The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British boxer David Haye is suspected of grievous bodily harm after Dereck Chisora brawl, German police tell BBC Sport

+9
Kelvinj3
Steffan
ONETWOFOREVER
hogey
steven24
Enforcer
HERSH
The Galveston Giant
TopHat24/7
13 posters

Go down

British boxer David Haye is suspected of grievous bodily harm after Dereck Chisora brawl, German police tell BBC Sport  Empty British boxer David Haye is suspected of grievous bodily harm after Dereck Chisora brawl, German police tell BBC Sport

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

Details to follow hopefully, I will update when they come through.

Still, interesting that Chisora is let off and Haye is (possibly) to be charged with GBH. Can only think this is to do with the tripod - but as the victim was Haye's manager/trainer Booth I'm surprised they can bring charges (as presumably Booth won't press them).

Haye is suspected of grievous bodily harm - a crime which, if proven, carries a prison sentence of six months to 10 years, the prosecutor said.

Chisora is under suspicion of malicious injury, which carries a jail sentence of up to five years, and a "threat", a lesser offence punishable by a fine or imprisonment of up to one year.

Haye and Chisora clashed after Chisora's defeat by defending WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko on Saturday night.

Chisora and his trainer Don Charles were arrested at the city's airport before being released on Sunday evening.

Prosecutors say Haye left the country on a plane before he could be questioned by police. He could not be contacted for comment on Monday, while Chisora did not speak to journalists when he arrived back at London's Heathrow airport on Sunday night.

On top of a police investigation, the British Boxing Board of Control General Secretary, Robert Smith, says Haye and Chisora could face life bans from the sport.

"It's a possibility," Smith told BBC Radio 5 live. "The board have many powers. They can fine, they can suspend and they can withdraw a licence."

The British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) said a misconduct investigation had been opened into Chisora's "behaviour... prior, during and after" the Klitschko fight.

"A further statement will be issued once the stewards have decided on what action will be taken," the BBBofC said.

"With regard to Mr David Haye, Mr Haye is not a licensed boxer with the British Boxing Board of Control and therefore no longer under our jurisdiction."

Although Haye has retired from the sport, the board could choose to effectively ban him by denying him a licence if he seeks to fight again.

The scenes unfolded after Haye showed up at the news conference to confront Klitschko, who he believes changed his mind on a potential fight between the pair.

But that sparked a verbal exchange with Haye and Chisora squaring up to each other before a brawl ensued.

Chisora accused Haye of "glassing him", before saying at least four times that he would shoot the former WBA heavyweight champion.

He added: "If David don't fight me, I am going to physically burn him."

Smith said the scuffle ranked among of the lowest moments in British boxing history.

I'm very disappointed and very saddened that, in a sport I love, I have to deal with this," he added.

"I have to speak to the German Boxing Federation and German police and then take appropriate action. This is not good, it's bad, we have to deal with it accordingly."

Chisora has had part of his fight purse withheld by the World Boxing Council after slapping Klitschko at the pre-fight weigh-in on Friday.

Chisora spat water towards Klitschko's brother, Wladimir, moments before Saturday night's bout began.

More controversy followed when Chisora exchanged words with the Klitschko brothers after the result was announced.

Last edited by TopHat24/7 on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

British boxer David Haye is suspected of grievous bodily harm after Dereck Chisora brawl, German police tell BBC Sport  Empty Re: British boxer David Haye is suspected of grievous bodily harm after Dereck Chisora brawl, German police tell BBC Sport

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 20 Feb 2012, 1:49 pm

For the right hand i reckon.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

British boxer David Haye is suspected of grievous bodily harm after Dereck Chisora brawl, German police tell BBC Sport  Empty Re: British boxer David Haye is suspected of grievous bodily harm after Dereck Chisora brawl, German police tell BBC Sport

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:02 pm

That wouldn't be GBH. Common assault/affray but not GBH. Generally in the UK you won't get hit with a GBH charge unless you break the skin (or a bone). Even then you may get ABH. GBH generally refers assault with a weapon, hence my guess about the tripod, unless they are insinuating the bottle was a weapon....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:05 pm

Maybe Booth is pressing charges. Laugh
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:28 pm

Fingers crossed they both go away. Very Happy

British boxing deserves better than these two muppets.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:34 pm

In this country if you throw a punch with a bottle in your hand you can be done for GBH I believe. Even if it is not your intention (i.e. you lash out without realising you're holding something), you are still using a weapon to strike somebody. A glass bottle would be at the more serious end of the scale of items you could be holding imo.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:41 pm

Agreed Enforcer, though I believe that can only apply when the bottle becomes a de facto weapon (i.e. makes contact/causes harm) - even if unintended. In this case the video and audio footage, quite clearly IMO, indicates the bottle never smashed or came into contact with Chisora. It was as much a weapon as the watch (or bangles or whatever they were) he was wearing.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:51 pm

Perhaps he is suspected of GBH because they cannot clearly tell whether or not contact was made? It could be downgraded once all of the evidence is gathered.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:54 pm

