The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!!

+42
DaveVDK
oxring
Nico the gman
ReallyReal
djlovesyou
Gerflagenflople
Steffan
TopHat24/7
Mind the windows Tino.
BoxingFan88
Super D Boon
AlexHuckerby
kevchadders
d260005p
88Chris05
Knowsit17
KingMonkey
HumanWindmill
Guest82
two_tone
Imperial Ghosty
easthfc
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
The Galveston Giant
Fernando
tommyhearnsprodigalson
Boxtthis
azania
J.Benson II
Sugar Floyd Louis
hogey
coxy0001
talkingpickle
Adam D
trottb
joeyjojo618
Rowley
fearlessBamber
paperbag_puncher
manos de piedra
Il Gialloblu
Waingro
46 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Should the decision in the Khan against Peterson fight be oveturned??

Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 3 Vote_lcap87%Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 3 Vote_rcap 87% 
[ 53 ]
Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 3 Vote_lcap13%Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 3 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 61

Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 3 Empty Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!!

Post by Waingro Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:08 am

First topic message reminder :

This is what Khan has to say:

"It was like I was against two people in there - the referee and Lamont himself,"

"All I want is a fair fight. This is what Amir Khan is all about. This is the character I am. I like to have a good tear up and put in good performances."

"I knew it would be tough against him in his home town and this is why boxing has not been in Washington DC for 20 years - because you get a decision like that." "A robbery".

"I was the cleaner fighter".

"We have appealed. In the next seven to ten days we should find out and it should be overturned."

"I was treated unfairly during the fight. Lamont Peterson's coach even said to me that he knows how it feels to be robbed."

"The referee was from Washington so he was always going to favour the home fighter. He walks the streets of DC so if he was fair and took points off Peterson he'd be hated in Washington. "

"My titles were snatched off me unfairly. I don't think he'll be refereeing a big fight again."

"I want a rematch in a neutral place with a neutral referee and neutral judges. Not Washington or the UK, somewhere like Las Vegas would be fine."

What do people think should the decision be overturned like in the Hopkins and Dawson fight?

Imo if the fight is overturned there is no point for Khan to fight Peterson again why would he need a rematch he already beat him? I think he should fight Brook after this would be a great fight back in the UK Khan needs to forget about Mayweather who would school him I think Bradley would beat him too. Brook is quality and would beat Khan it is a fight I would love to see.

It would be good for British boxing if this result was overturned we would have another world champ it would also send out a message that robberies will not be tolerated and must be stamped out I just wish Murray, Macklin and Chisora had also appealed and got their results overturned we could have even more world champions. I think it is good that Khan is apealing hopefully it will be overturned and this will send a message to the judges in the Ward and Froch fight to be fair. Look at what to Lewis against Holyfield aswell that was another robbery which should have been overturned. Will we see less robberies now that fighters can appeal and get decisions overturned? I hope so because it is ruining the sport lets hope Khans appeal will be a success and he can get his titles back and get on with his career and hopefully fight Brook or maybe Bradley!

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!!

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:00 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Well that's that sorted then, king steffie says Khan won so therefore the relevant bodies should order an immediate rematch.

We fully expect King Coxys support on this one

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Khan launches Appeal to overturn Hometown decision!!

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:02 pm

trottb wrote:With the backing of Waingro! There's a new duo in town to change the world of boxing forever

LOL

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:05 pm

I had Khan losing 113-112, but it was an extremely close fight and the ref did warn him about pushing Peterson off. It's not like he had a night like whatshisface did when Reid fought Ottke i.e. warning Reid for punching Ottke in the face.

I'd only like to see a rematch as the first fight was fun to watch in all honesty, Khan doesn't deserve one in terms of being robbed first time round.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:08 pm

Khan will still go on to bigger things and have a more successful than Peterson. Lamont may have won this battle but he will never win the war

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerflagenflople Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:16 pm

It seems relatively straight forward to me, Khan effectively lost this fight rather than being beaten due to the deductions. He can blame the ref, the judges or whoever he wishes at the end of the day if you are warned by the ref for doing something wrong then stop doing it.

