The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virgil Hunter - your thoughts

3 posters

Go down

Virgil Hunter - your thoughts Empty Virgil Hunter - your thoughts

Post by irishbrads Sun 27 Sep 2015, 1:27 pm

I always had this impression for some reason, of Virgil Hunter as being a top trainer, a thinker, a man of few words but highly regarded in the industry..............then i watched the all access for Berto v Mayweather and my impression changed.

In Berto's fight against Jesus Soto Karass, Virgil Hunter sent Berto out to fight despite Berto having apprently 'ripped his shoulder out of his socket' effectively rendering him one armed for most of the fight, Hunter then stated afterwards that that fight showed to him that Berto had guts.  Rather than sending him out to fight with one arm why not save it for another day and save Berto from the TKO, surely the duty of a good trainer and cornerman to show compassion consideriong very few fighters will pull themselves out!!

Then his attitutde towards Berto inbetween rounds against mayweather was anything but encouraging even constantly criticising Berto ringside and between rounds in the corner,  he even grabbed Berto by the neck and scowled "don't look at me like that" type of thing, remember Berto was fighting the best fighter of a generation and doing what everyone before him also failed to do which was to catch mayweather cleanly or pin him down. Berto in my opinion give it his all against Mayweather and i give him credit for at least going for it.

Then came the confirmation for me that Hunter is in fact a bit of an idiot, in the all access show which covers the fight itslef and the after math, Hunter is seen talking to berto's dad after the fight and actually said "if  he  had the intensity of Maidana he would have knocked Maywether out", now thats a pretty ridiculus statements in anyones book, i remember that type of talk in the amateur game where everyone was robbed or would have stopped the opponent if it wasn't for A, B or C, not the type of statement you expect from a world class trainer against the best boxer in the world who has never even been defeated let alone knocked out.

So in summary, the all access shows whilst limited in what you see showed me enough to form an opinion that the guys a bit of an idiot, anyone agree?

Last edited by irishbrads on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Virgil Hunter - your thoughts Empty Re: Virgil Hunter - your thoughts

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 27 Sep 2015, 2:07 pm

It was Berto's last big break probably so I guess he was getting frustrated..

Okay saying that he should have retired Berto against Karass and kept it for another day but Berto had had  other days already.....How many last chances would Berto have ??...Berto was probably as staggered as everyone else to get Floyd..

Think you're perhaps being overly critical.....

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 27 Sep 2015, 2:23 pm

Virgil HUNTER is Berto's trainer.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 27 Sep 2015, 2:26 pm

Cool Shows you how much interest I take in Berto...Won't buy boxnation haven't seen the fight..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Sun 27 Sep 2015, 2:38 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Virgil HUNTER is Berto's trainer.

DO'h now edited Doh

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down