The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virgil Hunter + Andre Ward

+16
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
fearlessBamber
ShahenshahG
Rowley
Gordy
Lumbering_Jack
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
paperbag_puncher
John Bloody Wayne
azania
Valero's Conscience
Super D Boon
Boxtthis
Seanusarrilius
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Virgil Hunter + Andre Ward - Page 2 Empty Virgil Hunter + Andre Ward

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 04 Sep 2012, 2:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

I haven't always liked Ward, but I have always respected his talent.

However, bug bears keep on coming to me with these two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkDLY75Z55A&feature=related

I respect they are a great team, but isn't it enough they have:

a) got the fight in Oakland, and
b) at 168

Why does Hunter always have to try and get in the other fighters head?

Messed around with Kessler, Abraham and Froch

Now this.

I honestly wouldn't mind if Chad gave him a slap.

Also, anyone got link to the 24/7 for these two?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Virgil Hunter + Andre Ward - Page 2 Empty Re: Virgil Hunter + Andre Ward

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 05 Sep 2012, 6:17 pm

True boxthis - but they are heavies and they can all hit like a mule - its just everyone else is just as big and can absorb a lot of punishment. Calzaghe has been knocked down by a couple of decent supermids and no matter how poor the heavy division is how can a guy who cant punch hard because his hands might break at supermid - even hope to keep valuev off of him. All the heavy has to do is throw at the body because he doesnt have to worry about anything coming in. At least with Jones jr, you had a substantial sting to contend - what does calzaghe have to hurt a modern heavy?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:01 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:True boxthis - but they are heavies and they can all hit like a mule - its just everyone else is just as big and can absorb a lot of punishment. Calzaghe has been knocked down by a couple of decent supermids and no matter how poor the heavy division is how can a guy who cant punch hard because his hands might break at supermid - even hope to keep valuev off of him. All the heavy has to do is throw at the body because he doesnt have to worry about anything coming in. At least with Jones jr, you had a substantial sting to contend - what does calzaghe have to hurt a modern heavy?

Calzaghe has amazing footwork and agility. Valuev? Are you for real? He is probably the slowest boxer I have ever seen. He would not get near Calzaghe to lay a glove on him. Calzaghe would box rings around that useless lump. He might not knock him out but he would box him silly.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:29 pm

Roy Jones Jr managed to beat a heavyweight (a fairly average one), but he was more elusive and faster than calzaghe. Calzaghe liked to get really into a fight using his high workrate and toughness to outland his opponents, he also liked to get into a tear up, something that would have to be completely removed from his game.

I he stayed the same weight he would get hurt with every clean shot landed and will be beaten by most heavies. If he bulked up it wouldn't help his stamina thus removing one of the best assets of his game

He only had 2 fights at 175 and was decked both times by 2 faded fighters who weren't knocking anyone of note down at the time.

Anyone who lacks power at 175lbs is in for a world of trouble vs heavyweights

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:41 pm

I don't think Calzaghe could make a dent in to any of the world-ranked Heavyweights, to be honest. I won't even go in to the Klitschkos, as any sensible observer would surely agree that he'd do well to last two or three rounds with either, but seriously, do people really think Calzaghe could compete with Haye? Price? Povetkin? Fury? Mitchell? Helenius? I have my doubts to say the least.

Without wishing to sounds dismissive of Calzaghe, he simply wasn't as good as Jones. No shame at all in that - very few in history have been.

Ruiz was a good style match up for Roy in any case, whereas Calzaghe's style doesn't lend itself anywhere near as well to going up against the 220 lb + men. Calzaghe may have had some success against the blown up Adameks or this world, but that's it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 05 Sep 2012, 8:42 pm

A heavyweight would actually kill Joe.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:00 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I don't think Calzaghe could make a dent in to any of the world-ranked Heavyweights, to be honest. I won't even go in to the Klitschkos, as any sensible observer would surely agree that he'd do well to last two or three rounds with either, but seriously, do people really think Calzaghe could compete with Haye? Price? Povetkin? Fury? Mitchell? Helenius? I have my doubts to say the least.

