The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabo PRO12 (Round 7): Ulster (away) v Dragons at Rodney Parade Friday 26th October

+30
doctornickolas
Pot Hale
sheephead
glamorganalun
LeinsterFan4life
asoreleftshoulder
Morgannwg
thebluesmancometh
maestegmafia
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Rory_Gallagher
Don Alfonso
Stone Motif
youngguns6
WillyGilly
Jenifer McLadyboy
The Great Aukster
red_stag
Cari
Standulstermen
Artful_Dodger
MrsP
Notch
bedfordwelsh
Kingshu
rodders
SecretFly
clivemcl
Luckless Pedestrian
Rava
34 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Rabo PRO12 (Round 7): Ulster (away) v Dragons at Rodney Parade Friday 26th October - Page 3 Empty Rabo PRO12 (Round 7): Ulster (away) v Dragons at Rodney Parade Friday 26th October

Post by Rava Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

Roger Wilson and Declan Fitzpatrick have been named in the extended Ulster squad for Friday's RaboDirect PRO12 game against Dragons at Rodney Parade (kick off 7.05pm).

It is the first time Wilson has been named in a preliminary squad since his return to Ulster, having suffered a hamstring tear playing for Northampton Saints at the end of last season. The number 8 has enjoyed impressive outings for the Ravens in recent weeks and scored two tries in Sunday’s loss to Bristol.
Fitzpatrick had suffered a reoccurrence of a medial ligament injury prior to the Connacht match earlier this month but has undertaken full training over the past week and will be hopeful of getting much needed game time.

Stephen Ferris has been included after missing the last two games with a back injury, while flyhalf Niall O’Connor has also been added to the panel.

Johann Muller has been ruled out for eight weeks after sustaining a thumb injury in Friday’s Heineken Cup win over Glasgow. Ireland international back row Chris Henry will captain the side in Muller’s absence.

Ulster continue to set the pace at the top of the PRO12 table, and still possess a 100% winning record in all competitions this season. The Ulstermen have won five of their last six fixtures with Welsh regions and have been victorious on their two visits to Wales so far this campaign.

Dragons’ only win in their last seven matches in all competitions was 32-12 at home to Edinburgh in round five of the league. The Welsh outfit have an even worse record against Irish provinces, winning just one of their last 14 encounters. That success did come over Ulster though, just over 12 months ago when they registered a 22-9 win at Rodney Parade. The Ulstermen have managed only one victory at Rodney Parade since 2006.

ULSTER SQUAD TO FACE DRAGONS, RABODIRECT PRO12, FRI 26TH OCTOBER, RODNEY PARADE (7.05PM):

FORWARDS (15):

Rory Best, Nigel Brady, Tom Court, Callum Black, Declan Fitzpatrick, Adam Macklin, John Afoa, Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy, Iain Henderson, Stephen Ferris, Mike McComish, Chris Henry (capt), Nick Williams, Roger Wilson.

BACKS (11):

Paul Marshall, Ruan Pienaar, Niall O’Connor, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Luke Marshall, Darren Cave, Andrew Trimble, Tommy Bowe, Craig Gilroy, Jared Payne.

Dragons team to face Ulster:

Tom Prydie, Will Harries, Adam Hughes, Andy Tuilagi, Tonderai Chavhanga, Lewis Robling, Jonathan Evans, Owen Evans, Steve Jones (c), Nathan Buck, Adam Jones, Rob Sidoli, Tom Brown, Jevon Groves, Toby Faletau.

Replacements;
Sam Parry, Nathan Williams, Dan Way, Ian Nimmo, Nic Cudd, Liam Davies, Steffan Jones, Pat Leach.

Last edited by Rava on Fri 26 Oct 2012, 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Dragons team added)
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Rabo PRO12 (Round 7): Ulster (away) v Dragons at Rodney Parade Friday 26th October - Page 3 Empty Re: Rabo PRO12 (Round 7): Ulster (away) v Dragons at Rodney Parade Friday 26th October

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 25 Oct 2012, 1:26 pm

Notch wrote:We should have had the in-form Jennings as cover instead of a whole bunch of 6s.

