The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cipriani contract terminated

+12
HammerofThunor
GunsGerms
Portnoy
timhen
formerly known as Sam
marty2086
sirtidychris
Mr Bounce
RubyGuby
doctor_grey
mcrjfNo7
hugehandoff
16 posters

Go down

Cipriani contract terminated Empty Cipriani contract terminated

Post by hugehandoff Mon 30 Apr 2012, 11:57 am

The news that Danny and the Rebels have mutually agreed to terminate his contract with immediate consent is not excatly great for the young lad. With the Rebels in the middle of their season and missing key players through injury you would have thought that DC would have seen out his contract. Does not exactly sound good for DC that the Rebels would rather he leave than stay and help them out? Does anyone know anymore on this story?

Maybe he wants to free himself up for Summer tour to SA?

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Cipriani contract terminated Empty Re: Cipriani contract terminated

Post by mcrjfNo7 Mon 30 Apr 2012, 12:40 pm

Maybe the rebels would rather have him go now and not play the other games half-heartedly. They are not doing that well and I don't think DC will help them any with his current form.

With regards to the SA tour I doubt that DC will be going as he is not up to scratch (compared to his competition) and will not displcace anyone in such a short period of time.

I would think the most likely reasoning is that he would like to attend the pre-season training at Sale and so has come to a mutual agreement to leave the Rebels now rather than later. He hasn't done particularly well in Aus and I don't think they will miss him much.

mcrjfNo7

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 30 Apr 2012, 1:12 pm

Like everything else, the story will come out, sooner or later. I thought he was starting to play better and I saw a couple of matches in which he played fine. It wouldn't surprise me if the lad was a bit homesick.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 30 Apr 2012, 1:46 pm

Maybe they could get Henson in as a direct swap - one Rebel for another Yahoo Run

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 30 Apr 2012, 1:50 pm

I think it was a combined struggle with being away from home and also his desire to get back into the England squad, thus wanting to be ready for Sale's pre-season training. It'll be interesting to see how Sale use him as a defender - I think that provided he finds his form and shows some attacking brilliance he might give Stuart Lancaster something to think about.

However that is all subject to how he conducts himself off the field. I think (hope) he realises that SL will not stand for any silliness, so his return could be low-key, allowing his rugby to do the talking.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Mon 30 Apr 2012, 2:46 pm

All valid points, but of course if his on field contribution was better then the Rebels would not want to lose him. He left with his tail between his legs and he is returning that way as well. Hopefully he will get his career back on track at Sale. I really thought he would do well on the hard surfaces, but the Rebels pack has been poor and playing off the back foot is not really his forte.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Mon 30 Apr 2012, 2:52 pm

There is nooooo way Cips is making the summer tour....why you ask...well apart from him not being good enough to oust flood, farrell, hodgson etc.. Mike Catt is no way going to agree to having him in the squad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-1160747/Catt-slams-Ciprianis-arrogance-Wasps-stars-handshake-snub.html

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 30 Apr 2012, 3:15 pm

Cipriani is the perfect example of where hype gets you, he was never great at Wasps jut showed glimpses of it and from what I seen at Rebels he never did much always seemed to just go through the motions and never seemed willing to attack when he should and was not big on defending

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 30 Apr 2012, 3:19 pm

The problem with Cipriani is there is always an issue. Somewhere and somehow. Now this, whatever it really is. He can't simply finish his contract out in Melbourne. Something had to happen. Even if he turns out to be blameless here, he is still stigmatised by something not going properly. Shame for him. But he is getting real close to the Last Chance Saloon.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 30 Apr 2012, 3:21 pm

If only his father was one of the coaches Wink

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 30 Apr 2012, 3:34 pm

If only his father was one of the coaches
laughing

There is nooooo way Cips is making the summer tour....why you ask...well apart from him not being good enough to oust flood, farrell, hodgson etc.. Mike Catt is no way going to agree to having him in the squad

