The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan explains controversial Roach comments

+14
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
hogey
manos de piedra
trottb
RatBoy66
tunes666
ShahenshahG
88Chris05
Kelvinj3
AlexHuckerby
Lance
azania
ONETWOFOREVER
Pedro147
18 posters

Go down

Amir Khan explains controversial Roach comments Empty Amir Khan explains controversial Roach comments

Post by Pedro147 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 4:05 pm

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2012/1101/343932-khan-explains-controversial-roach-comments/

Amir Khan has defended himself in the face of strong criticism for appearing to blame Freddie Roach's Parkinson's disease for his split from the trainer.

Former undisputed light-welterweight champion Khan and Roach parted company in the wake of his upset defeat by Danny Garcia in August and the 25-year-old has since appointed Virgil Hunter as his coach.

Speaking in promotion of his fight against Carlos Molina in Los Angeles on 15 December, Khan stated that Roach's ability to train was being impaired by his illness.

"It's hard to see him older and getting worse. I wish him the best," he said.

"Freddie, with the Parkinson's disease, he was struggling with instructions and couldn't move as well."

But Khan has used his Twitter account to clarify his comments, stressing he does not hold Roach accountable for his losses to Lamont Peterson and Garcia.

"Hey guys I didn't say @FreddieRoach is a bad trainer, he's 1 of the best out there and took my career to a high winning 2 world titles," Khan said.

"I blame myself for the losses in my career. Not blaming @FreddieRoach or anyone. I just needed a change."

Roach responded by stating his Parkinson's was not the cause of his split from Khan.

"If that was true, why would he say to me fire Manny Pacquiao and Julio Chavez Jr, and they'll keep me? Him, his father, his lawyer and his uncle all said that," he said.

"It had nothing to do with Parkinson's. They know that. And I wish them the best of luck."

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan explains controversial Roach comments Empty Re: Amir Khan explains controversial Roach comments

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 01 Nov 2012, 5:33 pm

Khan needs to get tangoed

Last edited by ONETWOFOREVER on Thu 01 Nov 2012, 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan explains controversial Roach comments Empty Re: Amir Khan explains controversial Roach comments

Post by azania Thu 01 Nov 2012, 7:52 pm

That is a sick comment onetwo and you should be banned for that. Duk Koo Kim was killed fighting. Why would you wish that on another boxer? Sick bar steward.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 01 Nov 2012, 8:04 pm

more lies and more backtracking from khan. hes quite funny really

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 01 Nov 2012, 8:15 pm

How do you know what he meant to say?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 01 Nov 2012, 8:16 pm

Well done for changing it but you're still a sick silly boy. And you have the temerity to criticise Khan? Stupid boy.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 01 Nov 2012, 8:56 pm

azania wrote:Well done for changing it but you're still a sick silly boy. And you have the temerity to criticise Khan? Stupid boy.

To be honest I actually agree, it's kind of funny that Khan is always "Stupid" for stuff that he says, but if you took stupid things that people have said on the forum and thrown it back in there face, I imagine everyone would end up looking pretty stupid at one point or another.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:01 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
azania wrote:Well done for changing it but you're still a sick silly boy. And you have the temerity to criticise Khan? Stupid boy.

To be honest I actually agree, it's kind of funny that Khan is always "Stupid" for stuff that he says, but if you took stupid things that people have said on the forum and thrown it back in there face, I imagine everyone would end up looking pretty stupid at one point or another.

What ONETWO said was that Khan should Duk Koo Kimmed. After the Korean boxer who got killed after a fight with Ray Mancini. I don't think I have read such hate on here before. He has serious issues.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:08 pm

azania wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

What ONETWO said was that Khan should Duk Koo Kimmed. After the Korean boxer who got killed after a fight with Ray Mancini. I don't think I have read such hate on here before. He has serious issues.

it was a poor attempt at a joke, and i think he was wrong to say it. but come on Az you dont have to take everything so personal when it comes to your best man amir. would be nice to have a khan thread oneday where you wouldnt turn it into a squabble and get all defensive everytime khan is criticized

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:18 pm

Not personal mate. It doesn't affect me. But wishing death on someone is not a thing one should say in jest even. There is criticism and there is a sick joke. Plus you mean you want a free for all Khan cursing thread.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:21 pm

azania wrote:Not personal mate. It doesn't affect me. But wishing death on someone is not a thing one should say in jest even. There is criticism and there is a sick joke. Plus you mean you want a free for all Khan cursing thread.

we dont need a free for all cursing khan thread. but we dont need khan threads policed by you either.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:30 pm

I'm not policing anything. I'm offering my opinion and countering the silly ones. Even you must agree that there is a high degree of hypocrisy when it comes to Khan and his detractors, many of who have serious issues.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelvinj3 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:30 pm

Khan is horribly one dimensional. There is no plan B (apart from the chicken dance!)
It will be interesting to see if the change of trainer has helped.
I think not.
Opinions anyone??

