The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+77
number1hacker
lorus59
4putt
matelot golfer
jockneyboy
Simba
mystiroakey
Mary
No1yankee
tarka
Marcus
oldparwin
Shotrock
JAS
hend085
shclaff
jeffkenna
1GrumpyGolfer
MustPuttBetter
ralphjohn69
Eyetoldyouso
Rangiora
JohnnyH
puligny
Humpyd
Bob_the_Job
Sand
Bagman
super_realist
Diggers
Adam D
Yadsendew
Hibbz
baboo800
Skydriver
cornwell74
beninho
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
dynamark
JPX
golfermartin
kwinigolfer
The_Phenom
raycastleunited
Baggiesfan_golfer
Rossa
BlueCoverman
DazBoredAtWork
birdie
Redrage
Doon the Water
Onetoanother
GG
5531stuart
sharrison01
SmithersJones
navyblueshorts
liegerwoods
Nay
haystongolfer
graeme
Lairdy
Mercurio
McLaren
Caf
Noshankingtonite
goodwalkspoiled
barragan
goldwolf
LadyPutt
Doc
GWR-Golfer
Maverick
oldshanker
LondonJonnyO
drive4show
Davie
81 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 11 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by Davie Sun 20 Mar 2011, 9:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

.. or yesterday or whenever your last game happened.

I played this morning - just a bounce game with one of my regular partners.

There had been a big competition yesterday at the club so the course was a bit quieter today than one might expect for a Sunday. 11:20 tee off as a two-ball and lots of other two balls out there with a couple of quick 4-balls so pace of play was brisk.

Those who have read my posts recently will know that I've been suffering with a nasty foot/ankle injury for a few months and it's just great to be out there at all at the moment. Thankfully the foot came through with flying colours though I think I've been favouring it for the last couple of weeks still and after the game today my knee was playing up but with luck that will just be a temporary setback.

A glorious day though in the Thames Valley with above average temperatures and the course was in remarkable nick for mid March.

The match itself was close for a long way. I felt I was playing reasonably well after not playing much of the winter and after losing the 2nd I levelled it on the 3rd and was one up after nine. Though I felt I was playing better than my opponent I couldn't shake him and he hung in there until I went 2 up on 15. Closed it out on 16 but was made to work for it.

Although it was matchplay I kept an estimated Stableford score and came in with 32 (estimated) points which I wasn't too disappointed with given lack of recent regular play. One NR and a couple of holes where a 3 pointer was well withing my grasp and ended with 1 point (short game was actually pretty good apart from those two nightmares)

Now looking forward to next weekend and a Stableford competition where I've been drawn with last year's captain and next year's!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 11 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by Yadsendew Tue 02 Aug 2011, 2:06 pm

dynamark wrote:Yas .Well played if its 9 .I find that this time of year late summer the scores tend come on a bit.Plenty of run better greens and playing more regularily gives confidence.

Yes you're right Dyna - Been playing twice a week of the whites over the last couple of months or so (We have a club alternate medal / stableford comp on Tuesdays). Our course is currently in great condition and the greens are fast and true. I don't hit it far so the extra run helps too. Just waiting for the wheels to fall off soon Rolling Eyes

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 11 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by dynamark Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

My game today has just been cancelled due to the opposition failing to raise a team.But TBH its so hot and humid Im going to do a bit of practice and retire to the cool of the bar.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:11 pm

Conditions were superb today, lovely day for a medal. Shambolic start, lost 3 balls in 5 holes, but played ok afterwards for a net +4. I am seeing signs that I may be getting out of the rut I've been in this last couple of months (one hopes).

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:18 pm

Wed medal at my course. Usually a good putter but ive never had a day like it on the greens. Had 25 putts and that was with a 3 putt on the 2nd hole!

Finished +4 over for my lowest score in a medal and that included 2 lost balls.

