The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+77
number1hacker
lorus59
4putt
matelot golfer
jockneyboy
Simba
mystiroakey
Mary
No1yankee
tarka
Marcus
oldparwin
Shotrock
JAS
hend085
shclaff
jeffkenna
1GrumpyGolfer
MustPuttBetter
ralphjohn69
Eyetoldyouso
Rangiora
JohnnyH
puligny
Humpyd
Bob_the_Job
Sand
Bagman
super_realist
Diggers
Adam D
Yadsendew
Hibbz
baboo800
Skydriver
cornwell74
beninho
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
dynamark
JPX
golfermartin
kwinigolfer
The_Phenom
raycastleunited
Baggiesfan_golfer
Rossa
BlueCoverman
DazBoredAtWork
birdie
Redrage
Doon the Water
Onetoanother
GG
5531stuart
sharrison01
SmithersJones
navyblueshorts
liegerwoods
Nay
haystongolfer
graeme
Lairdy
Mercurio
McLaren
Caf
Noshankingtonite
goodwalkspoiled
barragan
goldwolf
LadyPutt
Doc
GWR-Golfer
Maverick
oldshanker
LondonJonnyO
drive4show
Davie
81 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Tell us about your game today... Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by Davie Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:01 am

.. or yesterday or whenever your last game happened.

I played this morning - just a bounce game with one of my regular partners.

There had been a big competition yesterday at the club so the course was a bit quieter today than one might expect for a Sunday. 11:20 tee off as a two-ball and lots of other two balls out there with a couple of quick 4-balls so pace of play was brisk.

Those who have read my posts recently will know that I've been suffering with a nasty foot/ankle injury for a few months and it's just great to be out there at all at the moment. Thankfully the foot came through with flying colours though I think I've been favouring it for the last couple of weeks still and after the game today my knee was playing up but with luck that will just be a temporary setback.

A glorious day though in the Thames Valley with above average temperatures and the course was in remarkable nick for mid March.

The match itself was close for a long way. I felt I was playing reasonably well after not playing much of the winter and after losing the 2nd I levelled it on the 3rd and was one up after nine. Though I felt I was playing better than my opponent I couldn't shake him and he hung in there until I went 2 up on 15. Closed it out on 16 but was made to work for it.

Although it was matchplay I kept an estimated Stableford score and came in with 32 (estimated) points which I wasn't too disappointed with given lack of recent regular play. One NR and a couple of holes where a 3 pointer was well withing my grasp and ended with 1 point (short game was actually pretty good apart from those two nightmares)

Now looking forward to next weekend and a Stableford competition where I've been drawn with last year's captain and next year's!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by drive4show Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:22 am

Absolute shocker for me today. Our greens, which have been great recently, were hollow tined and top dressed last week so they were absolutely awful today. I made the big mistake of entering the medal so that was a stupid 0.1 handed back thanks to a nett 76. Almost entirely due to the bobbly greens, there were 3 putts everywhere. Every green was a different pace due to the amount of dressing required on each one. It's a necessary evil but thankfully they have been done early this year and in a couple of weeks they should be really good.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:20 am

not playing at the moment.

I've just about got the grip and setup changes sorted... although that's a week in front of a mirror looking at the positions and feeling it's right... and a week of gripping, moving, regripping a club whilst sitting on the sofa until it feels natural.

Now it's range work time with those new static positions fairly well set.

I hit about a hundred balls today. And predictably enough there were a few dodgy ones in there... but when I got hold of it the ball went forever. 180 6 irons... 220 3 irons... and I have no idea how far the few drivers I hit actually went!

It's going to be a long road. But worth it. The flight wasn't touched by the wind when I flushed one... and yet it was so flat but also so high. Came off and just kept going up. I think it's going to be very good once it's done. But it's gonna be a lot of months before I'm fully set with this.

Plus side.. the short game area at my new club means I'm getting very sharp on and around the greens again.
thumbsup
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:33 am

Stableford comp for me today and only 2nd game of the year. 29 points so not challenging for the lead then Doh

Good points: I am slowly learning not to wring the neck off the club when I grip it and a much more relaxed grip has given me a fairly consistent, straight length with the long clubs and also seems to have stopped that 'tight' pull!

