The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool

+12
Eyetoldyouso
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Josiah Maiestas
newballs
TopHat24/7
Crimey
sodhat
Kenny
hampo17
Gordy
cherriesfna
GSC
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool  - Page 2 Empty Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool

Post by GSC Wed 16 May 2012, 4:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

https://twitter.com/#!/DickinsonTimes/status/202778741624143873
https://twitter.com/#!/Matt_Lawton_DM/status/202777054926737408

Rafa, Martinez?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool  - Page 2 Empty Re: Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool

Post by GSC Wed 16 May 2012, 11:39 pm

The big problem was AVB was brought in rebuild the squad in a new style. Mata and Romeu bringing technical ability to try and get the best out of Torres.

This ultimately led to Lampard and Drogba being a. over the hill and b. not a fit for what AVB wanted to do.

Chelsea management eventually sided with the vet players.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool  - Page 2 Empty Re: Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 16 May 2012, 11:50 pm

That decision was taking after numerous alarming scorelines to be fair, 3-5 at home to Arsenal, 2 home losses to Liverpool, home loss to Aston Villa etc. AVB had his chances and the results were awful, they would be out of the UCL ages ago if they stuck with his tactics...
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Thu 17 May 2012, 2:40 am

Kenny had to go. He can hide behind the league cup success all he likes but his time there is deemed a failure by the board and fans alike.

Winning the league cup is like being single for 6 years and then bringing home Susan Boyle.

Not good enough.
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 17 May 2012, 9:37 am

I personally hope AvB gets the job, a top young manager who if given the correct backing can make the club challenge again over time.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 17 May 2012, 11:10 am

AVB was brought in to do a long term job though. That Chelsea squad badly needed it, Ancelotti had similar problems last year.

If you pay 15m to break his contract at Porto you should at least give him 2 years
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 17 May 2012, 12:45 pm

Alessandro Ciambella wrote:Kenny had to go. He can hide behind the league cup success all he likes but his time there is deemed a failure by the board and fans alike.

Winning the league cup is like being single for 6 years and then bringing home Susan Boyle.

Not good enough.

If I went 6 years without a bit I would stick it to Subo. You are right though a league cup can't cover up for the season they have just had in the league. I don't even think the FA cup could have saved him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 17 May 2012, 1:13 pm

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
Alessandro Ciambella wrote:Kenny had to go. He can hide behind the league cup success all he likes but his time there is deemed a failure by the board and fans alike.

Not good enough.

If I went 6 years without a bit I would stick it to Subo. You are right though a league cup can't cover up for the season they have just had in the league. I don't even think the FA cup could have saved him.

Football has become a joke. I would consider winning 2 out of 3 trophys a succesful season. Although our league form wasnt good enough, our squad is very thin and was always going to be a struggle to compete even on 3 fronts. We have played some great football season and was probably missing an in form striker which would have turned our league form around. Its been became too corperate. I would take three trips to Wembley over 'maybe' qualifing for the champs league next season anyday.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 17 May 2012, 1:21 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:

Not good enough.

Football has become a joke. I would consider winning 2 out of 3 trophys a succesful season. Although our league form wasnt good enough, our squad is very thin and was always going to be a struggle to compete even on 3 fronts. We have played some great football season and was probably missing an in form striker which would have turned our league form around. Its been became too corperate. I would take three trips to Wembley over 'maybe' qualifing for the champs league next season anyday.

That's fine its great winning trophies but like you said its all corporate these days and Kenny knows that. They have played some cracking stuff this season. Suarez never helped getting himself banned for 8 games because he was on decent form when it happened.

Your in Liverpool so who is that fans choice mate? I would go for O'Neill definitely not AVB though. You need to have more than one decent season on your CV before you are considered for the Liverpool job imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 17 May 2012, 1:59 pm

To be honest mate I didn't want Dalglish to go. He has only had one full season FFS. If FSG had actually watched Liverpool every game this season and had a good understanding of the game they would have realised we were only a couple of quality players from challenging again.

I also don’t blame him for the handling of the Suarez situation. He was placed in a ridiculous position dealing with FA legal cases and the club's response - when his priority was clearly the football on the pitch. Its shouldn’t have been solely down to Kenny to be a face of Liverpool and the communications executive should have been at the fore front of this, hence why he was probably sacked aswell.

Maybe they wanted to invest 30 odd million into us to improve the squad but didn’t think Kenny was the right man. Maybe they wanted to improve our image to make us more of a global brand and Kenny, with his awkward press conferences didn’t suit that image.