If you're not careful you'll end up with a satanic back row.

Still no announcement from the Dragons.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Rabo PRO12 (Round 7): Ulster (away) v Dragons at Rodney Parade Friday 26th October - Page 3 Empty Re: Rabo PRO12 (Round 7): Ulster (away) v Dragons at Rodney Parade Friday 26th October

Post by Standulstermen Thu 25 Oct 2012, 3:45 pm

Would be disappointed if we don't come away with a TBP from this one. Apologies to dragons fans. No disrespect intended.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 25 Oct 2012, 5:28 pm

Well, putting To-Bo at fullback is an interesting move...am a leeetle bit dubioud about his kicking ability, but he has the other skills to be a 15, so we'll see. I must remember where to look though and not get my numbers confused...I'll just have to watch very carefully... Whistle

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 25 Oct 2012, 8:32 pm

Dragons team to face Ulster:

Tom Prydie, Will Harries, Adam Hughes, Andy Tuilagi, Tonderai Chavhanga, Lewis Robling, Jonathan Evans, Owen Evans, Steve Jones (c), Nathan Buck, Adam Jones, Rob Sidoli, Tom Brown, Jevon Groves, Toby Faletau.

Replacements;
Sam Parry, Nathan Williams, Dan Way, Ian Nimmo, Nic Cudd, Liam Davies, Steffan Jones, Pat Leach.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Thu 25 Oct 2012, 10:07 pm

Decent side, I prefer Steffan at 10 but Lewis deserves the chance he's getting.
Can't really argue with the rest although I do worrie we don't have an out n out 7.
I think we will win tbh. We really really need this and although Ulster are the in form team I can see us sneeking this.

Also... Jonny Evans - i can't believe he wasn't called up for Wales. At just 20years old he's the inform 9 in Wales.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Oct 2012, 12:43 am

Standulstermen wrote:Would be disappointed if we don't come away with a TBP from this one. Apologies to dragons fans. No disrespect intended.

Yeah sure, no disrespect. I know Ulster will do it now I've picked you and Rodders (elsewhere) up on it, but have some respect for your opposition. You're not at Ravenhill.

Nothing worse than arrogance like that. I wouldn't even class Zebre away as a bonus point opportunity if my team was successful in the Rabo.

I can accept an Ulster fan saying you will win tomorrow, but a BP talk is massively disrespectful, no matter how you dress it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 26 Oct 2012, 1:24 am

We've had two bonus point wins this season, one of them we had to wait until the 82nd minute and scored off a lucky turnover. The other one we attacked very well. The other games we didn't exactly attack well so I don't understand how folk are taking for granted we're going to be running in the tries away from home at a ground we've traditionally struggled at.

I believe we're capable of getting a bonus point if everything goes right. It's certainly possible. I believe the team will go out there and attack them and I'm hoping to see the pieces of the puzzle come together. We all know Ulster have been winning but haven't put in an 80 minute performance or shown their full capabilities. But we're really getting ahead of ourselves if we're taking games like this for granted, we've lost the run of ourselves. How many teams have taken 5 points from Dave Parade in the last few seasons? It's not going to be a walkover like some people seem to think.

I personally hope we get to attack them through our scrum and our rolling maul, I think we've got a pack that can hurt them there. If we can gain the ascendancy there I think we'll win.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Oct 2012, 3:46 am

Good post Notch. You will inevitably have the upper hand in the scrum, but I hate people forecasting BP wins at RP. We aren't a good team, but we don't roll over at home at least. Ulster win, of course. Predicting an Ulster WBP is arrogance. Even if you get it, I'm disappointed people can discount a team at home in our league.

Perhaps some Ulster supporters are setting themselves up for a fall at some point. Somebody is going to embarrass you soon. I absolutely detest people disrespecting teams without due cause. Justify why you should get a WBP then lads.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:47 am

youngguns6 wrote:I prefer Steffan at 10 but Lewis deserves the chance he's getting.

I'd probably opt for Steffan at 10 too, but I was really impressed with Lewis's break-making against Bayonne. If he can make more of those breaks, i.e. not forcing the pass or losing the ball forward, then that's a real weapon for us to have. It means the opposition defence are kept honest and can't just focus on Tuilagi, which in turn means he might have more success when he does take the ball up.

