The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone else still mourn the demise of the old ScrumV board?

+8
Effervescing Elephant
Ozzy3213
SecretFly
Gibson
dogtooth
Notch
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Portnoy
12 posters

Go down

Does anyone else still mourn the demise of the old ScrumV board? Empty Does anyone else still mourn the demise of the old ScrumV board?

Post by Portnoy Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:46 am

Prior to BBC606 there used to be a ScrumV board on which a topic could be posted and tangential comments could be tracked by interest.

Each tangent could be followed by interest through a display indentation.

I still miss it. Progress always seems to me goes backwards.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Does anyone else still mourn the demise of the old ScrumV board? Empty Re: Does anyone else still mourn the demise of the old ScrumV board?

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:16 am

Portnoy wrote:Prior to BBC606 there used to be a ScrumV board on which a topic could be posted and tangential comments could be tracked by interest.

Portnoy, execute an about-face turn - it'll all seem so much better OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Does anyone else still mourn the demise of the old ScrumV board? Empty Re: Does anyone else still mourn the demise of the old ScrumV board?

Post by Notch Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:14 am

Well, it's not progress is it?

BBC used to provide message board services for sports fans. They now do not.

Instead the burden has fallen onto private users who don't have the same resources available to them. I think that we should be grateful we have anywhere to post at all after the BBC kicked 606 to the curb for good rather than whinging.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:28 am

Notch wrote:Well, it's not progress is it?

BBC used to provide message board services for sports fans. They now do not.

Instead the burden has fallen onto private users who don't have the same resources available to them. I think that we should be grateful we have anywhere to post at all after the BBC kicked 606 to the curb for good rather than whinging.

Which is not exactly the thrust of my argument. In fact it has sod-all to do with it.

V1 was always a different type of platform that differed significantly from ScrumV.

Due largely to the inappropriate actions of international bankers, and as such Auntie was required to cut her expenditure. V2 must have been one of the first Cameron 'Big Society' projects and has been welcomed and relatively successful - because it was created so far as possible in v1's image.

What I'm saying is that SV was better than V1.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:46 am

And I could say Betamax was better than VHS but it's a bit of a moot point nowadays.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:49 am

Notch wrote:And I could say Betamax was better than VHS but it's a bit of a moot point nowadays.

And V2000 was better than Betamx.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:01 am

i remember the old orange boards. i joined during the 05 6n, after henson beat england. what a time to join. it was a wild board.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:09 am

I miss The Famine. People are far too fat these days for my liking.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:19 am

Portnoy wrote:Prior to BBC606 there used to be a ScrumV board on which a topic could be posted and tangential comments could be tracked by interest.

I might miss it if I could follow what it is I should be missing! I can't quite visualise why ScrumV was better than 606. I'm not suggesting it wasn't better as I was reserving my rugby time to strictly watching it back in the ScrumV days; but I just can't visualise the 'tangential comments' and 'display indentations'? Maybe a more descriptive few lines on just what all that did might help me along.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:15 am

I miss the days when nostalgia was much better than it is now
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:20 am

Ah yes, those wert days. Proper manly days. Not like the namby-pamby days we have these days.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:49 pm

DOWN WITH 'THESE DAYS'!!!!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Gibson wrote:I miss The Famine. People are far too fat these days for my liking.

There are too many people on Earth. We need a new plague.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Gibson wrote:I miss The Famine. People are far too fat these days for my liking.

no need to worry about that gibbo, food production can't keep up with population growth, those times will soon return.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:30 pm

biltongbek wrote:

no need to worry about that gibbo, food production can't keep up with population growth, those times will soon return.

Erm - biltong. Coming from Africa, you really shouldn't engage in flippancy about famine.

Thomas Malthus identified 250-300 years ago that the threat at the margin was always going to be a cause of human disaster.

The fact that people who happen to live in the developed world and thereby are protected from the realities of the marginalised and yet find time to mock their unimaginable plight is neither clever nor funny.

And a light year away from the OP - was basically saying that 606v1 was worse than ScrumV.

Cheap shots don't assist intelligent debate.

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:00 pm

the way ScrumV displayed threads was better than 606 (and v2).

Many threads go down several routes. But if you want to follow the thread you have to wade through all comments.

A discussion about why Priestland was kicking for Scarlets and not Jones, included complete tangents such as whether Cari (or certain refs) like looking up players shorts. In the old ScrumV system these comments would effectively branch off - and if you wanted you could ignore that branch and stay on topic.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:42 pm

Tiger that sounds excellent.

So it would literally branch off on scree? Who was moderating it to do so much work.

Has anyone a screenshot?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:49 pm

Portnoy wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

Erm - biltong. Coming from Africa, you really shouldn't engage in flippancy about famine.

Thomas Malthus identified 250-300 years ago that the threat at the margin was always going to be a cause of human disaster.

The fact that people who happen to live in the developed world and thereby are protected from the realities of the marginalised and yet find time to mock their unimaginable plight is neither clever nor funny.

And a light year away from the OP - was basically saying that 606v1 was worse than ScrumV.

Cheap shots don't assist intelligent debate.

Portnoy, as you are the voice of reason, is what I said there incorrect in any way?

Is there not a global concern that food production cannot sustain the continuing population growth on earth?

I may have said it with a tongue in cheek attitude, but it isn't incorrect.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:02 am

red_stag wrote:Tiger that sounds excellent.

So it would literally branch off on scree? Who was moderating it to do so much work.

Has anyone a screenshot?

I have been on boards that use similar software (and technically I was a member of scrumv for a few months before it closed but can't remember much about it). So if you replied to someone's post your reply would appear below it, indented in a tree. Someone else's reply would be similarly indented, but a reply to you would appear under yours, indented again.

It can be useful. However from memory (based on feedback from the couple of boards I belonged to) the software wasn't especially cheap, and it generally gets used by organisations that own their own servers.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down