The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool

+12
Eyetoldyouso
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Josiah Maiestas
newballs
TopHat24/7
Crimey
sodhat
Kenny
hampo17
Gordy
cherriesfna
GSC
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool  Empty Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool

Post by GSC Wed 16 May 2012, 4:15 pm

https://twitter.com/#!/DickinsonTimes/status/202778741624143873
https://twitter.com/#!/Matt_Lawton_DM/status/202777054926737408

Rafa, Martinez?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool  Empty Re: Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool

Post by GSC Wed 16 May 2012, 4:24 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18073446
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool  Empty Re: Dalglish reportedly close to leaving Liverpool

Post by cherriesfna Wed 16 May 2012, 4:25 pm

good bring in rafa
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 16 May 2012, 4:25 pm

I think Daglish should do the honourable thing and leave himself rather than potentially wreaking havoc with the fans and those inside the club that would not see him sacked due to his affiliation with the club. I posted on another thread that its my belief Daglish would have been sacked had he been another manager, given the league form and the money invested. Personally I dont rate the League Cup as a competition, although that may have saved him.

I imagine Benetiz would be the popular choice with the fans but I think it would be a mistake looking at the squad there. I think they should look to a British manager like O'Neil or Curbishly.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 16 May 2012, 4:28 pm

Don't see why Rafa would be a poor choice, can't argue with his results. He made us a top four team, won the champions league and made the final two years later. Rafas big problem is that he wasn't backed by the owners, people will always say look at what he spent, but infact he had to sell to buy which is never a good starting point.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 16 May 2012, 4:32 pm

I dont think Benetiz will have much to spend should he return and I do not think he is the man to get the best out of the current squad.

I think Beneitz was a good manager for European knock style competition but I was never sold on his league form or tactics.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 16 May 2012, 4:42 pm

Still not confirmed by Liverpool FC as to the details of Kenny leaving , statement is due shortly .

Rafa is NOT the answer .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 16 May 2012, 4:43 pm

Gordy wrote:I dont think Benetiz will have much to spend should he return and I do not think he is the man to get the best out of the current squad.

I think Beneitz was a good manager for European knock style competition but I was never sold on his league form or tactics.

didnt rafa get them to 2nd
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 16 May 2012, 4:47 pm

cherriesfan wrote:
Gordy wrote:I dont think Benetiz will have much to spend should he return and I do not think he is the man to get the best out of the current squad.

Yes he did , but he always put the CL 1st we should of won the league the year we finished 2nd but Rafa insisted on playing weakened teams against the likes of Portsmouth rather then going for it .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 16 May 2012, 4:50 pm

Who is the answer then KK? Personally I don't think Martinez is, yes he finished the season well but spent most of it in a relegation dog fight. Can he handle a club like Liverpool?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 16 May 2012, 4:52 pm

hampo171 wrote:Who is the answer then KK? Personally I don't think Martinez is, yes he finished the season well but spent most of it in a relegation dog fight. Can he handle a club like Liverpool?

You mean a mid-table team Whistle

That was a joke before anyone jumps on it!

I think he's a good manager and possibly worth a gamble, but would he get time to bed in and work? I imagine Liverpool's board being impatient for success and that a higher profile man may be approached.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 16 May 2012, 4:53 pm

I think we're getting into serious danger now in terms of our managers, we're normally very stable with our managers but have had three different manager in three different years now and that is not good at all. I can only hope whoever FSG have in mind is a long-term option and they will stick with them through thick and thin for at least the next two seasons, within reason.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 16 May 2012, 4:53 pm

BBC seem to suggest it's confirmed, he's ran with his tail between his legs.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed 16 May 2012, 4:56 pm

Anybody would think Liverpool were a half decent team given the number of their players Roy has in his squad.

Perhaps it's more a case of "he who laughs last, laughs longest"

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 16 May 2012, 4:57 pm

cherriesfan wrote:

In six seasons there.....

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 16 May 2012, 4:58 pm

Gordy wrote:
cherriesfan wrote:

The last time before he got there that we had finished second was the 01-02 season, and we hadn't really challenged the league for a number of years. Rafa has got us closest to a Premier League title than any manager since 1990.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 16 May 2012, 5:00 pm

I have said for a number of years that Martin O'Neil would be my choice as manager , however i dont think he will get the job .

Lots of rumours already going about i have had 50 odd text so far ,Louis van Gaal is being mention alot , Martinez im willing to give a go to he handles himself well and seems to have a little arrogance about him .

I just hope that its not a long drawn out thing and a new manager is in place soon so they can start the team rebuilding
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 16 May 2012, 5:04 pm

Crimey wrote:
Gordy wrote:
cherriesfan wrote:

The last time before he got there that we had finished second was the 01-02 season, and we hadn't really challenged the league for a number of years. Rafa has got us closest to a Premier League title than any manager since 1990.

Yes but his average placing in the league was about 4th. I also think there is a tendancy to forget the circumstances in which he left, his success since leaving, the current squad available and the likely money available to spend.

I think it would a conservative appointment and one not likely to be successful. I think Benitex is a good tactician in Europe, but domestically in the English Premiership I think his success was only mixed.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 16 May 2012, 5:04 pm

O'Neill would a great appointment I think.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 16 May 2012, 5:05 pm

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:I have said for a number of years that Martin O'Neil would be my choice as manager , however i dont think he will get the job .

Lots of rumours already going about i have had 50 odd text so far ,Louis van Gaal is being mention alot , Martinez im willing to give a go to he handles himself well and seems to have a little arrogance about him .