Ulster's pack is some pack, though. We'll have our work cut out to contain them there.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 26 Oct 2012, 8:17 am

I'm not sure what Steffan brings to the Dragons anymore bar drop goals, and we're rarely organised enough to get us in the right positions to kick those lately. On the last showing Lewis is way ahead in the pecking order. Stef's spent too long behind a dominant pack in the Prem to know what to do when he's trying to orchestrate our lot. Much as it pains me to say it, he'd have been better off at the O's, which is where he'll probably end up anyway. We need a creative 10.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 26 Oct 2012, 8:22 am

Well he's scored at least a couple of tries this season too.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 26 Oct 2012, 8:53 am

How many has he orchestrated for his team mates?

We aren't going to catch the Blues relying on sucker-punches and lucky counter-attacks, we need a fly half who can put our runners in holes.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 26 Oct 2012, 8:55 am

Yeah I'd agree BP win is going to far, some fans are getting carried away.

Dragons aim this season was to make RP a very tough place to visit again. By beating the League leaders at RP they send out a strong message to fans and other teams that RP is a tough place to visit. They will be fired up to win this.
Being the first team to beat Ulster this season will also make the Dragons look better.

Basically as I see it if Dragons are wanting to get fans back to RP, they want to prove to the fans that they are coming to see a team that can beat the best at home. This means getting a win or two against Ulster, Leinster and in Derbies, and really not conceding BP's against any.

They can fill RP better with a team that can beat the big teams but slip up away to likes of Zebre, at least fans have hope of seeing a big scalp being taken at RP, and this is the first step in being crowds back in.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 26 Oct 2012, 9:23 am

Risca Rev wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:Would be disappointed if we don't come away with a TBP from this one. Apologies to dragons fans. No disrespect intended.

Yeah sure, no disrespect. I know Ulster will do it now I've picked you and Rodders (elsewhere) up on it, but have some respect for your opposition. You're not at Ravenhill.

Hi Rev.... look I can only speak for myself here, not the standster...

What I meant before is that 5 points here is the desired outcome. I don't think there is any point being cagey or sheepish about the aspirations of this team. Ulster have been building for a number of seasons now, have spent big and recruited well on top of the lads already here. As a title chasing side, and I believe we are, I want maximum points and believe that is not unrealistic.

That said, when I say 5 points is the desired outcome, I don't mean that is the most likely one, or even my expected one. I do respect the Dragons and know how hard it is to win away at any of the Welsh regions.

I will be a happy camper if we just get a win and know there is every possibility that we will get nothing at all here.

Sorry if my comments came across as disrespectful. I haven't forgotten the dark days at Ravenhill(feic they were only a few seasons ago) and don't take winning any game for granted guinness .

SUFTUM.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 26 Oct 2012, 10:01 am

Sorry but if I was ulster coach and I had players like Bowe, trimble, Pienaar, wallace, williams etc in my starting team with the likes of Afoa, Payne etc to come in, I would have this one marked down as a five pointer.

Dragons are always tricky at home (and have been at ravenhill too) but ulster are top and undefeated and the dragons 2nd bottom. Don't get me wrong if the players aren't switched on they could well come a cropper but they haven't shown that this season yet so I don't think it is massively disrespectful to target 5 points. I also don't get the arrogance comment. Of course we will be beaten soon, perhaps even tonight but it isn't expected. As you say teams have targeted zebre games since they joined as Aironi as 5 pointers without accusations of arrogance so don't get precious when it's your team.

It would be good for the league (and the dragons) for a home win but to suggest ulster should be targeting 5 isnt so far fetched as to be fantastical so I wouldnt be so bloody sensitive.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 26 Oct 2012, 10:08 am

Stand between you and me mate I have the Leinster game on the 21st down as a 5 pointer so I wasn't singling the Dragons out as an easy one Wink..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 26 Oct 2012, 11:15 am

rodders wrote:Stand between you and me mate I have the Leinster game on the 21st down as a 5 pointer so I wasn't singling the Dragons out as an easy one Wink..... Whistle
cool. I'll be up to get the benefit of being underdogs so.
I would like Ulster to be unbeaten still at that stage. and Leinster to be fresh from the back to back wins over Clermont that no one believes we can do.

both teams to put their best teams out.........

