The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virgil Hunter + Andre Ward

+16
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
fearlessBamber
ShahenshahG
Rowley
Gordy
Lumbering_Jack
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
paperbag_puncher
John Bloody Wayne
azania
Valero's Conscience
Super D Boon
Boxtthis
Seanusarrilius
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Virgil Hunter + Andre Ward Empty Virgil Hunter + Andre Ward

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 04 Sep 2012, 2:27 pm

I haven't always liked Ward, but I have always respected his talent.

However, bug bears keep on coming to me with these two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkDLY75Z55A&feature=related

I respect they are a great team, but isn't it enough they have:

a) got the fight in Oakland, and
b) at 168

Why does Hunter always have to try and get in the other fighters head?

Messed around with Kessler, Abraham and Froch

Now this.

I honestly wouldn't mind if Chad gave him a slap.

Also, anyone got link to the 24/7 for these two?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Virgil Hunter + Andre Ward Empty Re: Virgil Hunter + Andre Ward

Post by Boxtthis Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:07 pm

Disliked Virgil Hunter after his performance on the Froch vs Ward Fightcamp 360. I can't stand his style of 'getting in to people's heads' that he uses here i.e. where no actual intelligence is used but, rather, he just annoyingly repeats the same thing over and over again while other people are trying to talk. It's the equivalent of just going "La la la la la" over the top of someone else - it's bound to 'get in your head'......in the way that a 4 year old child can 'get in your head'

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:11 pm

Probably Ward is using PEDs anyway. The association with Victor Conte is highly dubious.

Why must they use this guy? In all of the state of California there isn't another decent pharmacist who knows a bit about sports nutrition?

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:37 pm

It's crazy that Conte can get a job with any well known sports star!

Surely his past is bad enough PR but I guess 'if' you wanted to take something he's the best one to go to!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 04 Sep 2012, 6:46 pm

Super D Boon wrote:Probably Ward is using PEDs anyway. The association with Victor Conte is highly dubious.

Why must they use this guy? In all of the state of California there isn't another decent pharmacist who knows a bit about sports nutrition?

Hang on. On the other thread we have guys quoting Conte for being anti drugs. Now you are accusing him as a PED merchant.

I reckon Ward is 100% clean.

Great fighter but my God, what a boring person. All this God stuff then fathering kids everywhere. Hope he gets a slap also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:42 pm

A special needs fight. Ward with those downsy eyes and Dawson, completely socially unaware of what's going on.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:40 am

azania wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:Probably Ward is using PEDs anyway. The association with Victor Conte is highly dubious.

Hang on. On the other thread we have guys quoting Conte for being anti drugs. Now you are accusing him as a PED merchant.

Great fighter but my God, what a boring person. All this God stuff then fathering kids everywhere. Hope he gets a slap also.

I doubt he's using PEDs in fairness but why Conte??

California is a huge state. There must be some highly qualified sports nutritionists in San Francisco, LA, Oakland, San Jose, San Diego. "No I'm just gonna pick this guy with a terrible reputation!!!" WTF. There's somthing wrong in that.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 05 Sep 2012, 7:00 am

Seanusarrilius wrote:

Also, anyone got link to the 24/7 for these two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DqiKPpGP6Y&feature=player_embedded

That Hunter chap is one strange fish..

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 05 Sep 2012, 10:45 am

"Great fighter but my God, what a boring person. All this God stuff then fathering kids everywhere. Hope he gets a slap also."

Agree 100% with this, everytime Ward is on TV he always looks so sad. As if a family member died.

I don't know if its the shape of his face that does this or if he genuinley is sad about something.

Thats why I never get into all this religion guff, anyone who talks about it either seems sad or angry.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:37 am

.....and the nickname: Son of God - what's that all about?

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 11:49 am

one of the worst boxing nicknames/alias' ever.

Even 'Mr Potato Head' would be better than SOG.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:03 pm

SOB would be funny

"And still, the Super Middleweight Champion of the Worlddddd. Andre 'Son of a Bitch' Waarrrrdddd"
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:09 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
azania wrote:

I doubt he's using PEDs in fairness but why Conte??

