The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history"

+24
Skydriver
Calder106
Sand
Redrage
JAS
Diggers
navyblueshorts
gaelgowfer
Shotrock
JPX
Faldono1fan
mystiroakey
hend085
Davie
MustPuttBetter
super_realist
liegerwoods
Maverick
kwinigolfer
hogie
Marcus
NedB-H
drive4show
KeizoYamata
28 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history" - Page 2 Empty Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history"

Post by KeizoYamata Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:30 am

First topic message reminder :

"There was never really a decision to be made, I have a chance of making history," Donald posted on Twitter. "See you all at Disney next week."

Ok defend his arrogance this time!! Luke boasting about his chance to top the money list on both tours. When was the last time we had a golfer boast they are in a position to make history, money or winning? It's even more pitiful considering the former number 1 who played less on both tours made twice as much as he has made now and could have made history 10times over but was not interested in such trivial pursuits. Maybe he should Luke before you leaps Rolling Eyes

So I ask, Is this the new modest Luke? Westwood, Luke, Casey, Poulter all seem to have one thing in common. And I don't mean the painful lack of majors.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history" - Page 2 Empty Re: Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history"

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:37 am

Well, perhaps you are right Gael, a Woods interview is about as shiversome and intolerable as it gets

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history" - Page 2 Empty Re: Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history"

Post by Maverick Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:42 am

Have to say i'd rather listen to Geoff Boycott than keep hearing how god won them a title.

You have to wonder how these guys would hold up under the pressure of a major championship playoff if they base their ability to win in the hands of a deity. Agreed it showns heavy signs of mental fragility in the pressure situations hasn't Webb lost 2 playoffs this year, mayb more self belief rather than god bothering belief would have seen him take those too.

Donald gets called arrogant for thinking he deserves to be where he is and he does deserve to be there, should we not be calling these bible thumpers equally arrogant for thinking god guided them through a round of golf to win a cool million dollars rather than helping starving children in africa perhaps! Or is their god taking a cut of the earnings at the pearly gates

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:53 am

Mav, I'd actually say that believing that there is a "god" who would be bothered to help ONE player put a ball in a hole in fewer shots than anyone else in what is effectively a pointless pursuit, despite the thousands of problems that face the world at present to be 100x more arrogant than any justifiable self belief that the likes of Donald, Poulter or Casey might have.

If you don't think you can be the best golfer, i.e have belief in your own ability, then what's the point in taking part?,but if you are relying on a fictitious deity to help you along that is surely far more arrogant than relying on talent and preparation.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:01 am

Exactly my point SR it is far more arrogant than anything Donald has done, and far more weak minded. What will they do when a they bottle a playoff day it wasn't gods plan for me today...

I don't see Casey, Donald or Poulter as arrogant self belief is what they have how others perceive that is where the arrogance occurs if you get my drift.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:06 am

Exactly Mav, at our level, you have to believe that when you make the knockouts of the club champs then you can win it.
That's not arrogance, it's self belief, otherwise you might as well stay at home and kick the cat.

I remember when Poulter was going out in the singles last year in the Ryder Cup and he said something like "I WILL get a point, no question"
I don't see anything wrong in that, it's just reinforcing a belief, but if someone said " God WILL make me win" I'd just laugh and expect them to lose because they require the help of someone else to do their work for them.

I take it that the likes of Webb Simpson don't bother to practice because "god" will take care of it all?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:11 am

I believe Poulters words were "I will deliver a point" and he did.

Totally agree, whenever I tee it up in a competition or knockout I expect to win. I'm not that way because I am arrogant I just believe in myself and if I didn't why would I bother to tee off I could simply hand my opponent the match. If i;m going to be beaten then I want the gu i'm playing to have to do everyting they can to beat me, because I will fight until thelast putt no matter how crap I play, because without believing you can win there is no point competing.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:16 am

Good round by Stenson today, 64 takes him to a share of the overnight lead.
Afterwards he glorified his Fanny. Or maybe he meant his Fanny's Fanny.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:03 am

super_realist wrote:SR, it's all very well to believe it, but just think if someone else was to say something like.
"Yeah I had a great round today, Fenella the crazy Welsh witch from Chorlton and the Wheelies was with me all day, I'd be nowhere without her".

