The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was the Haye/ Chisora brawl good for boxing?

+15
DaveVDK
Kay Fabe
John Bloody Wayne
steven24
Sugar Floyd Louis
mystiroakey
oxring
Knowsit17
manos de piedra
Rowley
HumanWindmill
azania
ShahenshahG
AlexHuckerby
Adam D
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Good or Bad?

Was the Haye/ Chisora brawl good for boxing? - Page 2 Vote_lcap40%Was the Haye/ Chisora brawl good for boxing? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 17 ]
Was the Haye/ Chisora brawl good for boxing? - Page 2 Vote_lcap60%Was the Haye/ Chisora brawl good for boxing? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 26 ]

Total Votes : 43

Was the Haye/ Chisora brawl good for boxing? - Page 2 Empty Was the Haye/ Chisora brawl good for boxing?

Post by Adam D Sun 19 Feb 2012, 5:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Simple question - with the slow decline in mainstream interest in boxing (especially heavyweight boxing), have the antics of these two Jim Henson creations actually done the sport some good?

Let's hear your thoughts.....

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Was the Haye/ Chisora brawl good for boxing? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was the Haye/ Chisora brawl good for boxing?

Post by oxring Sun 19 Feb 2012, 7:31 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
azania wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:It was bad for boxing and bad for British boxing. It was also a bad thing for Dereck whose In-ring performance had just bumped him several places up the HW list and then he threw it all away with a few stupid words.

Chisora accused Haye of spoiling things for up and coming fighters and then repeatedly threatened to shoot him and burn him. I fail to see how that's better for British fighters than putting in a tame performance on PPV.

Haye was within his rights to ask the K's why he wasn't being offered a rematch after apparently agreeing terms last year. Chisora was understandably aggrieved that Haye was gatecrashing the party but the matter only escalated once Chisora stepped off the podium.

Neither man acquitted himself well after that but to suggest that sort of behaviour is good for boxing says more about the OP than anything else.

You're kidding. His antics have shifted the decimal point to the right in his next pay cheque.

Which might not come for another year or more. And might go towards paying off the fines hes bound to accumulate.

After the hefty ban he's going to get. Its a second offence as well - they haven't forgiven him for the bite yet.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Was the Haye/ Chisora brawl good for boxing? - Page 2 Empty Re: Was the Haye/ Chisora brawl good for boxing?

Post by azania Sun 19 Feb 2012, 7:35 pm

He;s not exactly broke and the purse he will get for his next fight will make that a good investment.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Feb 2012, 7:40 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
azania wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:It was bad for boxing and bad for British boxing. It was also a bad thing for Dereck whose In-ring performance had just bumped him several places up the HW list and then he threw it all away with a few stupid words.

Chisora accused Haye of spoiling things for up and coming fighters and then repeatedly threatened to shoot him and burn him. I fail to see how that's better for British fighters than putting in a tame performance on PPV.

Haye was within his rights to ask the K's why he wasn't being offered a rematch after apparently agreeing terms last year. Chisora was understandably aggrieved that Haye was gatecrashing the party but the matter only escalated once Chisora stepped off the podium.

Neither man acquitted himself well after that but to suggest that sort of behaviour is good for boxing says more about the OP than anything else.

You're kidding. His antics have shifted the decimal point to the right in his next pay cheque.

Which might not come for another year or more. And might go towards paying off the fines hes bound to accumulate.

Exactly, you only get the big fights and the big bucks and still get to behave like thug if you're a winner. As well as Chisora did last night, HE STILL LOST, and ultimately that's how he'll be viewed...a bad loser.

He isn't likely to get an invite back to Germany anytime soon and domestically, he's fallen behind Price and Fury who aren't likely to face him anytime soon so where does that leave Dereck?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Feb 2012, 7:41 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
azania wrote:

Exactly, you only get the big fights and the big bucks and still get to behave like thug if you're a winner. As well as Chisora did last night, HE STILL LOST, and ultimately that's how he'll be viewed...a bad loser.

He isn't likely to get an invite back to Germany anytime soon and domestically, he's fallen behind Price and Fury who aren't likely to face him anytime soon so where does that leave Dereck?

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 19 Feb 2012, 7:46 pm

azania wrote:

Did Chisora get paid in pounds and PENCE? They really are slave contracts!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 19 Feb 2012, 7:51 pm

Adam D wrote:
azania wrote:

Did Chisora get paid in pounds and PENCE? They really are slave contracts!

The contract would have had options on his next 3 fights and a predetermined purse in which the borthers would get the lion share in the event of a rematch. The brothers would also have options as to where the fights are helt. In short Chisora wouldn't have control. Ergo slave contract.

I believe that is what they offered Haye before he fought Valuev.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Feb 2012, 7:57 pm

Oh dear...

Boxing must be in a sorry place if this sort of thing is considered good publicity.