I went the WHOLE round without 'twitching' a single putt! That is for me quite remarkable.

Bad points: my pitching was just abysmal and having taken my lob wedge out of the bag through lack of use, there were at least 6 delicate pitches over bunkers today that I could have used it on. It will be back in the bag tomorrow. Note to self.......try and hit the green Dopey!

All in all, not really very good, but it was a nice round and amazingly even though it was a comp, we were round in an unhurried and unpushed 4 hours.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:41 pm

Captains drive in weekend this week, so stableford competition
Only for me this week. Its been a struggle last couple of weeks though due to some serious knee pain in the left leg years of humping 100lbs of weight round the deserts and province for the army has taken its toll on my still young left knee joints. Surgery beckons in June so that'll be a 6 week lay off.

But have been combating that by using an element of S&T in my swing by loading 55-60% weight on left side at address as its when I usually get the weight transition onto left side in downswing I suffer so at the moment I'm playing but its help the discomfort.

Ball striking was crisp if not great, and short game got me out of a lot of trouble on more than one occasion so managed to chip and putt my way to 38points in some lovely conditions yesterday it was nice just to be out in the sunshine legs suffering a bit now so a days full rest is in order also means I get out of the wifes trip to bluewater!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Played in a qualifying medal comp. Started at the 10th as it was busy. triple bogey 7 - what a way to start. Then was -1 for next 6 holes, so i'm thinking ok your back in the game.... then stupid 2nd shot at the hard 17th and it's a double.

Didn't get annoyed and played steady until the 8th (my 17th) tricky par 3 into the wind, hooked a rescue and then tried a Seve recovery... walked of with a triple. So to the last (3rd hardest) a 3-wood followed by an 8 iron to 12 inches, great finish... so ended up with a gross 82 (includeing 2xtriples & 1xdouble)

At least i'm now starting to get the hang of my new irons... when I get it right they are just fabulous. All i need now is to get used to the heaver sing weight and stiff shafts.. it's taking time.

GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:47 pm

I played on Saturday at my away club in Yorkshire, and only managed to get 11-holes in due to some society struggling around. I had no driver as mine is being re-shafted, and was using the new Bettinardi BB25 for the first time in this country.

I only hit one bad shot and was 5-over after 11 with 28 points, so chuffed to bits. The new putter is awesome and if the greens had been in better nick would have dropped a couple of birdies. Playing again at the same place next Saturday with a driver this time, but you know how it goes, probably have a 'mare, but felt great since Saturday's round, its funny how a great round puts you in a good mood. Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Haven't played yet, but I went to the range yesterday to hit balls for the first time in 18th months and it was FANTASTIC! At last I can use my hips in my swing with no pain, can swing through to a proper finish and LordPutt reckonds I had gained about 30 yards with my driver, and that was using poxy range balls. To say I am ecstatic is an understatement Yahoo

I'll now do a few more range sessions before I start playing 9 holes (I want to walk the course rather than use a buggy which defeats the object) and plan to be playing properly in a couple of months or so. I'm also starting at a new gym today so I should be really fit soon.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:27 pm

LadyPutt wrote:Haven't played yet, but I went to the range yesterday to hit balls for the first time in 18th months and it was FANTASTIC! At last I can use my hips in my swing with no pain, can swing through to a proper finish and LordPutt reckonds I had gained about 30 yards with my driver, and that was using poxy range balls.

Are bionic enhancements legal under the R&A jurisdication LP?
Whistle
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:29 pm

I bleedin' well hope so!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37 pm

LP I had to re-read the bit about the extra 30-yards, I thought you said pounds Very Happy

Good luck with the recovery and don't rush it, I would get a trolly instead of carrying, or get LordPutt to cassy for you 8)

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:39 pm

LadyPutt wrote:I bleedin' well hope so!

LP, you could always plead ignorance Very Happy

Congrats on the return to good health! thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:05 pm

Not sure if this is getting through but here goes.......

Shot a 70 on saturday +3 38 front -3 32 on the back 9 with 5 birdies. Felt a bit like my old self again, and this round might have tipped the scales back in favour of renewing my membership for this season. Nice to play in glorious sunshine and short sleeves! Smile

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:10 pm

goldwolf wrote:Not sure if this is getting through but here goes.......