It's barmy stuff and is as irrelevant and pointless a thing to say as it is an indication of mental fragility.

In fact it's so bad, that I'd actually prefer to listen to the wooden, pre-prepared, contrived, sanitised, dreary interviews of Woods.

laughing What I wouldn't give to hear someone give an answer like that S_R. I'm not sure the Americans would take it in the right spirit however. I'm with Dawkins on the God-bothering thing; it's pretty dumb and in the worse cases, evil (which is ironic), especially the brain-washing of children.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:14 am

super_realist wrote:SR, it's all very well to believe it, but just think if someone else was to say something like.
"Yeah I had a great round today, Fenella the crazy Welsh witch from Chorlton and the Wheelies was with me all day, I'd be nowhere without her".

It's barmy stuff and is as irrelevant and pointless a thing to say as it is an indication of mental fragility.

In fact it's so bad, that I'd actually prefer to listen to the wooden, pre-prepared, contrived, sanitised, dreary interviews of Woods.

Wonder if there are any Pagan pro golfers out there Shocked

I think the difference is that religion in Britain is a pretty private thing at the best times. The CoE has always been self-effacing to say the least, about as far away from in-your-face as you can get. We just don't have any culture of the preachy, TV-evangelist sort of thing so no matter how little or much you believe it's a culture shock when someone suddenly starts prattling on about God. Must admit I prefer it our way....

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:20 am

It started getting especially pervasive here during Dubya's Presidency. Now everything is God Bless America, as if that particular god is exclusively an American.

Now it's difficult to distinguish Republican Presidential Candidate rallies from Prayer Meetings.

Democrats thankfully have a more European approach, but don't think the PGA Tour has many Dem's. Except Jim Thorpe of course, and you know how the Tour dealt with him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:22 pm

Kwin - You are exactly right, but making it difficult for posters here to paint "Americans" with the single brush stroke they want to. Rolling Eyes

I think David Duval is also a card carrying democrat. They are very few and far between in the PGA, that's for sure.

Back to Donald ... he won't go away this weekend, but will he have enough to overtake?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Nothing personal Shotrock, Just a very big religious divide, think most Europeans would find the mega-Church concept among the most horrific developments of the 20th century, not to mention the insidious but pervasive intrusion in to everyday life.
I absolutely abhor the way the word "christian" is used these days, ugh, you shouldn't've got me started!

Duval just went even further up in my estimation, though two bogeys on his 17th and 18th holes yesterday condemn him to Finchem's Stage 1 dungeon.

Luke was very straightforward in his post-round self-assessment yesterday so expect much more today. That lay-up into the Par 5 hazard was what really did him in.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:27 pm

laying up into a hazard- arggg one of the most annoying things ever to happen in golf, that an a 3 putt par.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:35 pm

England certainly dont have any high profile successfull people that preach or ever mention religion- in this country its frowned upon big time and seen as a weakness. But i wouldnt say all over europe is the same- italan,spainish and french footballers can come across very religious(perhaps not to the extent of south american footballers but all the same its not rare)Also to dispel the mtyth that no brits are religious- There was a scottish rugby player that wouldnt play in a world cup game this time around because it was on a sunday!!!!

this is a guy that would rather please a 'god' than help scotland beat england- Beating england is surely the biggest religion in scotland!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:45 pm

I think the difference between religious Europeans and religious American sports people is that the American's always seem very eager to mention it, despite not being asked about it.
I can't think of any European athlete, golfer, tennis player, footballer etc who mentions their religion unless they are specifically asked about it.

It seems that the bible thumping types almost HAVE to mention their religion at every opportunity. vomit

I remember Johnathon Edwards being quite religious and not jumping on a Sunday for a while but I think he had the brains not to try and evangelise to the interviewer.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:48 pm

SR i have heard a few european footballers thank god after wins in match interviews

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:51 pm

lol i have just been doing a quick search to check my facts out and i came accross this funny story.

3) Milienko Kovacic

Kovacic turned his back on football in 1998 when he was in his prime.
The Croatian striker tore up a £250,000-a-year contract with Brescia to
"milk cows and pray". "My grandfather will teach me to become a good
farmer," he explained. "I will plough the fields and milk cows. The life
of a footballer isn't for me. I want to go and preach the word of the
Lord."