Will definately be back to cat 1 now, lets hope I can stay there as all ive done this year is yo-yo between 5.1 and 5.6.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:24 pm

Played last night, perfect weather for golf, course quiet and in good condition, greens fast, rough a bit scary.
Both played really well with 37 points each on the last tee. Deadly fluffed approach chip into bunker then skimmed it over the green. I finished with 39 points which would have been good apart from the two stupid 7's.
New driver and shoes and newish 3 wood and putter all seem to be working well.
Putted solid but was surprised to find that I had taken only 27 putts. Quite a few dead chips/run ins. Played the tough holes very well and dropped the shots on the easy holes.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyH Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:00 pm

Hi guys, new on here but been reading for a while. Maverick, you tell a great story and I really wish Mavette a stunning future.
Anyways, Im a decent-ish player who hasn't played for about 5 years, shoulder ops, job changes, normal cr@p we all come up with, but now back and playing...woo hoo!!!

Today I played my 5th round since 2006, played Cray Valley in Kent, not a fantastic course, but not the worst either. I played with a work colleague, Mike, who is a new golfer, under 15 rounds, but you would definitely call him a bandit if you saw him play!!
We both played pretty well, and had a superb day all round...good golf, great company and lovely weather. Figures wise, I shot a 85, 15 over, and Mike fired a wonderful 102...his best round ever...AND...it should/could have been much better.....e.g. he had NINE putts after 3 holes!
Overall a great day, and i am very glad to become "alive" on this forum...
You lot on here are great reading, and i am very happy to be on board!

John

JohnnyH

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:15 pm

JohnnyH wrote:Hi guys, new on here but been reading for a while. Maverick, you tell a great story and I really wish Mavette a stunning future.
Anyways, Im a decent-ish player who hasn't played for about 5 years, shoulder ops, job changes, normal cr@p we all come up with, but now back and playing...woo hoo!!!

Today I played my 5th round since 2006, played Cray Valley in Kent, not a fantastic course, but not the worst either. I played with a work colleague, Mike, who is a new golfer, under 15 rounds, but you would definitely call him a bandit if you saw him play!!
We both played pretty well, and had a superb day all round...good golf, great company and lovely weather. Figures wise, I shot a 85, 15 over, and Mike fired a wonderful 102...his best round ever...AND...it should/could have been much better.....e.g. he had NINE putts after 3 holes!
Overall a great day, and i am very glad to become "alive" on this forum...
You lot on here are great reading, and i am very happy to be on board!

John

Welcome, always glad to have newcomers on board thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Aug 2011, 10:24 pm

Welcome John
Ale

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat 06 Aug 2011, 7:39 pm

Hi John - and welcome. You'll find us a fairly friendly bunch, with occasional strong opinions.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 06 Aug 2011, 7:48 pm

Welcome John, I gave up for a few years having played off 5/6 so I know how you feel. Great that you're really enjoying it.

I played my last round for a while today, and it was good enough to leave me satisfied but at the same time frustrating, as I made a swing change which meant I struck the ball better than I have all year, and now won't have a chance to build on that and groove the change. Us golfers are never happy!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat 06 Aug 2011, 10:55 pm

SmithersJones wrote:Welcome John, I gave up for a few years having played off 5/6 so I know how you feel.

That explains things SJ. I had always thought your swing was too neat for your present handicap. Whistle
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 06 Aug 2011, 11:02 pm

oldshanker wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:Welcome John, I gave up for a few years having played off 5/6 so I know how you feel.

That explains things SJ. I had always thought your swing was too neat for your present handicap. Whistle

I'll take that as a compliment, thanks OS. I just wish my scores were too!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat 06 Aug 2011, 11:09 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
oldshanker wrote:

It was of course meant that way....................mind you, I seem to remember not that long ago a certain SJ ripping everyone else a new backside at OFM. Shocked
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 06 Aug 2011, 11:23 pm

oldshanker wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:
oldshanker wrote:

It was of course meant that way....................mind you, I seem to remember not that long ago a certain SJ ripping everyone else a new backside at OFM. Shocked

Who, me? Surely not? Whistle Oh, well ok, maybe. Just not at home, that's the trouble. Having said that, should get cut for today's round. Hopefully I'll be able to get back playing in time to get down to single figures by the end of the year.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sun 07 Aug 2011, 12:36 am

