The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+77
number1hacker
lorus59
4putt
matelot golfer
jockneyboy
Simba
mystiroakey
Mary
No1yankee
tarka
Marcus
oldparwin
Shotrock
JAS
hend085
shclaff
jeffkenna
1GrumpyGolfer
MustPuttBetter
ralphjohn69
Eyetoldyouso
Rangiora
JohnnyH
puligny
Humpyd
Bob_the_Job
Sand
Bagman
super_realist
Diggers
Adam D
Yadsendew
Hibbz
baboo800
Skydriver
cornwell74
beninho
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
dynamark
JPX
golfermartin
kwinigolfer
The_Phenom
raycastleunited
Baggiesfan_golfer
Rossa
BlueCoverman
DazBoredAtWork
birdie
Redrage
Doon the Water
Onetoanother
GG
5531stuart
sharrison01
SmithersJones
navyblueshorts
liegerwoods
Nay
haystongolfer
graeme
Lairdy
Mercurio
McLaren
Caf
Noshankingtonite
goodwalkspoiled
barragan
goldwolf
LadyPutt
Doc
GWR-Golfer
Maverick
oldshanker
LondonJonnyO
drive4show
Davie
81 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 20 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by Davie Sun 20 Mar 2011 - 21:01

First topic message reminder :

.. or yesterday or whenever your last game happened.

I played this morning - just a bounce game with one of my regular partners.

There had been a big competition yesterday at the club so the course was a bit quieter today than one might expect for a Sunday. 11:20 tee off as a two-ball and lots of other two balls out there with a couple of quick 4-balls so pace of play was brisk.

Those who have read my posts recently will know that I've been suffering with a nasty foot/ankle injury for a few months and it's just great to be out there at all at the moment. Thankfully the foot came through with flying colours though I think I've been favouring it for the last couple of weeks still and after the game today my knee was playing up but with luck that will just be a temporary setback.

A glorious day though in the Thames Valley with above average temperatures and the course was in remarkable nick for mid March.

The match itself was close for a long way. I felt I was playing reasonably well after not playing much of the winter and after losing the 2nd I levelled it on the 3rd and was one up after nine. Though I felt I was playing better than my opponent I couldn't shake him and he hung in there until I went 2 up on 15. Closed it out on 16 but was made to work for it.

Although it was matchplay I kept an estimated Stableford score and came in with 32 (estimated) points which I wasn't too disappointed with given lack of recent regular play. One NR and a couple of holes where a 3 pointer was well withing my grasp and ended with 1 point (short game was actually pretty good apart from those two nightmares)

Now looking forward to next weekend and a Stableford competition where I've been drawn with last year's captain and next year's!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 20 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by McLaren Tue 24 Jan 2012 - 11:05

Phuck me, see what I did there? pretty good huh.

It was only a joke lorus, we are of course all pants at golf otherwise we would not be posting on here but rather tweeting to the masses. I would say more important than understanding the spirit of this thread you must learn to take the odd ribbing and the appropriate retorts to survive on any forum.

What is for sure is that I look forward to hearing about your next game.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 20 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by barragan Tue 24 Jan 2012 - 11:08

abuse
Rolling Eyes

keep your stories coming, i and others on here will read and be interested with your tales of woe, success and banditry alike thumbsup

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 24 Jan 2012 - 14:38

ban_bam wrote:abuse
Rolling Eyes

keep your stories coming, i and others on here will read and be interested with your tales of woe, success and banditry alike thumbsup

Come on Ban, leave that BS to the eclectic thread. Laugh

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 24 Jan 2012 - 15:14

it all started here grumps Wink

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue 24 Jan 2012 - 23:04

I was thinking more on the lines of banditry.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 11:29

edit:

lorus, keep your own golfing stories coming on here. i and others on here will be interested to hear of your tales of woe and success alike. however please take care to refer any tales of banditry to the eclectic thread for further ribbing. thumbsup

(that any better grumps?!! all the BS you could want, right on your plate laughing )

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 13:55

Thanks Ban, there's plenty of banditry on there, it wouldn't make sense to split it across two threads.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 14:33

laughing
can't wait to re-open my account, just as soon as the chumps get us back on the main greens...maybe march 31st is pushing it a little for completing the 8 rounds for me!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 17:49

OK, I can say something about success, woe and banditry.