California is a huge state. There must be some highly qualified sports nutritionists in San Francisco, LA, Oakland, San Jose, San Diego. "No I'm just gonna pick this guy with a terrible reputation!!!" WTF. There's somthing wrong in that.
Conte isn't a chemist.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:13 pm

You know what I mean! He owned BALCO got his people to mix up super PEDs for the likes of Marion Jones and Dwain Chambers. Why does Ward want to associate with such people. There must be a ton of people in the whole of California state with the necessary expertise.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:15 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:"Great fighter but my God, what a boring person. All this God stuff then fathering kids everywhere. Hope he gets a slap also."

Agree 100% with this, everytime Ward is on TV he always looks so sad. As if a family member died.

I don't know if its the shape of his face that does this or if he genuinley is sad about something.

Thats why I never get into all this religion guff, anyone who talks about it either seems sad or angry.

Since taking the name SOG he's come to realise there's no such thing and is now feeling pretty daft about it all.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:16 pm

I'm all for 2nd chances, but I wouldn't touch that guy with someone else's barge pole. But he is an authority on sports medicines, legal or otherwise.

Many boxers work with him including JMM. He helped him bulk up for his Pac fight. Hmmm.....!

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:28 pm

I think its a little weird with Conte because the drug issue is so vague in boxing, its hard to know what consitutes an "illegal" substance anymore. The chemists at these labs are creating new methods all the time so even what we see as a protein shake could contain a formula that isn't known to the rule makers so the fighters can do this without doing anything offically wrong.

Who better to help you with this that Conte. Its not breaking the rules. But morally its wrong.

Donaire uses him too and some of the training methods he uses are so scientific he looks like a lab rat in some videos.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:29 pm

Aye, 'Son of God' certainly is an awful moniker alright. It's right up there with Junior 'The Hitter' Witter and Juan 'The Hispanic Causing Panic' Lazcano in the higher echelons of nickname ineptitude.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 05 Sep 2012, 12:51 pm

Boxing is full of awful nicknames though Chris.

Floyd 'Money' Mayweather
Manny 'Pac Man' Pacquiao
Hayemaker

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:31 pm

Nate Campbell the Galaxy Warrior is one I never got.

What, like Hans Solo?

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:35 pm

Johnny "The Enternainer" Nelson. The irony takes some beating alone.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:51 pm

If you have been found guilty of supplying athletes with illegal drugs in the past then under no circumstances should you be allowed work with hem again in any kind of similar capacity. You should be blacklisted.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:55 pm

If you say that Calzaghe would beat a Klitschko you should be blacklisted from ever talking about boxing again.

Last edited by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:57 pm

No fighter around now would beat Calzaghe.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 05 Sep 2012, 1:58 pm

Gordy wrote:If you have been found guilty of supplying athletes with illegal drugs in the past then under no circumstances should you be allowed work with hem again in any kind of similar capacity. You should be blacklisted.

I agree with Gordy 100%

Do not EVER quote me on saying this, haha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 05 Sep 2012, 3:41 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Aye, 'Son of God' certainly is an awful moniker alright. It's right up there with Junior 'The Hitter' Witter and Juan 'The Hispanic Causing Panic' Lazcano in the higher echelons of nickname ineptitude.

Although not a famous name my favourite has to be - Sean "Short Fuse" Hughes. Classic! Laugh

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 05 Sep 2012, 4:37 pm

Gordy wrote:If you have been found guilty of supplying athletes with illegal drugs in the past then under no circumstances should you be allowed work with hem again in any kind of similar capacity. You should be blacklisted.

Agree.

Gordy wrote:No fighter around now would beat Calzaghe.

Disagree Rolling Eyes

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 4:42 pm

Boxtthis wrote:

Agree.

Disagree Rolling Eyes

Who around now would beat Calzaghe?!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:05 pm

Gordy wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

Agree.

Disagree Rolling Eyes

Out of any weight class? Thinking about it now I'd have to say surprisingly few that would beat him definitively. Vitali and Wlad Klitschko immediately spring to mind. Too big and far too hard punchers - and Joe does get tagged a fair bit in his fights. For that reason I think Calzaghe has trouble with Haye if he gets tagged. Andre Ward gives Calzaghe a hell of a fight (Calzaghe admits this himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMow7dS9SMw&feature=related), despite your never-ending perception that no modern boxer can possibly match up to Calzaghe. None of the other current crop of CWs, LHWs, or SMWs would beat him though I don't think. Of that group (other than Ward) Dawson would be the biggest challenge, and I'm not sure he could handle Joe's punch output. I don't want to go through the discussion of how Calzaghe might struggle against some of the much bigger, but less skilled HWs of today, because I'm not convinced that they'd beat him definitively and I don't want your head to explode in amazement if I write their names. Calzaghe was a really good boxer, no doubt about that. But, you do realise that a) He was a SMW/LHW, b) there's big question marks over his opposition and record don't you?

