The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan by decision !!!

+28
Knowsit17
Born Slippy
hampo17
Rowley
Hammersmith harrier
jimdig
melv500
tunes666
catchweight
Happytravelling
TopHat24/7
Dipper Brown
Rodney
Steffan
mobilemaster8
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Herman Jaeger
milkyboy
Baby faced assassin
Kareem61
Atila
Mr Bounce
BoxingFan88
rapidringsroad
hazharrison
Coxy001
AdamT
TRUSSMAN66
32 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Khan by decision !!! Empty Khan by decision !!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 04, 2016 7:59 pm

Won't be on here again before the fight so here it is...

1. Khan is like a poor man's Tommy..The only way you beat him is by burying him with a shot.....Canelo for me is more of an accumulator like JCC..

2. Not sure about Canelo's gifts as a pressure fighter...

3. Khan like Leonard v Hagler has the skills to mess him about and frustrate him...Beat him to the punch and dissuade his advances !!.

4. Fancy an upset here....Khan wins the early rounds and spoils late he can do it...Of course he could get shafted...But a moral victory would be a victory for team Khan profile wise..

5. If Khan gets blown out.....Forget I ever wrote this thread..

Khan W 12..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Khan by decision !!! Empty Re: Khan by decision !!!

Post by AdamT Wed May 04, 2016 8:17 pm

Least you're consistent. You backed him from the beginning. I don't give him a prayer, but upsets happen.

I think 4th round stoppage

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Khan goes 12 I don't see him getting the nod against Alvarez. He needs to mix it up to stand a chance on the cards but by doing that he leaves himself open to herring flattened. Think he'll do ok but feel the need to push for the last few rounds and possibly get stopped. Brit commentators will have him ahead but the judges will have it wider... unfairly so.

Wish him well though

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed May 04, 2016 10:20 pm

Alvarez in the tenth.

Tenth second that is.

He's going to get flattened and humiliated.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed May 04, 2016 10:34 pm

Alvarez in the middle rounds. He'll slowly walk Khan down and then chin him. A china-chinned lightweight against a guy who enters the ring as a light heavy? Fuggeddaboudit.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Wed May 04, 2016 10:36 pm

As an ex Boltonian I'm hoping for a Khan win. I don't think it will be a boring fight and after the Wanderers relegation we need a sportsman we can look up to.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed May 04, 2016 10:39 pm

Peterson beat khan without putting him down in fact Peterson went down himself

Alvarez within 6

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed May 04, 2016 10:51 pm

Citing Leonard-Hagler is way off the mark.

1. Khan can't hold a shot (Leonard had a terrific chin).
2. Canelo is no Hagler, granted, but he also doesn't fight anything like the great man. Alvarez is a counter puncher in the main, who fights in bursts ala De la Hoya.
3. Khan has terrible ring intelligence and completely lacks savvy. Leonard was the complete opposite.
4. Khan is pretty poor technically. Leonard was obviously a superb technician.

I'd liken this to Roy Jones vs Glen Johnson: quick, vulnerable guy who doesn't have the best fundamentals vs a solid technician, bit of a plodder but with the power to put the other fellow to bed.

Alvarez KO6.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2016 10:55 pm

I'm going to back Khan on points purely because its the least likely result and that he has been written off completely (understandably). Prescott, Peterson & Garcia he should have beaten but didn't and now the odds are stacked against him he upsets them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed May 04, 2016 11:09 pm

Judging by the way that Alvarez took out Kirkland, he can certainly bang a bit. Granted Kirkland is no McCall chin-wise, but sooner or later Saul WILL land on Khan. Amir certainly has the tools to out-box and out-fox Alvarez, but I am also concerned about his inability to stick to defence when he's hurt.

I would love to see Khan win this, and I don't think it's beyond comprehension. However, Khan will have to be on his "A" game for the entire fight. It is possible. However, the smart money says a good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un. This will be a bit like Hide vs Bowe. Too big, too powerful. "You can't hit what you can't see, Riddick" was Hide's pre-fight boast to Bowe about his speed and reflexes. Once Bowe got into his stride though, there was only one winner.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed May 04, 2016 11:16 pm

This has been some seriously genius promoting of the fight

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed May 04, 2016 11:17 pm

Khan destroys Canelo just like Hearns destroyed Duran.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Wed May 04, 2016 11:40 pm