Lancaster and Rowntree are hardly the type to put up with him either, can you imagine Rowntree's reaction is Cips turned up late and hungover for training? He'd go Josh Lewsey on him and then make him run until he vomitted. Cips is just not required at the minute, England have experienced options in Flood and Hodgson (Flood is still only 26) who both have good all round games and they also have two young 10s with AP experience in Burns and Farrell who have weaknesses but also serious strengths and just to put Cips really down the list they also have the IRB Young Player of the Year coming through and looking classy. That's not mentioning the 3 or so other under 20s fly halves that are coming through and getting game time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Mon 30 Apr 2012, 3:39 pm

http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2012/rugby/story/163459.html

Danny Cipriani is to leave the Melbourne Rebels with immediate effect after both parties agreed to terminate his contract.

Cipriani was set to leave the team at the end of the current Super Rugby campaign in August after signing a three-year deal with English side Sale last month, but in a surprise move he has been released early from his contract and will return home ahead of the new Premiership season.

In a statement released by the Rebels, Cipriani stressed that his desire to add to his seven England caps was the overriding factor in his decision. "I want to thank the club for being so understanding with my wishes and granting me a release to return to England," said the 24-year-old. "I've made no secret of my desire to play for England again and I believe leaving now will give me the best opportunity to do that.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in Melbourne at the Rebels. I've made some lifelong friends, played in front of an incredible set of fans in an amazing stadium, and improved my game playing in one of the best provincial rugby competitions in the world.

"I feel I have developed my game in my time in Australia and become a more complete player. I wish the Rebels every success in the future and should the opportunity ever arise again I would not hesitate to return."

Cipriani, the first England international to join an Australian Super Rugby team, had a troubled first year with Melbourne in 2011 and was sidelined for a month due to off-field disciplinary issues.

However, he appeared more settled this season, seemingly relishing his growing combination with Australia internationals James O'Connor and Kurtley Beale, although injury problems have prevented him earning a consistent run in the Rebels team.

He was retained for this season despite the arrival of star Wallabies backs James O'Connor and Kurtley Beale. But even with O'Connor ruled out until June due to liver damage, the club have opted to pay out the remainder of Cipriani's contract, with eight rounds of the regular season remaining.

Rebels chief executive Steve Boland offered his thanks to Cipriani who played 19 games for the Rebels, scoring a club record 122 points. "Danny goes with our blessing and we thank him for his contribution to our club during his time here," he said. "Essentially the time is right for both parties to part company, the decision is amicable and we wish him all the best for the future."

Head coach Damien Hill was also happy to help Cipriani in his quest for more international honours. "When we signed Danny we were always aware of his ambitions to return to the English national team and we have always been supportive of helping him achieve his goals," said Hill. "Danny believes that leaving now will give him the best chance to prepare for the long season ahead with Sale."

The news was also welcomed by Sale chief executive Steve Diamond, who said in a statement: "This is great news for Sale Sharks. Danny will be able to enjoy a rest period, along with his future playing colleagues at the club. He will also be able to take part in full close season preparations under our Head of Performance Nigel Ashley-Jones. Danny is really looking forward to joining our club, and is keen to be involved in meeting the fans during the close season."

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 30 Apr 2012, 3:45 pm

I think he should stop worrying about his place in the England squad. He is miles away at the moment. He needs at least one consistent top quality season at Sale before being considered, and probably more. And, its possible he won't be considered at all.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 30 Apr 2012, 4:11 pm

Cips is what (I'm guessing and not googling it here) 25?

So assuming he comes back and serves some time with Sale, he may be able if he plays spectacularly well domestically and given 'fortuitous' injuries to the English squad, it may be be possible for him to get a bench shot in the 6Ns - assuming that some new , younger pretenders don't play equally as well and get the nod.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 30 Apr 2012, 4:33 pm

It would be good to see Cips behind the Saracens pack - I bet he would get the line moving and create some gaps with his natural flair. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 30 Apr 2012, 4:46 pm

Port,
Unless all the 10s in England are injured or in jail, all the way down to George Ford, I don't think Cipriani has a ghost of a chance at the 6 Nations. He needs to prove himself over a longer period of time both on and off the pitch. Between now and next year's 6Nations is too little time, for me at least.