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 26 Oct 2012, 11:21 am

Jen Wink OK

Only messing pal, I'd be happy with 4points in that one too... Smile .... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Fri 26 Oct 2012, 11:40 am

Steffan offers a lot for the dragons. He's taken a few try's well and he does create for others. If you watch his dragons games he's very skillful with the ball. He's a lot more than a drop goal expert.
It's not his fault were rubbish!

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 26 Oct 2012, 11:56 am

rodders wrote:Stand between you and me mate I have the Leinster game on the 21st down as a 5 pointer so I wasn't singling the Dragons out as an easy one Wink..... Whistle

Any kind of win against Leinster and I will be chuffed

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 26 Oct 2012, 1:07 pm

Risca Rev wrote:

Nothing worse than arrogance like that. I wouldn't even class Zebre away as a bonus point opportunity if my team was successful in the Rabo.

I can accept an Ulster fan saying you will win tomorrow, but a BP talk is massively disrespectful, no matter how you dress it up.

In other words, “how dare you have that opinion”.

An honest opinion, offered without hubris or running down the Dragons. No sneering or belittling. An explicit apology for any offense offered within the post. That’s arrogance? I think he’s wrong – I would hope for a win, but a TBP seriously underestimates the Dragons. But people, including Stand, have a different take on it. The only complaint you can have about that post is with the accuracy of the prediction.

If you honestly thought the Dragons would get a TBP in a particular game, how would you express that in a more polite, even-handed way?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 26 Oct 2012, 1:22 pm

Rev - you can skirt around it as much as you want, but there are certain teams you would rather play against than others, and expect to win more comfortably. You can keep it to yourself and pretend you wouldn't class Zebre as a comfortable win, but you clearly would be thinking it. I do not agree with Stand either anout the BP, but that is just how he sees it. The Dragons are not a great team right now.

I think it is a bit ridiculous to suggest "there is nothing worse". It is still just a game at the end of the day.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 26 Oct 2012, 1:38 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
I think it is a bit ridiculous to suggest "there is nothing worse". It is still just a game at the end of the day.
That phrase always makes me laugh. There's always something worse no matter what has happened. Barring your whole family being butchered in front of you before you are slowly tortured to death. (Sounds a bit like a few games I've seen in fairness)

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 26 Oct 2012, 1:50 pm

I actually don't see the issue. Stand thinks we are good enough to go away, get the win and have enough firepower to get 4 tries in the process. I do too.

That doesn't mean I don't respect the Dragons, if we loose then I'll be disappointed but not shocked. The Dragons are well capable of turning us over for sure, however we've very recruited well, are in good form, are building momentum and expectations naturally rise with that.

I will be very happy with a win of any kind but I don't think that hoping for a good attacking perfromances and getting a bonus point is unrealistic.

The Dragons will come to win, and to play rugby, and that creates the opportunity to score tries as well as a threat of conceding them.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 26 Oct 2012, 3:19 pm

I think there is a world of difference between accepting that team A should beat team B on paper.

That isn't the same as assuming that will happen.

There will always be matches that any team feel they ought to win and some that they feel they will be lucky to get much from. When a team is going well the ratio of those categories will change. There are also matches that it hurts much more to loose than others. I know for me last season losing to Treviso at Ravenhill hurt a lot more than the loss to Leinster. Is that arrogance or just an honest assessment of where those teams were last season?

The Dragons have a fantastic record at Dave Parade and I think we will be very pleased with ourselves if we come away from there with anything. Many's a time we have left empty handed no matter what the form guide has said!

I think we have managed 4 whole points at Dave Parade in the past 5 years.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 26 Oct 2012, 3:36 pm

I think we're all hoping that this Ulster team will do better over there.

We know we have the team to win this game. I personally think Tom Court is going to be the key man. If he gets Nathan Buck twisted up and Dragons are getting pinged at the scrums, it's going to be a really long evening for them.