Second round of Club championship qualifiers and shot 78 , second best score of the day out of 94 Very Happy

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 07 Aug 2011, 2:39 pm

Good day yesterday in the Captain's Charity Day. Shotgun start with teams of 4 playing what they called a 4-ball alliance (I'd never heard it called that before)

Basically it was best 3 (of 4) stableford scores on par3s, best 2 on par4s and best one on par5s

Greens not in the best condition, this being the first weekend after the mid-summer greens maintenance (cored and quite heavily sanded) but I was pleased with my game. Estimated 33pts myself though there were a couple of holes where I didn't hole out as I couldn't beat scores already made.

Considering the state of the greens though I was amazed at some of the team scores that were coming in! "par" for the format (level 2pts) was 76pts and I thought we'd done quite well to score 81pts but the winning total was 104!!! I couldn't believe it.

I thought we'd done quite well especially as we scored well on the par3s (which required 3 of the 4 balls to score) and I thought that would help us, but obviously not.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 07 Aug 2011, 2:58 pm

Rangiora - that looks like a super round and you probably claimed a few scalps. Very Happy

Where abouts in the land of the long white cloud do you play? There has been some discussion on here recently about how spectacular some of the courses are in New Zealand.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 07 Aug 2011, 3:58 pm

just back from a week on the sunny black isle. enjoyed a few games whilst up there including 3 medals.

despite not really hitting any form i've come back fairly happy with my performances, having handicap increased by only 0.1 due to some good finishes to each of the rounds - 4 over in total for the back nine of the 3 rounds combined.

i'm still enduring a bit of a slump in scoring form as detailed in my chipping thread, however i'm starting to see real progress in that area, 2 out of 2 up and downs in the last round (excluding greenside bunkers) felt like a real achievement. bit of a break now before the next counting comp - two weeks time heading up to lovely Alyth for their 36'er - hopefully enough time to get to grips with the new irons - can't wait!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 07 Aug 2011, 7:40 pm

Four over today, played excellent but had THREE shanks which cost me four shots...

Gutted as should have been at worst level.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Sun 07 Aug 2011, 9:19 pm

JohnnyH wrote:
Today I played my 5th round since 2006, played Cray Valley in Kent, not a fantastic course, but not the worst either.

Hello John - I know Cray Valley pretty well, and quite like the Cray 18 course! [and the Cray 9; am reserving judgement on the Ruxley 18 having slogged through it just once a couple of years ago, suspect it would be more fun with better weather than we had... and a buggy to cope with the severe hilliness...]

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 08 Aug 2011, 10:41 am

Mens open 4bbb at Lutterworth(just off M1 junction 20 worth a visit) yesterday.Played with 3 guys I have known for years but not played golf with very enjoyable super condition perfect if windy weather,good breakfast at halfway.Greens beat us up a bit very quick but I made 6 pars with a couple of godd up and downs.Funny moment on the last about 340 par 4 with the stump of a dead tree about 4 feet high dead centre about 60 yards short of the green.Partner hit a lovely drive and hit it plumb ball bounced back 20 yds.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyH Mon 08 Aug 2011, 2:35 pm

Hi, and thanks for all the welcomes guys, honoured to be here....and Skydriver, I would leave Ruxley well alone....very poor in my opinion!

John

JohnnyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

After enduring a simply dreadful season so far, handicap having gone from 6.9 to 8.2, I won a board comp yesterday. Handicap cut to 7.4.
What was different - had a lesson about 2 weeks ago and the pro noticed I was getting too steep in my backswing. This was making my driving particularly inconsistent. So I've been working on flattening the backswing with the driver a la Matt Kuchar. It felt quite strange at first but now seems OK; also getting a bit more distance.
Happy days, until next week.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 09 Aug 2011, 3:30 pm

Strange one today.
Played well last game and felt good on the early holes today. Gradually came apart to the turn with some very unusual and weird shots.
Played uncomfortably for the second nine and when I reflected on my round I was amazed to find that I only hit one bad shot from the 9th.
So felt good and played badly first 9, felt wrong and played well second 9.
Deadly was very poor today, his first really bad round for ages.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:27 pm

Regular Tuesday night bounce game today. 5.30 start and only managed 14 holes, this is the start of the end for this season unless we can start earlier.