1) David Icke

Icke started out as a goalkeeper before his career was cut short by
arthritis in 1973. The former Coventry and Hereford shot-stopper was
only 21 when he was forced to leave the game for good but he soon forged
a new career as a BBC sport presenter. That also came to an abrupt end
when, following an encounter with a spiritual medium, Icke
appeared on Wogan
in 1991, claiming to be 'the son of God' and adding that the UK would be
ravaged by earthquakes and tidal waves. Televised snooker's loss has
been spiritual philosophy and apocalyptic conspiracy theories gain as
Icke has since gone on to publish more than 20 controversial books
including
The Biggest Secret: The Book that Will Change the World
, in which he identifies extraterrestrial prison warders as reptilians
from the constellation Draco. Well, can you prove he's wrong?
Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Kaka-Carlos-Roa-and-the-Top-10-most-religious-footballers-article170207.html#ixzz1bVyNuIkr

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:54 am

super_realist wrote:I think the difference between religious Europeans and religious American sports people is that the American's always seem very eager to mention it, despite not being asked about it.
I can't think of any European athlete, golfer, tennis player, footballer etc who mentions their religion unless they are specifically asked about it.

It seems that the bible thumping types almost HAVE to mention their religion at every opportunity. vomit

I remember Johnathon Edwards being quite religious and not jumping on a Sunday for a while but I think he had the brains not to try and evangelise to the interviewer.

Id like to cite Bernard Langer and Kris Akabusi as as examples of European god mentioners.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:43 am

There does indeed appear to be a few that I've forgotten about. I never remember it being so "INYERFACE" as it seems to be with the southern red necks types.
They're happy to mention their "god" ad nauseum, but woe betide if you dare to question their beliefs. I think it's the rank hypocrisy of the vocal enangelising god botherers that really gets my goat.

Are you suitably rehabilitated Diggers after midweek?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:18 am

Felt like being on detention Super, was fair enough though, if they have rules they have to be consistent I guess. Was a quiet day to miss anyway.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:59 am

I'd love to see all the 'southern red neck types' refuse to play on a Sunday because of their religious beliefs, a la Jonathan Edwards. At least he had the courage of his convictions and missed out on several medals but wasn't a hypocrite.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:00 am

drive4show wrote:I'd love to see all the 'southern red neck types' refuse to play on a Sunday because of their religious beliefs, a la Jonathan Edwards. At least he had the courage of his convictions and missed out on several medals but wasn't a hypocrite.

thats a great point lol- all talk and no commitment lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:02 am

Excellent point D4S. Like many modern god bothers, they pick and choose how it applies to them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:07 am

Quite the reverse with Pastor Ben Crane.
Last Sunday he won The McGladrey.
five days ago he's at his wife's bedside, presumably, when she delivers a baby.
This week he's leaving the nappies behind to go to Malaysia to play golf.
Expect that's on god's instructions rather than his wife's.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:24 am

Looks like Lukey is taking this money list malarkey pretty seriously, 4 under through 11 today and now only 2 off the lead. Arch rival Simpson not going along quite so well, currently level through 11 and dropping a few shots back from the leaders.

Go Luke, you arrogant SOB!! Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:51 am

I guess we better not count Web out after all may get some divine intervention or hopefully gods busy doing some real work or is simply watching the x factor and forgot about disciple simpson

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:03 am

Well, that's not how to play a 5 par that's for sure.

Once Luke gets it going, he stops to dig a hole. No way to get that money history making money title he came to Florida for.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:29 am

Edwards did abolish his ban on Sunday competition in 1993 having changed his mind and deciding God wanted him to compete. He competed for another 10 years on that basis, so I don't think he should be help up as the shining example of non hypocrisy!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:39 am

ow lol, poor edwrads- jeas why do i feel sorry for these people.they play pro sport. They may even be right,... but i doubt it.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:50 am

I wish I was as arrogant as Luke!

Glad to see s_r and diggers still here. haven't noticed redrage back yet though.

I couldn't blame any of them if they never bothered coming back but glad it didn't come to that OK

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:54 am

Davie,
Redrage has been on my thread.

