The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My boy caught his first fish

5 posters

Go down

My boy caught his first fish Empty My boy caught his first fish

Post by Biltong Sun 04 Mar 2012, 5:29 pm

I know this may not be spectacular news for you guys, but my boy caught 3 carps this weekend. He set his gear up himsrlf, cast into the dam himself and pulled them out all by himself.

They weren't huge, I would guess around 4 pounds, but he was a very happy young kid.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

My boy caught his first fish Empty Re: My boy caught his first fish

Post by Thomond Sun 04 Mar 2012, 5:38 pm

I'm not a huge fisher at all but there is something great about catching your first fish. Mine was a big haddock.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 04 Mar 2012, 6:14 pm

If you will pardon the pun he will be hooked now , i will never forget the first fish my son caught and how excited he was... it was only a small perch but that one fish gave me as much pleasure as any i have caught myself .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 04 Mar 2012, 6:39 pm

Very true, I mayself have lost the enjoyment of fishing quite some time ago. But the young ones bring you back to things you haven't really worried about for some time, living in the city isn't really conducive to that kond of hobby for me, I'd rather go riding my motorcycle on weekends, well I did until my son now started playing sport and is becoming a real boy.

They want adventure, they want to be active, so time is in high demand now.

He caught his first one early evening on Saturday and came running with the carp in his hand from the water's edge to me about 25 metres away, with the biggest smile on his face I have seen for some time.

As you say, a very proud moment. I actually though someone helped him, but then the guys confirmed that it was all him.

The most enetertaining part was the other 4 boys then took it as a challenge, and between the 4 of them they caught 10 carps the weekend.

My son loves watching Bear Grylls on ultimate survivor and he just wanted to eat a Frank Warren. I had to use all my debating and parenting skills to convince him we aren't desperate or desitute enough to go to those lengths.

He was telling me on the way back home today, his second fish gave him a BIG fight. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Mar 2012, 6:40 pm

my first fish was a perch lol..

now im only after carp and bigger fish lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:41 pm

Lovely stuff from the OP - I am hoping that my son may take the step of an unaided capture soon.

Pretty much the only sort of fishing I do is dry fly fishing and whilst I'd never say it's the most difficult sort of fishing (I am not a 'tactics' snob), I think it's very difficult to get a young 'un into a fish totally unaided for two main reasons: (a) the casting requires quite a lot of co-ordination and since you cast for a seen fish, not a lie or a swim, the presentation must be neat and accurate at the right time; and (b) with nearly all fly reels there's no 'anti-reverse' so you have to have the confidence to let go of the handle completely when the fish wants to go and also to know when to start reeling again to keep the pressure up.

Even so, there are one or two places where I fish when you can pop some bread in, so maybe this will be his year.....
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:41 pm

barry I was very surprised at the ease my son casted, I expected it to be difficult for him not to jerk when bringing it forward, but I guess what helped was that the rod wasn't too long, I haven't measured it but I would guess it is not longer than 7ft.

Maybe what assisted him was the fact that he has been playing cricket and the bowling action of bringing the arm through smoothly aids the action.

So if you are going to get your son to a place where he can just do normal casting with bread or dough then perhaps get him to bowl a few imaginary balls first. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 04 Apr 2012, 9:38 am

He wanted to eat a Frank Warren Laugh

Old Fish Ayes strikes again.

Nice article Biltongbek i also caught my first Carp at the weekend. Your word was filtered after a British boxing promoter who has weird eyes.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 04 Apr 2012, 9:40 am

Yeah, have to admit, I wondered why fish Ayes were filtered, there must be a story to it somewhere. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down