there. Lots of Caribbean blood there. Lot's of Italian blood there. etc etc.
I'm not British, that's the important bit - not close to being, not nearer it than a French person, not on my way to being, not culturally so, no allegiance to, no emotional connection to the idea, not linked - understand?

I have no obligations to your sense of how united we should feel on these islands. You are Welsh - a sub culture linked to this 'British' one if you want to refine it for yourself....since you're using the term liberally. I'm Irish - not British. Don't tell me what I am, thanks. That's the sensitivity thing I mentioned. Don't tell me what I am, what I should be or what history tells me I'm part of whether I like it or not. I'm a citizen of a different country to you - different, not the same. The NI bit can speak for itself. I'm speaking about me.

You dictate quite a bit, bluesman. You like telling people when they are wrong, when they've worked things out badly, when they've made the wrong choices. Meanwhile, everything I said I put a 'personal' note on it - my choices, my opinions, my truths. You don't have to share them but you won't dictate my Nationality to me and suggest it's something that waters down into some overall fluid British identity. It doesn't.
Irish - as distinct from a Welsh person or English person as I am from a French or Italian. If you want to feel a little Irish or if the Irish who have British passports want to feel a little British - so be it. Doesn't change what I am, and doesn't change the country I inhabit.

Hope that clears it up Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:41 am

WOW talk about sensitive!!!

My point is firstly as Welsh as I am my passport says british, a large proportion of Irish people get British passports for British perks, much larger % than Brits who get an Irish passport.

Regarding rugby of course the bodies are the same, but the rugby community is a very close nit one, and you can feel as isolated as you like, it's not for me to say you are anything other than you are, but then I didn't mention you specifically did I? I was talking rugby communy, national identity, and culture/history in general. I feel a bit sad for you for feeling that way, and all the people I have met from Ireland have the same sense of community as I do, from friends to those professionals within the game.

I dictate nothing, as I don't get personal (cheap shot from your end) I also don't get offended easily, and try to read posts from everyones side.

There is a huge difference between wanting to be something, and recognising a relationship between something, the word 'we' doesn't imply that people want to be something they are not, ot states that there is a relationship.

Nothing like the 77 million plastics of the US of course.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:42 am

And if I was a lesser man I would ask you to stop getting plastered every March in the name of a Welsh farmer OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:02 am

....so anyways fly ... my point was nothing to do with being British or Irish or neither or both or whatever... but about the fact that Duncan McCrae giving ROG a good pummeling in 2001 made him a better player..... just so you understand..thats what my point was... Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:37 pm

SecretFly wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:My being irked by your comments though has nothing to do with the lions, you claimed none of us in GB and Eire had anything to do with each other and France relationship to the English is as close as anyone elses. This clearly isn't true, and as I stated so many Irish nationals have british passports these days through some sort of family being British or northern Irish ( I know my girlf claimed a british passport when we were buying a property despite all her immediate family being from Dublin)

Didn't say a damn thing about culture...I was talking about Lions and rugby, bluesman. Lions and rugby. My Nation, in my eyes, as a rugby playing Nation, controlled by the IRFU, fighting together and against each other as Provinces - has absolutely nothing to do with English rugby, or Welsh rugby, or Scottish rugby Anymore than it has something to do with French rugby. That's my point, that has always been my point. Welsh rugby is a distinct 'Nation' in rugby terms, separate from England as much as it is from French rugby - fact.

Now I'll do the culture bit, since you bring it up. Bluster as much as you like - I'm Irish, you're Welsh. You're Welsh, I'm Irish. We aren't anything else to each other - neighbours. Irish people get British passports? British people get Irish passports just as easily. Lots of Irish blood in GB. Lots of French blood in it. Lots of Indian blood there. Lots of Caribbean blood there. Lot's of Italian blood there. etc etc.
I'm not British, that's the important bit - not close to being, not nearer it than a French person, not on my way to being, not culturally so, no allegiance to, no emotional connection to the idea, not linked - understand?

I have no obligations to your sense of how united we should feel on these islands. You are Welsh - a sub culture linked to this 'British' one if you want to refine it for yourself....since you're using the term liberally. I'm Irish - not British. Don't tell me what I am, thanks. That's the sensitivity thing I mentioned. Don't tell me what I am, what I should be or what history tells me I'm part of whether I like it or not. I'm a citizen of a different country to you - different, not the same. The NI bit can speak for itself. I'm speaking about me.

You dictate quite a bit, bluesman. You like telling people when they are wrong, when they've worked things out badly, when they've made the wrong choices. Meanwhile, everything I said I put a 'personal' note on it - my choices, my opinions, my truths. You don't have to share them but you won't dictate my Nationality to me and suggest it's something that waters down into some overall fluid British identity. It doesn't.
Irish - as distinct from a Welsh person or English person as I am from a French or Italian. If you want to feel a little Irish or if the Irish who have British passports want to feel a little British - so be it. Doesn't change what I am, and doesn't change the country I inhabit.

Hope that clears it up Wink

.......... and you can thank a Welsh Prime Minister for what you are as well aye kiss
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:25 pm

What a Welsh prime minister? You mean head of the Assembly? The AM? That useless pile of Shoite!!

Anyway, I think I owe Fly an apology, I think I ttok his commentes slightly off and got into a war for no reason, and regarding a subject people are more sensitive to than I, Sorry Fly wasn't on the wind up.

I started to justify the lions as a tool to help players improve, and there are countless numbers of players who have made careers on the back of a lions tour, Earls being catapulted to the world stage just being one example.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Awww.. Does that mean you are in a good mood today Mr Blue.. Is my time out over...?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:40 pm

Yes your time outs over...

You were a naughty boy, and you were put in time out for trying to wind daddy up, now say sorry and give me a kiss kiss so you can go play with the others.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:45 pm

kiss

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Laugh

Now lets bring on the HC squabbling, I think your team is going to get smashed this weekend Myster...

Who's your team?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:53 pm

The mighty Wasps..Fleetingly anyway ...

Very Happy

Yours?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:58 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:What a Welsh prime minister? You mean head of the Assembly? The AM? That useless pile of Shoite!!

Anyway, I think I owe Fly an apology, I think I ttok his commentes slightly off and got into a war for no reason, and regarding a subject people are more sensitive to than I, Sorry Fly wasn't on the wind up.

I started to justify the lions as a tool to help players improve, and there are countless numbers of players who have made careers on the back of a lions tour, Earls being catapulted to the world stage just being one example.

Dear me picard Try the 1920's .
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next