Kelvinj3

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:33 pm

He needs to establish a semi decent jab. He has it in his arsenal as shown against Kotelnic (a fight which he doesn't get credit for seeing as Kot gave Alexander fits and Khan schooled him). Plus often enough he seems to want to be a taller Pac.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:48 pm

azania wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

I know, I read it mate.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 01 Nov 2012, 9:59 pm

It was a sick joke and I regret it but there was no malice behind it but Khan gets on my wick.

We all know Roach has parkinsons and commend him for his determination, but why bring it up as a direct or in direct excuse???

Khan should not mention it at all he is to blame for his losses.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 01 Nov 2012, 10:01 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:It was a sick joke and I regret it but there was no malice behind it but Khan gets on my wick.

We all know Roach has parkinsons and commend him for his determination, but why bring it up as a direct or in direct excuse???

Khan should not mention it at all he is to blame for his losses.

Are you stupid or something?

"Hey guys I didn't say @FreddieRoach is a bad trainer, he's 1 of the best out there and took my career to a high winning 2 world titles," Khan said.

"I blame myself for the losses in my career. Not blaming @FreddieRoach or anyone. I just needed a change."

What does that say?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 10:08 pm

To be honest, I have to wonder if these comments would even have been deemed "controversial" in the first place had someone other than Khan made them.

I'm struggling to see what the big problem is. Khan isn't making fun on Roach's condition, and nor has he attributed his defeats to any shortcomings on Roach's part. If fighters like Jones Jr and Whitaker can change trainers mid-career without being labelled as selfish, deluded, in denial etc then why can't that same courtesy be extended to Khan?

Roach's condition will make training harder and harder for him. I can't believe anyone would actually get their knickers in a twist in the face of someone innocently pointing this out.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 01 Nov 2012, 10:09 pm

Think Hatton got a much more sympathetic response when he flat out said Graham couldn't handle full training. Surprisedd dee werent in on this

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 11:58 pm

To be fair Freddy Roach has not really been winning allot of fights recently and while he has been one of if not the best trainer of this generation he is ill and I think it is telling more so ... So it may well effect his work, that's not an insult. All credit to the guy for the work he has done through his Parkinsons illness but there may well come a time where it takes it toll and could need to bring help in and make changes to allow him more time..so on...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBoy66 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 12:33 am

88Chris05 wrote:To be honest, I have to wonder if these comments would even have been deemed "controversial" in the first place had someone other than Khan made them.

I'm struggling to see what the big problem is. Khan isn't making fun on Roach's condition, and nor has he attributed his defeats to any shortcomings on Roach's part. If fighters like Jones Jr and Whitaker can change trainers mid-career without being labelled as selfish, deluded, in denial etc then why can't that same courtesy be extended to Khan?

Roach's condition will make training harder and harder for him. I can't believe anyone would actually get their knickers in a twist in the face of someone innocently pointing this out.

Well said Chris, I see absolutely nothing wrong in this and had it not been Khan it would have gone pretty much unnoticed.

Khan had mentioned on a couple of occasions, before he left Roach and before his last two defeats, that he needed someone, in his corner that would be working with him 100% and not just on fight night.

His brother has been getting a hard time on these boards and the poor kid hasn't even had a pro fight yet. He got a hard time when he represented Pakistan at the commonwealth games, but I'm sure this was pretty much down to him being the younger brother of Amir.

He wasn't selected to fight for England, yet he had the opportunity to go there and represent Pakistan, if I was him I know what I'd do. Just to rub salt into the wounds he went on to beat Andrew Selby, who as far as I know was selected ahead of him. But as he's the younger brother of Amir he gets slaughtered.

We have Kevin Pieterson playing for England, yet I don't hear too many complaints about his country of birth. But then again we all know he's pretty much our best player. Don't even get me started on the likes of Zola Budd.

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Fri 02 Nov 2012, 1:53 am

Whilst normally not being the biggest fan of Khan, mainly due to silly comments, I cannot see this as being controversial. As many others have said Freddies' decline has been well documented and can clearly be seen in post fight interviews, let alone how this must affect training. Would have to agree that all things Khan can get blown up needlessly.

I'd like to see Khan do well in the ring in the future, I think it will be good for boxing and that you don't need the cherished zero to be a success.