Without wishing to sounds dismissive of Calzaghe, he simply wasn't as good as Jones. No shame at all in that - very few in history have been.

Ruiz was a good style match up for Roy in any case, whereas Calzaghe's style doesn't lend itself anywhere near as well to going up against the 220 lb + men. Calzaghe may have had some success against the blown up Adameks or this world, but that's it.

I have pointed out to you before your mistake with Jones. He was massively overrated and not a patch on Calzaghe. Since when does getting outclassed by Calzaghe make Jones better than him?? You are way off if you think Calzaghe would not last 3 rounds with a heavyweight. Calzaghe was never knocked out and had a great chin. He was also lightning fast. Far to fast for the current slow and useless heavyweights that are around now. His only weakness would be his power but his speed and ability would more than make up for that. Against top heavyweights like Lewis or Tyson then yes, you would be right but please dont say the ones around now are even in the same planet as those guys!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:19 pm

Gordy wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:I don't think Calzaghe could make a dent in to any of the world-ranked Heavyweights, to be honest. I won't even go in to the Klitschkos, as any sensible observer would surely agree that he'd do well to last two or three rounds with either, but seriously, do people really think Calzaghe could compete with Haye? Price? Povetkin? Fury? Mitchell? Helenius? I have my doubts to say the least.

I have pointed out to you before your mistake with Jones. He was massively overrated and not a patch on Calzaghe. Since when does getting outclassed by Calzaghe make Jones better than him?? You are way off if you think Calzaghe would not last 3 rounds with a heavyweight. Calzaghe was never knocked out and had a great chin. He was also lightning fast. Far to fast for the current slow and useless heavyweights that are around now. His only weakness would be his power but his speed and ability would more than make up for that. Against top heavyweights like Lewis or Tyson then yes, you would be right but please dont say the ones around now are even in the same planet as those guys!

Prime RJJ beats Calzaghe imo pretty handily. Calzaghe fought the ghost of RJJ, and despite RJJ having a weak chin Calzaghe couldn't even deck him. A prime RJJ or close to it managed to beat Ruiz, he said Calzaghe wouldn't last 3 rounds with a K Bro not just an ordinary heavyweight

Calzaghe was never knocked out and had a good chin, but fought supper middleweights, not heavyweights so that comment makes no sense as heavies can weigh anywhere from 200lbs (32lbs heavier than calzaghe's normal opponents) to 260+ so they can hit a lot harder.

Calzaghe was fast but wasn't nearly as fast as Jones or Haye and has far slower reflexes to avoid punishment. Jones made a go at heavyweight as could win fights throwing less than 40 punches a round, Calzaghe had to throw at least 60, playing into the heavyweights arms who could take his shots and give there own

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:19 pm

Gordy wrote:

Ali was totally schooled and outclassed by Berbick. In fact Berbick retired him. Pitched a shut out I believe. And he was younger than Jones when he fought JC. You have Ali as your number 1 dont you?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

Gordy wrote:

Yep he's right Chris. You have been watching too much Sky Sports.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:15 pm

Question for everyone but Gordy...

Why do you all abandon the subject of every thread Gordy touches to relentlessly correct someone you know is wumming?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:26 pm

Probably because by the time he has come in and looked up every 4+ letter word in the dictionary, processed it then replied the thread has fizzled out.

I think because the regulars on here are a fairly small number and we tend to agree on most things it runs out. Its always the contentious issues that go for ages. I imagine if we took out the wum bashing then our actual post count would be considerably smaller.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:35 pm

Ah, so the Gordy bashing is like the icing on the thread. Nice discussion, everyone agrees, now let us play with the village idiot.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:51 pm

Pretty much - I reckon we need chisora to get into another bust up and the fans will come en masse to rail at him

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:55 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Question for everyone but Gordy...

Why do you all abandon the subject of every thread Gordy touches to relentlessly correct someone you know is wumming?