It's hardly rocket science. Felt sorry for him the same way as i did for Marquez after the fight, but he had his tantrum and threw his toys out of the pram, it's time to suck it up and move on before you alienate what fans you have left who are still willing to pay to watch your fights.

Gerflagenflople

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:20 pm

azania wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:
azania wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:No problem with Khan saying he thinks he won a close fight - in fact, I agree seeing as I had it 113-112 for him even after the deductions.

But that doesn't excuse him spouting bile such as 'this is why there hasn't been a title fight in DC for twenty years', or launching an absolutely pathetic appeal when, quite frankly, he has nothing to appeal against.

He has ground given the anomily in the scorecards.

What 'anomaly'? The fact that some judges score close rounds differently? Give it a rest Azania. This appeal is foul and will, quite rightly, come to nothing.

R7 I believe. The score of 10 points for Khan was changed to 8 points. Taking into account the point deduction, it should be 9 points.

Personally I dont like any appeal against decisions. Suck it up and move on. But if there was an error, then why not appeal the decision?

If you look carefully, you'll see that Khan wasn't deducted two points in this round. Whoever was writing them in (this wasn't the judges official scorecard was it?) wrote in 10-8 to Khan instead of 10-8 to Peterson. It was a simple mistake in copying from the actual scorecard. Not sure they're going to get anywhere with that appeal.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:25 pm

If he fought the last half of the fight with the same intention he showed in the fist half, there'd be no arguements as Khan was clearly the better boxer, sadly though he seemed to let himself get into a brawl, if he had brains, or those in his corner did, they'd have made sure he boxed instead of regressing into an after pub type fight.

As for his complaint, if there is anything at all dodgy about the scorecards, then the result must be declared void and the judges in question never allowed near a ring again, if there is nothing dodgy found, he simply needs to apologise to all concerned (like that will ever happen), get back to his training, learn from his mistakes and make sure he never allows someone who clearly has less talent than him from nicking a victory.

This whole fiasco does raise the issue of scoring again though, why are ridiculously one sided rounds still scored 10-9, are aggressive fighters scored higher than accurate punchers, how can any world title fight be judged by local judges instead of ones from neutral nations?
There are probably another 30 valid questions that boxing still won't address and until it does there will still be many many fans (like me) who are convinced that the sport as a whole is as riddled with corruption at least as much as any other sport, though personally with the 2 deductions, I think this fight was probably a draw.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:53 pm

djlovesyou wrote:
azania wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:
azania wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:No problem with Khan saying he thinks he won a close fight - in fact, I agree seeing as I had it 113-112 for him even after the deductions.

But that doesn't excuse him spouting bile such as 'this is why there hasn't been a title fight in DC for twenty years', or launching an absolutely pathetic appeal when, quite frankly, he has nothing to appeal against.

What 'anomaly'? The fact that some judges score close rounds differently? Give it a rest Azania. This appeal is foul and will, quite rightly, come to nothing.

R7 I believe. The score of 10 points for Khan was changed to 8 points. Taking into account the point deduction, it should be 9 points.

Personally I dont like any appeal against decisions. Suck it up and move on. But if there was an error, then why not appeal the decision?

If you look carefully, you'll see that Khan wasn't deducted two points in this round. Whoever was writing them in (this wasn't the judges official scorecard was it?) wrote in 10-8 to Khan instead of 10-8 to Peterson. It was a simple mistake in copying from the actual scorecard. Not sure they're going to get anywhere with that appeal.

Finally, someone else noticed that/pointed it out. If ever there was a blinkered view of things it's people (Az) looking at that card and seeing some kind of conspiracy as Khan's score was changed from 10 to 8, but not looking an inch to the right to see the opposite was done to Peterson's card - so clear a mistake it was unreal. Khan's 'score' wasn't changed, just entered incorrectly into the master card.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:58 pm

The american boxing fraternity are not going to take kindly to Khan trying to win his belts back on an appeal, it comes over as bad losing whingeing Brit.