Monthly medal at local simulator. The organiser picks a course every month, normally coinciding with a pro event, and us participating members log in and play the back 9 whenever we can over the month - all scores elecronically recorded with handicaps applied. January's competition is at Torrey Pines, and I managed to play it before work.

Was doing quite well when I reached the 190 yard par 3 16th. Not a great strike off the tee and ball ended short - but fortuituously not even reaching the greenside bunker. Went for a lobb-ish chip with 56 deg SW, and ended within a couple of feet / gimme range. Great par save, I thought - but then stepped forward to collect the ball whilst the technology was "thinking" for an unusually long time. The blasted thing interpreted me stepping over the sensor bank as the ball bouncing backwards 20 yard, so it put me in the bunker - and I lost 2 shots from there.

Once I had finished, the virtual leaderboard popped up, to show that I was never in contention anyway given someone having already scored -9 net earlier this month...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 20:48

Skydriver wrote:OK, I can say something about success, woe and banditry.

Monthly medal at local simulator. The organiser picks a course every month, normally coinciding with a pro event, and us participating members log in and play the back 9 whenever we can over the month - all scores elecronically recorded with handicaps applied. January's competition is at Torrey Pines, and I managed to play it before work.

Was doing quite well when I reached the 190 yard par 3 16th. Not a great strike off the tee and ball ended short - but fortuituously not even reaching the greenside bunker. Went for a lobb-ish chip with 56 deg SW, and ended within a couple of feet / gimme range. Great par save, I thought - but then stepped forward to collect the ball whilst the technology was "thinking" for an unusually long time. The blasted thing interpreted me stepping over the sensor bank as the ball bouncing backwards 20 yard, so it put me in the bunker - and I lost 2 shots from there.

Once I had finished, the virtual leaderboard popped up, to show that I was never in contention anyway given someone having already scored -9 net earlier this month...

Sorry SkyDriver but I did actually chuckle out loud to myself at that tale of woe. I'd have probably put my club through the screen!

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 27 Jan 2012 - 16:29

a quick 18 this morning. good fun, though on temps due to a bit of a frost overnight. main greens look pretty good on the whole, so i think they're perhaps just trying to save them for the summer. hopefully they'll be back on tomorrow though as we've our R2 greensomes tie late morning, and its always more enjoyable to play the full layout when there are potential 'honours' at stake. should be a good match, as our opponents are off similar handicaps to ours making it a 'scratch match'.

anyway, back to today - great start: good driver off the first, great 6iron to 5 feet, then missed the putt. chipped in on the 4th, and a nice up and down from a bunker on the 8th too (all normally par 5s, but shortened with temps in play, happy with 4, 4, 4). played well coming in - some decent drives, and good chipping, but not getting much reward out of the temp greens. hoping to build on it tomorrow.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Mon 6 Feb 2012 - 15:43

So imagine if you can a four ball match in the frozen wastes of south east London on Saturday. Conditions were tough - if you got in the rough chances were that you would be digging it out from frozen wormcasts. We lost the first two holes and halved the rest of the front nine. On ten I'd just drained a 45 footer for a half and we were clinging on. Then the downhill par three 11th, the opposition holed out for an ace (a triple oozlam eagle for 5 bits). I put mine on the green and holed for a birdie and recovered one bit. In the end we won the last two holes for a half overall and only had to pay out for the bits. What a match!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 20 Feb 2012 - 16:34

Saturday I was cack as was the weather.Full of expectation but hadnt really played for 3 weeks.Missed any number of putts on the front 9 for a miserly 10 points.Fresh attitude on back 9 but lost ball on 11 trying to be agressive, 4 putted 13th and complete balls up of last for 15 points .Rain started about 12th hole and thoroughly soaked by the end.
Character building(I hope)

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sat 25 Feb 2012 - 14:29

A day of firsts for me today! First time posting on this thread! First time I've not played badly but hated being on the course! First time I've had to fight the urge to not walk off the course.

Ok so no matter what I wouldn't up and walk off but today was tempting. Played with the clubs resident Moron!

2nd round of 3 rounds in our club stableford cup competition, one of our winter majors (best 2 of 3 rounds combined wins). Now I'd heard stories of this man called Dennis all about how he tells tall stories and insults your game etc! I took most with a pinch of salt but as of now I'm drafting an email to the secretary requesting to never be drawn with him again!

