The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history"

+24
Skydriver
Calder106
Sand
Redrage
JAS
Diggers
navyblueshorts
gaelgowfer
Shotrock
JPX
Faldono1fan
mystiroakey
hend085
Davie
MustPuttBetter
super_realist
liegerwoods
Maverick
kwinigolfer
hogie
Marcus
NedB-H
drive4show
KeizoYamata
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history" Empty Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history"

Post by KeizoYamata Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:30 pm

"There was never really a decision to be made, I have a chance of making history," Donald posted on Twitter. "See you all at Disney next week."

Ok defend his arrogance this time!! Luke boasting about his chance to top the money list on both tours. When was the last time we had a golfer boast they are in a position to make history, money or winning? It's even more pitiful considering the former number 1 who played less on both tours made twice as much as he has made now and could have made history 10times over but was not interested in such trivial pursuits. Maybe he should Luke before you leaps Rolling Eyes

So I ask, Is this the new modest Luke? Westwood, Luke, Casey, Poulter all seem to have one thing in common. And I don't mean the painful lack of majors.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history" Empty Re: Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history"

Post by drive4show Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Hopefully EVERYONE on here will ignore this attempt at a wind up and this will be the ONLY post on this thread.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history" Empty Re: Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history"

Post by NedB-H Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:11 pm

KeizoYamata wrote:
Ok defend his arrogance this time!!
OK.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:14 pm

I hereby defend his arrogance.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:40 pm

The only thing that annoys me about the quest to be Top of the money List on both sides of the Atlantic is that it has been done before… in fact Tiger has done it 6 time in his career but because Tiger was never a member of the European tour he could not win the money list. Donald has had a great season, deservedly number one in the world but this just strikes me as media contrived nonsense. That said I can’t remember when a European last topped the money list in the states so go for it Luke!

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:44 pm

hogie,
Apart from anything else, the Number One money spot earns a five-year exemption. Messrs Cabrera and Stenson among those who can tell us how valuable that is. As Casey looks on enviously.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:48 pm

funny smell on this thread!!!!!!!!!........

arrogance or just the truth! definately not arrogance

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:52 pm

Until Donald (or any other British/Irish golfer for that matter) shoots a 58 on a pitch & putt course in a mickey mouse tournament, I doubt he'll ever receive any respect from Keizo-san.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:37 pm

hogie wrote:The only thing that annoys me about the quest to be Top of the money List on both sides of the Atlantic is that it has been done before… in fact Tiger has done it 6 time in his career but because Tiger was never a member of the European tour he could not win the money list. Donald has had a great season, deservedly number one in the world but this just strikes me as media contrived nonsense. That said I can’t remember when a European last topped the money list in the states so go for it Luke!

so did he win the european money list or not Doh

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:42 pm

No because he wasnt a member of the European Tour

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:28 am

Maverick wrote:funny smell on this thread!!!!!!!!!........

arrogance or just the truth! definately not arrogance

I asked a simple question, when was the last time we heard a player boast about what they would achieve?
Seems the only 2 players on tour who loves to boast are Luke and 'Number 2' Poulter.

You know what they say about empty barrels(trophy cabinets).

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 am

drive4show wrote:Hopefully EVERYONE on here will ignore this attempt at a wind up and this will be the ONLY post on this thread.

Yes it is a wind up because I refuse to turn a blind eye like the rest of you guys and stick to the same script ( Tiger bashing, Praising European Golfers). Rolling Eyes

I'm the truth.

Goodbye and good riddance!

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:48 am

Goodbye
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:14 am

Debate or ignore - but no abuse (no matter how cryptic) please

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:38 am

its only making history on a technicality in fairness!
if tiger was bothered to join the tour his co sanctioned winnings would have won him many a European OOM title

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:20 pm

Just for a sideways glance at Keizo's rhetoric:

Perhaps the true merit of Donald's objective is that he has been able to exceed the minimum requirements of tournament appearances while achieving (or just falling short) the money list wins.

Tiger famously observes the bare minimum, far fewer in recent years. I wonder if he would have stayed fresh/motivated enough to achieve his record performances had he conformed to each Tour's minimum requirements for events played?

Not to diminish what Tiger has achieved, but to compare the two is apples and oranges . Tiger is the best golfer of the past thirty years, Luke has observed the requirements of both Tours and come out top (or not) on both.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:36 pm

pm's for Redrage, super_realist & Diggers
I would be grateful if you will read them.

