The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fred Perry - Who's that?

4 posters

Go down

Fred Perry - Who's that? Empty Fred Perry - Who's that?

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:33 pm

Well it Bunny Austin is now cast to one side, just this gentleman left to cast to the forlons of british tennis history. It is sad we have to look back pre-open era to really speak proud of british champions. It doesn't speak well for tennis in this country. See Murray getting to the final is something I hope has knock on effect to the youngsters in this country.

To the semi-final. It wasn't that spectacular in terms of quality. Tsonga's movement just looked restricted for 2 sets and it looked like he was in a slumber. See it is a shame because Tsonga is wonderful shot maker. It makes me wonder if not having coach is harming his career. Tsonga reminds me of a steam train without a driver. That is why a coach would be so beneficial to him. Someone to help him think about his game. The live and die by the sword culture in his play is more than respectable. You could never accuse the guy of ducking out of a match situation. He needs someone to say 'Hey kid you have the tools to do great things, but the lack of thinking wrecks that for you' someone to help him tactically. Not every short ball needs to be brained into oblivion. Someone to say how about a half swing and get the ball into play and force the opponent to work the rally. It would save him so much running!!

To Murray. I am a fan. Have been for years. You leanr hope and expectation are such different things. I remember US Open 2008 and Greg saying oh Murray to win it. I felt it was too soon for him there and it was as Federer put him to sword. Henman thought Andy would win in Melbourne in 2010 and again it was another mauling.

The difference now compared to those disastrous campaigns is the form going into it. See Murray defeated Nadal in 2008 and the momentum most felt was with him, but it didn't materialise. Same in 2010, he came into the final with a good match behind him in defeating Cilic. The outcomes were both the same. Murray playing the rope a dope and it didn't work. See with Federer once he is on top, the rythym becomes that much more difficult to shift. You can't get away with feeding the mid-court stuff and thinking the play and momentum will break down.

See 2012 is different. The Ferrer/Tsonga matches have not been inspiring. Happy to sit back on FH and not use it to attacking purposes. Federer will hammer the FH off the court. I have just been watching some Fed/Djok highlights and man that was a ruthless display. Yes Murray will get chances, but so will Federer. Murray is coming into final with no real momentum of a top match behind him. Bar possibly Cilic at a stretch. Struggled with Karlovic and his returns, struggled to maintain his serving against Baghdatis and also just not utilising the FH against Ferrer and Tsonga. Yes he came strong in the Ferrer match, but against Tsonga he got so many gifts that it was eyewatering to watch if you like Tsonga and follow him.

If Murray does win Wimbledon, it will have to take breathtaking performance to justify such a prize. Winning Wimbledon would be massive for Murray, but it is a mountainous task in my eyes. Federer is looking like that ruthless machine that won Slams by the bucketloads even if it is just for this 2 week period.

I want Murray to win Wimbledon, not for himself. Not because I support him, but because of what it could do for British tennis and those that follow it. We might not have to wait another 70 odd years for future champions.

Back to top Go down

Fred Perry - Who's that? Empty Re: Fred Perry - Who's that?

Post by banbrotam Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:43 pm

" Murray is coming into final with no real momentum of a top match behind him"

Whilst I think Fed will win - I'm scrathing my head at this comment (even your Baggy one, fails to recognise how difficult he was)

He's just played two of the most on form players of this year - Tsonga would have been poised to take his No.4 off him, if he'd won. Ferrer had won the most matches this year. You don't dominate players like that for every minute of a 5-set match

Forget the Tsonga back injury. Jo rarely put's it together for two hours on the trot - which is why his biggest success has been one Masters trophy. I'm bemused as to why you (and quite a few others) seem to have forgotten how masterful Murray was for those two sets. Fed's great serve, will be coming back to him if Andy keeps up that form - then we'll see what happens

I actually think these 6 tricky matches have made Murray mentally tougher and expect him to be relaxed for the final

Finally, I honestly don't think that Nole turned up - he's had one or two matches like this, i.e. when Murray beat him at Dubai and here was another one

I think it will be a great final, with Murray winning at least one set

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:47 pm

Whilst I think Fed will win - I'm scrathing my head at this comment (even your Baggy one, fails to recognise how difficult he was)