Az, regarding OneTwos comments, he is a despicable little man who has massive issues with Khan and is better off ignored.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 02 Nov 2012, 3:55 am

I have actually wondered about this myself. Although it could be deemed in poor taste I must admit I think Roach has looked pretty bad lately in terms of his condition. It definately appears to have got worse. Roach clearly loves boxing so its going to be hard for him to ever quit it but I do wonder how long he has left as a top trainer.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:38 am

As a man he seems to have even more flaws than he has as a fighter and comes across as a sniveling little weasel always looking to make excuses and lay the blame towards others for his losses, sadly for him apart from the odd person on here who cant see through him due to a severe case of hero worship blindness most of us are bored of his over hyped nonsense.
Oh and if that foxy little bird of his in US gets enough of him taking the mick out of her, i am available to put the smile back on her face Smile

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:48 am

I don't see what the problem is. Roach does seem to be getting worse with the illness so obviously Khan should have left.

And being behind that idiot Chavez jr in the pecking order would make anyone consider walking out.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:53 am

Seems a reasonable and measured enough post there, Hogey....
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:12 am

hogey wrote:As a man he seems to have even more flaws than he has as a fighter and comes across as a sniveling little weasel always looking to make excuses and lay the blame towards others for his losses, sadly for him apart from the odd person on here who cant see through him due to a severe case of hero worship blindness most of us are bored of his over hyped nonsense.
Oh and if that foxy little bird of his in US gets enough of him taking the mick out of her, i am available to put the smile back on her face Smile

Did you not read the quote above? He takes the blame for his losses. What irks me is the totally unhinged level of criticism levelled at Khan for little to no reason. Yes he talks a lot of carp and believes he is better than he actually is. But show me a boxer who knows his level then I'll point you to a contender.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:15 am

laughing
88Chris05 wrote:Seems a reasonable and measured enough post there, Hogey....

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:17 am

Even if Khan thought Roach was slowing him down due to his illness he shouldn't have come out and said it. Why? Well it just sounds like he's passing the buck on for his losses.

The more PR measured approach would've been "I feel I just need a change, I learnt a load under Freddie but it's good to keep things fresh and just feel it's time to move on. Loved every minute working with a legend of the sport and wish him all the best for the future".

Damn, I should be his manager. Pass me the phone.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:18 am

coxy0001 wrote:Even if Khan thought Roach was slowing him down due to his illness he shouldn't have come out and said it. Why? Well it just sounds like he's passing the buck on for his losses.

The more PR measured approach would've been "I feel I just need a change, I learnt a load under Freddie but it's good to keep things fresh and just feel it's time to move on. Loved every minute working with a legend of the sport and wish him all the best for the future".

He wants someone who can give him 100%. Not sure you'll be able to do that whilst on PGA Tour and running the country.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:25 am

coxy0001 wrote:Even if Khan thought Roach was slowing him down due to his illness he shouldn't have come out and said it. Why? Well it just sounds like he's passing the buck on for his losses.

Errr, that's what he said.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:25 am

seanmichaels wrote:

He wants someone who can give him 100%. Not sure you'll be able to do that whilst on PGA Tour and running the country.

Currently sat by the phone day in day out waiting for Alistair Cook to call me at present.

Get it right.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:27 am

When Hatton mentioned the illness of his former coach people were more understanding. When Khan does the same, he's criticised. Strange world.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:28 am

You don't strike me as an overly-PC kind of bloke, Coxy, so why you'd want Khan to sugar coat it like that is beyond me.

Khan was naturally asked why he's decided to switch trainers and gave an honest answer. Plenty of posters here on v2 have openly said that Roach's condition is visibly worsening and that, quite understandably, this will make his duties as a trainer more difficult. Nobody here was derided as being disrespectful or "passing the buck" for Khan's defeat, were they?

In past years, if people were just happy to point out that Khan is / was perhaps a touch conceited and sometimes lets his mouth operate ten seconds in front of his brain, I'd let it slide. But when I see posts like yours above, or Hogey's calling him a "weasel looking to make excuses" for his defeats (despite him categorically saying he blames nobody but himself), it just makes me think that, before you've even read the article or listened to Khan's side of things, you've just automatically decided that, no matter what the circumstances, you'll just be critical of him anyway.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:53 am

I haven't read the above comments but there nothing wrong in someone wanting to change trainers because an illness is affecting them.

Whether it's true or not and ignoring the fact if Khan's backtracked on his comments I can't see how this is bad in any possible way???

I completely agree with Azania that Hatton said no 'worse' and deemed fine.

