The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Racism still rife in football?

4 posters

Go down

Is Racism still rife in football? Empty Is Racism still rife in football?

Post by dondelero Mon 31 Oct 2011, 8:28 pm

Recently there have been at least 3 high profile incidents in which racist allegations have been made. Patrice Evra's allegation against Luis Suarez, John Terry's alledged comments to Anton Ferdinand and on Saturday RVP's alledged " Heil Hitler" Salute.

There has been a lot done over the years to "Kick racism out of football" but was it just kicked below the surface? And is it now above the surface? Well fans shouting racist abuse has been outlawed at grounds in this country which is why this country is much farther forward than most in relation to racism in football. However although fans still probably hold their opinions they refrain from expressing themselves at matches for fear of a ban. But what about player on player racism? Is it just a coincidence that nearly every week over the past few weeks some alledged racist behaviour among players has been highlighted? Are players exempt from having racist views just because they are players?

Racism will more than likely always be in football because it is part of society so the quetion is, how should it be dealt with in relation to players. Well there have been calls for players who are found to be racist to be thrown out of the game immediately, but would it not be fairer that if players are identified as being racist, that they are given a chance to improve, rather than being discarded? Putting allegances to any team aside, it would be a great loss were the premiership to lose players,such as Suarez, Terry or RVP, if allegations are proved true.

dondelero

Back to top Go down

Is Racism still rife in football? Empty Re: Is Racism still rife in football?

Post by mystiroakey Mon 31 Oct 2011, 9:08 pm

its not rife is it- its just still there- i am sure that racism is getting less and less prominant in football as it is in the rest of the developed world.

however terrorism ,wars, religion, to much immigration isnt helping much and perhaps the defining reasons why its still highish profile.

the good thing that is slowing racism down is that fans are not in general racist in the uk anymore, this is still happening in many other european countries.

but then can we ask why our population isnt being faiurly represented in football- where are the asian population- is that due to football being slightly racist from grass roots, that in its essence is possibly why racsim is being shown by players over fans in this country

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by antoineclarke Fri 02 Dec 2011, 3:25 am

I don't think racism, in the sense of players of one ethnic group believing others are inferior, is "rampant" in football.

But fans will use any trick to disrupt an opposition player, especially one who has a record of being affected by racist taunts.

So Emile Heskey got chants whenever he lined up a shot.

The worst abuse I recall was directed against David Beckham after the 1998 World Cup. If he had been black, I'm sure he would have been racially abused. But it was 1) the red card in World Cup, 2) Man Utd and 4) his superstar lifestyle that was the cause of the abuse.

As for the ethnic composition of football teams, I think it's pretty clear that for purely commercial reasons, the big clubs would love to have Asians. In my experience, Asian children are discouraged from sport by their parents, who tend to push more academic studies. Can't have it both ways: Asians dominate UK science departments at uni, they can't simultaneously dominate sports clubs.
antoineclarke
antoineclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 02 Dec 2011, 7:36 am

Abbriune
Some interstinh questions.

I wouldn't say racism is rige although it has not been entirely eradicated from either some players or a section of fans. Stupidity, and the ability to say stupid things is still prevalent though, particularly amongst Englanf Captains...

I actuallu think in the longer term, football has been an important element of leading society away from racist attitudes by showing that plauers of different colours and nationalities can form very effective teams.

The issue of Anglo-Asians not getting a fair chance is based on a number of factors, which probably include (as you mention) a vultural preference for academic achievement, in some areas a preference for cricket (I played as a kid in a team in Yorkshire that regularly fielded 7 or 8 kids with Pakistani parents), and a prejudice against young footballers with this backgorund amongst the clubs scouting systems (on the basis that they have no history of having produced top players in the past).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 03 Dec 2011, 9:33 am

dfummy half- in termns of the lack of representation of anglo asians in football- its all about parenting, the parents are relatively stricct, they prefer cricket, they dont mix as much as white and black, in many cases they are smaller and less physical. there is no predudice- there just isnt the pool of talent available- all you have to do is look at the rest of the world and realise there just arnt any indian/pakistani footballers anywhere on planet earth- not even in there own countries.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down