The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cipriani at 13

+10
Hood83
dummy_half
bluestonevedder
tooboredtowork
Comfort
flankertye
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
offload
formerly known as Sam
tom_watson
14 posters

Go down

Cipriani at 13 Empty Cipriani at 13

Post by tom_watson Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:17 pm

With James O'Connor flourished at 10 for the Wallabies, Cipriani does not look a dead cert to start for the Rebels at 10, we all know Cipriani can play as well if not better at full back, however Kurtley Beale is likely to occupy that spot for the Rebels.

So it got me thinking, why not give Cipriani a run out at outside centre. Defensively this may look like a massive error, however his tackling as witnessed against the Aussies is getting better and there is no better way than getting Cipriani experience defensively than in the outside centre channel. With Phipps at 9 O'Connor at 10 and Mortlock at 12; inside him the defence will be rock solid.

It is in attack where Cipriani at 13 would do the most damage. His blistering pace will enable him to take players on around the outside, whilst his offloading and distribution skills will enable to keep the ball active, and free up attackers.

There is also the option of interchanging Cipriani and O'Conner at 10 during the game which will keep the defenders on their toes. Add Kurtley Beale into the mix, who is also an outstanding fly half when he covers there.

What do you think?

tom_watson

Back to top Go down

Cipriani at 13 Empty Re: Cipriani at 13

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:30 pm

Cipriani and JOC might play right and left just to give the 9 two play making options off of nearly every phase. More likely they'll line up one of two more conventional ways though;

10.Cips
12.JOC - apparently his favourite position
13.Mortlock

or

10.JOC
12.Mortlock

21.Cips

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Sounds to me like the boy is out of his depth in that company - perhaps he should move on make the bench his own.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:49 am

Crash ball option?

It would be a waste of his kicking and expose his physicality more than 10 or 15 doers where he can to some extent be hidden and not required as a first line against rampaging 17 stone centers and flankers. Is he that importnat and skilled a player that the rebels would want to have him on the pitch just for the sake of it?
If 10 12 and 15 are firmaly taken then whats wrong with the bench?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:01 am

I'd personally love to see him line up opposite Fruean.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:21 am

Thats right, put him at 13 in a league that contains some of the most physical and destructive centres in the world. That'll be good for him.

Wink

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by tooboredtowork Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:26 am

Saw him play at 10 for the Rebels end of season tour. He was Dreadful with a capitol D.

tooboredtowork

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:38 am

Thats right, put him at 13 in a league that contains some of the most physical and destructive centres in the world. That'll be good for him.

You laugh but that's what the Rebels did mid way through the season to stop the opposition using a crash ball option straight down the 10 channel every phase.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:42 am

I think if Rebels were to play Cips in the centre, wouldn't it make more sense to play him at 12 and O'connor at 13? Playing him at 12 allows him to use his kicking and tactical game, whereas O'Connor's superior defence and running game (despite being smaller than Cips!) would be far better...

Either way, not convinced of Cips in the centre, either 10, 15 or bench option I think!

He reeeeeally needs to work on his defence, it's abysmal. Makes O'gara look like an enforcer.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:45 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:

You laugh but that's what the Rebels did mid way through the season to stop the opposition using a crash ball option straight down the 10 channel every phase.

Did they win many of those games?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:46 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:

So they didn't really play him at 13 then, they just stopped playing him at 10. I suppose he had to stand somewhere. Laugh
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:52 am

Well he played 10 in attack and defended at 13. Same as playing 13 in defence, he made a pigs ear of it by being pulled out of the line all to easily.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:48 am

I never understood Cipriani's aversion to tackling - unlike ROG and Parks, he's plenty big enough and as he occasionally showed when playing at 15 his technique isnt bad (he stopped a runaway Tuilagi in a play-off match iirc). He just seems to consider the physical side of the game as something the other players do.

In fact I'd say he's the absolute opposite of ROG, who simply can't tackle but always puts himself in the way to slow opponents down in the hope his back row friends will be able to get there and bring the ball carrier down.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:39 am

Wouldnt it have just been easier to put the actual bench on at 13 or sign Joe Worsely to play alongside him?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:04 am

I'm someone who desperately wanted Cips to kick in and felt his attacking game at Wasps really was special.

But his tackling is beyond abysmal, it is truly truly pathetic. Basically, he's scared. It's clearly a completely mental thing and frankly, physical cowardice is not something i can see being hidden on a rugby pitch. The worst of it is his tackling seems to be worse everytime i see him. For the Baabaas the other day his entire performance was tripe.

I'd like him to come good and improve, but for England, he's done as far as i'm concerned

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:21 am

Its a joke we still talk about this arrogant, egotistical wannabe celebrity scrotum...he is so devoid of the mental characteristics required to be a decent international, he's only playing because James Hilgendorf got injured he shouldn't even be compared to O'connor and Beale. I remember watching a game where he literally jumped out of the way of Radike Samo actually made a massive effort to avoid tacking him.

Katie Price, fighting with his team mates wasps, england rebels (wherever he goes !!), being disrespectful to past greats (mike catt) going to clubs before internationals training with mk dons, the new bacheolor ?....he's a massive waste of space....move on england we have toby flood for the length of Cips career anyway then tonnes of young talent coming through.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:14 am

sirtidychris wrote:Its a joke we still talk about this arrogant, egotistical wannabe celebrity scrotum...he is so devoid of the mental characteristics required to be a decent international, he's only playing because James Hilgendorf got injured he shouldn't even be compared to O'connor and Beale. I remember watching a game where he literally jumped out of the way of Radike Samo actually made a massive effort to avoid tacking him.

Katie Price, fighting with his team mates wasps, england rebels (wherever he goes !!), being disrespectful to past greats (mike catt) going to clubs before internationals training with mk dons, the new bacheolor ?....he's a massive waste of space....move on england we have toby flood for the length of Cips career anyway then tonnes of young talent coming through.

laughing

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:43 pm

he occasionally showed when playing at 15 his technique isnt bad (he stopped a runaway Tuilagi in a play-off match iirc)

His side on tackling is actually very good, which is why he was an instant success at FB. He can use his pace to get momentum and has time to take aim. His head on style tackling is poor though, he over thinks and gets himself in bad positions and flops like a limpet.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:14 pm

I doubt it, may not have seen him play in a while but from the last few times he looks too fragile to effectively service midfield. Reality is, as offload put it, he's currently outmatched by those around him and not first choice for anyone he could play for.

You don't need the role for the player, you need the player for the role and Cipriani doesn't fit this category at present.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by tom_watson Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:49 pm

after everything that has been said how about...

01. R.Blake
02. G.Robinson
03. L.Weeks
04. H.Pyle
05. A.Byrnes
06. J.Saffy
07. M.Lipman
08. G.Delve

09. N.Phipps
10. K.Beale
11. C.Vuna
12. J.O'Connor
13. S.Mortlock
14. M.Gerrard
15. D.Cipriani

The Backs look pretty quality, a world class winger, second row, back row and loosehead prop is needed.

tom_watson

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:04 am

Rodzilla was good a few years ago but maybe not now, in that case may as try these old props.. Ben Darwin was good, and Alexander and Robinson used to be pretty good as well.. for one and a half season.

Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down