I hope we do choose to go after the tries. Our rolling maul was a serious weapon for us on a filthy Glasgow night and I would love to see us bringing the driven lineout into play at the first opportunity.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 26 Oct 2012, 4:25 pm

Sorry, if we want to be champions then we have to target bonus points against the weaker sides. The Dragons are a weaker side, therefore this is a match where we should target bonus points. I hope we do it, but they are no mugs that's for sure with a good record at home. I would take a one point victory thanks. The next 6-8 weeks are crucial for us and it will define our season. Back to back matches with Northampton and difficult fixtures in the Rabo. This time last season the wheels came off and cost us a playoff place. We need 100% commitment and effort and if we play to our best I see no reason why a bonus point isn't achievable.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 26 Oct 2012, 4:32 pm

I believe it is achievable for sure.

I just think we're gonna need to win the game first. I'm very aware that this is one of our bogey teams we're talking about. They'll believe they can beat us.

Put it like this. I wouldn't be surprised if we won comfortably, BP or not. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Dragons pulled out a big performance nobody saw coming and it was nip and tuck until the end. Formbook says we've been winning but struggling to consistently break down defences.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:00 pm

Anyone watching this? Once that awful Strictly programme's finished.... Rolling Eyes Come on Beeb, show us the REAL talent.

music Oh Tommy Boy, my pipes are calling... music

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:09 pm

Shoite!!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:10 pm

Excellent long range penalty kick by Prydie. 3 - 0.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:12 pm

Oh, wobbly start for Tommy, but thankfully Ulster get out of that jam.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:17 pm

Good run by Harries takes the Dragons within metres of a try...but they get a penalty, and they're going for the posts.

6 - 0 after 10 minutes.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:18 pm

The fix is in!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:18 pm

That seemed a very poor decision against Henry there, but an excellent break there from the Dragons. Some weak defence though. They are exposing a few weak points in the defensive line.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:20 pm

Switch those floodlights on! We can't see their players in the dark!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:23 pm

rodders wrote:Switch those floodlights on! We can't see their players in the dark!

They can't afford the electricity...the players have to use their sense of smell.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:25 pm

Good chance for Ulster here...set up by Tommy of course Whistle

Court is in despite protests of a forward pass, but it wasn't.

6 - 7

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:27 pm

Looked forward from Pienaar but why split hairs about these things! Yahoo

Jeebus Neilly's commentary is ahead of the pictures!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:28 pm

Prydie is looking good.

by the way Scarlets fans the match you want to see is on BBC Alba in five minutes

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:28 pm

Prydie takes another penalty, but it goes wide luckily for Ulster. They need to watch the penalty count...

6 - 7 after 19 minutes.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:30 pm

What's Court shushing the fans all about then?

Pienaar misses his penalty kick attempt.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:32 pm

Pienaars pass was half a yard forward off his own shoulder.

Ulsters breakdown work is deadly, especially the way they walk into the back of each ruck without getting pinged.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:33 pm

Christ shocking from Bowe and Marshall there, come on lads sort it out!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:35 pm

Oi! Don't blame Tommy...he's in the wrong shirt!! Wink

Jeebs! Pienaar misses a second penalty attempt!

6 - 7 after 26 minutes.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:38 pm

Oh dear. Tuilangi is in for the Dragons. Good try.

13 - 7 after 29 minutes.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:38 pm

Great narrow defence by Ulster, leave the tackler compete and keep numbers in the line.

Shame when it went wide Pienaar and Best tried to tackle Tuilagi with their eyes closed!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:39 pm

Pienaar is having a terrible match so far. Another tackle missed. Who would have thought at the end of the last season we'd use the words 'we miss Paddy Jackson'?

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:39 pm

Obstruction there on Best but terrible attempt by Pienaar. Try was coming. Awful stuff from Ulster so far.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 26 Oct 2012, 7:40 pm

Absolutely moronic, If an U14's team took it back in and punted dead I'd be upset, but a fully pro outfit?!?!?!!??!!?!?!?!

That is one of my biggest bug bears!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next