Some examples of Dennis!
2nd hole - one of the lads chipped in for a birdie - Dennis pipes up in my prime I did that 5 times a round!
3rd hole - I attempt my drive mid swing he pipes up no a bad swing but I could change it to be better.
4th hole - birdie putt lips out and finishes an inch to right of hole - Dennis "crap putt for a 9handicap" ( it was a lip out from 35feet) he adds "I usually hole 8 of those a round!

Fast forward to 7th(there were many more in those opening holes) as one of lads is chipping he pipes up "only weak players leave the pin in" guys shot promptly duffed through dennis' rudeness.

There were many more all way round on 12th I hit a good drive and carried fairway bunker at 245 and ball finished about 260 very happy with it he say "not very long are you" he was 80yards behind me! And he said " in my prime I was out hitting tour players"

Others were "my nephew plays off plus 9" and "he taught Tiger Woods how to drive the ball"!

There was when he likened me to Faldo because I left 1 putt half a roll short for birdie!(From again about 35-40feet)supposedly because Faldo couldn't putt.

And his insistence on having the flag out always even if he couldn't see the because that's what proper players do!

I could actually go on all day with his chat and antics a classic was you need to learn how to hit your drives 2 foot lower because they go to high and nowhere (again on a tee shot that went about 250ish) I wouldn't say I'm long in fact today was good driving but I don't care if I hit it 200yards or 300yards if its straight and in play!

His final one was when he said he thinks he should speak to club and tell them how to blend grass to make a real golf course as he lives in the country he knows what's best!

The man was a total tube! I enjoyed it so little I cannot remember a shot I hit all I know is I somehow scraped 38points after putting up with his constant drivel only for him to say 38points off 9 is a disgrace should be 43 at least! Then he signs his card for 16points! Of a 26handicap!

Now I know handicap is irrelevant when it comes to opinion as it should be they are there after all so we can enjoy a level playing field but the way he spoke you'd assume he was better than Jack Nicklaus! Mind you he did say he was better than Faldo and that Faldo never achieved anything!!!!

Moron!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 25 Feb 2012 - 14:56

You never know who you will meet up with at Bethpage. Last weekend we were put in a foursome with two middle aged guys who really knew how to have a good time. Once we were away from the starter they got out their boom box (hits from the sixties), popped open the first of many beers, and lit up a couple of joints. Their golf wasn't great, but they were fun to play with and I actually played my best for a long time. Can't decide if it was the music helping my tempo, or the fumes from their golf cart! Yahoo

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 25 Feb 2012 - 16:52

Fader, sounds like you are playing brilliantly for someone who's only a year at the game. That guy sounds like a right wind-up artist!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sat 25 Feb 2012 - 22:02

incontinentia wrote:Fader, sounds like you are playing brilliantly for someone who's only a year at the game. That guy sounds like a right wind-up artist!

Thanks. Have to say I've really taken to game, got myself a course of lessons before I ever went on the course to get myself a repeatable swing and currently having short game lessons to improve there. I go back for tune ups once a month but I know it gets harder now but I'll just continue to enjoy it!

As for Dennis! As I said I took the warnings about him with a pinch of salt but he is worse than I was aware of! No surprise in bar after not one member would even say hello to him!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 27 Feb 2012 - 10:27

Some good stuff in the texas scramble on saturday.Cracking morning 9 am shotgun.We took a while to get going only 1 birdie in first 5 but then started to find the hole and finished with 10 birdies one eagle(on 300 plus yard dogleg where one of the guys went over the corner and holed his putt)for 12 under.One of the players made hole in one on a par 4(only 100 folk in the clubhouse!)and the winners all decent players made 17 birdies!
Really enjoyable plus everyone got together after.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 7 Mar 2012 - 9:23

Am I the only one playing at the moment?.
Can be a lot of fun or a lot of apologising! We had a good comp at he weekend which we call march madness Stableford pairs but multiply the scores together!
So if both players played exactly to handicap and stroke index score would be 72.We managed a decent 99(I had 40 points and partner 41)for 5th place winners were over 120 and managed a 20 point hole(5x4).
Good news it was my best golf for some time.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 18 Mar 2012 - 21:24

Gassed it today...got to the turn in level par gross (well 22 points stableford). Just really struggled to hold it together on the back 9. After starting the back 9 with 3 single pointers all the confidence just evaporated. Battled to 15 points back but really, I should have had a decent cut today.