Desperate times indeed.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Sun 19 Feb 2012, 8:04 pm

Bad. Makes boxing look terrible and reinforces the completely untrue stereotype that all boxers are thugs, stuff like this bring the sport into disrepute.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 19 Feb 2012, 8:07 pm

DaveVDK wrote:Bad. Makes boxing look terrible and reinforces the completely untrue stereotype that all boxers are thugs, stuff like this bring the sport into disrepute.

Disrepute? The sport lost whatever reputation it had 15 years ago when it left free to air tv.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 11:04 am

I tend to agree with Azania on this one, I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion to an extent. Do I expect every fighter to act like this? No of course not but the sport has always had characters.

If you have two fighters who want to fight squaring up at a press conference from time to time it will bubble over, that is innevitable these guys are competitive sportsmen.

I can think of countless times where this sort of thing has happened, as many have mentioned on this thread go back to Lewis Vs.Tyson it adds excitement to the fight and I guarantee if Chisora were to fight Haye most on this board would be very interested in watching it.

There are other ways which you'd prefer the sport to get more publicity but I was still slightly shocked at how many people condoned this as terrible and that both fighters in questions should be banned from the sport!

These are passionate people and they are fighting men maybe its just me but having a scuffle at the conference just isn't as destructive to the sport as many are stating.

Personally i would say fighters being allowed to duck others and the whole manny floyd saga is alot worse for boxing then two people having a scuffle at a press conference.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon 20 Feb 2012, 11:09 am

boxing is a SPORT, governed by rules, taking place inside a controlled environment between 2 highly trained and disciplined athletes.

that was just 2 muppets with egos.

The Hillsborough disaster got people talking about football for god's sake.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 11:29 am

This is hardly as big a deal as Hillsborough though surely?

I just don't see why it should be such a big deal.

Two boxers having throwing a few punches at each other is not going to hit boxing the way Hillsborough hit football as its a much smaller problem.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 20 Feb 2012, 11:33 am

OasisBFC wrote:boxing is a SPORT, governed by rules, taking place inside a controlled environment between 2 highly trained and disciplined athletes.

that was just 2 muppets with egos.

The Hillsborough disaster got people talking about football for god's sake.

No one died yesterday. Hardly a valid comparison. Brawls happen all the time at press confrences. It will happen again and again. I suppose when MAB and Morales brawled, they both should have been banned for life.

Get a grip people.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 20 Feb 2012, 11:36 am

had enough of these mad comparisons- i agree with az on this completly- we have child abuse, murders in pools, big disasters, murdering neighbours compared to a little ruckos to get some attention for an upcoming fight!

get your feat on the ground blimey!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 11:37 am

Rightly said Aziana,

with the reaction its as if this is the first ever brawl outside a boxing ring!

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 20 Feb 2012, 11:50 am

I agree with Az. The brawl was great. Better entertainment than the whole Vitali v Chisora fight in fact. David Haye drinks 'Desperados'...I have actually found something about the guy I like. Booth is still a gobby little piece of work though. Chisora is totally mental and you never know what is gonna happen next when he is around. Cant believe Haye didnt floor that big guy from Chisoras entourage. The tripod slam was brilliant though. All my mates are talking about this even the ones who dont like boxing. The coverage will easily be the most viewed on Youtube this month. Its all about entertainment...and fair do Haye and Chisora gave us that so good on them thumbsup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 20 Feb 2012, 11:57 am

It will get the public interested. It may not be classy. But it sells. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was good for the sport but I don't think it was bad for it either
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 20 Feb 2012, 11:59 am

Are the people that tune into this press conferance stuff actually just tuning in to watch a scrap at a media gig though as opposed to becoming converted to boxing fans? Its a genuine question because the assumption seems to be they will now watch boxing when its possibly just a case of watching a youtube clip and thinking "that was entertaining" before moving on again. How many are going to be tuning into Friday Night Fights as a result?

I dont follow Ice Hockey at all for example but every so often I might get sent a clip by a friend or colleague of some big brawl that breaks out with guys hammering away at each other on the ice. I watch it and think "thats mental". But it doesnt get me watching the sport or following it as a result. Same goes for some clip of a massive pile up in NASCAR or something. I still dont watch the sport as a result.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 20 Feb 2012, 12:02 pm

If this fight gets made the presser in Germany is the perfect selling point. People will tune in for this sort of thing. Everyone is talking about it. People want to see them fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 20 Feb 2012, 12:29 pm

"Are the people that tune into this press conferance stuff actually just
tuning in to watch a scrap at a media gig though as opposed to becoming
converted to boxing fans?"

i dont think the money comes from converted hardcore boxing fans- big fights attract attention from casual fans- they pay the money to see big bill fights, the casual viewer is were the money is(there are so many more of those)- its just getting these fans back into the game- boxing has had a rough ride recently

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2