Played quite well, hitting my drives nicely, seem to have got an unexpected (although I've been trying for one all season) draw on my drives now. Irons were solid and I even putted (for me) quite well.

On the putting, one of my playing partners noticed I was not lining up at all true. I now stand with what I believe to be an exaggerated open stance when putting and I appear to be hitting them straight. Hallelujah. Yahoo
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 10 Aug 2011, 7:49 am

Os
Hope that you did not accept advice from an outside agency('devil')

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Wed 10 Aug 2011, 8:01 am

oldshanker wrote:Rangiora - that looks like a super round and you probably claimed a few scalps. Very Happy

Where abouts in the land of the long white cloud do you play? There has been some discussion on here recently about how spectacular some of the courses are in New Zealand.

There's a clue in my name Wink About 25 mins north of Christchurch, South island and yes you're right some absolute belters out here, one of our reasons for moving here Very Happy

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 10 Aug 2011, 4:18 pm

Played a midweek Stableford today and finally, for the first time since my foot injury over the winter and spring, I put a semi-decent competition round together!

I've been playing OK in casual games and friendlies but just hadn't been able to put one together in a comp, but today I came in with 37pts (with only one non-scoring hole)

Never was going to be good enough to win but I was hanging on to 3rd place until the penultimate group came in and I got pushed down to fourth. The only slight disappointment is that the CSS went up to 37pts so I didn't manage even a small cut Sad

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 10 Aug 2011, 5:52 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Os
Hope that you did not accept advice from an outside agency('devil')

Strange, he was lying down behind me at the time......isn't that allowed?? Doh
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Aug 2011, 11:32 pm

i am going golf tomorrow, hopefully sort out my putting lol

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:45 am

Club match last night won us the league 6 matches unbeaten.
We closed out our match 4 and 3.I put a 4 iron to a foot on 3rd and hit the pin on 10.Partner playing with brand new 'tour burner' irons graphite shafted looked real nice club and he played very solid,put it close on the other two par threes.Running out of daylight though cool and windy.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 11 Aug 2011, 9:45 am

No game as per usual but been reading through how everyones getting on and getting jealous that i cannot play yet.

Well done on the win Dyna sounds like a formiddable partnership you have there.

Good news though, had my appointment with surgeon yesterday and results of most recent MRI. knee has healed ahead of schedule, appears doing nothing but as i've been told has worked. But rather than push things i've decided to rest it this month until the 28th when little mavette has her Club championship final and will walk the course with the lady members to watch. Then begin hitting balls on the 1st. Hoping to play my first round on firday the 9th september in a bounce game. that will be roughly 6 months to the day it happened

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu 11 Aug 2011, 5:49 pm

Hope it all goes well Mav - you had only got back into it after the eye op when the knee went. My advice, keep yer hand on your 'daisy', wouldn't want that to drop off!! Cry
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:25 pm

Mav

Are you tiger woods?

No, so why are we getting so many updates on your knee?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:26 pm

Mac - that's uncalled for. I think I can speak for the vast majority of the rest of us who are happy to read of Mav's progress after injury.

Please stop before you disrupt this thread

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:07 pm

Oh very dear Mac seriously are you still throwing your toys out of your pram. I think it's time you grew up or took a break from posting if you don't want to read whats on the boards. I was asked to post an update by a fellow poster via PM so I obliged on what I thought was the most appropriate thread instead of creating one just for my own self indulgence. As for the Tiger Woods comment no i'm certainly not he, i'm still happily married to the mother of my kids with no 9 iron dents in my car.

So how about lets keep this place on topic instead of allowing another thread to deteriorate and i;m not saying that in a MOD capacity before you take offence but as a fellow poster who likes to read what others have to say regardless of whom they are or what its about. SHould you wish to carry on any dispute your welcome to PM me but from now on on forum lets leave the school yard behaviour out of it and concentrate on what were here for healthy golf debate and in the case of this thread how our games are going. So on that note my knee is relevant as it was sustained golfing.......