Does anyone else get that feeling that when you have a good front 9 then don't back it up with a good back 9...it's a bad day? If I'd been out in 15 and back in 22 I'd have been delighted!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 28 Mar 2012 - 8:52

Collingtree Park Northampton on monday.Water everywhere and sunburnt by the end.Some really well designed sections.Not a course to be fading the ball on though
Really good value and heck of a test.Birdied the first and went backwards from there.Funny thing on the back nine there are properties really too close and loads of roof tiles have been replaced.
Play it if you can

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 28 Mar 2012 - 9:00

JAS wrote:Gassed it today...got to the turn in level par gross (well 22 points stableford). Just really struggled to hold it together on the back 9. After starting the back 9 with 3 single pointers all the confidence just evaporated. Battled to 15 points back but really, I should have had a decent cut today.

Does anyone else get that feeling that when you have a good front 9 then don't back it up with a good back 9...it's a bad day? If I'd been out in 15 and back in 22 I'd have been delighted!!

well my course is strange due to the fact that the front 10 is so much easier than the back 8(we allways base it as 10 rather than 9 because the 10th comes back in) a level par front 10 is as easy to get as a 3 over par back 8.

so the mentaility is different based on what course i play i suppose

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 29 Mar 2012 - 9:42

JAS wrote:Gassed it today...got to the turn in level par gross (well 22 points stableford). Just really struggled to hold it together on the back 9. After starting the back 9 with 3 single pointers all the confidence just evaporated. Battled to 15 points back but really, I should have had a decent cut today.

Yup know exactly what you mean unfortunately. Medal yesterday and only 2nd round since changed my grip over winter. +1 thru 11 and then finished +8 with a par at the last just for buffer. Rolling Eyes As you say if I did it the other way round id be delighted but really should have had a decent cut.

Still didnt expect to be hitting it this well so soon after my lessons over the winter only positive I guess.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 29 Mar 2012 - 22:27

Sand wrote:

Yup know exactly what you mean unfortunately. Medal yesterday and only 2nd round since changed my grip over winter. +1 thru 11 and then finished +8 with a par at the last just for buffer. Rolling Eyes As you say if I did it the other way round id be delighted but really should have had a decent cut.

Still didnt expect to be hitting it this well so soon after my lessons over the winter only positive I guess.

Dont you just love how we how we cling to the positives as we emerge from a hard working winter;)

It is weird though that a better back 9 somehow instills a greater belief that we are making progress whilst a poor back 9 suggests that there is still work to be done...even if the score is the same or indeed the round with the better front 9 is lower overall. We all like to finish strongly.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 17:17

Today i played to 4 over handicap

With eleven 3 putts its not hard to see were I can improve and gain some shots.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 17:36

you must have played well- gutted when you putt like that mind!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 18:00

Its worse when i mention that 7 of them were from about 10 feet.

It was really horrible and demoralising,

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 31 Mar 2012 - 18:25

yeah its not great- were your greens super quick or something. My greens were so slick the other day- gone up a few points on the stimp from weeks before

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 7:33

Not posted for a while as been busy with interclub Matchplay season starting and also got through to 4BBB final where we won 3 and 1 , yahoo Very Happy

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 11:42

Played a new course yesterday and couldn't figure out the breaks on the greens at all. They were running at 10 on the stump-meter.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 19:04

Played my first match for my club in the inter club penfold league. We lost the overall match 2-1, but my partner and I won our game from out of nowhere really.

We were playing against Ruxley Park at their course, which I have to say and this will sound harsh, was in worse condition that a lot of sunday league football pitches I've played on in the depths of winter.

The fairways were like dust and they had pick and place in operation but even with that it was hard to find something other than dirt to put your ball on. The greens were so in no way receptive, on several occasions where one of the players in our 4 ball hit a wedge into the green the ball bounced up a good 10 feet in the air on the green and through the back. This may sound like an exaggeration but throughout the game our opponents apologised to the point where I felt sorry for them, the 2nd green had only 25percent of it in play as someone had been riding a motorbike over it.

