The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pep Guardiola close to leaving club

+5
The Special Juan
Imperial Ghosty
monty junior
Ent
Crimey
9 posters

Go down

Pep Guardiola close to leaving club Empty Pep Guardiola close to leaving club

Post by Crimey Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:40 pm

It appears that Guardiola will be leaving the club at the end of the season.

Pep Guardiola is understood to be on the brink of ending his tenure as manager of Barcelona after telling the club he can not carry on.
The 41-year-old Catalan will announce his intentions at a press conference at the Nou Camp on Friday afternoon. And barring a last-minute change of heart, Guardiola is expected to confirm his departure from the club he has led to two Champions League titles.
The Barcelona manager has arranged to meet his players on Friday morning.

It is thought Guardiola will take a year-long break from football should he leave his post.

Guardiola spent three hours with Barcelona president Sandro Rossell on Thursday morning. During the talks, which took place at Rossell's private home in the city, Guardiola is understood to have expressed his belief that he could "not go on. What had begun as discussions over an extension to his one-year rolling contract soon turned into a push to keep Guardiola at the club. Rossell is understood to have offered Guardiola unlimited spending power this summer but the Catalan will not base his decision on money.

Guardiola, who captained the club as a player, has always maintained that he would do what was best for the club. He spent Thursday afternoon with his family and is expected to tell Rossell of his decision later tonight.

While it cannot be ruled out that Guardiola may change his mind, the club fear that the man who has led them to two Champions League titles and three La Liga crowns has made his decision. The manner of the defeat by Real Madrid on Saturday, a result which effectively saw Barcelona relinquish their Primera Division title to Jose Mourinho's men and the Champions League defeat by Chelsea have prompted this rethink.

Rosell has, however, been firmly behind his manager in the wake of those results. "I hope that Josep is our coach next season", Rosell said on Wednesday. We have confidence in him; he is essential for our type of play."

Guardiola stepped up from manager of the Barcelona B in 2008 and has gone on to become the most successful coach in the club's illustrious history.
During his four-year tenure, Guardiola has won two Champions League crowns, three La Liga trophies, one Copa del Rey, three Supercopas, two Uefa Super Cups and two Fifa Club World Cups.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17855980

If this does end up happening, how can you replace a man who is so popular with the board, the players and the fans, a man who practically IS Barcelona.

While no man will be bigger than the club it will be very hard to replace a man who has had so much success. Some will say that with the players Barcelona have, it doesn't matter who they have as a manager, I don't agree with that. I think that Guardiola might not necessarily be as good a manager away from Barcelona, but the Barcelona team are so in tune with their manager it will be extremely hard to replace him.

So who would you bring in?

Luis Enrique, current Barcelona 'B' team manager, go the same route as Guardiola?
Louis Van Gaal again?
Johan Cruyff?
Joachim Loew?

Or possibly Arsene Wenger?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pep Guardiola close to leaving club Empty Re: Pep Guardiola close to leaving club

Post by Ent Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:16 pm

Your logic is spot on.

Guardiola isn't a great manager in the truest sense, his coaching, tactics, player acquisition etc has shown this.

He is however a great great manager for Barcelona for the reasons you listed, very popular and the players work at 100% for him, in contrast to a similar squad before he arrived.

Barca as a club tend to shoot themselves in the foot (if you look at their history), I hope their not doing it again on the basis of losing to a fluke and one of the best league squads ever assembled.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Pep Guardiola close to leaving club Empty Re: Pep Guardiola close to leaving club

Post by Crimey Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:53 pm

I think Barcelona will never be as successful as they have been for the next few years, Xavi is slowing down, injuries are taking their toll, Villa is also on the wrong side of 30, Iniesta is getting older, and worryingly the Barca team are starting to look to Messi too much, almost like when Argentina play.

I think that Guardiola would be the more likely to be able to build a Barca side again, particularly the position he made and then passed onto Xavi, Guardiola is the man who would best be able to nurture a replacement for Xavi- probably Fabregas.

If Guardiola does leave, next season is going to be a nervous one for Barca fans, especially with Real getting better and better.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:58 pm

Next season was always going to be a struggle regardless of who took the pots this season imo.

Spain will probably go deep in Euro 2012 this summer, with some of the aging Barca players getting little to no rest.

This with a high quality but low depth squad was always going to be problematic considering Madrids continual improvement.

Another issue is wether Mourinho will walk away from Madrid now.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:01 pm

I think getting knocked out means he's more likely to stay on rather than more likely to leave though to be fair, if he had won the La Liga and Champions League I think he would have gone, to get a different challenge, perhaps even a national team after Euro 2012, but unless he's pushed, I imagine he'll be determined to win the Champions League with Real Madrid and probably won't voluntarily leave without it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:08 pm

I think Luis Enrique is the manager of Roma since the start of the season

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:11 pm

Think that United and Milan in recent years have proven that Chelseas win over them was no fluke albeit United beat Rijkard Barcelona. Each time they face a well organised team with a great defence they struggle and his lack of plan B has been shown up somewhat. They have played winning football for the most part but has little variety with a poor defence that is rarely tested.

