The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Price keen to take on Dereck Chisora next year

+7
The Galveston Giant
Seanusarrilius
manos de piedra
AlexHuckerby
azania
hampo17
Pedro147
11 posters

Go down

David Price keen to take on Dereck Chisora next year Empty David Price keen to take on Dereck Chisora next year

Post by Pedro147 Mon 16 Jul 2012, 6:47 pm

Few surprises here, one is he only wants to be Euro champ next year. He'll probably have to defend once or twice so is he holding out until 2014 to have a possible fight with Wlad? I think that Price is being moved along too slowly. I know fighters can be rushed and sometimes don't get the required experience that can be needed to become a champion but I think Price is being moved too slow.

Also moving to Boxnation is going to mean less exposure for him. Not many people know him as it is without going onto a pay-per-view channel. The Olympians from 2008 have barely fought. Billy Joe Saunder, Price, De Gale and Jefferies have all gone backwards in the last 18 months in my opinion.

Anyway here is the article.

British heavyweight champion David Price says he would be happy to fight Dereck Chisora next year but admits a bout against David Haye is unlikely.

Haye knocked out Chisora, 28, in the fifth round at Upton Park on Saturday.

Price, 29, told BBC Sport: "I want to fight the best fighters and Chisora is one of the best in Britain and would be a good test for me.

"A fight with Chisora would create interest and if the fans wanted to see it, I'd be happy to take part."

Chisora is appealing against the indefinite suspension of his licence by the British Boxing Board of Control after a post-fight brawl with Haye in February.

“David Haye's got nothing to gain by fighting me”

"I feel I can beat anyone on my day and Dereck Chisora is no different. I've sparred a lot with him and we've had some good sessions. It would make a good fight, but I would be 100% confident of beating him," said Liverpudlian Price.

"Next year sometime if I'm still British champion and move on to another level, there might be an opportunity.

"He would have to reapply for a licence and there's a lot of ifs and buts, although it's a possibility.

"Chisora's had some tough fights. He is going to have to have a bit of a rest, lower his expectations, drop down to domestic level and rebuild."

Former Commonwealth gold and Olympic bronze medallist Price has won 11 of his 13 professional bouts by knockout.

He was only the second man, after Chisora, to defeat Sam Sexton when winning the British and Commonwealth titles in May.

"We are in the process of arranging our first title defence and speaking to a couple of potential opponents, which we hope to announce soon," said Price.

He confirmed his promoter Frank Maloney was discussing a possible deal with broadcaster BoxNation, which screened the Haye-Chisora bout and whose major shareholders include Chisora's promoter Frank Warren.

"We haven't got a TV deal because Sky have dropped out. Frank [Maloney] is talking to a couple of broadcasters, including BoxNation," said Price.

"In 12 months' time I definitely want to be European champion and knocking on the door of world-class level."

Price's potential future opponents could include the unbeaten Manchester-born fighter Tyson Fury, who vacated the British and Commonwealth titles in February before winning the WBO Inter-Continental Heavyweight title earlier in July.

Haye, 31, retired in October following a points defeat in Germany to heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko, but returned to the ring to beat Chisora.

He may quit the sport again unless a contest can be arranged with Wladimir's older brother Vitali, who defended his title in February against Chisora, defeating the Briton by a unanimous decision.

A brawl in the post-fight media conference between Chisora and Haye ultimately led to the pair's fight on Saturday.

It was sanctioned by the Luxembourg Boxing Federation after Britain's governing body refused to recognise it.

Price added: "David Haye's got nothing to gain by fighting me. I'm just British champion and have only had 13 fights. He's a former world champion and he wants to be fighting the very best.

"A fight with me wouldn't generate any interest worldwide, although it probably would in Britain."

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

David Price keen to take on Dereck Chisora next year Empty Re: David Price keen to take on Dereck Chisora next year

Post by hampo17 Mon 16 Jul 2012, 7:02 pm

I agree the Degale has stalled, but Price has stepped up his level and is now British and commonwealth champion, Saunders has recently claimed his first belt as well. There's not a lot Jefferies can do at the moment, he has got a very serious injury to both hands and has recently gone under the knife. He has to wear gloves which put an electric current through his hands to help the blood flow.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

David Price keen to take on Dereck Chisora next year Empty Re: David Price keen to take on Dereck Chisora next year

Post by azania Mon 16 Jul 2012, 8:21 pm

Good for him to want to fight Chisora. Shows ambition. He'll lose though, depending on what condition Derek comes in at. A fit Derek will clear him out.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 16 Jul 2012, 8:26 pm

azania wrote:Good for him to want to fight Chisora. Shows ambition. He'll lose though, depending on what condition Derek comes in at. A fit Derek will clear him out.

Don't see why Az, care to go into a bit of detail with that on?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 16 Jul 2012, 8:28 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
azania wrote:Good for him to want to fight Chisora. Shows ambition. He'll lose though, depending on what condition Derek comes in at. A fit Derek will clear him out.

Because Price is chinny and has never fought anyone would be my guess.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 16 Jul 2012, 8:32 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

Because Price is chinny and has never fought anyone would be my guess.

Ah, yes, sensible.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 16 Jul 2012, 8:44 pm

Personally I don't rate Price at all. He looks good fighting immobile objects who try to out jab him. But to me his movement is lacking. Against Chisora he will have to display good footwork and the ability to mix it up. He looked ungainly up close. Plus he's chinny thumbsup

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 16 Jul 2012, 8:49 pm

I still am yet to see the reason as to why hes chinny, stoppable of course, wobbled against one of the best Amateur HWs, no big deal.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 16 Jul 2012, 8:50 pm

What happened to the guy who stopped Price in the Olympics?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 16 Jul 2012, 8:59 pm

Still an amateur and still a cop.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 16 Jul 2012, 9:01 pm

Cammarelle won't turn pro, shame really, so much natural talent.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 16 Jul 2012, 9:02 pm

Yeah Jefferies career is over i think.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 16 Jul 2012, 9:02 pm

Hasn't Price lost his license? Afterall he was doing punditry for the fight on Saturday..... Run

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon 16 Jul 2012, 10:10 pm

Pedro147 wrote:

Price added: "David Haye's got nothing to gain by fighting me. I'm just British champion and have only had 13 fights. He's a former world champion and he wants to be fighting the very best.

"A fight with me wouldn't generate any interest worldwide, although it probably would in Britain."

Refreshing to hear a boxer be that honest or humble. Would have expected him to be calling him out and trying to gain some exposure of his back. Id take Haye to stop him at this point of their careers.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 16 Jul 2012, 10:11 pm

Be good, just to shut Az up.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 16 Jul 2012, 11:19 pm

I hope Jefferies is able to resume his career. We used to live together at the National Boxing Academy so I've sparred him many times and know his boxing first hand. He's a great talent, has a crazy reach (at least it feels like it!) and he is extremely dedicated and focused so it must be hugely frustrating for him to have a serious hand injury. I wish him well though feel his style is more suited to the amateurs..... however, if I was proved wrong that would be great!!

Chis is a brilliant test for Price. I'm interested to what Az makes of the fight?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 16 Jul 2012, 11:23 pm

I've just read Az's opinion above, and i was mad to expect otherwise
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 17 Jul 2012, 12:20 am

TheMackemMawler wrote: Chis is a brilliant test for Price. I'm interested to what Az makes of the fight?

Apparently getting knocked out once by a world class amateur is a guarantee that Price will get flattened even by a feather-fisted fighter like Chisora. Unless everyone suddenly goes off him and starts slagging him off then Az's contrarianism means he'll start backing Price and having a go at anyone who criticises him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down