Good question. Its a nonsense argument and I'm sure everyone would agree on that. Sure Calzaghe could beat your average 220 lb plus man in a boxing match but not most professional HWs. I'd even take the likes of Chisora (whos not a puncher) to walk through him and knock him out. Heck even Audley would put him to sleep as soon as he lands the left which he would at some point. Calzaghe does not have the size or power to disuade the vast majority of HWs even today's ones.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 9:27 am

Gordy wrote:

I have pointed out to you before your mistake with Jones. He was massively overrated and not a patch on Calzaghe. Since when does getting outclassed by Calzaghe make Jones better than him??

Then why did your hero, Eubank, run scared from RJJ when at his peak??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:09 am

Gordy wrote:

Gordy, I had a look at some of your early threads on here. The rhetoric is very familiar but you did admit, twice, to not really following the sport.

Gordy wrote:Hi all,

First post here. To start just want to say Im not a big boxing follower so apologies in advance if this question is silly. My question is basically is David Haye the worst ever heavyeight champion?

https://www.606v2.com/t18186-quick-question

Gordy wrote:Hi all,

Is it just me or are British fighters getting completely overhyped these days by Sky Sports and the like? I only follow boxing irregularly but saw the repeat of yet another British fighter - Carl Froch - getting whipped by his American counterpart.

https://www.606v2.com/t20630-british-fighters-hype-on-sky

I'd just like to know how you became such an authority on all things boxing in under a year. It's a serious question. I know very little about boxing myself and just wanted some tips on how to quickly elevate myself to a level where I can spar with 88Chris on here.

Please don't disappoint me Gordy. I couldn't take it if you were just a hype job.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:12 am

Classic, il, the spirit of windy truly lives on in this sterling piece of detective work.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:16 am

Takes a teacher to pwn a child....

Does prove Gordy is a boxing WUM pretty conclusively. Pity, as as I said before he's relatively pleasant and reasoned on other boards.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 06 Sep 2012, 10:19 am

HAHAHA Gordy just got OWNED!!!!!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 12:29 pm

Great work, Il G - you've just earned yourself the freedom of 606v2! Have to confess, I'm actually looking forward to Gordy's retort....

I know, I know - I need help.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 06 Sep 2012, 12:36 pm

azania wrote:
Gordy wrote:

Ali was totally schooled and outclassed by Berbick. In fact Berbick retired him. Pitched a shut out I believe. And he was younger than Jones when he fought JC. You have Ali as your number 1 dont you?

Ha ha Gordy giving Az a taste of his own WUM medicine! Laugh

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 06 Sep 2012, 2:57 pm

rowley wrote:Gordy, if by the Russian ones you are refering to the Klitschko's they are Ukranian, you know this because a) you have a vast and extensive knowledge of the sport and b) you have had it pointed out to you on several occasions.

People who know boxing know that there's no difference between Russia and Ukraine. That's because they're not Wales....where Joe Calzaghe is from. Both countries are the product of a Sky hype job. They are on a different planet from Wales....where Joe Calzaghe is from. There's simply no comparison. That's what people on here don't understand.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 06 Sep 2012, 2:59 pm

I appreciated that. Classic Columbo.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 06 Sep 2012, 5:43 pm

rowley wrote:
Gordy wrote: The russian or ukranian ones dont travel around

Unlike Calzaghe who clocked up air miles in a way that made Judith Chalmers envious.

Ha ha drumroll

I wonder what happened to her. In the 80s she was always on TV sauntering around some hot foreign destination and whatnot. I always thought that for someone with such a great job she looked a right miserable cow.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 06 Sep 2012, 5:48 pm

It's a fair point D, with a job like hers you'd have thought she would never have been able to take the grin off her face.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Sep 2012, 5:53 pm

chamber's job was go on holiday. In order to unwind she would spend a fortnight sewing trainers in a Bangladesh sweatshop

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 19 Sep 2012, 1:00 pm

Just catching up on this, excellent detective work! Well done, Il Gia!

As Rowley says, the spirit of Windy truly lives on!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2