Shot a 70 on saturday +3 38 front -3 32 on the back 9 with 5 birdies. Felt a bit like my old self again, and this round might have tipped the scales back in favour of renewing my membership for this season. Nice to play in glorious sunshine and short sleeves! Smile

Well done Goldy, I envy you thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Doc wrote:LP I had to re-read the bit about the extra 30-yards, I thought you said pounds Very Happy

Good luck with the recovery and don't rush it, I would get a trolly instead of carrying, or get LordPutt to cassy for you 8)

Thanks Doc. I've got an electric trolley - with a seat attachment Very Happy so no problem there. It's just the walking that kills me at the moment - achilles tendon trouble. I'll be 100% fit one day!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:51 pm

missed 4 GIR on saturday and shot +6, ouch. couldn't hole a putt to save myself, only nailed 1 birdie from 11 opportunities inside 20 feet. still, it was a beautiful day and the company was good.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by goodwalkspoiled Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:11 am

Saturday afternoon

5 over after 4 but..................... 4 over after 18. You can safely say I played better from the 5th onwards !

Smile

goodwalkspoiled
goodwalkspoiled

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:54 am

Played in medal a week ago. Greens not in great shape and my putting was Poopie! Can't wait for the greens to run faster and truer which may take a month or two. Still hitting my drives really well and still maintain that those 'no friction' tees have made a difference in terms of strike quality off the tee with driver, 3-wood and hybrid alike. Nett 76 means that I am back up .1 which is not what I wanted to achieve with Saunton Open just around the corner Cry
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Caf Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:40 am

had a good start yesterday had 22 points on front with only
16 on the back . On the back 9 eagled the 12 hole my first in competition
Good drive to 90-100 yards. Took out 58 degree wedge , hit it great
look good all the way and went in . Could not believe it. Scratched 10 hole
2 double bogeys to finish on 17 and 18. Missed out on a prizes .
Sure is there always next week.

The eagle made it worth while though.

Caf

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:44 am

Maverick wrote:
Ball striking was crisp if not great, and short game got me out of a lot of trouble on more than one occasion so managed to chip and putt my way to 38points in some lovely conditions yesterday it was nice just to be out in the sunshine legs suffering a bit now so a days full rest is in order also means I get out of the wifes trip to bluewater!

May I suggest that you missing the trip to Bluewater means that she will have total purchasing control and the credit cards....
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:14 am

Sounds like most people had a good time over the weekend.

Good news about you getting back to fighting weight LP.............

...............and we have a new leader in the 606 eclectic. Even after being cut to scratch, JDandFries is now standing at 17 under! thumbsup
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:59 am

Impossible.

The wind was so strong that I had to hit a 3 wood from about 160 at one point. It didn't even make at after a slight mis-hit. I have not faced that sort of wind since it got unplayable once at Kilspindie.

I managed to make two birdies on the way but one was one of the few downwind holes, a par five.

For this time of year, about the 5 round mark and no range work, you could do without the wind maximising all the little faults that crept in over the hibernation period.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:26 am

After being level par for 5 of the first 6 holes (unfortunately, I had a triple on the 4th), I crashed to +18 round after the remaining 12 holes and my handicap has risen again to 15.6 (low 15.1).

It's now time to practice, which I haven't done since October even though I said my first three months of this year would be based around practicing.

End of the year goal: to have been a 12 handicapper during the year.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:35 pm

sounds like fun mac, where were you?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:58 pm

Played well again on saturday there. 80 for a 67 and 36 points. Driving and putting is going well. Irons improving but short game needs a lot of practice! I feel like my putts per round stat of 35-36 putts per round betrays how well I am actually putting. The first putt on a green is always from miles away from the hole. I lag most of them up pretty well, scare the hole on some of the relatively shorter ones and not scared of those left over 6footers. Just need to sharpen the pitch shots and chipping around the green. Still off our winter tees at the weekend there and kept leaving myself the 70 yard pitch shot, which I never really got to within 20feet of the hole...

Think, generally, on approach shots I just need to pay more attention to the lie, lining up and the club path. Still when we are back on the white tees soon I'll be around the 90-100 yard shot in, which I find easier.

