The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions coaching assistants announced

+33
rodders
Gordy
thebandwagonsociety
majesticimperialman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
LondonTiger
Cyril
Scrumpy
Luckless Pedestrian
sirtidychris
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
The Great Aukster
Casartelli
Toadfish
Cadair Idris
mikey_philVIII
George Carlin
mystiroakey
SecretFly
fa0019
Geordie
thebluesmancometh
beshocked
pbuk0
thomh
SubsBench
samuraidragon
propdavid_london
AlastairW
kingjohn7
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Cardiff Taffy
37 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Lions coaching assistants announced - Page 3 Empty Lions coaching assistants announced

Post by Cardiff Taffy Fri 7 Dec - 9:23

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20638321

Good work Rob Howley you've really earned it!

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Lions coaching assistants announced - Page 3 Empty Re: Lions coaching assistants announced

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 8 Dec - 11:19

Bit of a mixture tbh Myster, Am Cardiff born and bred, so Cardiff rfc, and the Blues (well I am a season ticket holder) if needs must, but also have soft spot for Connacht, Exeter, and Ponty rfc, not to mention being a season ticket holder for the Dragons.

If I had to choose one I'd say I was most critical of the Blues so their probably my team OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Lions coaching assistants announced - Page 3 Empty Re: Lions coaching assistants announced

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 8 Dec - 11:20

PS

Had a very good night down at Wasps in the Amlin a few years ago, and I like the Welsh vision of the club these days OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 8 Dec - 11:41

Did Earls come back from the last Lions a better player with his reputation enhanced? What about BOD in 2005?

If a player is gets overlooked for the tour, does that help his confidence? If say Ireland get 5 players into the Lions, what about the 30+ who didn't get selected? Basically is it worth branding the majority of the Test team as inferior, while at the same time creating a divisive elite? That is psychologically damaging.

The Lions concept re-inforces the idea that the individual nations can never compete with the SH powerhouses. If the champion players from the four nations can't beat them, what chance do the individual teams have. If the Lions manage a win then it is because they were the absolute best aggregate and sprinkling a few players back into the National team will have little effect. As bad as this is for the home nations it has the opposite effect on their opponents.

Of course a scratch team can never compete with a fully experienced pro unit, but this is conveniently overlooked by those who honestly believe professionalism has had no impact on the game.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 8 Dec - 14:08

The Great Aukster wrote:Of course a scratch team can never compete with a fully experienced pro unit, but this is conveniently overlooked by those who honestly believe professionalism has had no impact on the game.

The last lions team played MUCH better rugby in the SH than I've seen any NH touring side manage in a very, very long time.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 8 Dec - 14:21

Notch what about england end of 2010 in aus!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 8 Dec - 14:52

Yes, that was good.

That Lions series in 2009 was as good as you'll ever see test rugby though.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 8 Dec - 15:27

Notch

Have to agree, 2009 tests were the best rugby I have ever seen, SA were playing well before hand but wow both teams turned up and gave it some come the tests!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 8 Dec - 20:33

Look I'm pretty on the fence about the Lions and am not sure if it has a long term future in the pro era.

However one thing those in the anti Lions camp seem to ignore is that the players - from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales - nearly all still want to be on the tours and in the test team. No one is forcing them to go...the players themselves clearly see it as a huge honor. Likewise the SH teams see it as a big thing to beat the Lions.

Honestly I personally don't care if there is a tour next summer or not but if there is then I hope to see Irish players get selected and then, regardless of who is selected, I want to see the Lions win.

Back to the OP, I'm not too happy about the coaching team but sure we'll see how it goes...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 9 Dec - 2:16

Why hasn't Howley got more of a role? He's awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 9 Dec - 2:27

The absence of any Irish or Scottish people in the management mix might ruffle a few feathers. It probably pushes the case for having a couple of selected leaders in the squad from those countries to balance that out. Particularly O'Driscoll as tour captain if he mends himself in time.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 9 Dec - 9:28

Risca Rev wrote:Why hasn't Howley got more of a role? He's awesome.

Doh

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 9 Dec - 15:08

Being part of the Lions was a big honour in the past because that was pretty much the only way the players would ever be able to test themselves against the big SH teams. Obviously that doesn't apply today but the players haven't cottoned on yet!

It is patently wrong that the players should consider it a higher honour to play in the Lions that for their country. If the SH nations had their own version, does anyone seriously think Carter or McCaw would consider it a greater honour to represent that team than the All Blacks?

Whatever the coaching team, and the selection I'll support them and follow the Irish with interest, but there is no argument that these tours do anything but damage to the B&I nations.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 9 Dec - 23:38

majesticimperialman wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:Why hasn't Howley got more of a role? He's awesome.

Doh

I knew I'd reel you in. But that's a poor bite. Child's play fishing, if you will. Even a guy like you must've heard of sarcasm? Note the spelling though. HOWLEY.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3