The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions coaching assistants announced

+33
rodders
Gordy
thebandwagonsociety
majesticimperialman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
LondonTiger
Cyril
Scrumpy
Luckless Pedestrian
sirtidychris
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
The Great Aukster
Casartelli
Toadfish
Cadair Idris
mikey_philVIII
George Carlin
mystiroakey
SecretFly
fa0019
Geordie
thebluesmancometh
beshocked
pbuk0
thomh
SubsBench
samuraidragon
propdavid_london
AlastairW
kingjohn7
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Cardiff Taffy
37 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lions coaching assistants announced Empty Lions coaching assistants announced

Post by Cardiff Taffy Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:23 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20638321

Good work Rob Howley you've really earned it!

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Lions coaching assistants announced Empty Re: Lions coaching assistants announced

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:29 am

Well we can look forward to a feast of subtle unpredicatble attacking flair based rugby then.

Erm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Lions coaching assistants announced Empty Re: Lions coaching assistants announced

Post by kingjohn7 Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:29 am

picard
shocking decision

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:30 am

Sorry i can't allow this. You can have Cips though, thats the only compromise i'll make. monkey

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:38 am

I'm surprised that its not Edwards going!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:39 am

Well-merited, boys.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:39 am

On the plus side, this does mean that Howley wont be in charge of Wales on our summer tour.
Yahoo

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:44 am

To be fair, no-one was complaining about Howley as assistant coach when they won the grand slam.

Rowntree is unsurprising.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:51 am

If they picked the coaching assistants on current form, Howley would be nowhere near the squad... I was surprised that Edwards hasn't been named but I guess Farrell will do his job..

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:54 am

thomh wrote:To be fair, no-one was complaining about Howley as assistant coach when they won the grand slam.

There were quite a lot of complaints about the gameplan / selection, actually. Not all Welsh fans are uncritical supporters of the Gatland approach.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:02 am

Farrell as a defense coach hasn't done a bad job for England. Hopefully he stays in that role. England's defence in general has been decent in Lancaster's tenure. Especially the first half vs NZ.

Does this mean Howley is back's coach? Doh

Rowntree is a good choice.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:11 am

samuraidragon wrote:
thomh wrote:To be fair, no-one was complaining about Howley as assistant coach when they won the grand slam.

There were quite a lot of complaints about the gameplan / selection, actually. Not all Welsh fans are uncritical supporters of the Gatland approach.

Not so much during the last season, though.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:17 am

WOW, Rob Howely you are the jammiest little Alchy that was ever graced with a bit of rugby skill, those few wasps tries have carved out a career beyond playing the sport long to annoy the welsh public.

The guy was a good little scrummy, was given a job by his mates at the blues, suddenly was inundated with talent in the backline (Roberts, James, 1/2p, Robinson, Phillips) and became renowned for finding a decent high spot to watch games (most backs coaches would love to have a TV camera and crane at hand)

Now he is the best backs coach in Britain and Ireland??? I am actually considering getting a refund on my flight, Farrell is another one, got the job by defauly and has been average at best.

Have nothing but good things to say about Rowntree as I have heard nothing but good things!!

My biggest problem with Gatland now is not that he isn't a good coach, he is, but he likes to surround himself with people who get criticised, takes the flak off himself, and keeps the focus elsewhere!!

Howley and Farrell please quit, allow better and more inventive options to travel and make the most of what will be one of the most varied lions squads I have seen in my lifetime!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:20 am

thomh

I disagree, there were times when Wales looked sublime in small pockets last season, but teams in the 6N countered the gameplan pretty comfortably, England and Italy were very effective (although both played a very defensive gameplan) and Ireland were the only team to say 'I don't car who you are you play us, we're not playing you' and were the better team only to lose the game in the last minute, dare I say if England had done the same they would've beaten us!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:34 am

I dont know enough about Howley to comment fairly.

Rowntree - Excellent

Farrell is the curious one for me...where has this come from?

He wasnt much fancied by the England fans..and too be honest i dont think our defence has been sensational...solid yes but not world beating (one game v NZ doesnt change that as they ran in 2 tries when they actually got moving)

Is he the best defence coach in Britain...hhmm not so sure...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:38 am

I agree Geordie, there are better in the AP, and dare I say it Rabo. But in comparison to the backs coach his selection is quite clever!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:39 am

An assistant coach can sometimes bask in the limelight of a head coach... team does well and he's a good coach, team does badly and well he's only a number 2 and he doesn't make final decisions.

i.e. Andy Robinson.

If Wales do very badly in the 6N how will this reflect on Howley?

Is it totally necessary to announce coaching staff so early?

Also.... to beat AUS we will need to have a flowing backline... they deal with NZ and SA all the time and can deal with route 1 bosh teams reasonably well... they never looked troubled by Wales or ENG this season who adopted similar tactics.

Howley is the only backline coach..... without making too many assumptions, Wales haven't been dynamic in that department for near 2-3 years. Is he really the man to be the lions attack coach???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:43 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Farrell is another one, got the job by defauly and has been average at best.

Can't agree with that, when the players have their heads screwed on, and their boots laced to the correct feet, our defense looks great. Thats what his job is.