Started my winter league at 15.4 and now at 12.8, winter league handicap only. National is still 15.4. Had some lessons over winter and starting to strike the ball much better out there. Looking forward to my 1st medal this year when my handicap goes back to 15!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:36 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:
Maverick wrote:

May I suggest that you missing the trip to Bluewater means that she will have total purchasing control and the credit cards....

LJ this is. A mistake I shall not make again she has left my bank account considerably lighter would have thought she has all the maternity clothes she need considering our youngest is only 7months but know a whole new wardrobe for her and she detoured to the driving range on way home and bought my year old daughter a set of Ping Junior clubs for her new found love of the game, our 5 year old a little set of Callaways which he loves a very natural swinger he is, plus a little set of pings for our 4year old daughter as she now wants to play properly as the other 2 are!!! To say a little light in the bank dept now is an understatement.

Took myself off to a work/golf day today to recover from it! Played at the course I used to as a junior before they shortened it considerably to play with a new client was interesting to be back there used to be a par 72 championship course very tough track but is now a Par 68, used the Driver on the 3 par 5's only and birdied them all as longest 2nd shot was a 6iron. Drove 2 par 4's one with a 3wood the other with a rescue, birdied thos as well, plus birdied 3 par 3's so was at 1 stage 9under par on course for a 59!! Until I over clubbed on the short Par 3 18th and sent my tee shot OOB onto the clubhouse balcony! Ended up taking a double bogie 5 for a -7, 61 have to say it all finally clicked today what I've been working on all winter and the short irons were spot on. Now to transfer that to my home course, also helped me seal the deal for a support contract which is much need to combat the wifes spending!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:08 am

@mac, i had a round like that a week or so ago. we were down to 3 woods for a 140yd downhill par 3! lost 2 to the watery gods of the north sea, which isn't bad considering. my stance must have been 4ft wide just to try and keep my balance and some putts would run uphill to the hole into the wind and then slowly turn and be blown back to where you'd putted from or beyond.

had a very good round on sunday for my "new" swing. i've historically hit either dead straight or a fade, or push, or pushed fade when it gets bad (not out and out slice but not far off it). i went for the entire round only fading 2 shots, one of which was intentional and worked (and a few putts ;-)) and seem to be developing a draw. if i can continue to slow/ quieten my hands down a tad (which is part of the process), i'll stop hooking the odd drive which is still there occasionally.

very pleasing as i can really feel my backswing and set up has changed and the motion to get into position at the top of the backswing is becoming the norm now (was all to do with my flying right elbow which is now nicely tucked in!). chipping wasn't too bad either and i think i only left one putt short at the beginning of the round.

it'll all go to b0ll0x in the medal on saturday though ;-)

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:25 am

Didn't get a game this weekend....got up on Saturday morning....got showered,changed and ready to go only for the missus to say to me that I should build the IKEA furniture first or else my dinner would be in the dug. Thought briefly about growing a pair and just going but then thought "what the what" and capitulated like a real wuss.

Paid off though heart

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:42 am

Venturing back out again tomorrow (Saturday) after missing last weekend. Typical after finally (I hope) recovering from the foot injury I suffered all winter, my comeback was delayed by a twisted knee!

Anyway, tomorrow is first Medal of the year and I've not had much practise so it could all get messy. I'll be happy if I get around 18 holes with foot/knee pretty much unscathed - and if I can hit my buffer zone (or better) then that would be a nice bonus!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:45 am

Lesson day for me tomorrow.

Going to see how these first changes to grip and setup and taking hold (although I have changed my takeaway a little myself as well)

The striking seems to be getting better but there is still a bad hook in there.

I expect it to get worse when I hit the course come sunday.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:51 am

18 hole Foursomes medal comp for me tomorrow, my partner is bang on form after shooting -2 in last week's medal so hoping we can post a decent score.

All the work has now been completed on the greens a couple of weeks ago so after a decent spell of weather they should be getting much better Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:43 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:Lesson day for me tomorrow.

Going to see how these first changes to grip and setup and taking hold (although I have changed my takeaway a little myself as well)

The striking seems to be getting better but there is still a bad hook in there.

I expect it to get worse when I hit the course come sunday.