I'm with Truss, I see Khan upsetting the apple cart to a wide points win.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2016 11:59 pm

It seems like suicide. Was there no other fight for Khan out there? Is this the only type of fight that now motivates him? Why can't he just build steadily taking regular fights. It's just going to be a question of how many rounds Khan can survive. Canelo can just wait for Khan to get overconfident then knock him out as Khan comes in or allow Khan to hit him and them knock him out with a counterpunch. It seems a strange fight for Khan to take.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu May 05, 2016 4:10 am

Nore Staat wrote:It seems like suicide.  Was there no other fight for Khan out there?  Is this the only type of fight that now motivates him?  Why can't he just build steadily taking regular fights.  It's just going to be a question of how many rounds Khan can survive.  Canelo can just wait for Khan to get overconfident then knock him out as Khan comes in or allow Khan to hit him and them knock him out with a counterpunch.  It seems a strange fight for Khan to take.
You don't come to this part of the forum much do you? If you did, you'd know that GGG gets hammered by many for taking "regular fights".

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Thu May 05, 2016 7:34 am

Problem I see in a khan points win (which I can't see him making) is his lack of power and how it'll hurt his ability to win rounds

Whatever khan says about his new power he just flat out isn't a big or even average puncher. Take Algieri for example, Algieri is a sound fighter and a sturdy one, but he was down 6 times vs a pacquiao without a stoppage since 2009, was one clean hook away from a first round KO loss to Provodnikov and has just been cleaned out by spence. Now that's no shame given the fighters, but khan didn't even have Algieri hurt once.

Say what you want about canelo but he's fought the who's who of fighters at154 now and you'd have to go back to when he was 19 in 2010 against cotto to see him wobbled. A naturally heavy handed fighter in Cotto had his punches bounce off canelo

In term of Khan keeping away from him, despite your scoring of the Lara fight it was very close and competitive and Lara had to absorb shots, is Khan even as slick as Lara let alone slicker??

It could be a wipe out but I doubt it as khan will be competitive, but I can't see it lasting longer than 8
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2016 8:20 am

Rooting for Khan after his brilliant political quip. "This may be the last time me and Alvarez fight in America if Donald Trump becomes President"

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu May 05, 2016 9:02 am

Baby faced assassin wrote:Problem I see in a khan points win (which I can't see him making) is his lack of power and how it'll hurt his ability to win rounds

Whatever khan says about his new power he just flat out isn't a big or even average puncher. Take Algieri for example, Algieri is a sound fighter and a sturdy one, but he was down 6 times vs a pacquiao without a stoppage since 2009, was one clean hook away from a first round KO loss to Provodnikov and has just been cleaned out by spence. Now that's no shame given the fighters, but khan didn't even have Algieri hurt once.

Say what you want about canelo but he's fought the who's who of fighters at154 now and you'd have to go back to when he was 19 in 2010 against cotto to see him wobbled. A naturally heavy handed fighter in Cotto had his punches bounce off canelo

In term of Khan keeping away from him, despite your scoring of the Lara fight it was very close and competitive and Lara had to absorb shots, is Khan even as slick as Lara let alone slicker??

It could be a wipe out but I doubt it as khan will be competitive, but I can't see it lasting longer than 8

Khan will give it a go (he's a gutsy kid) but he can't hold a good shot. Julio Diaz had him hurt umpteen times not so long back. I imagine Khan will take the opening rounds (Canelo will take his time) but will quickly shoot his bolt and be walked down, wobbled and then laid out. It's a cynical mismatch this. I hope he doesn't get hurt.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 05, 2016 10:02 am

Kareem61 wrote:I'm with Truss, I see Khan upsetting the apple cart to a wide points win.

Big surprise.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu May 05, 2016 10:07 am

In the year that Leicester win the premier league... You have to believe brothers.

Fighting a disciplined fight, which he does only occasionally, eg Alexander, I like how Khan measures up stylistically against Canelo - who doesn't have the fastest feet and isn't at his best having to walk people down.

Unfortunately, Khan is no defensive genius, doesn't hit hard enough to stop lightweights from walking him down and has poor punch resistance and survival instincts. Brave as they come though. It's a boring prediction but I think he looks good early, but gets softened up by the middle rounds.

