The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fred Evans

+2
owen10ozzy
BoxingFan88
6 posters

Go down

Fred Evans Empty Fred Evans

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:13 pm

He got given the big build up before the olympics, but I just watched his fight and was not impressed with his attitude. He has the talent no doubt, he was winning easily and then just decided to not do anything for the remaining two rounds, I thought he lost it.

Did anyone else see the bout and what did you think?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Fred Evans Empty Re: Fred Evans

Post by owen10ozzy Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:43 pm

Yeh I had Evans marginally nick it based on the cleaner punching.

I have to say it is worrying that all of our guys seem to tire in the final round...I could understand if they were boxing 3 minutes every day but they have a couple off inbetween fights...

They certainly wouldn't last long in Prizefighter..

It is also frightening to see how lazy they get when they are in front...Evan's was content to run in that final round and then in those last 30 seconds he stood in front of his man...postured and didn't even throw a punch....it is a shame Rob McCracken is not allowed in the corner because he would be having none of that.

I'm not sure any of our lads are good enough to win a gold if im being honest. Think a couple of Bronze and couple of silvers will come our but that's it.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 07 Aug 2012, 11:16 pm

Haven't seen anything gold worthy in any of the Brits yet. Ogogo won't win his next match of that I'm sure, like the guy and thought he was excellent last night but the Brazilian he's facing next looked even better.

Selby was very heavily backed coming in to this as the most talented/naturally gifted and is out. Joshua was good last night but lucky to be there in the first place.

Is there an attitude problem with Brit boxers? Are pros like Haye setting a bad example such that kids just want to get something/anything out of the amateurs just as a bit of PR for a lucrative quick pro career?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 08 Aug 2012, 12:01 am

I haven't seen it yet but from what I am hearing from Canadian TV Custio might have been jobbed. I liked Clayton a lot and knew if he was in a close fight he would get jobbed. Hope it's not true

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 08 Aug 2012, 12:29 am

Sean...not a chance he was robbed mate. To be honest Evans dominated the first round and was really picking him off...he had a 5 point lead but could have easily been 6/7 to the good..

The 2nd round was a close one...Clayton began coming on strong and deserved the round, although im not sure by the 3 point margin he got it..

The 3rd round was obviously the vital one...once again the Brit seemed to either really tire or just get lazy (as I said a seemingly recurring theme throughout these games)...the problem was that Clayton didn't really push the pace or land enough significant punches to push him over the line.

Fight went to countback with Evans getting the nod. I think that was fair because whilst Clayton was the aggressor he was very wild at times and Evan's made him miss a heck of alot...and Evans landed the much cleaner shots...

It is frustrating seeing the Brit's seemingly consistently try and throw it away by taking breathers or running when ahead...im not sure what is happening but either their conditioning is way off or they just are all pretty rubbish at following a game plan/doing as the corner instructs. A problem im not sure would be their if McCracken was allowed in the corner...

As I said I can see a couple of silvers for the team...most likely Evan's and Joshua... but the rest I think will end up having to settle for Bronze..

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 12:59 am

Evans was clearly the more talented of the two, I don't understand how he just forgot all his good boxing in the first round and did nothing in the second and third. The Canadian wasn't better in the next two rounds Evans just let him win them!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 08 Aug 2012, 1:15 am

Good. Glad it's not a bad decision. We are in the medals, but of what I have seen, Joshua is best chance of gold

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:31 am

Evans has absolutely knackered at the end. The Canadian was all over him. The first round was dominant for Evans, but I had the Canadian winning overall. I can see why he's upset, but it wasn't a 'robbery' by any means. Mind you, if it'd had been in Canada, I'm pretty sure it would've went the other way.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:32 am

RE: Anthony Joshua

The guy he's fighting next looked good though, won't be a straightforward fight, hopefully he keeps a cool head and relies on his boxing ability.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:45 am

Wouldn't say it was a robbery, definitely a close bout in which I think Evans was slightly lucky to get the nod. According to Buncey though, it was a walk over. Evans must be lined up to sign with Frank...

Evans appeared to have won all three rounds against the Canadian but at the end of the contest the men at ringside returned an 18-18 verdict, which means that the countback system kicked in and thankfully Evans was given the nod.

It was not even remotely competitive for two rounds, with Evans floating between lead punches and generally doing exactly what he liked. Clayton, who is an entertaining slugger, played his part and made the last round exciting to watch, which also delighted the crowd. However, a decision in his favour would have been a travesty.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/other-events/boxing-evans-endures-countback-farce-before-reaching-semis-8015700.html

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 12:32 pm

Laughable article by Bunce, it was a very close fight I thought that a point either way is a fair result, either man in a close fight is fine by me.

'Count back farce' and he calls us casual fans who know nothing about the sport, laughable!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed 08 Aug 2012, 1:09 pm

Agree, I have no problem with the result either, but, to suggest that it was a one sided beat-down is completely off the mark. The man is a prat and out of touch with reality, a complete tool and sell out.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 1:09 pm

Don't mince your words Trott....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed 08 Aug 2012, 1:18 pm

Laugh

Double gold medalist in "the family" now. Pretty much do what I want... Whistle

trottb