And if every 10 in England is somehow incapacitated, I would guess Lancaster and the crew would recruit out of retirement that bloke living the life down in Toulon first (and he has a real tan.........).

Last edited by doctor_grey on Mon 30 Apr 2012, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 30 Apr 2012, 5:00 pm

So assuming he comes back and serves some time with Sale, he may be able if he plays spectacularly well domestically and given 'fortuitous' injuries to the English squad, it may be be possible for him to get a bench shot in the 6Ns - assuming that some new , younger pretenders don't play equally as well and get the nod.

Issues for Cips are that the two first choice 10s are Hodgson and Flood but their back ups are Farrell and Ford two highly promising English 10s so an injury to either or both would not see him instantly move up the pecking order especially as Burns who is similar to Cips style is far more reliable as well as working hard at Gloucester.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 30 Apr 2012, 5:15 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Port,
Unless all the 10s in England are injured or in jail, all the way down to George Ford, I don't think Cipriani has a ghost of a chance at the 6 Nations. He needs to prove himself over a longer period of time both on and off the pitch. Between now and next year's 6Nations is too little time, for me at least.

And if every 10 in England is somehow incapacitated, I would guess Lancaster and the crew would recruit out of retirement that bloke living the life down in Toulon first (and he has a real tan.........).

More or less what I was suggesting Doc.

And let youngsters be made aware of Gav and Danny et al that in order to to become a megastar, you have to serve your serve your time as a young talent, then a popular star, then an icon and then (if they are really special) you'll deserve all the celebrity that they are seeking.
(By which time by the way, they'll be most likely fed up with celebrity and fame and wish it would go away).
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 30 Apr 2012, 6:19 pm

We absolutely agree. I think it is harder for young athletes these days as there is a lot of money and media attention thrown at them early when they show the potential combination of talent and that hard to define star power. And with Rugby a growing sport, but still retaining the connection to the fans and grass roots, there is even a bit more attention on our lads.
Portnoy wrote:And let youngsters be made aware of Gav and Danny et al that in order to to become a megastar, you have to serve your serve your time as a young talent, then a popular star, then an icon and then (if they are really special) you'll deserve all the celebrity that they are seeking.
(By which time by the way, they'll be most likely fed up with celebrity and fame and wish it would go away).
I think Jonny is quite happy in his semi-retirement in Toulon, exactly as you say: Away from that celebrity and fame.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 30 Apr 2012, 8:35 pm

If he keeps his head down and his mouth shut he should pick up some more caps. Well at least if Hodgson, Foode and Vesty are good enough then with the right attitude he will too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 30 Apr 2012, 8:44 pm

Did you know that Cipriani is only one year older than Sexton was when he became first choice at Leinster? He's got a lot of ground to make up but if he properly applies himself their no reason he can't make it back towards the top of his game.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Tue 01 May 2012, 8:55 am

cips should not tour SA, it would send out the wrong message.

But i see no reason why, if his form is good enough, he shouldnt be considered for next years 6 nations.

the best 10's in the prem this season are prob evans and mieres, flood has looked good since his return, farrell and hodgeson have been consistenly solid. Burns, lamb and myler have been inconsistent. Heathcote and ford need more game time at AP level before they can be considered at full test level IMO.

so, if cips starts regulrly and plays well next season at sale I see no reason why he wont climb that list pretty quickly.

it will be interesting to see if he is up to it.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Tue 01 May 2012, 10:00 am

the great thing about playing your club rugby back in England is that if he does string together a series of good performances (7/8 games) then he will at least be knocking on the door. Currently he would be about 8th choice, or worse, but a run of good performances and things can quickly change.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 01 May 2012, 10:53 am