I'd like to believe he can back foot pot shot to a decision for 12 rounds, and I'm intrigued to watch him try, but the evidence suggests it's unlikely.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu May 05, 2016 10:12 am

Cynical mismatch, I didn't ever imagine even a master of deception like Dela Hoya could ever stoop this low. Still Khan gets $13m US and made to feel like a star the last few weeks. Not a bad sum though for a fighter who's been on it  since Garcia so maybe Khan's not as thick as people make out. How a man with his record can get that amount is beyond comprehension, right place at the right time, a lottery moment, Dela Hoya is prepared to spend big to avoid the murderous punching Kazakh. Just wish Oscar would give up the Goldenboy is committed to giving the fans the biggest and best fights at all costs bit. He clearly isn't, in fact it looks like he's fast becoming the biggest ducking promoter in the business.

Is Khan slick enough to keep Alvarez off him for twelve rounds? No he's not is the answer to that.. It's how many rounds Khan can survive for me. Won't bother to stay up for it, not interested in Canelo, a proud Mexican, he doesn't even look like a Mexican.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu May 05, 2016 10:27 am

I rewatched Canelo - Cotto last night.

Cotto's teak tough. He tried to box, in and out, fast. When he got in, Canelo hit him hard.

Cotto is infinitely tougher than Khan. One good shot from Canelo and Khan is out of there.

If it goes more than three rounds I'll be impressed.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 05, 2016 10:29 am

Though I seem harsh on Khan, I do really admire him as a fighter. He is getting well paid, but he didn't have to take this fight. If he puts up a good showing, win or lose, I will give him massive credit.

I just can't see him lasting the distance. I think he will avoid trouble for 2 or 3 rounds, then BOOM!!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu May 05, 2016 10:36 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Cynical mismatch, I didn't ever imagine even a master of deception like Dela Hoya could ever stoop this low. Still Khan gets $13m US and made to feel like a star the last few weeks. Not a bad sum though for a fighter who's been on it  since Garcia so maybe Khan's not as thick as people make out. How a man with his record can get that amount is beyond comprehension, right place at the right time, a lottery moment, Dela Hoya is prepared to spend big to avoid the murderous punching Kazakh. Just wish Oscar would give up the Goldenboy is committed to giving the fans the biggest and best fights at all costs bit. He clearly isn't, in fact it looks like he's fast becoming the biggest ducking promoter in the business.

Is Khan slick enough to keep Alvarez off him for twelve rounds? No he's not is the answer to that.. It's how many rounds Khan can survive for me. Won't bother to stay up for it, not interested in Canelo, a proud Mexican, he doesn't even look like a Mexican.

Good point hermy. He should wear a sombrero more often.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2016 10:40 am

AdamT wrote:Though I seem harsh on Khan, I do really admire him as a fighter.  He is getting well paid, but he didn't have to take this fight. If he puts up a good showing, win or lose, I will give him massive credit.

I just can't see him lasting the distance. I think he will avoid trouble for 2 or 3 rounds, then BOOM!!

Well a big pay day is what its all really about, $13 million apparently, where else would he get that kind of money & is there really a bigger fight out there for him? I think not.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 05, 2016 10:41 am

He still has balls. He is going to get flattened in this fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu May 05, 2016 11:34 am

Has Oscar de la Hoya gone off the rails?

His latest comments go along the lines of:

Khan is a HUGE favourite to anyone that knows boxing hence why Pacquiao and Mayweather avoided him.

If Floyd comes back to fight Canelo then It HAS to be a 70/30 Split for Alvarez because he is the best in the sport now.

Errrrrr go back to rehab.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 05, 2016 11:46 am

Oscar was a great fighter. Can't have him as a promoter.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu May 05, 2016 11:50 am

You always know it's a dud when the promoter talks up the chances of the opposing fighter. That's all Oscar's been doing the last few months.

I hope it bombs.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 05, 2016 11:55 am

Oscar is predicting 2 million buys. Apparently Khan is a bigger star than Cotto. Rolling Eyes

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu May 05, 2016 12:19 pm

I said all along Khan will win on points. Let's all hope he can do it

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu May 05, 2016 1:00 pm

AdamT wrote:Oscar is predicting 2 million buys. Apparently Khan is a bigger star than Cotto. Rolling Eyes

I saw this and nearly fell off my chair,

2 million buys, hahahahahaha

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu May 05, 2016 1:04 pm

I don't think Khan has the tools to stay away from Alvarez for 12 rounds, he even admitted he can't hurt Alvarez, how do you keep him off you, how do you stop him from walking you down?