But all in all it was a bad decision to sack him and off the top of my head, I cannot think of anyone realistic who can fill the void at the moment.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 17 May 2012, 2:15 pm

Rikjaard's agent shot it down somewhat.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 17 May 2012, 2:17 pm

It was interesting to hear Phil Thompson championing Didier Deschamps on sky news . He was talked about after Rafa left but nothing came of it then .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 17 May 2012, 2:22 pm

Would he leave Marseille for Liverpool though?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 17 May 2012, 2:24 pm

Dont know ? hes been their awhile so might fancy a new challenge ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 17 May 2012, 2:25 pm

Similarities with their seasons, Marseille only finished 10th but picked up a cup.

Might see it as more of a sideways move.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 17 May 2012, 2:26 pm

Apparently John Henry unfollowed Dalglish on twitter.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 17 May 2012, 2:30 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Apparently John Henry unfollowed Dalglish on twitter.

Am sure he will be devastated haha.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 17 May 2012, 4:14 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:To be honest mate I didn't want Dalglish to go. He has only had one full season FFS. If FSG had actually watched Liverpool every game this season and had a good understanding of the game they would have realised we were only a couple of quality players from challenging again.

I also don’t blame him for the handling of the Suarez situation. He was placed in a ridiculous position dealing with FA legal cases and the club's response - when his priority was clearly the football on the pitch. Its shouldn’t have been solely down to Kenny to be a face of Liverpool and the communications executive should have been at the fore front of this, hence why he was probably sacked aswell.

Maybe they wanted to invest 30 odd million into us to improve the squad but didn’t think Kenny was the right man. Maybe they wanted to improve our image to make us more of a global brand and Kenny, with his awkward press conferences didn’t suit that image.

But all in all it was a bad decision to sack him and off the top of my head, I cannot think of anyone realistic who can fill the void at the moment.

I know what you mean mate in this day and age he was always going to go but chairmen never learn. I think O'Neill is the man for the job. There is a lot of similarities with Liverpool just now and Celtic when he took them over. He is a top manager as well.

His attitude with the press was poor which probably never helped from that side. If your good to them their good to you but if you give them nothing they give you nothing but stick. It was like that when he came back to Celtic as well just over a decade ago.

Like you said mate a couple of good players and Liverpool are challenging again. People forget he has been without at least 1 and sometimes both of his first choice midfielders this season. Lucas was playing his best stuff for the club when he got injured and Stevie G has had so many niggling injuries this year.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 17 May 2012, 4:30 pm

Not good enough.

That's fine its great winning trophies but like you said its all corporate these days and Kenny knows that. They have played some cracking stuff this season. Suarez never helped getting himself banned for 8 games because he was on decent form when it happened.

Your in Liverpool so who is that fans choice mate? I would go for O'Neill definitely not AVB though. You need to have more than one decent season on your CV before you are considered for the Liverpool job imo.

Don't see why you wouldn't want someone like AvB. Young, a very talented manager who got the best out of a porto side, it wasn't just a good season they had it was exceptional. Brought in at Chelsea to try and freshen the squad with younger players and effectively forced about by players like Terry.

There aren't that many managers who will fancy the Liverpool job in my opinion, as a club we have dropped down significantly, from what it appears is that you are looking at a straight choice between Roberto Martinez who has been in a relegation battle every season and has no experience of managing bigger clubs, or AvB a man who led Porto to the Europa League and unbeaten in the league and was so wanted so much by Chelsea they paid £15 million to get him.

His history is very good infact, first job took over Academica who were bottom of the league leading them to 11th and 10 points clear of the relegation zone, also took them to the semi finals of the cup. Won 4 trophies in his one season at Porto as everyone knows. Prior to his Chelsea role everybody was raving about how good he was, now he isn't good enough for a team that finished 8th?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 17 May 2012, 4:38 pm

hampo171 wrote:

Not good enough.

Don't see why you wouldn't want someone like AvB. Young, a very talented manager who got the best out of a porto side, it wasn't just a good season they had it was exceptional. Brought in at Chelsea to try and freshen the squad with younger players and effectively forced about by players like Terry.

There aren't that many managers who will fancy the Liverpool job in my opinion, as a club we have dropped down significantly, from what it appears is that you are looking at a straight choice between Roberto Martinez who has been in a relegation battle every season and has no experience of managing bigger clubs, or AvB a man who led Porto to the Europa League and unbeaten in the league and was so wanted so much by Chelsea they paid £15 million to get him.