Guardiola has done great things for Barcelona but have never considered him to be a great manager.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:25 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Think that United and Milan in recent years have proven that Chelseas win over them was no fluke albeit United beat Rijkard Barcelona. Each time they face a well organised team with a great defence they struggle and his lack of plan B has been shown up somewhat. They have played winning football for the most part but has little variety with a poor defence that is rarely tested.

Guardiola has done great things for Barcelona but have never considered him to be a great manager.

Controversial but I don't think Chelsea's performance was all that great. It was a great achievement and their desire and application was fantastic but over 180 minutes they gave up a staggering 41 attempts on goal (1 shot less than every 5 minutes) with Barcelona hitting the woodwork 5 times, having one cleared off the line, missing a penalty, plenty of good opportunities and only had 20% possession.

Inter confined Barcelona to 20 shots over two legs and played 60 minutes with 10 men, only conceding with 5 minutes of play left.

United restricted (an admittedly less good) Barcelona to 23 attempts.

Both Inter and united managed more possession and shots than Chelsea and gave up less clear cut chances, whilst United avoided conceding.

It was brilliant, dramatic and will never be forgotten - I just don't but this rating of the quality.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:32 pm

Chelsea played in a different way to Inter and United though and did limit Barcelona to a lot of relatively long range efforts which they don't usually do.

I'm probably in the minority but think that Rijkards Barcelona were a better team, far more dynamic with Ronaldinho and Eto'o than they are now, more strings to their bow and gave the impression they could score at any time against anyone.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:48 pm

I think Rjikard's Barcelona were more exciting to watch, but not as effective. They were no way near as dominant in Spain and across Europe under Rjikard.

Monty, you're right about Enrique, only just realised that. I think the points still stand though, he would still go a similar route as Guardiola.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:49 pm

I've said it for a while now. Take Ronaldo out of Madrid and they'll carry on but take Messi out of Barca and they'll struggle. I think injuries have hit them badly. Villa's broken leg has left them short of a realy threat up front that can hold the ball up for them. Pedro has been average this season and they are aging at the back. I think the Barca team needs a bit of work on it but they are still a force to be reckoned with. It might be the right time for Pep to walk away. He could hardly achieve anything more with them.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:56 pm

Crimey wrote:I think Rjikard's Barcelona were more exciting to watch, but not as effective. They were no way near as dominant in Spain and across Europe under Rjikard.

Monty, you're right about Enrique, only just realised that. I think the points still stand though, he would still go a similar route as Guardiola.

I think that can be countered by the strength of the other teams in europe at the time.

United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, AC Milan, Juventus and Lyon were all stronger teams and a threat to anyone even the likes of Eindhoven, Porto and Inter Milan could give anyone a stern test

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:57 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Chelsea played in a different way to Inter and United though and did limit Barcelona to a lot of relatively long range efforts which they don't usually do.

I'm probably in the minority but think that Rijkards Barcelona were a better team, far more dynamic with Ronaldinho and Eto'o than they are now, more strings to their bow and gave the impression they could score at any time against anyone.

I would say Barca created more clear cut chances in this tie than either of the ones mentioned, they just missed them.

The 2009 team that still had Eto'o was superior imo but I did enjoy watching the 2006 side more, less successful and dominant but had that spontaneous ability to score out of nothing.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:30 pm

Any version of Barcelona with Eto'o was better than the current version, biggest mistake Guardiola ever made was getting rid of him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:34 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Any version of Barcelona with Eto'o was better than the current version, biggest mistake Guardiola ever made was getting rid of him.

Probably more than footballing issues, eto was on huge money and a big ego- the last of the supposed big time Charlies from rikjards team.

Incredible player though.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 27 Apr 2012, 9:56 am

I like his reasons for leaving, he admits that the club and what he demands as a manager burns him and his players out, and the high levels can only be maintained under him for so long and then it's time for a change. If you look at the difference in him from 4 years ago to now, he has aged a hell of a lot.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:04 am

I do wonder how much a break would affect his momentum as manager. I can think of Strachan and O'Neil who took breaks from football and it took them a couple of seasons to really get going again. I do wonder if Guardiola has the patience to stick at a managerial career. Where he has achieved so much a club level makes the motivation that much more difficult to uphold.

If I was a betting man I think he may end up as Spain coach after Del Bosque.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:27 am

He's gone.

Just confirmed by Reuters.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 27 Apr 2012, 2:10 pm

So is Pep actually gone or going at the end of the season?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 27 Apr 2012, 2:59 pm

Going at the end of the season, to be replaced by his assistant Tito Vilanova.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:07 pm

I wonder if he would still have gone if Barca had won the Champions League or La Liga this year.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:25 pm

Hero wrote:I wonder if he would still have gone if Barca had won the Champions League or La Liga this year.
Erm... yes. One or two months ago he implied the pressure was too much.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 27 Apr 2012, 6:23 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
Hero wrote:I wonder if he would still have gone if Barca had won the Champions League or La Liga this year.
Erm... yes. One or two months ago he implied the pressure was too much.

He's said the pressure is too much since pretty much day one, hence the one year rolling contracts

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down