How do you do enough damage to Alvarez for the judges to give you the decision?

How do you win a decision off Alvarez, is he going to do better than Lara or Trout?

Cotto landed great shots on Canelo (Apparently didn't do much damage) and didn't get the decision

Do we honestly think Khan is a better boxer than Cotto?
Does he hit harder?

I thought Cotto beat Alvarez (as did a few people), but I can see the other side, plus I'm a Cotto fan, so I'm biased for him

The issue I see here is not that Khan won't hit Alvarez, its that he cannot defend when he isn't attacking, if the guy chasing him can't wack he is fine, but he isn't going to be ducking and dodging Alvarez he is going to be getting caught

Khan Ambushes, he gets in attacks then gets out, Alvarez is a good counter puncher and is very accurate (Except against Mayweather obviously), its what happens after the ambush we need to worry about

I would love him to win and will be rooting him on, but I just don't see it

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu May 05, 2016 2:25 pm

I think Khan will give a good account of himself - will that be good enough to win I'm not sure. As BoxingFan88 alluded too, Khan doesn't have the dig to keep Alvarez off him for 12 rounds and its a long time. Don't think Canelo is a superstar and can be outboxed Trout, Lara, Mayweather and Cotto to a degree all achieved this - not mission impossible for Khan but his lack of a big dig and vulnerabilities up top make it a huge task, good luck to the lad.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Thu May 05, 2016 4:11 pm

Can't see it. You can make a case for Khan on paper based on his attributes but the reality is that he's going to get hit harder than he ever has before. 12 rounds is a long time. Canelo tko sooner or later. Hope I'm wrong.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu May 05, 2016 4:18 pm

That being said, Khan has some serious guts, as much as we can say he isn't taking a risk in terms of profile

He is taking a huge risk to himself, fighting a middleweight moving up 2 divisions after only just testing the waters at 147 (Only actually fought one real welterweight in Collazo), that takes some serious bottle, fighting the lineal middleweight champion (regardless of what we think)

Wish him all the best and really hope he does it, but I think its absolutely crazy and think this is going to end really badly for him

This fight will have you on the edge of your seat more than a normal Khan fight and that is saying something!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu May 05, 2016 5:13 pm

Trout, Lara, Mayweather....none of them have a 'dig' to keep Canelo off. Leaving PBF out as a special exception, that's at least some home that Khan can box his way through a reasonable proportion of the fight providing he stays on edge, not get sloppy/over-excited like he did with Garcia when he was using him like a heavy bag whilst being gradually drawn in to a chin check.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu May 05, 2016 5:39 pm

It seems that Canelo is now saying that GGG needs to "earn his shot". Uh-huh. I think that GGG will be crowned WBC champ pretty soon then. What a sad state of affairs. 
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/canelo-ggg-needs-to-earn-his-shot-336260

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2016 5:47 pm

Apart from questioning what delusion came over Khan in taking this "challenge too far" apart from "publicity" and maybe a large paycheck, one can also question why Canelo would take this fight.  To himself he must have 100% confidence he will knock out Khan but his reputation won't be enhanced with this fight.  He has already fought fast and skilful fighters that are better than Khan such as Mayweather.  It's just another good (?) paycheck for him and just a workout against a lightweight but fast opponent, who will go down once a good punch is landed.

Khan won't be able to stop the body punches and once he is hit with a good body punch, if he doesn't go down, he will drop his guard and then be knocked out by a punch to the head.

ps: Khan has suggested this might be his last boxing fight and he says he is interested in moving into mixed martial arts.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 05, 2016 6:09 pm

Yeah he fancies his chances against McGregor. No bother to Khan.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu May 05, 2016 6:54 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:It seems that Canelo is now saying that GGG needs to "earn his shot". Uh-huh. I think that GGG will be crowned WBC champ pretty soon then. What a sad state of affairs. 
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/canelo-ggg-needs-to-earn-his-shot-336260

Canelo won't fight Golovkin - he's unlikely to win and, financially, has no need for that fight.

Hopefully Golovkin gets the belt, makes a few defences then cracks a few heads at '68 (he could give away the weight).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Thu May 05, 2016 6:58 pm

When a fight gets hyped as being so one-sided I can't help feeling an upset is on the cards.

I think it's unlikely khan can avoid Canelo for 12 rounds but not impossible.