Combine all this with some really bizarre holes and very strangely worked out yardages, it would take anyone that's not played this course at least 9holes to work out how to play the place and that's how it seemed to work out!

Anyway, the league format is 4bbb matchplay, I was getting 2 shots and my partner 6, one of our opponents was getting 8. So pretty even split you would think except we were 5down after 9 as the guy getting 8 shots parred 2 shot holes and birdied the other 2, combined with 1hole where my partner and I royally screwed up we were basically out of the match.

I think that worked in our favour as they seemed to relax a little and we just thought well let's go for it! We managed to win 10, though I couldn't work out how my drive that I hit down the left side of the fairway which was flat no slope ended up 40yards right of where it landed in trees on the right! My partner won that with a 4nett 3 and that was our turning point, we won the next 2 holes with a birdie each, to get it back to just 2 down. Then somehow managed a half a the next from the fodder. We then managed to square it winning the next 2 holes and remained that way coming down the 18th. Where we managed to win as my partner got a par nett birdie. So fully satisfying coming back from the deficit just a shame the team lost, though the team captain did say Ruxley have a near 100% home record because the course is always in such poor condition away teams struggle to get a result.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sun 1 Apr 2012 - 19:09

Net 66. Boom. Greens starting to play really well.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 16:04

Funny old game.
Played quite nicely except a couple of stiffy tops early on.
Eight 4's, 9 fives and a 6. So you could say steady stuff.
Never looked like getting a 3 in fact I was lucky to get a couple of 4's on the short holes.
Course and weather pretty good.
I putted well with good 'feel' but did not hole a putt until a 12 footer went in on 18 for the match. he he!

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 16:10

Good stuff doon, you must have missed the snow we have been having over in Edinburgh today.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 17:30

Hi Mac
It has been lovely here in Ayrshire.
Played in a roll neck and one of those lightweight golf jacket thingies and was almost too warm. Beautiful sunshine now.
I was over at Gullane yesterday, courses did not seem to be to busy but the village was. More cyclists than golfers.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 10 Apr 2012 - 18:05

Doon

I played gullane in about 20c a few weeks back, it was fabulous.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 11 Apr 2012 - 12:17

Captains drive in comp last saturday slightly soured by the club general manager calling me on friday afternoon to ask me to make sure I paid my subs before playing'to avoid any problems'quote(subs were due 1st April but I hadnt been anywhere near the place).Bit heavy handed.
Played an am am and we all scored fairly well on the front nine playing sensible but then started taking chances chasing points after one bad hole on the back.Back tees so fairly happy as the greens have been treated with a machine which cuts a series of slits and injects sand.probably looks worse than it is but definielty cost a couple of short putts.Looking forward to getting in to it again.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperTanker Wed 11 Apr 2012 - 14:10

First time post on golf board, so please go easy.

Long Drive competition in London last week royally screwed up my game for the weekend... but not the driving. Well not just my driving. Always had a fast swing but I battled all last year and the start of this to keep all my drives in play and was really getting there. My scores were dropping massively. Then Taylormade show up with the opportunity for 5 people to win an R11s or Rocketballz driver (or a full set for top dog). Queue (trying to) hit some massive drives on their simulator and (fingers crossed) my 337 yard drive looks to have won me a driver...

So, onto the round. Driving wasn't actually too bad by then end. Only one not in play; 9th hole par 4 310 yard up hill, slightest following breeze. Playing 3 off the tee end up pin high and hole the 6 footer for par - which was to be about the only one of the day... Lost all tempo with every iron shot greater than a little lob; annoying as I had put some time into getting a better tempo with my irons all winter.

Felt like I hacked around all day and ended up 5 over handicap. Going to hit the range, leave the driver at home and start back trying to control my uncontrollable swing

SuperTanker

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 11 Apr 2012 - 16:24

Meant to mention on the 9th my playing partner nearly took out his father and then the new captain (who had only been captain for about 2 hours) with a thinned 3 wood cut onto the adjoining 18th.The captain went down in reaction as the ball hit a tiny tree a few yards behind him

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 11 Apr 2012 - 19:32

this thread is about to be locked as it hits its post limit. i've set up a fresh one.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20