Thing is Lancaster did go and see him before this years 6 nations, which suggests he wants him back.
Putting cipriani in the team would require a fundamental change in Englands back play from the way they approached this years 6 nations, where the fly halfs duties were to kick and tackle. Ciprianis strengths are his running and dancing.
It doest hurt to have the option, and if the story that he left early to focus on the english season is true then that cant be bad news. Id be raising eyebrows at Lancaster if he does pick him for the summer tour but theres no reason once hes shown hes dedicated, his heads in the right pace and that he has the all round game required then he shouldnt be back in contention...but what Ive seen and heardofo his exploits down under hes not at that point yet. Still questions over his application and general behaviour as well as his willingness to do the dirty work.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 01 May 2012, 11:11 am

where the fly halfs duties were to kick and tackle. Ciprianis strengths are his running and dancing.

Cipriani does have a good and quite hefty left boot. His tackling is his only major weakness, well that and his concentration as he does seem to get bored quickly. England are likely to develop their game as that kick and chase rubbish shoved out in the 6N will not suffice against SA and now the defensive patterns and set pieces are working there will be more time to concentrate on attack.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 01 May 2012, 1:16 pm

marty2086 wrote:Cipriani is the perfect example of where hype gets you, he was never great at Wasps jut showed glimpses of it and from what I seen at Rebels he never did much always seemed to just go through the motions and never seemed willing to attack when he should and was not big on defending

In the 07/08 season at Wasps he was outstanding, including that game against Ireland. Broke his ankle in the Premiership Semi-Final and it was after that that his form dropped.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by wasps Tue 01 May 2012, 3:06 pm

I'm going to start this post by saying that I agree that Cipriani shouldn't be picked for the Summer tour, and the AI's are potentially too soon to be able to gauge his current form.....

BUT... .let's stop making stuff up about the guy.

He's had a reputation for being a little arrogant, and being a bit cocky.
He also had a problem when he broke a curfew which lost him his first England cap.
And then had a problem in Australia where he was drunk and helped himself to a drink.
The rest of the time, he was always in the press coz they took pictures of him having a respectable night out with his then girlfriend.

There's hardly anything shocking there.... especially when you remember that the incident that cost him his first cap, had nothing to do with him being out drinking.... if I recall, it was agreed that he hadn't been out for more than an hour... and only to take some tickets to a friend.

When you compare these incidents to those that Danny Care has fallen foul of, they suddenly seem very minor.

I don't remember any confirmed reports of Cips turning up late to training, or hungover.
These are just the type of things that people assume Cipriani does as a matter of course.
In actual fact, I remember lots of his team mates always saying that he used to be one of the hardest trainers out there.... always out early, and staying late.

As for England, unless they decide they want to change their approach completely and have a very wide, fast game, then I can't see Cipriani getting near the side, regardless of his form.

As for leaving the Rebels, it has been stated in an official release that the Rebels want to start building for next year, and Cipriani wants to prepare for the next season.
That may be a simple cover up of the real issues, however it seems reasonable.
When there is no relegation in the league, the final games of the season really don't matter much and it's easy to start preparing half way through the season.

And as for friends etc... he seems to get on very well with the rest of the Rebels team especially O'Connor.
His twitter feed is always full of numerous posts with them all having a good time together.

wasps

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 01 May 2012, 4:45 pm

If the OP had just put "by mutual consent" after the title then the thread would have a very different slant - Talented player, let's see what he brings to the table thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Tue 01 May 2012, 5:43 pm

RubyGuby wrote:If the OP had just put "by mutual consent" after the title then the thread would have a very different slant - Talented player, let's see what he brings to the table thumbsup

Of course this information was not available when I first posted this. But I think Wasps is a bit naive to believe the official Rebels statement. Preparing for the next Sale season....oh come on they have not even finished this one! He would be much better off playing some competitive matches against some of the best players in the world. But as the Rebels clearly assessed his contribution as being unimportant they agreed to release him. He has not covered himself in glory.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down