I'll be rooting for khan because it will probably get a fight with FMJ, if he comes out of retirement. Further it will stop all Canelo's nonsense with GGG. If the WBC let Canelo set the weight limit of their MW title they are a disgrace. If GGG accepts a huge sum to fight at catch weight, that's a different story.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Thu May 05, 2016 7:00 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Trout, Lara, Mayweather....none of them have a 'dig' to keep Canelo off

But all of those are back foot fighter unlike khan and are all natural light middleweights (except Floyd who's leagues above khan) who had to absorbs shots from canelo, can khan stand up to the body shots those guys stood up to

Its all good some people saying khan is this great boxer etc and needs to use a lot of movement but his best "boxing" performances have come against Judah, awkward southpaw who's lost all his biggest fights, Alexander, awkward southpaw who's lost all his biggest fights, Collazo, awkward southpaw who's lost all his biggest fights & malignaggi, awkward orthodox who's lost all his biggest fight. Anyone see a pattern
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu May 05, 2016 8:45 pm

AdamT wrote:Yeah he fancies his chances against McGregor. No bother to Khan.

McGregor, isn't that the self publicising ego maniac who jumped a couple of weights and got flattened? Sounds like he and Khan have a bit in common.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu May 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Baby faced assassin wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Trout, Lara, Mayweather....none of them have a 'dig' to keep Canelo off

But all of those are back foot fighter unlike khan and are all natural light middleweights (except Floyd who's leagues above khan) who had to absorbs shots from canelo, can khan stand up to the body shots those guys stood up to

Its all good some people saying khan is this great boxer etc and needs to use a lot of movement but his best "boxing" performances have come against Judah, awkward southpaw who's lost all his biggest fights, Alexander, awkward southpaw who's lost all his biggest fights, Collazo, awkward southpaw who's lost all his biggest fights & malignaggi, awkward orthodox who's lost all his biggest fight. Anyone see a pattern

A pattern that you don't fancy khan's chances?

The fighters you mention were all world champions so must have won some of their biggest fights. Khan boxed pretty well before getting drawn into a brawl and roughing it out with maidana. He shut out kotelnik who gave everyone else plenty of trouble.

Appreciate the point your making, just think you're over/egging it. In simple terms, Khan looks good against boxers but struggles against guys who pressure him. Alvarez is the polar opposite.

Canelo might try and time him a la Garcia, but my guess is he'll end up walking him down... It's not what he does best, but Khan is No Floyd, so he will get to him. It's a question of when and how often.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu May 05, 2016 9:33 pm

I agree he's a mouth too. To be fair, he has done more than Khan.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu May 05, 2016 10:58 pm

Khan wouldnt get a decision, even if he earned it. Im not sold on Canelo really, at least relative to his stature in the sport. So for me the interesting aspect is whether he deals with Khan impressively or not. Khan is usually a fun watch but I think even he will figure out he needs to run and hide so Im hoping its not a slow burner as Canelo isnt inclinced to be rushed when confronted with an opponent who is on the move.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2016 12:20 am

It's a strange boxing match knowing that one opponent is too light to trouble the heavier opponent punch wise and that the only way the lighter opponent wins is by running away for 12 rounds while trying to come in and out quickly with pitter patter punches to steal the rounds ... with the alternative being the lightweight guy gets flattened the moment the heavier guy gets in the first good clear punch.  It doesn't appeal.  They should fight guys in their own weight category in which proper boxing / fighting can be practised.

Good comparison from Milkyboy - with the "invincible" McGregor from MMA jumping a few weight categories only to get flattened in the second round.

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri May 06, 2016 12:28 am

People are considering the weight as an issue for Khan, but not also keeping in mind how his own power will be at the weight. Khan is not exactly a powder puff puncher anyway and has allot of snap to his shots. If he boxes well, Canelo may also have to deal with some very quick spiteful shots him self, making it not so easy to tea off so well.

I think Khan will box well, the question is, will the extra weight cause him to gas?... If he can nick some early rounds and not gas, I think he has a great chance.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Fri May 06, 2016 7:50 am

Not sure I agree about Khan being any kind of puncher. 3 ko's I think in his last 10 fights shows that and we're all at lower weights. In his career too a lot of his ko wins seemed to be more velocity of punches rather than the power. Canelo has a solid chin so I think at some point if things aren't going to plan he will start taking a few to land his own and that's when the fight will end. So I think Canelo in the 6th but behind on the score cards.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next