I fail to see how this result gets overturned,Khan can't deny he was warned about pushing and he can't deny he hit Peterson on the break he should take it like a man and move on.

Perhaps Khan's camp should appeal on the grounds that this was a routine defense and Peterson had the sheer audacity not to read the script, thus upsetting mega fights and therefore Peterson should be brought to task by the governing bodies.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:08 pm

Nico the gman wrote:Perhaps Khan's camp should appeal on the grounds that this was a routine defense and Peterson had the sheer audacity not to read the script, thus upsetting mega fights and therefore Peterson should be brought to task by the governing bodies.

Yep. Golden boy's goose is looking decidedly under-dressed in this colder weather - after Peterson well and truly plucked it last weekend.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:10 pm

Peterson should tell Khan if he wants a rematch then he has to drop the appeal.

Seems a bit audacious for Khan to demand and expect Peterson to give him a rematch when hes actively trying to get the guy stripped.

One thing Kan has in his favour though is that he great value. Il always tune into his fights.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 15 Dec 2011, 5:18 pm

Yep enjoyed the fight myself but agree with what your saying Manos, lets hope Peterson doesn't make a voluntary first and lo and behold loses, particularily if its against a certain Mr Bradley,we've got some bad news Amir, OH dear!

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:26 pm

The whole fight in washington was very fishy Khan has to take some of the blame he is overrated and he thought this would be an easy fight but lets be honest he won this fight if it was anywhere else in the world he would still be champ.

Lets not forget that at the end the rumour going round was that Khan had won the Peterson camp were looking very disappointed it took along time for the result to be called out so maybe the judges changed their card to make Peterson win this is why there is an investigation into it it was very dodgy. There has not been boxing in Washington for 20 years because of this kind of thing it was a big mistake for Khan to have the fight there but it was his own fault he should have known he needed a knock out to be sure of winning and he did not do that.

If the result is overturned I think Khan should fight Brook or Bradley these would be great fights. If it is not overturned I reckon there should be a rematch in a neutral place lets be honest there will not be any more big time boxing in Washington now after that.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:41 pm

Waingro wrote:If the result is overturned I think Khan should fight Brook or Bradley these would be great fights. If it is not overturned I reckon there should be a rematch in a neutral place lets be honest there will not be any more big time boxing in Washington now after that.

Depends whether Peterson wins the rematch, surely?

Khan lost. It was a close fight. No robbery.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Thu 15 Dec 2011, 6:41 pm

Is it your ambition in life to be known as the bloke that quotes boxings greatest excuses?

Khan didn't have to go there and knock him out to win he had to stick to his gameplan and box from the outside in flurries and not get drawn into a tear up. Like Nico said it's almost if the Khan team are blaming LP for turning up and not rolling over for him.

It will be a terrible day for the sport if the result is over turned.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:10 pm

Khans being abit graceless in defeat in my opinion, should give Lamont his dues.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:32 pm

Waingro wrote:The whole fight in washington was very fishy Khan has to take some of the blame he is overrated and he thought this would be an easy fight but lets be honest he won this fight if it was anywhere else in the world he would still be champ.

Lets not forget that at the end the rumour going round was that Khan had won the Peterson camp were looking very disappointed it took along time for the result to be called out so maybe the judges changed their card to make Peterson win this is why there is an investigation into it it was very dodgy. There has not been boxing in Washington for 20 years because of this kind of thing it was a big mistake for Khan to have the fight there but it was his own fault he should have known he needed a knock out to be sure of winning and he did not do that.

If the result is overturned I think Khan should fight Brook or Bradley these would be great fights. If it is not overturned I reckon there should be a rematch in a neutral place lets be honest there will not be any more big time boxing in Washington now after that.

I had actually written a response to you in relation to your Freddie Roach article concerning some comments Michael Moorer had about Roaches Parkinsons who assisted Roach recently before parting ways. I PMed it to you anyhow there if you want to read up on it.

As for these comments above though...Just a regurgitation of the stuff Khan has been spouting since he lost a close fight.