Still, I'd like both of them back to keep out of the bickering, turgid, politcally driven affair that is The Lions. Please just take Cips as an England representative and you can all debate your hearts out about which Welsh/Scots/Irish would be best where. I'd rather see a full strenght England (Coaches & players both) see more playing time with each other on an Argentinian summer tour personally.

I know a lot of people see this as a great thing, but i've been falling out of love with the B&I lions for a long time now. I usually very much enjoy the age old traditions of Rugby, but the Lions leaves me particularly cold.

Anyways, i'll stop being a wet blanket now Wink

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:49 am

No Alastair... there are a few of us with roughly the same thoughts.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:50 am

I think you need to look at Englands record defencively over the course of a season, I don't think the system has been particularly effective over long periods.

Also I'm not sure why your so down on the Lions? Myabe I'm a bit young but I can't wait!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:54 am

Got any video analysis for that blues..

I mean a saw a youtube clip of alistair burning a lions flag- but my software couldnt gauge an accurate figure of how down he was about this historic series!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 07 Dec 2012, 10:59 am

Assuming Howley is there because he's quick at getting everyone's Starbucks.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:00 am

myster

Thats you on another timeout, please don't respond to any of my posts today, I will not be replying to you,

Thanks.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:01 am

laughing kiss

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:13 am

Well im an England fan and i dont think our defence has been so great.

Indeed ive commented on previous threads that our own( Newcastle Falcons) defence looks far more aggressive and organised etc...and whos our defence coach...Mr Graham Steadman.

Anyhow...it will be interesting to watch...and to see which playing personnel make the final cut....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:16 am

Laugh best bicker of the morning, thanks for the laugh on a slow day at work.

thebluesmancometh wrote:Also I'm not sure why your so down on the Lions? Maybe I'm a bit young but I can't wait!!

If push came to shove i couldn't tell you either Bluesman! Erm It just leaves me cold and thinking i'd rather my national team had more time together, i just don't feel at all 'invested' in the Lions. Everytime i see the bickering, the moaning/preening of fans, the turgid, ball breaking political BS that comes with these tours it turns me away even more. I'll watch the games for sure, but will i really give 2 hoots about ther results? Nah, not really, it's just a good excuse to see top flight Rugby.

If we're talking old school Rugby tradition with players from all nations coming together i'm far more invested in the 'good will to all man via the medium of a comprehensive tonking on the field' Ba-Ba's brand. Can't remember the last time i missed their end of season hoorah.

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:31 am

I can understand mate, does the lions fill me with dread/excitement pre game like the Wales games do? no, did I get angry, and ruin my day during the SA losses like I do with Wales games? no.

But for all the bickering and WUMing on this board (and any other where the anonimity makes people brave as bulls) there a thousands of real fans, those I stand next to on the terraces, school pitches and at the bar who are all happy to forget nationalities and come together for one cause.

I remember the last tour in the pub during the day in Dublin with a few Irish and English mates, Vickery gets thrown over a scrum and we all ooh and aah, then the ribbing for the English, followed by the disgruntlement and annoyance at O gara, followed by the ribbing of the Irish.

I have had some of the best times during lions tours with differing nationalities, and for me it is the ethos of rugby, for 4 years the English and Welsh boys are sworn enemies, then for a few weeks they travel south holding hands.

I love the baa baas too but I realy think in todays game the Baa Baa's just isn't competitive, they may win the odd game against developmental sides but havn't the chance to become competitive. I'd like to see the Baa Baa's changed slightly and field a world 15 instead of a selective 15. Every tier 1/2 nation represented.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:38 am

"(and any other where the anonimity makes people brave as bulls)"

banter is as banter does my friend.. Take it in the friendly way it was dished out.. That or be overcome by sensitivity and over react..

kiss

Dont worry i realise you wont reply for any day or so.. You gotta stick with your ethics and all that.. But Wink

I respect lions fans massively. And i will also be cheering us all on. However i allways cheer on the home nations when faced with other opposition, but i am very conflicted as to how the lions ethos is represented today- especially when it seems to hinder our sides(even if that is very slightly- sorry dont have a video analysis) Laugh

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:48 am

Looks like they're doing everything they can to train up Gatlands successor. Oh dear.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Fri 07 Dec 2012, 11:53 am

mikey_philVIII wrote:Looks like they're doing everything they can to train up Gatlands successor. Oh dear.

Think you're right there and I just hope he has the capacity the learn and quickly....I so far remain unconvinced.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:00 pm

I am finding Gatland's patronage of Howley increasingly hard to fathom. It's not a great prospect for the Lions next summer but it's also very worrying for Wales post-Gatland. I just hope the WRU and Roger Lewis in particular can look beyond the current coaching set up when they are looking for a successor, but I'm very concerned they will not. Long term for Wales I personally like the idea of a Nigel Davies/Kingsley Jones combination (with Jenks staying involved too).

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:01 pm

Think Howley was always a shoe in once Gatland was made coach but from an England perspective I'm a bit disapointed we'll be losing half our coaching team for our tour. As well as having a young team we have a young coaching team and would much rather seen them develop with England.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:11 pm

I really see the WRU investing in Howley massively only to select someone else when the time comes Gatland gets the long awaited AB offer.