I just hope that its not a long drawn out thing and a new manager is in place soon so they can start the team rebuilding

Think MO'N is an excellent manager and would be good for you. Be interesting to see how he gets on if given a Kenny budget too as he's never had that before.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 16 May 2012, 5:07 pm

Not sure O'Neill would walk about after 6 months for a job that probably isn't miles better than Sunderland at present.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 5:09 pm

Bit brutal I have to say.

Capello perhaps?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Wed 16 May 2012, 5:11 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Not sure O'Neill would walk about after 6 months for a job that probably isn't miles better than Sunderland at present.

Perhaps you are right but Im sure the rich history and prestige of the club would tempt him. I also think the squad available is better and the kind of squad that O'Neill would do well with.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 16 May 2012, 5:11 pm

Brian McDermott from Reading OK

He's got a Scottish sounding name too, so would be welcome unlike English Hodgson!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 16 May 2012, 5:12 pm

I dunno, had to have had a part in the spending.

And really handled the Suarez affair poorly
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 5:14 pm

Villas-Boas 10/1???

:facepalm:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 16 May 2012, 5:17 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Villas-Boas 10/1???

:facepalm:

Thought hed agreed to take over at Roma ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 16 May 2012, 5:21 pm

I really hope Steve Clark is kept on no matter who takes over , as i like him as a coach
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 16 May 2012, 5:23 pm

Problem we’ve got now is that we’ve got no manager, no chief exec, no director of football and no communications director so who the Flip is gonna run the search for a new manager???

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 16 May 2012, 5:24 pm

Yes but his average placing in the league was about 4th.

Which is about the same as the past 15 before he arrived, except Rafa also brought us a Champions League, an FA Cup, competing for the Premier League, a Champions League final...

I don't think he should be brought back, but I think there is a tendency for people to forget exactly how much he brought.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 5:25 pm

Clarke is a super coach.

I think when you see the names linked, you feel slightly underwhelmed for such a big club.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 5:26 pm

I don't think Martinez should be in the frame this time round - Wigan's early to mid season form was dreadful, and he hasn't had any experience managing a large club.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 16 May 2012, 5:26 pm

AVB wouldn't be a bad shout, back him with some funds and let him bring in young talent from abroad.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 16 May 2012, 5:29 pm

Won't lie I took the odds of 12/1 on AVB
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 5:36 pm

A manager like Alan Curbishley would give Liverpool stability and year on year growth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 16 May 2012, 5:37 pm

Nore Staat wrote:A manager like Alan Curbishley would give Liverpool stability and year on year growth.

Deja vuuuu.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 16 May 2012, 5:46 pm

Heard 1 fan on TalkSport mention Guardiola for the managers job Laugh
atleast be REALISTIC!!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Wed 16 May 2012, 5:46 pm

Marcelo Bielsa, please. But he might be considered to be a bit too old.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 May 2012, 5:49 pm

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Won't lie I took the odds of 12/1 on AVB

There has been a lot of movement on the exchanges with AVB and it's mainly been upwards. Alan Curbsihley is 100/1 with Betfair for anybody interested in wasting some money!

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 16 May 2012, 5:59 pm

KingKenny7Heaven wrote:I really hope Steve Clark is kept on no matter who takes over , as i like him as a coach

He has resigned with Kenny.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 16 May 2012, 6:00 pm

Key appointment here I feel.

Liverpool are sliding fast, and they just blew a lot of money on what appear to be average players.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 16 May 2012, 6:36 pm

Crimey wrote:
KingKenny7Heaven wrote:I really hope Steve Clark is kept on no matter who takes over , as i like him as a coach

He has resigned with Kenny.

big loss for liverpool imo, very good defence coach and no concidence that liverpools defence has improved while he's been there

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 16 May 2012, 7:17 pm

AVB down to 7/1

Very Happy
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 16 May 2012, 8:40 pm

Now 3/1.

Punt on 12/1 seems good at this point Smile
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 16 May 2012, 8:51 pm

Kenny was a bad choice and if he had been anyone else would have been out on his ear earlier. At least this way his reputation as king kenny should be safe. If he had been given another season with similar results then that could have been severley tarnished. Don't think people should turn their noses up at Martinez in a hurry. I get the feeling the club he eventually moves on to will will get a fine manager and progress well. Sometimes youth and inexperience needs a try. Wigan kept faith and he pulled of the impossible twice.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 16 May 2012, 8:59 pm

As I say AVB dropped from 12/1 to 3/1 and around the same odds as Martinez.

Rafa seems a no go from all accounts at this point.

AVB would be a good appointment imo, guy didn't have the backing for Abramovitch to back down the vet players in that locker room. At Porto he took them on an unbeaten season iirc, and dominated the Europa League
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 16 May 2012, 9:24 pm

wouldn't be a bad choice. he would have to change his stance with the media though! I think dropping Lampard was his biggest mistake though. Can you imagine the fallout if he dropped gerrard!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 16 May 2012, 9:35 pm

sod the fall-out, Liverpool play better without him, it would be the right thing to do.

(this is based on analysis by one of the top sports writers, think from the Guardian, who showed how much better the rest of the midfield in particular play without Gerrard there - based on the theory that superman is too maverick and players find it harder to fit/play in a system with him)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 16 May 2012, 10:31 pm

I think it's due to with the fact that the rest of the midfielders try less hard when Gerrard on the pitch, the mentality appears to be pass to Gerrard and hope he does something.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 16 May 2012, 11:11 pm

Find it strange how Spearing can get in the Liverpool team even with Lucas out injured, it's like ManU buying a 3rd division utility midfielder and putting him in Scholes place..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next