Possibly because for me he hasn't been firing on all cylinders. It really is as simple as that. Don't take it as a bad thing. I am looking at it as a different omen Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:37 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:

Possibly because for me he hasn't been firing on all cylinders. It really is as simple as that. Don't take it as a bad thing. I am looking at it as a different omen Smile

I hope you're right and there's more to come. I'm with BB - too much right now, we'll see on the day Smile

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:51 pm

banbrotam wrote:" Murray is coming into final with no real momentum of a top match behind him"

He's just played two of the most on form players of this year - Tsonga would have been poised to take his No.4 off him, if he'd won. Ferrer had won the most matches this year. You don't dominate players like that for every minute of a 5-set match

Forget the Tsonga back injury. Jo rarely put's it together for two hours on the trot - which is why his biggest success has been one Masters trophy. I'm bemused as to why you (and quite a few others) seem to have forgotten how masterful Murray was for those two sets. Fed's great serve, will be coming back to him if Andy keeps up that form - then we'll see what happens

I actually think these 6 tricky matches have made Murray mentally tougher and expect him to be relaxed for the final

Finally, I honestly don't think that Nole turned up - he's had one or two matches like this, i.e. when Murray beat him at Dubai and here was another one

It's been mentioned and I've said it too that the pressure affected Djokovic more than it did Federer and the result was an easy win for Fed. But credit was due to Fed, he served well throughout and kept himself composed on critical points and importantly didn't allow many crises on his own serve. Whereas Djokovic was having to create heroics just to hang on to his own service games in the 3rd and 4th sets.

I simply don't agree with your notion that somehow Murray is the greatest returner in the game. Really? Everyone has been saying Djokovic is and that's why he's got the 5 slams and Murray final's appearances. I'm really not sure where you came up with this idea he's the best returner in the game. I do agree he had one of the hardest draws but when Nadal wasn't in it anymore it didn't look as tough. Federer had an easier draw, I agree but even with an easy draw it isn't easy to keep your consistency up. I hope Murray gets a set but I think Fed will be able to deal with what Murray throws @ him.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 07 Jul 2012, 6:54 am

Well, if Andy wins tomorrow I may have to change my name to SirAndyMurray.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 07 Jul 2012, 7:31 am

luciusmann wrote:
banbrotam wrote:" Murray is coming into final with no real momentum of a top match behind him"

It's been mentioned and I've said it too that the pressure affected Djokovic more than it did Federer and the result was an easy win for Fed. But credit was due to Fed, he served well throughout and kept himself composed on critical points and importantly didn't allow many crises on his own serve. Whereas Djokovic was having to create heroics just to hang on to his own service games in the 3rd and 4th sets.

I simply don't agree with your notion that somehow Murray is the greatest returner in the game. Really? Everyone has been saying Djokovic is and that's why he's got the 5 slams and Murray final's appearances. I'm really not sure where you came up with this idea he's the best returner in the game. I do agree he had one of the hardest draws but when Nadal wasn't in it anymore it didn't look as tough. Federer had an easier draw, I agree but even with an easy draw it isn't easy to keep your consistency up. I hope Murray gets a set but I think Fed will be able to deal with what Murray throws @ him.

Is the pressure really on Andy though? After all he has already written his own little piece of history (first Brit to reach Wimbledon Mens Singles Final since 1938) so that will take that little bit of pressure off. Besides ever since Nadal got knocked out in the Second Round the pressure on Andy to reach the Final have been immense with people ready to leap all over him if he didn't make the final but guess what? He lived with that pressure, carrying it on his shoulders and achieved a great feat for British tennis. Pressure off? I would think so a tad and this will also be Andy's first slam final with Ivan Lendl in his box to offer his wisdom and advice so who knows? Best of luck Andy.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 07 Jul 2012, 7:49 am

CC. Yes, Andy just getting to a Wimbledon final is an achievement. The key match, for me, was Ferrer. The Spaniard was in the form of his life and had just won on grass at Hootie-tootie-Bosh. Andy knew the path to the final lay open if he could just get past Ferrer and that he'd probably never get a better chance to reach a Wimbledon final.
Thanks must not only go to Rosol for disposing of Rafa but to the roof. This would have been a pretty miserable Wimbledon without the roof. How Henman could have done with a roof in 2001.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down