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:21 pm

Why so serious man?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:25 pm

McLaren wrote:Why so serious man?

Hug

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:29 pm

kiss
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 11 Aug 2011, 11:32 pm

Wonder if we could get Tiger on here to tell us about his round today and the Wipey swing Whistle

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sat 13 Aug 2011, 8:32 am

82 today and had 6 putts from 6 inches or less 🤦

Still qualified for knock stage of club Champs, mid table .

First round next week, matchplay, no handicaps my grade is 0-8 so being mid table not so bad

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 13 Aug 2011, 3:42 pm

Decent net 70 today (SSS = par = 70)

Net 69 after Stableford adjustment and for the 2nd game running missed getting cut by CSS going to SSS-1 Sad

Pleased overall though

Oh yeah - forgot to say it was won by a net 57 Rolling Eyes

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat 13 Aug 2011, 5:49 pm

Rangiora - those 6 inch putts, were they 1st or 2nd putts, also, I'm not sure what you mean by grade, is that some antipodean thing? Wink

Davie - nett 57 eh, there is always one bandit left in them there hills. But it's good to know that you regularly play to your handicap and are actively seeking a reduction.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:48 pm

2-over 71 today with 4 birdies & 6 bogies; some good stuff but some nonsense as well! Buffer so stay at 2.9. Course was closed wed, thurs & fri morning and still very wet but greens not too bad considering the rain we've had up here.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyH Sat 13 Aug 2011, 9:12 pm

Played Cray Valley again today, was going really well, 4 over after 11, then it all went to pot.... Doh

After several years away i realise that i need to work on my chipping and my putting... Rolling Eyes

But overall, pretty pleased..

John

JohnnyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat 13 Aug 2011, 9:28 pm

todays round was a practise exercise, only took a 7 iron, 52 deg wedge and a putter.

I have become really scared of my irons that I will pick any shot other than using one.

Did not do to badly and will be doing the same for a midweek 9 holes till i am comfortable using them.

Last edited by Nay Bother on Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:02 pm

Very disappointing today, 4 over through 15 and hoping to pick up a birdie in the last 3 but ended up with 3 bogies furious Finished with a 77 so will be in the buffer but that's about all I can say for it.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:05 am

oldshanker wrote:Rangiora - those 6 inch putts, were they 1st or 2nd putts, also, I'm not sure what you mean by grade, is that some antipodean thing? Wink

Davie - nett 57 eh, there is always one bandit left in them there hills. But it's good to know that you regularly play to your handicap and are actively seeking a reduction.

Combination of the two Doh

We have 5 grades/divisions, roughly split up using handicaps. We then play Matchplay with no strokes given in our grades to determine winners in each grade. Did indeed finish up in 6th place so pretty happy.

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:04 am

Shocker on sat.Club championship.Minutes before tee off I received some bad news and frankly I didnt want to be there at all.Played with a guy who has a very bad knee he shot nett 99 incl a 17 on a par 5.The other fella is having cancer treatment and had difficulty getting round 18 holes.I started 6,11 so that was that.Absolutely dreadful until the last when I put a 5 wood in from 170 to a few feet.cannot remember when I have less enjoyed

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:11 am

Golf is an odd game.
Recently i feel like i've been playing pretty well but have really struggled to score well.
My best mate's wedding was this Saturday and i'd agreed to play in a stableford comp Sunday morning. Bad move!
Got to bed at 3am, woke up a 7am and set off for golf with the hangover from hell.
Somehow parred the first for 3 points and then went on a run of 0 points, 0 points, 1 point, 0 points, 0 points.
So come the end of the 6th i'd decided i really couldn't care less. Luckily my headache had worn off and i decided to just enjoy it and try a few things.
Ended up on fire through the back 9 and finished with 36 points, coming 2nd overall to a guy who collected 37.

Stupid game!! Laugh
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next