What are your own thoughts on it Waingro, i.e not what Khan or Hayes thoughts are on it.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:39 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
Waingro wrote:The whole fight in washington was very fishy Khan has to take some of the blame he is overrated and he thought this would be an easy fight but lets be honest he won this fight if it was anywhere else in the world he would still be champ.

I had actually written a response to you in relation to your Freddie Roach article concerning some comments Michael Moorer had about Roaches Parkinsons who assisted Roach recently before parting ways. I PMed it to you anyhow there if you want to read up on it.

As for these comments above though...Just a regurgitation of the stuff Khan has been spouting since he lost a close fight.

What are your own thoughts on it Waingro, i.e not what Khan or Hayes thoughts are on it.

Cheers mate my article got taken down they said it was to offensive?

My thoughts are that Khan won that fight and if it was anywhere else in the world he would still be champ that is why I think it is a robbery. There has not been big time oxing in Washington DC for over 20 years this shows why you cant get a fair decision do you think Bradley would agree to fight in Peterson in washington now? there is no way the fight will be there there will not be anymore big time boxing in washington.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:42 pm

Waingro wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

My thoughts are that Khan won that fight and if it was anywhere else in the world he would still be champ that is why I think it is a robbery. There has not been big time oxing in Washington DC for over 20 years this shows why you cant get a fair decision do you think Bradley would agree to fight in Peterson in washington now? there is no way the fight will be there there will not be anymore big time boxing in washington.

No worries Amir, good luck with the appeal.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 15 Dec 2011, 8:36 pm

It's real shame for Peterson that his performence and story is being swept aside in a hail of Khan petulence.

I watched that fight wanting Khan to win, and his detractors have frustrated mein the past, but now he's making himsef very hard to support.

Peterson showed a diverse skillset, conditioning, heart and the best thing? He was unflappable. The look in his eyes when the ref counted to eight in the first round, he looked so aware that he had another 11 rounds to get the points back. Looking at his last fight before Khan I didn't think he could bet Amir. He stood off and used his shoulder roll effectively to beat the awkward Cayo, and leapt in for the kill when the time came, his body hooks were thrown with real intent. I didn't see how a boxer who stood off could outbox Khan.

In the rounds where Khan outboxed him he wasn't made to look foolish, he could have boxed Khan and not been shut out and he didn't just plough forwards like Maidana when he turned agressor. Once he went to plan B in the second half of the fight Khan barely scored a clean, hard shot. Peterson used his gloves and shoulders excellently in coming forwards and applying pressure without taking much in return. Infact, the way he'd sometimes lean his weight back on his right leg with his left shoulder up was almost...Burley reminiscent, dare I say it.

So let's not forget a great under dog performence. Here was a guy becoming a champion in the city who's streets he used to live on. We can't let that dissapear in the loser's tantrum.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu 15 Dec 2011, 8:44 pm

I don't really care about the whole Peterson 'story'. I get the impression that was embellished greatly in order to appeal to the typical American love of a sob story.

It was telling how we were told constantly about his life 'on da streetz' but we never really got any details involving timescales and what actually happened.

Not saying he didn't deserve to win though.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Thu 15 Dec 2011, 8:54 pm

djlovesyou wrote:I don't really care about the whole Peterson 'story'. I get the impression that was embellished greatly in order to appeal to the typical American love of a sob story.

It was telling how we were told constantly about his life 'on da streetz' but we never really got any details involving timescales and what actually happened.

America loves a good hollywood story mate I reckon they will make a movie about this like they did about Mickey Ward who is an overrated fighter.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:13 pm

From what I read, and apologies if this has already been covered (there's a lot of messages to read in this thread!!) but an apparent reason for Khan's appeal is because whilst he was waiting for the announcement, Golden Boy and Michael Buffer told him he'd won.

Only for the cards to be taken from BUffer and brought back with the Peterson decision.