It is typical WRU, absolute tripe!!!

Toadfish

I think that Farell and Rowntree will gain valuable experience with the lions, not to mention an insider view of potential opposition weapons, Lancaster will select 2 more from a number of talented coaches in the AP and give them experience also.

Losing a defence and forwards coach is one thing, head coach is a whole different ball game!!

IMHO the lions selection will benefit the England set up.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:24 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:I really see the WRU investing in Howley massively only to select someone else when the time comes Gatland gets the long awaited AB offer.

It is typical WRU, absolute tripe!!!

Toadfish

I think that Farell and Rowntree will gain valuable experience with the lions, not to mention an insider view of potential opposition weapons, Lancaster will select 2 more from a number of talented coaches in the AP and give them experience also.
Losing a defence and forwards coach is one thing, head coach is a whole different ball game!!

IMHO the lions selection will benefit the England set up.

Well England are free to LOAN Graham Steadman for the Argentina tour... Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:25 pm

Will steadman be able to create a defencive system against professional opposition though geordie Wink

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:45 pm

Howley remains under constant supervision from Gatland at all times, right?

He doesn't get to go on his own somewhere with a midweek team??? Without Warren.

We've all seen what happens when he goes solo.

Gatland must not leave him unattended. Under any circumstances.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:02 pm

The coaching selections are a good indicator of how the squad will be made up. Surely they can't pick many Scots or Irish as the coaches won't know them - so it's looking like there could be 28-30 from Wales and England, (which is good as that will minimise the damage to Ireland Wink).

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:04 pm

It's shame that such a great player makes such an ordinary coach. Maybe the secret is to find a mediocre player and make them coach. Someone should call Matt Dawson..... Run

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:11 pm

SL is gonna be the Alex ferguson of rugby- yet he was so bad he played for scotland at age level!!! Run

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:16 pm

Well I don't think its that big a shock but please please please can the WRU now give Howley a sabatical as well so we don't have to suffer him for the 6 Nations.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:17 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:WOW, Rob Howely you are the jammiest little Alchy that was ever graced with a bit of rugby skill, those few wasps tries have carved out a career beyond playing the sport long to annoy the welsh public.

The guy was a good little scrummy, was given a job by his mates at the blues, suddenly was inundated with talent in the backline (Roberts, James, 1/2p, Robinson, Phillips) and became renowned for finding a decent high spot to watch games (most backs coaches would love to have a TV camera and crane at hand)

Now he is the best backs coach in Britain and Ireland??? I am actually considering getting a refund on my flight, Farrell is another one, got the job by defauly and has been average at best.

Have nothing but good things to say about Rowntree as I have heard nothing but good things!!

My biggest problem with Gatland now is not that he isn't a good coach, he is, but he likes to surround himself with people who get criticised, takes the flak off himself, and keeps the focus elsewhere!!

Howley and Farrell please quit, allow better and more inventive options to travel and make the most of what will be one of the most varied lions squads I have seen in my lifetime!!!

Alchy ? ? ? Thats way off the mark...!

You are making stuff up there.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:18 pm

mystiroakey wrote:SL is gonna be the Alex ferguson of rugby- yet he was so bad he played for scotland at age level!!! Run

SL, better get cracking on that Alex Ferguson record then, has only another year or year and a half to do it all in, Oakey. That's the convention for the last decade with England and coaches.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:21 pm

Ermmm. I hope he gets a run!

Well as bad as scots seem to sport atm..... There managers are sweet. So that little bit of scottie dna in SL is what we need..

SL is gonna get a long run.. FINGERS CROSSED...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:26 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Will steadman be able to create a defencive system against professional opposition though geordie Wink

I thought we were playing Argentina?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:29 pm

Annoyed about farrell and rowntree..the only reason is so bloomin gatland and howley know our systems for the RWC match in 2015.....grrr

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:34 pm

fa0019 wrote:Howley is the only backline coach..... without making too many assumptions, Wales haven't been dynamic in that department for near 2-3 years. Is he really the man to be the lions attack coach???

It's not an appointment that fills me with excitement.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:38 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:WOW, Rob Howely you are the jammiest little Alchy that was ever graced with a bit of rugby skill, those few wasps tries have carved out a career beyond playing the sport long to annoy the welsh public.

Alchy ? ? ? Thats way off the mark...!

You are making stuff up there.

To be fair, it's probably not wide of the mark - just something that could be said of pretty much any Welsh international player of the 90s era. As publicly stated by our Australian caretaker coach at the 1995 RWC.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 1:39 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Howley is the only backline coach..... without making too many assumptions, Wales haven't been dynamic in that department for near 2-3 years. Is he really the man to be the lions attack coach???

It's not an appointment that fills me with excitement.

No he's not, not by a LONG way is he best.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 07 Dec 2012, 3:29 pm

Alchy was too much in all fairness I shouldn't have used that term, but he is renowned for liking his drinkypoo's, probably not too unlike a lot of us.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri 07 Dec 2012, 3:31 pm

How ? ley Sad
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next