The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Something to cheer about

3 posters

Go down

Something to cheer about Empty Something to cheer about

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 30 Nov 2012, 4:11 pm

Well just seen a thread showing our Phantom Menace write up some alternative awards for rugby. It seems this year we haven't had much to cheer about with many sides facing injuries. So why not, I thought, a thread celebrating some rugby we've seen this year instead of focusing on the negatives.

So here is my list.

1) BEST TRY FROM YOUR TEAM

By all means put up a few that have stood out for you. Then your fellow countrymen can debate the best tries and eventually we can put up our own for best tries of the year. For what it's worth, my best try was Corey Jane's effort in Scotland where there was slick passing and space created on the outside. Nothing too flashy but a classic exponent of the ball is quicker than the man and many slick hands make light work.

2) BEST TEST MATCH

Now by all means this is subjective but I would like you to pick a game where both sides dominated for different periods of the game and both sides could have easily won the game and I don't mean the result ended in a draw. Something where you came away from the game thinking wow that was a real tussle and I enjoyed watching that game.

For my mind, that was Ireland vs Wales in Dublin this year in the 6N

3) BEST CLUB or PROVINCIAL GAME

Similar to 2) but what got you all warm and fuzzy inside this year? The Super 15 had some very interesting games this year for me and though I am not a fan of the conference system I must admit the best rugby came from those matches. Sharks vs Stormers for example at sudden death and one that deserved to be a final but wasn't, was for me my favourite other team this year apart from the Sharks (nothing personal Chiefs for a well deserved title and happy to see you finally get the kudos owing to your previous efforts) the Hurricanes vs Chiefs. Controversy in the last minute and a real see-saw battle.

4) BEST SET PIECE MOVE

A rolling maul or a lineout that results in a try, what looked like it was cooked up on the training ground and served up with relish on the day. It's difficult for me to go past the 13 man lineout for Wales. That raised a laugh for me and I applauded the initiative.

5) BEST ROOKIE

A rookie doesn't necessarily have to be someone who started playing this year but someone who hasn't been around for long. For my mind, nobody has impressed more for me than François Louw.

6) BEST MOVER AND SHAKER

This award should go to the team who has made the most leaps and bounds this year. Scotland were looking good after their tour for example until they came unstuck at home wishing they were still in Apia. You could give it to Argentina who, whilst failing to score a win in the RC, came very close and were competitive in almost all their matches (for at least the 80 minutes). I have to take my hat off though to our Polynesian cousins Manu Samoa and Tonga. They have shown the way for Fiji and many other teams. Idenitfy your weaknesses (in their case the set piece) and go about fixing that problem whilst never losing sight of what made you previously look good.

7) BEST COACH

Doesn't have to be a test coach. I think Hansen has made in general a nice blend of preserving the old guards and assimilating the new guard. Many were unsure as to the worth of his deputies but I think largely they have done a commendable job. I have been particularly impressed with the new Italian coach Jacques Brunel. I am very keen to see how Italy perform next year as he seems to have taken a leaf out of Samoa's and Tonga's book and found a way to get Italy still operating with their good pack and defence but add in some creativity in the backs. You can't go past the Leinster coach Joe Schmidt and Jake White showed what a loss he is to any international side by coaching a rag-tag fugitive Brumbies side and fashioning them into something competitive.

8) BIGGEST INSPIRATION

The Pumas prop Rodrigo Roncero bows out after an illustrious career. Bryan Habana had some dark moments in the past and fell out of favour and form but has made a comeback and been at his old best this year. Richie Gray is a young man but has tackled (excuse the pun) the difficulties of playing in a side that has more ups and downs than Space Mountain and hit those rucks with fury and has led the way in the pack. For me though the ward goes to Nathan Sharpe who was pleaded to stay at the Wallabies because his coach didn't really have anyone else and needed a leader to rally his injury-wracked side. He was easily Australia's most consistent performer and showed true team spirit in a very dark hour for Australia.

9) BEST VENUE EXPERIENCE

I watch games at an Irish pub or at home because Madrid doesn't have too much in the way of rugby entertainment. But what has been the best memory of going to a stadium or a bar to watch the match this year? For me it was going to the second match against Ireland. The bar (except me) was willing on Ireland to win and it was fantastic to watch the anticipation and emotion on everyone's faces and nearly watching the implausible happen. Strangely though when the drop kick went over from Carter, there was no abuse (if you don't count - which I don't - you lucky fecker) and a good atmosphere even after the whistle.

10) BEST REF

Ok you're going to have to help me out on this one but it is an important part of the game and when have you thought I was more or less happy with that performance this year. I know I've said it but I'll have to do a bit of research to find out the ref(s) in question.

So there are my 10 best bits of rugby this year. Despite the frustrations and the outpouring of emotion, I'm sure if you look closely there is still much to celebrate this year about this wonderful game. kia kaha (be strong)

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Something to cheer about Empty Re: Something to cheer about

Post by damage_13 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 4:18 pm

damn.. and there was me hoping it was a thread announcing the news that the Norovirus has combined with a late night curry and 8 ABs are on a IV drip Very Happy

I don't follow enough club rugby to comment. But best set piece move HAS to be the Welsh 15 man lineout

edit: and that was my 500th post cider

Last edited by damage_13 on Fri 30 Nov 2012, 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : drinkies)

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 30 Nov 2012, 4:34 pm

damage_13 wrote:damn.. and there was me hoping it was a thread announcing the news that the Norovirus has combined with a late night curry and 8 ABs are on a IV drip Very Happy

I don't follow enough club rugby to comment. But best set piece move HAS to be the Welsh 15 man lineout

edit: and that was my 500th post cider

Well done on your 500th

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down