I thought Peterson won the fight but the length of time for the announcement was insane.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:14 pm

[quote="djlovesyou"]
azania wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:
azania wrote:

If you look carefully, you'll see that Khan wasn't deducted two points in this round. Whoever was writing them in (this wasn't the judges official scorecard was it?) wrote in 10-8 to Khan instead of 10-8 to Peterson. It was a simple mistake in copying from the actual scorecard. Not sure they're going to get anywhere with that appeal.[/quote

How can it be scored 10-8 when khan was winning that round?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:22 pm

I had Amir winning a close fight (including the deductions). I dont support his appeal or agree with it, but support his right to do so if he thinks something untoward has taken place.

He has been very gracious towarrds Peterson and his comments to the ringsinde interviewer was in keeping to what all other boxers who have lost a close decision would say. Why pick on Amir for saying the same things as every other boxer in hostory has said if they lose a close decision? The analysis of everything Amir says is beyond ridiculous. It seems some want him to be some kind os smiley fool who says the "right" things just to please others. BS. I dont find him particularly interesting but the vitriol aimed at him is beyond a joke. He thought he won. He is the one who has lost out on potentially millions yet some here expect him to be 'gracious' about it.

It was a close fight. Certainly no robbery looking at it objectively. But we are not in his shoes. He has every right to be angry for what I believe to be a ridiculous decision to deduct him two points for pushing his oipponent.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:53 pm

djlovesyou wrote:I don't really care about the whole Peterson 'story'. I get the impression that was embellished greatly in order to appeal to the typical American love of a sob story.

Regardless of story, he put in a herculean effort and it would be wrong for that to be overshadowed by Khan's lack of class.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:12 pm

hogey wrote:I have not heard Khan, any of his useless advisors or deluded fans complaining about the ref scoring a knockdown for him in the first that replays show was clearly not from a punch.

Exactly, and I also liked the grace of Peterson by not bothering to go on about it...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:22 pm

azania wrote:He has been very gracious towarrds Peterson and his comments to the ringsinde interviewer was in keeping to what all other boxers who have lost a close decision would say

Are you paid to be a contrarian? Is it a personality trait you have had for some time? Amir was as gracious as he usually is about opponents - about as gracious and pleasant as a particularly loose and sulphorous stool.

azania wrote:He has every right to be angry for what I believe to be a ridiculous decision to deduct him two points for pushing his oipponent.

He was warned. Enough times. He's supposed to be a world champion and he can't fight on the inside. Its illegal. Fair dinkum, he deserved the deductions.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:23 pm

azania wrote:He has been very gracious towarrds Peterson and his comments to the ringsinde interviewer was in keeping to what all other boxers who have lost a close decision would say

Are you paid to be a contrarian? Is it a personality trait you have had for some time? Amir was as gracious as he usually is about opponents - about as gracious and pleasant as a particularly loose and sulphorous stool.

azania wrote:He has every right to be angry for what I believe to be a ridiculous decision to deduct him two points for pushing his oipponent.

He was warned. Enough times. He's supposed to be a world champion and he can't fight on the inside. Its illegal. Fair dinkum, he deserved the deductions.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Fri 16 Dec 2011, 5:23 am

oxring wrote:about as gracious and pleasant as a particularly loose and sulphorous stool.

Cheers Oxy just spent the last 2 minutes cleaning coffee off of my laptop.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 16 Dec 2011, 7:52 am

oxring wrote:

Bingo, don't know how many times this needs repeating but pushing is illegal, just because a ref will not normally call you on it or will allow more instances of it before points start being deducted matters not a jot, if you use illegal tactics you take your chances and may end up paying the price.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:03 am

oxring wrote:

No mate. I just dont like obvious untruths being peddled as fact. He praised Peterson for fighting a good fight and for making the fight exciting. That isn't criticism towards Peterson or being disrespectful.

Personally I dont agree with the appeal. What happens in the ring should stay in there. But if it unearths some dubious dealingsa, I can still see Khan being criticised for it.

Team Khan have proved their amateurish status in this fight. 1) No rematch clause in the contract. That should be standard in all contracts.
2) No call for a neutral ref. Unbelievable.

A neutral ref would not have deducted points imo. I believe the deduction was ridiculous. Yes its within the rules but hardly ever applied. Is it worthy of an appeal on those grounds alone. Obviously not.