Glad to see everyone back, Diggers very philosophical!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:56 am

Davie wrote:Glad to see s_r and diggers still here. haven't noticed redrage back yet though.

Ditto OK
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:58 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Davie,
Redrage has been on my thread.

Glad to hear that Kwini. Sorry I didn't notice redrage!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:02 am

I think we've got a good community spirit going here guys and long may it continue, it's good to feel part of it, even if most might not agree with me most of the time. Laugh
I've no problem with being suspended for 24 hours ,my fault for breaking the rules.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:07 am

super_realist wrote:I've no problem with being suspended for 24 hours ,my fault for breaking the rules.

You mean I resigned for no good reason? laughing

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:13 am

super_realist wrote:I think we've got a good community spirit going here guys and long may it continue, it's good to feel part of it, even if most might not agree with me most of the time. Laugh
I've no problem with being suspended for 24 hours ,my fault for breaking the rules.

Try all of the time Wink

Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:21 am

drive4show wrote:
super_realist wrote:I think we've got a good community spirit going here guys and long may it continue, it's good to feel part of it, even if most might not agree with me most of the time. Laugh

Try all of the time Wink

Laugh

Ha ha, at least we have a forum. Have you looked into the Football forum lately, it's got tumbleweed blowing through it. Tumbleweed

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:26 am

No I haven't for a while, this seems to be the best board on the forum by a country mile.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:28 am

We get our fireworks from you s_r, they get theirs from Ballotelli.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:28 am

rugby boards ok and buzzes along pretty decently- apart from getting banned for 24 hrs and most of them wanting to kill me its ok

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:30 am

Absolutely awesome stuff from the world number 1...6 consecutive birdies on the back 9 on a Sunday, trying to close out a tournament and achieve an upfront stated goal...where are you Keizo?? your thoughts please!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:37 am

Oh the arrgance of Luke to have the sheer audacity to have 6 birdies in a row and a two shot lead.

Whats Webb's excuse is god to busy watching the X Factor again!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:41 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:Edwards did abolish his ban on Sunday competition in 1993 having changed his mind and deciding God wanted him to compete. He competed for another 10 years on that basis, so I don't think he should be help up as the shining example of non hypocrisy!
In fairness to Edwards, he lost his faith completely after he retired!

Guess Luke's arrogance will be unbearable if he pulls this off....

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:45 am

I think Westwods ship has sailed personally, but I'd still have him well ahead of Garcia until Garcia proves he really is back and competitive on a regular basis on tough fields.
It's really irrelevant how well Garcia hits the ball if he starts struggling with his putter again.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:06 am

Conversely Diggs if Garcia has sorted his putting issues then the world really could be his oyster.

As for Donald, when you watch what he has just produced over the last few hours it kind of makes you think..."eh...no major yet? why the hell not?"

Exciting times for European golf, even more so if Sergio comes back into the top 10 mix.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:24 am

jas donald has been getting better and better- and this has proved to him that he can do it under presure and in the future- this could be the defining point in his carrer.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:30 am

mystiroakey wrote:jas donald has been getting better and better- and this has proved to him that he can do it under presure and in the future- this could be the defining point in his carrer.

Completely agree with this statement. He has proven that to be at the top of the game no matter what if you work hard and are consistent then you will get your rewards, and his performance today has helped underline that when he needs to produce the goods he can and this experience will help him in pursuit of majors

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:35 am

I can't believe the arrogance of this man. How dare he come out and shoot a 64 on the Sunday of a tournament. And to do it with 6 birdies on the back nine. Does his arrogance have no end?

LUUUUKE

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:38 am

I think for me, the highlight of Luke's round was the two putt on the 18th. Normally very good with his iron distance control, not sure if he underclubbed or didn't get the contact he was after but to get down in 2 from the front of the green when he knew exactly what was at stake was brilliant.

Well done Lukey, fingers crossed the other results go your way thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:38 am

Wow....now there's a thing....Donald, in with a 2 shot cushion yet he's on the range.....incase there's a play-off!!! Arrogance??? Not even a glimpse of it....Keizo, clearly you're too busy choking on your humble pie but please come say hello!!

mystiroakey...I agree, very very impressed with Donald all season and even more so tonight, absolutely thrilled for Sergio this week too though, great times for European golf.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next