I also play with the nagging feeling that there is a bad hook about to take hold on any shot. My best golf definitely coincides with periods of hitting a natural fade not a hook.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:39 pm

Todays game tee's off in 1hour so I'm already at the course and currently having a warm up in the sun! Looking forward to today, our clubs having its inaugural Masters weekend a 2 day 36 hole event, with only the top 44 and ties making cut for tomorrows final round and then everyone will be out in pairs with leaders out last.

Should be fun and the overall winner gets a Green Shirt with the club logo and name on a new shiny board, and gets the privilege of his group going off the first tee in all comps for rest of year and in next years masters event he has to wear the green shirt on final day (as he is immune from cut) and presents the new winner with a green shirt

Have to say am looking forward to it. Will let you know how I get on

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:00 pm

Sounds like a cool comp to win Smile

Good Luck

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:55 am

feckity feck. we've got non-golfing friends visiting for a few days, the weather is fantastic and i'd feel/ be made to feel really bad if i buggered off for a cheeky round.

i've been getting a fair amount of practice in and am absolutely gagging to get my first medal round of the year underway. missed another today...

might have to get up v early tomorrow morning and get 18 in before everyone's up ;-)

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:07 am

played today 73-3=70 first big tourney of thr year

happy with resul tand should get in top ten easy with that score.

happy days !!!!!

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:09 am

Mav that sounds a great idea for an annual competition! Would love to join in something like that

Major mixed feelings about today. Monthly "C" medal and as I've not played that much recently with the bad weather over the winter, plus a busted foot and then the knee tweak, I'd have taken my score today if offered on the 1st tee like a shot!

Net 71 (par 70) was the final score but two under my handicap with two holes to go. 17th is a serious card wrecker (par 3 signature hole over water with a bail-out area to the left). Aimed to the left with my natural fade and just missed being all over the flag by about 6" - ended in the water. Net bogey for that hole and same on the 18th which I usually play quite well for a 1 over handicap finish which I thought mught just get me into top 10. Turned out net pars on 17 and 18 would have given me 2nd place but ended up 5th instead (2 under CSS I think which will at least give me a cut but no cigar)

Should be delighted with what I did (I suppose I am really given lack of play recently) - but my head is full of "what ifs"

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:58 pm

Arh the what ifs and whys the bain of a golfers life.

Have to say yesterday the club was buzzing, for the first round of this event, they opened up the event in a very angc manner, as its the first event there were no former champions to hit the opening tee shots, so instead we had the club Pro and Captain taking up the mantle, Pro hit a lovely shot dead straight, Captain managed a shank you can imagine the roar of laughter at that one.

My own round started very solidly nothing outstanding just fairways and greens for 7 straight pars before the first birdie of th day then another par to finish the front nine -1. Then into the scoring zone on our course where there's 2 risk reward par4's and a par 5 before the tough inward stretch. Played the 3 scoring holes the best I ever have since joining the new club in december, eagled the par 4 10th after driving the green, holed a 6 footer for birde at the 11th, chipped in for par at 12, and got a 2 putt birdie at the par 13th hole, so managed to be -5 after 13 holes, but then bogied the long 14th after a poor tee shot, which brought me back down to earth.

Worked my way back into the 18th tee witha series of pars at 15. 16 and 17. Our 18th is a par 3 but depending on the tee placement can play as little as 145 or as long as 205. But tee placement was at 160, hit a nice smooth 8iron though it was all over the pin till i got the gust of wind and just managed to get onto front fringe. Left me with a 40footer, thoughts at this moment were of a nice 2putt for a gross 68 -4under, instead the putt wound its way left to right and just dropped in the side door for a birdie and a round of -5 under 67 my best ever competitive round at my new course.

Am headed off to the course now im out in the penultimate group with a 10 handicap guy whom i've never played with, he shot a 77 net 67 yesterday and the final pairing are out after us one guys an 11handicap the other a 15 and there score yesterday were nett 65 and 66 repsectively, so everyone was making the most of good conditions yesterday.

Im under no illusions that even though im only 2 behind that I will win, I will do as always my best and try to go low again and try my best for the win, but in essence im giving away at least 10 shots to the nearest guys around me if you go by handicap and if the cinditions stay the same and calm today it will be tough to claw back those 2 shots but i'd like a bit of a breeze out there and im told by the club pro the pins are going to be in club championship/pro am placements e.g tucked behind bunkers or up on shelfs etc to toughen it up like a masters sunday, so if thats the case i have a good chance.