Yeah, you're probably right. Much like Chisora I'm sure once they start actually interviewing him it'll all get dismissed anyway (assuming Haye even goes back to Germany to be questioned).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:54 pm

Motor mouth is nowhere to be seen apparently, mind you after the disgusting spitting at Wladimir by Derek, Haye should of got a medal for hitting him

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 2:59 pm

Haye and Booth are back in England, they caught an earlier than scheduled flight back (which is why the police missed them) after giving initial statements as they didn't want to return to the same hotel as Chisora and his entourage were at.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon 20 Feb 2012, 3:16 pm

Chisora is not in the clear yet either, he is under suspicion of malicious injury, which could get him up to five years in jail, and also a charge of "threat", a lesser offence punishable by a fine or imprisonment of up to one year.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 20 Feb 2012, 3:19 pm

Haye started this whole thing. He is only effective OUTSIDE of the ring.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 20 Feb 2012, 3:30 pm

Haye is like Tyson was second time around. More regarded as a 'personality' than a boxer. Him and Booth should have their own show

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelvinj3 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 3:38 pm

If he's pleading not guilty, he must thing they're talking about Wladimir:-)

Kelvinj3

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:14 pm

Looks like Scotland Yard are involved now: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/20/david-haye-german-police-scotland-yard

How long before David Haye is on Interpols list?

This is completely out of hand when you put into perspective the amount of times Kelly Pavlik has been arrested drunk driving or Riddick Bowe assaulting others or even that one dude who drop kicked another heavyweight from a limo.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:22 pm

Agreed SP. Petty hysteria. Think that was Holmes with the drop-kick too!

Chisora beating his missus is a lot worse than what happened this weekend.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:30 pm

All I've read is self-absorbed priggs spurting lyrically about these two thugs...

The fact is, boxing, for the right or wrong reasons is once again Front Page news. What better way to start selling the heavyweight division - "Any news is good news". I'm seeing people who have no interest in boxing talking about it, having their say. That's great right?

What they don't realise is... this happens in boxing. It happens in Heavyweight boxing and when it does, it's exciting.

It's crazy how a little scrap, no different than what we would see in the street is treated worse than the constant racism and bullying in football.

All this talk of police etc. get over it. Everyones so P.C these days.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:33 pm

I agree it's a joke, I wondered what everyone's problem was then I read the papers today.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:35 pm

Even Kevin Mitchell is getting in on the act, unbelievable:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/feb/19/no-winners-dereck-chisora-david-haye?intcmp=239

This, coming from a chavvy knife-carrying scumbag who got people to fork out a lot of money for a big stadium fight he couldn't even be bothered to train for!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:37 pm

Yeah... That's a different Kevin Mitchell!

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:38 pm

Different Kevin Mitchell Tophat, Kevin Mitchell is the Guardian's boxing writer and author of Jacob's Beach and War Baby, am uncertain whether he carries a knife or not.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:39 pm

When I read the article I thought it was a bit too articulate for the cockney wideboy Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:43 pm

Hahaha,

I read the Kevin Mitchell article too. I thought when I first saw who wrote it (before reading it) what would that BMW driving, drug dealing, Mummys-boy know about class in the ring.

Love that post though Top-Hat.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:56 pm

HAHAHAHA what a TOOL!! Only just glanced at it quickly, o dear, what a muppet.

Feel like JabMachine.....

Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:58 pm

It may be sometime before you live this one down mate, if you bribe me I will happily delete all evidence of this.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

A lifetime subscription to www.whippets-magazine.co.uk, some Yorkshire tea-bags and an (unsigned) photo of the cast of Last of the Summer Wine...??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:12 pm

Wow, i'd have done it for just the magazine subscription.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:22 pm

rowley wrote:Wow, i'd have done it for just the magazine subscription.

laughing laughing laughing

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Feb 2012, 11:23 pm

The latest report from the BBC is that "David Haye & Dereck Chisora could face prison over brawl" http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/17088619

I haven't had time to read the report fully but it seems they are both accused of being black which in Britain carries a potential custodial sentence.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 20 Feb 2012, 11:24 pm

Nore Staat wrote:I haven't had time to read the report fully but it seems they are both accused of being black which in Britain carries a potential custodial sentence.
Spoiler:

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Tue 21 Feb 2012, 2:56 am

"GBH generally refers assault with a weapon"

"In this country if you throw a punch with a bottle in your hand you can be done for GBH I believe"

To clarify, neither of the above statements are correct.
GBH [grevious bodily harm] is an assault whereby the injuries sustained are "very serious" or "really grevious", [nothing to do with weapons as serious injury can be inflicted with bare hands], hence the wording of the offence.
There is no clear definition of how serious the injuries have to be before it is considered GBH, for example you could punch someone once breaking their nose & be charged with this offence.
Clearly whoever was spoken to in Germany doesn't understand the term or they have very different rules out there, no one was even taken to hospital [as far as I'm aware] let alone sustained any serious injuries.

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down