I'm not Khan's biggest fan at all and think he says stupid things but people are desparate to point out any slight fault and seems desperate.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 02 Nov 2012, 11:11 am

I actually thought when Freddie brought moorer into his training team a few years back that it was an acknowledgment that Freddie wasn't up to pad work. I thought Freddie would take a step back and and be head trainer in an advisory role, much the same as the other greats in later years, arcel, futch, etc. But moorer didn't work out, and Freddies not getting any younger, and his body seems to be breaking down.
I don't have a problem with what khan said , and I think his apology is very respectful.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 02 Nov 2012, 11:29 am

jimdig wrote:I actually thought when Freddie brought moorer into his training team a few years back that it was an acknowledgment that Freddie wasn't up to pad work. I thought Freddie would take a step back and and be head trainer in an advisory role, much the same as the other greats in later years, arcel, futch, etc. But moorer didn't work out, and Freddies not getting any younger, and his body seems to be breaking down.
I don't have a problem with what khan said , and I think his apology is very respectful.

Wasn't the reason for Moorer's departure due to him trying to evict one of Manny's hangers-on and Manny demand he was kicked out? I'm sure it might have been said on a 24/7?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Nov 2012, 11:32 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:
jimdig wrote:I actually thought when Freddie brought moorer into his training team a few years back that it was an acknowledgment that Freddie wasn't up to pad work. I thought Freddie would take a step back and and be head trainer in an advisory role, much the same as the other greats in later years, arcel, futch, etc. But moorer didn't work out, and Freddies not getting any younger, and his body seems to be breaking down.

Wasn't the reason for Moorer's departure due to him trying to evict one of Manny's hangers-on and Manny demand he was kicked out? I'm sure it might have been said on a 24/7?

Just imagine if you know who had demanded that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 02 Nov 2012, 11:44 am

I think Khan has just personally excepted what we have known for a while now and that is he is not as good as he thinks and his chin is a problem he can't fix.

Recently Khan has really let himself go. Clubbing almost every night, hanging out of shady woman, cheating on his girlfriend, drinking and smoking. Khan it seems to me has realised that he is not good enough for elite level. His team seem to just want the money and the hunger has gone its always the same when fighters loose focus.

Beginning of the end.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Nov 2012, 11:51 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I think Khan has just personally excepted what we have known for a while now and that is he is not as good as he thinks and his chin is a problem he can't fix.

Recently Khan has really let himself go. Clubbing almost every night, hanging out of shady woman, cheating on his girlfriend, drinking and smoking. Khan it seems to me has realised that he is not good enough for elite level. His team seem to just want the money and the hunger has gone its always the same when fighters loose focus.

Beginning of the end.

Good grief. A boxer seen out clubbing and shagging other women. Whatever next?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 11:58 am

azania wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I think Khan has just personally excepted what we have known for a while now and that is he is not as good as he thinks and his chin is a problem he can't fix.

Beginning of the end.

Could end up like Valero?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 02 Nov 2012, 12:01 pm

He seems to have lost his hunger. Only in it for the money

I will give you an example.

Before Khan lost to Peterson and Garcia he proclaimed himself the KING and the best boxer in the division. After he lost he states that he is the exciting fighter everyone loves because he wins or gets sparked out.

Funny how he has flip flopped on his persona as a fighter.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Nov 2012, 12:01 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
azania wrote:

Beginning of the end.

A step up from ending up like you then.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Nov 2012, 12:03 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:He seems to have lost his hunger. Only in it for the money

I will give you an example.

Before Khan lost to Peterson and Garcia he proclaimed himself the KING and the best boxer in the division. After he lost he states that he is the exciting fighter everyone loves because he wins or gets sparked out.

Funny how he has flip flopped on his persona as a fighter.

A boxer in the sport for the money. Whatever next?

And a world champion claiming to be the best in his division. Nope, never heard that before either. Neither have I heard of a pro boxer bigging himself up. Only Khan has ever done that.

Perhaps his flip flop is a sign of maturity. Nah. Can't be that.

Mate, you're a fool. Sorry to be so blunt.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 02 Nov 2012, 12:06 pm

Other fighters have blown their own trumpet but they have backed it up.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Nov 2012, 12:08 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Other fighters have blown their own trumpet but they have backed it up.

Yep. No fighter who has blown their own trumpet has ever lost. Only Khan has lost after blowing his own trumpet. Keep digging.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 12:09 pm

azania wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:
azania wrote:

Beginning of the end.

Quiet now Hamza.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 12:11 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Other fighters have blown their own trumpet but they have backed it up.

Aye, and plenty of other fighters have blown their trumpet more than Khan but backed it up a lot less than he has.

Shouldn't they be the target of your fury, if that's what annoys you so much?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 02 Nov 2012, 12:12 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
azania wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:
azania wrote:

Beginning of the end.

Quiet now Hamza.

OK GW Bush.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down