Guys may i say suggest this comp to your clubsbecause it has all at my club buzzing, even my old man who has been disillusioned with the game in recent weeks, since he made the cut right on the line at +3 he thinks its about how he can come through the field to clam victory that no-one though possible (he thinks he's a 12 old i swear it)

But would be great to pull on that green shirt and be the firstone to do it

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Great round Mav; good luck for today. Sounds like a fun competition.

Wish I could say I did as well yesterday. Driving and putting pretty decent but irons were being hit by Charlie Chunkshot. 78 (7 over, off 4); not good. Weather was nice though so an enjoyable game Smile.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:26 am

Disappointing weekend for me. Was supposed to be playing 18 foursomes comp yesterday but we were out quite late and nobody else put their names down on the sheet so nobody to mark our card. Just played a bounce game with a bit of practice thrown in.

Medal today, great conditions but the greens are still a bit slow and bumpy and I just didn't hole a putt despite giving myself a few chances. Finished up with a very disappointing 78 (72) to make the buffer but could have been so much better Rolling Eyes

Last edited by drive4show on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:44 am

First medal of the year yesterday. Short game much improved but long game gone to complete sh*t, reloaded no fewer than 9 times, 7 off the tee, one in the water and another oob. Whole group played rubbish, including one guy who walked off after hitting his 3rd ball into the same pond on the 6th.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:45 am

Just returned from the club, and I'm excited to say I've have the very first Green Shirt awarded by the club. Shot a final round and 2nd consecutive -5, 67 for a 2 round total of -10. To win by a single shot. Played solidly throughout except for the bogey at the final hole ball plugged in bunker against back lip, had to play out backwards then up and down from there. So I thought my chance had gone.

But the 15 handicapper in final group put his tee shot in the same bunker I did but he took another 4 shots to get in the hole for a 5 net 4. Meaning I'd won by a single stroke. Had he par'd the hole I'd have lost by 1, had he made bogie we'd have been in a playoff. So his misfortune and hard luck was my good luck. Mr Senior Mav played round of his life and got from Cutline score to a tie for 10th and my brother finished in a tie for 6th. So a good weekend for family Mav.

Have to say I feel proud knowing I'm the 1st ever winner of the event even though it wasn't because I holed a winning putt! Even more so that I get to play every comp this year now from the 1st tee, get to play the opening shot at next years event and hand out the jersey to the man who takes over my mantle and 1st name on board at my new club. But even prouder of that green jersey. A few sherberts tonight watching the real thing and then plot next years title defence. All this and now a step closer to this years goal of a handicap of +1

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:32 am

Well done Mav - Yahoo

It sounds like this competition is a winner as well. It takes quite a bit to get everyone excited at a golf club, but this has managed it and piggy backed on the real thing.

A stroke of inspiration by someone.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:58 am

Congrats Mav - any win is worthy of congratulation but that one sounds pretty special even though (or maybe because of?) it was the first time the event had been held. Were you playing off scratch?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:07 am

Yes Davie I played off scratch, got cut to scratch from 1end of last year now want to get a + handicap so that's made the win feel even sweeter as I beat the handicap guys.

OS the comp was the brain child of our captain he has done it so that this year we have the Masters event as a permanent edition it was fantastic, and he is sorting something for the US Open and PGA weekends too. He has also move the club championship weekend to coincide with the Open so we get our champion golfer at the same time. The emphasis to make more of the majors and make club players feel a part of the big occasions

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:07 am

well done mav. great start to the season and good luck getting to + hcap.

no winners cheque for me at the weekend but i did pick up 3rd spot in the rosebowl which is played between the two clubs that play out of troon.

73-3=70 and £30 in my tail. down to 3.1 Very Happy

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Not so much a game but a visit to the range last night...

Did not want to go at all as have had a long and tiring week at work. Have been playing more than practising recently and my last couple of rounds have felt a bit lucky in that I scored well but played poorly due to some bad habits creeping in that need ironing out on the range.

Got a bucket of 100 balls for a couple of hours practise. Hit about 35 of them and left in disgust - actually managed to shank my driver at one point!