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:10 pm

As Az was trying to point out to Gordy earlier, if you forced Calzaghe (a career 168/175 lber) to boil down to lower weights then there are others that'd beat him. Martinez at 154lb maybe keeping if even slightly realistic? Or Cotto at 150/154lb.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:17 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
Gordy wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

Agree.

Disagree Rolling Eyes

Out of any weight class? Thinking about it now I'd have to say surprisingly few that would beat him definitively. Vitali and Wlad Klitschko immediately spring to mind. Too big and far too hard punchers - and Joe does get tagged a fair bit in his fights. For that reason I think Calzaghe has trouble with Haye if he gets tagged. Andre Ward gives Calzaghe a hell of a fight (Calzaghe admits this himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMow7dS9SMw&feature=related), despite your never-ending perception that no modern boxer can possibly match up to Calzaghe. None of the other current crop of CWs, LHWs, or SMWs would beat him though I don't think. Of that group (other than Ward) Dawson would be the biggest challenge, and I'm not sure he could handle Joe's punch output. I don't want to go through the discussion of how Calzaghe might struggle against some of the much bigger, but less skilled HWs of today, because I'm not convinced that they'd beat him definitively and I don't want your head to explode in amazement if I write their names. Calzaghe was a really good boxer, no doubt about that. But, you do realise that a) He was a SMW/LHW, b) there's big question marks over his opposition and record don't you?

Not true. Ward is not in the same league as Calzaghe. The heavyweights today are bigger than Calzaghe but they are rubbish. Calzaghe would have far to much talent for the ones around now. Im not saying he would beat every heavyweight in history. No way would he. In most other era's Calzaghe would not be able to become the heavyweight champion but this era is the worst ever for heavyweights so with the ability Calzaghe has he would beat the heavyweights that around now. He said himself he would have beaten them. I would not give Calzaghe any chance of beating the last great heavyweight Lewis, but heavyweights like Haye, Harrison, Price and the russian ones around now are miles below him in terms of ability.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:19 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
Gordy wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

Agree.

Disagree Rolling Eyes

Yahoo

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:23 pm

Gordy, if by the Russian ones you are refering to the Klitschko's they are Ukranian, you know this because a) you have a vast and extensive knowledge of the sport and b) you have had it pointed out to you on several occasions.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:25 pm

Gordy wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:
Gordy wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

Agree.

Disagree Rolling Eyes

Not true. Ward is not in the same league as Calzaghe. The heavyweights today are bigger than Calzaghe but they are rubbish. Calzaghe would have far to much talent for the ones around now. Im not saying he would beat every heavyweight in history. No way would he. In most other era's Calzaghe would not be able to become the heavyweight champion but this era is the worst ever for heavyweights so with the ability Calzaghe has he would beat the heavyweights that around now. He said himself he would have beaten them. I would not give Calzaghe any chance of beating the last great heavyweight Lewis, but heavyweights like Haye, Harrison, Price and the russian ones around now are miles below him in terms of ability.

Can you explain how a feather-fisted slapper would even get near enough to a Kbot let alone have the power to trouble them? Can't see how he could win against Wlad, as Haye showed, he's nigh impossible to get close to and when you do you get tied up, smothered and leant on by a guy a couple of stones heavier than you.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:28 pm

Correction: 5 stone heavier.

Gordy, here's the maths:

245lb - 175lb = 70lb / 14lb = 5 stone.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:30 pm

It's beyond ridiculous, is like putting Ricardo Lopez in with Enzo Maccarinelli. Lopez is one of the best little men of all time, whilst Enzo is ordinary by the standards of an ordinary division but would not stop Lopez getting knocked into next week

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:33 pm

Calzaghe would not them knock out alot of the heavyweights but he would just outbox them with his superior ability. Much quicker and much more talented than the heavyweights today who are terrible. He would box rings around them.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:36 pm

If that was indeed the case Gordy I do have to ask why Joe did not choose to move up to heavyweight once Lewis retired, did he not fancy the career highest payday taking such a fight would have guaranteed him and the place amongst boxings immortals success in such a fight would have guaranteed him, personally if it was going to be so easy for him you’d like to think he would jump at the chance.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:36 pm