His history is very good infact, first job took over Academica who were bottom of the league leading them to 11th and 10 points clear of the relegation zone, also took them to the semi finals of the cup. Won 4 trophies in his one season at Porto as everyone knows. Prior to his Chelsea role everybody was raving about how good he was, now he isn't good enough for a team that finished 8th?

He lost the Chelsea dressing room in a short period of time, I just feel the same would happen at Liverpool. just see him dropping Gerrard to make an example of he's the boss type of thing the players and fans will rally round Gerrard etc.......

Need a big name, un attached, lots of experience who will command respect in the dressing room. First name that springs to mind for me is Capello.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 17 May 2012, 4:42 pm

I doubt he'd drop Gerrard though, a couple of friends who are Chelsea fans have been saying he was brought in and told by Abromovich to try and freshen the squad and and bring younger players in to replace to older players like Drogba and Lamps.

At Liverpool he wouldn't be asked to do that, Fenway know how important Gerrard is to the Liverpool first team and I personally believe they'd let him build his own squad. Infact if they were going to give him an instructions it would probably be to replace the shower of poo that Kenny and Commoli brought in last summer.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 17 May 2012, 4:48 pm

They will be given there chance. Dalglish was following the remit of young and British hence why Carroll and Henderson arrvied, both had potential. But I agree the money could have been much better spent on the continent. Enrique started of brightly and then tailed right off coming towards the end of the season. For me Downing has to go. Hasn't got the confidence to go past a player and relyed too heavily on the Enrique overlap as a diversion.

He either needs a good dressing down or to be sold, I would much rather have Adam Johnson the Downing any day.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 17 May 2012, 6:28 pm

Just been on SSN that Whelan has given us permission to speak to Martinez.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 17 May 2012, 6:28 pm

Wigan have given Liverpool permission to speak to Roberto Martinez
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 6:34 pm

People talk about KK's lack of skill when dealing with the media...then mention in AVB in the next breath. The man was drenched in arrogance and delusion the likes of which has rarely been seen. O'Neill's not much better when speak to the press. Generally has to have a bleedin' good whinge at something or other.

My pick would be someone like Chris Houghton who has a nice relaxed demeanour, doesn't hog the limelight and, more importantly, might be able to get the very best out Carroll.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 17 May 2012, 7:02 pm

Liverpool have come out and stated that Martinez is one of several candidates they will be speaking too .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 7:20 pm

Screw Martinez...may as well ask Alan Hansen, he seems to have all the answers on MOTD!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 17 May 2012, 7:25 pm

All joking apart i was always surprised Hansen never went into management given his strong opinions on things .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 7:32 pm

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:All joking apart i was always surprised Hansen never went into management given his strong opinions on things .

He said he never had the balls to do so and wouldn't be able to cope with the stress of of it.....so decided a cushty position on the MOTD sofa picking fault at all and sundry at the TV licence payers expense was better suited.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 7:34 pm

Who says I'm joking..."another miserable scot in charge" ....the media would have a field day.

Don't think Hansen has ever wanted to manage (bit like Lineker) but with his reputation amongst the Anfield faithful, I'd like to think they welcome him with open arms. mind you, after the way FSG discarded of KK, I doubt Hansen thinks he'll get treated any better.

Would have loved to see Ian Rush out there prowling the touchline. If Carroll had half the finishing ability of Rushie, we'd be sitting pretty right now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 7:37 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Who says I'm joking..."another miserable scot in charge" ....the media would have a field day.

Don't think Hansen has ever wanted to manage (bit like Lineker) but with his reputation amongst the Anfield faithful, I'd like to think they welcome him with open arms. mind you, after the way FSG discarded of KK, I doubt Hansen thinks he'll get treated any better.

Would have loved to see Ian Rush out there prowling the touchline. If Carroll had half the finishing ability of Rushie, we'd be sitting pretty right now.

Apparently Lineker had his eyes on Des Lynams job during his England playing tenure and he used to conduct mock interviews with fellow players. I'd love to see one with Gazza!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 17 May 2012, 7:40 pm

We would be sitting pretty right now if David Moores had sold the club to Dubai International Capitol rather then Hicks / Gillett that has set us back years
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 May 2012, 8:01 pm

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:We would be sitting pretty right now if David Moores had sold the club to Dubai International Capitol rather then Hicks / Gillett that has set us back years

You'll get no argument from me on that one.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 29 May 2012, 11:28 am

Closing in on Rodgers now apparently
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2