So Oxy old chap, instead of reading who writes what, read what is written. Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:05 am

rowley wrote:
oxring wrote:

Bingo, don't know how many times this needs repeating but pushing is illegal, just because a ref will not normally call you on it or will allow more instances of it before points start being deducted matters not a jot, if you use illegal tactics you take your chances and may end up paying the price.

The ref didn't warn Peterson for lunging in head first either. I'd imagine if that fight was the Froch/Ward fight, most here would take the opposite view and support Froch (maybe not support the appeal) and show more sympathy and be more critical of Ward and the ref.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:46 am

manos de piedra wrote:
Waingro wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

No worries Amir, good luck with the appeal.

Can't believe you even bothered trying Manos.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:55 am

azania wrote:
rowley wrote:
oxring wrote:

The ref didn't warn Peterson for lunging in head first either. I'd imagine if that fight was the Froch/Ward fight, most here would take the opposite view and support Froch (maybe not support the appeal) and show more sympathy and be more critical of Ward and the ref.

Horse manure and cows testicles az. I read what you wrote and it didn't amount to much more than that. Praising Peterson for trying hard is like a primary school teacher praising the kid who can't read or write but succeeded in not putting the crayon in their ear. Well done. At least you tried.

He gave him no credit for the win and ascribed it to "dodgy" judging and refereeing. "Robbed"? "Cheated"? He sounds like a bitter child. I appreciate you idolise Larry Holmes - and nothing that Amir said would have been out of character for big-Lar' - but Holmes is an unpleasant fellow as well.

You seem to be suggesting - that even though its illegal - it shouldn't be penalised because it isn't normally penalised. I'd show no more sympathy to Froch than Khan for sure - you sign a contract, you agree the referee and judges and then you whine about how they enforce the rules? He didn't warn Amir for constantly pushing Peterson's head down either - the key problem in this fight is that Amir has no inside game to speak of - and had to resrot to pushing, holding and generally anything but boxing as soon as Peterson tried to fight him on the inside. He comes across as a classless buffoon.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:03 am

Why should he give him credit for the win when Khan thought he won the fight? He gave him credit for fighting a good fight at the press confrence after the fight and on the BBC brekkie news show. What more can he say?

What did Hatton say after he lost to Floyd? He praised Floyd but blamed the ref. Khan says something along those lines and he gets criticised. Hatton got sympathy. Froch still maintains that he beat Kessler. Many agree with him. Yet no-one calls him a classless buffoon. Khan seems to bring out an irrational hatred in some people.

Boxers who have no inside game either hold or push their opponent away. Ali did it all the time. My point is that if the letter of the law is applied, then apply it across the board instead of being selective. Most boxing writers have criticised the call and have said it was ridiculous. I agree with the majority.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

Hate to think what Khan would've done if he'd ever have fought Hatton, if he couldn't handle Peterson getting in close and sticking his head on his chest i'd be mildly amused to see how much Hatton would rough him up.

Fact is Khan has got zero grounds for the appeal. The ref, although strict, was well within his right to deduct points for an illegal infringment. Khan was repeatedly warned after all.

This wasn't a Reid vs Ottke style of reffing, Khan simply got bullied on the inside and didn't have the nouse to deal with it other than run around the ring at an admittedly quick pace.

A close fight, but i (and most here/around the world) have zero qualms with the result.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:06 am

Problem is Azania Hatton came across far better than Khan, he also didn't lodge an appeal which comes across as futile and pathetic which is the big factor here.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:17 am

coxy0001 wrote:Problem is Azania Hatton came across far better than Khan, he also didn't lodge an appeal which comes across as futile and pathetic which is the big factor here.

thumbsup

Although I also didn't like Hatton's blaming of the ref. It wasn't the ref that punched him in the face at will for the previous 4 rounds. A UD, I'd have maybe understood but a KO? No.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:19 am

coxy0001 wrote:Problem is Azania Hatton came across far better than Khan, he also didn't lodge an appeal which comes across as futile and pathetic which is the big factor here.