I think any of the top ten heavies would beat him and quite handily - how can a man who has decent power but has to throw at halfish his range at super middle because of frail hands keep off a heavy? fat they may be but as soon as he stops to throw a punch they'll walk through and knock him to the ground. Wlad crushes him - see what he did to that cruiser? He carried him for a few rounds and Calzaghe is even smaller than him. Calzaghes only hope is he gets awarded points for avoiding punches Laugh True - he was very good and probably slaps Dawson senseless - and he might beat Ward but theres no glory in beating up welters and middles so he has to look up. He'll struggle but might prevail against the cruisers but the heavies kill him.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:38 pm

Gordy stop wumming. Your comments are so pathetic you can't possibly be being serious.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:42 pm

Bizarre thing is, Gordy isn't like this on any of the other boards. On football he is perfectly sensible and reasoned.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:43 pm

Football fans are on the whole Partisan lunatics tophat Laugh

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:45 pm

rowley wrote:If that was indeed the case Gordy I do have to ask why Joe did not choose to move up to heavyweight once Lewis retired, did he not fancy the career highest payday taking such a fight would have guaranteed him and the place amongst boxings immortals success in such a fight would have guaranteed him, personally if it was going to be so easy for him you’d like to think he would jump at the chance.

He said he would have beaten them himself but he was also near the end of his career and like when Lewis was his motivation to continue was not the same. I also dont think those heavyweights would want to fight someone as talented as Calzaghe. The russian or ukranian ones dont travel around and are not big names. They dont like taking on challenges especially if they have to travel. Can you see them going to Cardiff, Manchester or London??! They dont even in fight in America! I dont think Haye or Harrison would want to fight him either. They are hype jobs who spend there time fighting other hype jobs and they would have known Calzaghe was to good. So there are many reasons.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:48 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Football fans are on the whole Partisan lunatics tophat Laugh

Not a mad hatter yourself then Shah? Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:49 pm

Calzaghe would dive through Wlad's legs tap him on shoulder and then he'd spin around all surprised and take a swing, Joe'd duck, pepper them with punches and then cartwheel away, whilst the soundtrack from a selection of Three Stooges filmography plays in the background.

Lewis would design the fight plan and sit at ringside looking very sage and giving insightful, gripping commentary.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:49 pm

Gordy wrote:
rowley wrote:If that was indeed the case Gordy I do have to ask why Joe did not choose to move up to heavyweight once Lewis retired, did he not fancy the career highest payday taking such a fight would have guaranteed him and the place amongst boxings immortals success in such a fight would have guaranteed him, personally if it was going to be so easy for him you’d like to think he would jump at the chance.

He said he would have beaten them himself but he was also near the end of his career and like when Lewis was his motivation to continue was not the same. I also dont think those heavyweights would want to fight someone as talented as Calzaghe. The russian or ukranian ones dont travel around and are not big names. They dont like taking on challenges especially if they have to travel. Can you see them going to Cardiff, Manchester or London??! They dont even in fight in America! I dont think Haye or Harrison would want to fight him either. They are hype jobs who spend there time fighting other hype jobs and they would have known Calzaghe was to good. So there are many reasons.

Both K's have fought in the States, numpty Doh

Now they just do what makes most money

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:49 pm

The problem with the football and rugby boards is that everyone is to biased towards there own team that. Its hypocrisy at its worse when you see fans slag off one player for something like diving when there own players do it just as much. I only find it interesting discussing team sports with people who are unbiased. The worst boards of all time are Rangers and Celtic boards. No point even posting.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:51 pm

Exactly so. I speak from experience!

I have figured out then with the help of your opinion of Gordys prowess on other boards - that he probably doesnt know anything about boxing Shocked . I don't think any of us saw that coming

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Sep 2012, 5:53 pm

Gordy wrote: The russian or ukranian ones dont travel around

Unlike Calzaghe who clocked up air miles in a way that made Judith Chalmers envious.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 05 Sep 2012, 6:02 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:I think any of the top ten heavies would beat him and quite handily

I was tempted to say that, but I wasn't sure I could handle the uproar. Although, to be honest, the crop of HWs now is so bad that you'd probably give Joe a decent chance against a good few of them. Of all the HWs now only the Klitschko's have any real degree of class.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next