Proved that despite my best intentions, when not in the mood don't play...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:26 am

Had the day off today so went up to the club and played in the old boys rollup. Straight onto the course without warming up, played with a couple of duffers so didn't really concentrate and ended up just nobbling it round the front 9.

Decided to concentrate on the back 9, played it in level with 1 birdie and 1 bogey. Pretty pleased really as Sunday is my first scratch open of the season.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:31 am

Interesting day on the course today to say the least! Played solid shot -1, but today was all about my 11 year old daughter and he new found obsession with her dads favourite past time, I've taken jer and my 5year old son round the muni 9 hole par 3 on a few trips now and she at last plucked up the courage to ask Mrs Mav if she could become a fully fledged junior at dads course. The mrs found out what was required from my club and was told fees were £200 a year for under 15's and that she had to participate in a round with dad, club rules chairman and Junior organiser supposedly as a meet and greet and to establish her genuine interest for playing and to ensure she would not wreak havoc on the course! Bizarre as full members don't get a playing interview but a slight 11yr old girl does! To say an intimidating scenario at least for her.

But we accepted as its the way the club does things! So we set off at midday today as juniors are not permitted out before then at weekends in the summer she played off of the ladies forward tee and before she tee'd off she asked me is it normal to feel nervous before playing and do I think she is good enough. Queue proud dad moment saying don't worry about being good enough just play your game and no matter what you score I'll be proud and the day your not nervous is the day you don't enjoy playing.

Then the Junior organiser turns round and says hope we not out here all day last thing I can be bothered with is a young girl hacking round! Meaning she was more nervous and dad had a polite word in his shell like to say about etiqutte! Queue imposing stare at the J/O from the rules man!

Anyway round under way and she shot a nice solid 49 front nine. J/O shot 47!
Back nine she hit some cracking shots even made a birdie at a par 3 her first ever she was so proud (not half as proud as dad) and she shot an inward 9 of 45 for a gross score of 94 over a par 72, so she broke the 100 barrier in her first proper round the J/O shot 97!

Walking off green proud dad gave her a hug, the Rules man congratulated on a great round and said how he felt she would be a credit to the club. Only for J/O to complain at being shown up by an 11yr old girl, and to then say in his opinion she should wait at least 5 years to join as there are no other girls at our club and he was not sure he wanted a girl in the junior section!! This was all in clubhouse and before I could go into my tirade at him the Rules guy tore him off a strip demanded his resignation as J/O for his behaviour pre and post round, then he walked off to get club secretary who he told about what happened, secretary in bar in front of everyone relieved J/O of his position and signed of authorisation my daughters membership in front of himand took 50quid off the fee for good standing and allowed her card for todays round to be submitted as her first handicap card at +22.

So she is now a member without a J/O soon to be rectified I hope and underway towards her goal of being like Yani Tseng.

Despite all she'd been thru her only question to the club secretary was "one day do you think I can be as good as Yani Tseng" he replied in a great way "my dear with scores like that after 1 round you can be as good as you want to be" I now have new found respect for the man, am proud of my daughter and now wondering is it really a surprise therek4 hardly any girls in the game when there are organsiers with such poor attitude to girls

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:41 am

Maverick wrote:...so she broke the 100 barrier in her first proper round the J/O shot 97!

Walking off green proud dad gave her a hug, the Rules man congratulated on a great round and said how he felt she would be a credit to the club. Only for J/O to complain at being shown up by an 11yr old girl, and to then say in his opinion she should wait at least 5 years to join as there are no other girls at our club and he was not sure he wanted a girl in the junior section!! This was all in clubhouse and before I could go into my tirade at him the Rules guy tore him off a strip demanded his resignation as J/O for his behaviour pre and post round, then he walked off to get club secretary who he told about what happened, secretary in bar in front of everyone relieved J/O of his position and signed of authorisation my daughters membership in front of himand took 50quid off the fee for good standing and allowed her card for todays round to be submitted as her first handicap card at +22...

WHAT a moron! The J/O I mean. Sounds like he got exactly what he deserved and sounds like your daughter may be one to watch in future. Congrats.

We had a really useless J/O when I was Junior Captain at my first club. Only reason he did it was so he was on a Committee; pathetic man. It's not simply a junior girl thing; I think many places have too many members who don't encourage their juniors enough.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next