Khan is hardly going to be a kebab eating, beer drinking lout who appeals to the laddish oiks who follow football as opposed to boxing. He is just as respectful to others as Hatton was. After hatton beat up the washed up Castillo, he was classless in his win and called out Mayweather in a classless manner. Sheesh. You guys want practically woofters for boxers. Soft spoken people who help grannies across the road.

I have said I dont support the appeal but he has a right to do so if he and his advisors believe something dodgy went on. Bottom line is Froch, Khan and others get away with far worse than Khan has done.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:20 am

Ox

People didn't go on forever about how classless hatton was towards the ref and therefore not giving praise to Floyd for schooling him.

The double standards is telling.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:21 am

Also Hatton had just put in a good hard shift against the p4p world #1 and arguably the most talented boxer in a generation whereas Khan got shown up by a ranked contender he was expected to deal comfortably with. Nobody is saying Hatton was necessarily gratious in defeat, but he wasn't the spoilt petulent child Khan is being.

And Khan's 'compliments' to Peterson were about as back-handed as you can get "you fought a good fight BUT....I'm better than you, you didn't deserve to win, I fought better, the ref cheated me, you only won because of a hometown ref/decision, I want you stripped of your titles". If that isn't disrespectful I don't know what is.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:21 am

And before you all get your knickers in a twist again and start wumming, Hatton would beat Khan 9 times out of 10. To strong and a good inside fighter. He would rip Khan in 2 with the body shots.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:23 am

azania wrote:Ox

People didn't go on forever about how classless hatton was towards the ref and therefore not giving praise to Floyd for schooling him.

The double standards is telling.

P1. You weren't posting on the boxing board around Hatton-Mayweather. If you were, you'd have noticed plenty of people, eg ceej1979 mentioning how classless Hatton was.

P2. I was saying how classless Hatton was.

C: You are debating with me, not with someone else and if I say that I always felt Hatton was classless, you need to retract your position. No double standards, just plain old consistency.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:24 am

Is that a reason to dislike Khan TopHat? Because he is simply not good enough to beat an elite fighter? Was Collazo an elite fighter? He showed up Hatton as being average. Lets hate on hatton for being just above club fighter status as opposed to liking him for being an exciting fighter, much like Khan is a very exciting fighter.

Do you expect him to say "you fought a good fight and you're better than me"? FFS you guys expect Khan to say things no other boxer in history who just lost a razor thin decision to say.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:26 am

Ref Manny, Martinez, Paul Williams for how to lose with class.

Ref Haye, Khan for how to lose without class.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:27 am

azania wrote:Is that a reason to dislike Khan TopHat? Because he is simply not good enough to beat an elite fighter? Was Collazo an elite fighter? He showed up Hatton as being average. Lets hate on hatton for being just above club fighter status as opposed to liking him for being an exciting fighter, much like Khan is a very exciting fighter.

Do you expect him to say "you fought a good fight and you're better than me"? FFS you guys expect Khan to say things no other boxer in history who just lost a razor thin decision to say.

I would say that is more down to Khans attitude. If he would have lost graciously went away and worked on his inside game and the ability to stick to a gameplan, then came back in a rematch better he would have lost no fans and won a whole lot more but instead he has resorted to this. I would say 99% of people on here wanted him to win on Saturday. If a rematch goes ahead I could see that as being down to 50%.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:30 am

Further ref Mosley, Winky Wright.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:40 am

Froch got panned on this board when he went on about being 'robbed' by Kessler. If he had gone further and launched an appeal Im sure he would have got just as much stick as Khan is currently getting. No double standards there.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:41 am

oxring wrote:Further ref Mosley, Winky Wright.

Was that a razor thin decision where the ref deducted 2 points in a highly controversial judgement which cost SSM the fight?

How is it that people dont hold it against Froch for still going on about how he is undefeated and that he beat Kessler? Yet people ignore the dubious decision he was given against Dirrell.

Double standards.

In a downpour you guys would criticise Khan for saying its raining.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next