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Y I Man wrote:pm's for Redrage, super_realist & Diggers

You can't post something like that and not let the rest of us into the secret!! laughing

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:46 pm

kiezo lol- whats your problem!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:02 pm

drive4show wrote:
Y I Man wrote:pm's for Redrage, super_realist & Diggers

You can't post something like that and not let the rest of us into the secret!! laughing

Especially bearing in mind Diggers and Redrage haven't even posted on this thread?! Have i missed something?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Keizo.You taking the Micky again? Donald will break his duck in majors soon which will put pay to your Goofy comments. What planet are you on Pluto? He's not on the Minnie tour he is playing against the big boys. Don't be a Dumbo and give credit where it is duey. Now stop being dopey and grumpy and start feeling happy for him. Very Happy

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Am I missing something? Luke Donald clearly states he "has a chance" of making history, how is that arrogance?

If he's said "I will make history next week" then fine but all he has done is be as humble as he always is.

If you had asked me who do I think is the most humble, least arrogant pro golfer, I would probably have named Donald. So I don't get where you're going with this?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:38 am

Faldono1fan wrote:Keizo.You taking the Micky again? Donald will break his duck in majors soon which will put pay to your Goofy comments. What planet are you on Pluto? He's not on the Minnie tour he is playing against the big boys. Don't be a Dumbo and give credit where it is duey. Now stop being dopey and grumpy and start feeling happy for him. Very Happy

Give credit for what? Why should I feel happy about a number 1 who has not won a major and only won 3 times in 2 years boasting about how he is doing great and has the chance to make history? This is the problem with we Brits, we have lowered out standards. This is why no one uses the term Great' when referring to Britain.

It's not like he is playing like Vjiay Singh was when he was beating everyone in 2004. Luke has done absolutely nothing special. Very average play in comparison to what one would call a great year.

His actions and those of his supporters are nothing short of desperate. Save your praises for truly remarkable feats.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:47 am

KeizoYamata wrote:
Faldono1fan wrote:Keizo.You taking the Micky again? Donald will break his duck in majors soon which will put pay to your Goofy comments. What planet are you on Pluto? He's not on the Minnie tour he is playing against the big boys. Don't be a Dumbo and give credit where it is duey. Now stop being dopey and grumpy and start feeling happy for him. Very Happy

Give credit for what? Why should I feel happy about a number 1 who has not won a major and only won 3 times in 2 years boasting about how he is doing great and has the chance to make history? This is the problem with we Brits, we have lowered out standards. This is why no one uses the term Great' when referring to Britain.

It's not like he is playing like Vjiay Singh was when he was beating everyone in 2004. Luke has done absolutely nothing special. Very average play in comparison to what one would call a great year.

His actions and those of his supporters are nothing short of desperate. Save your praises for truly remarkable feats.

lol , although i think he has abit of a poisoned chalice (being no.1 yet no major)- it really isnt his fault that he is no.1- he is no.1 for truely outstandingly consitant golf. He is asked all the questions by the media, and the media report how they want, they ask 'leading' questions, and you fall for them every time. Give it a break Kiezo your working yourself over nothing

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:51 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Just for a sideways glance at Keizo's rhetoric:

Perhaps the true merit of Donald's objective is that he has been able to exceed the minimum requirements of tournament appearances while achieving (or just falling short) the money list wins.

Tiger famously observes the bare minimum, far fewer in recent years. I wonder if he would have stayed fresh/motivated enough to achieve his record performances had he conformed to each Tour's minimum requirements for events played?

Not to diminish what Tiger has achieved, but to compare the two is apples and oranges . Tiger is the best golfer of the past thirty years, Luke has observed the requirements of both Tours and come out top (or not) on both.

Kwini, the crux of my post is about Luke's boasting. When people say they have a chance of making history, it usually implies doing something many have tried and failed to do. But when you considering that Tiger did not even try and still topped the earning on both tours, it makes Lukes boast look rather pitiful.

Stop excusing him and admit it's not something he should make a song and dance about. I am sure you would be quick to do this if it was Tiger stepping out of line and being the arrogant person many are quick to label him.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:53 am

Try 4 wins in 2 years!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:06 pm

Keizo, tell me the year Tiger topped the Order of Merit?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:12 pm

Keizo,
What I am saying is that it is quite possible that Tiger MIGHT have tried for full membership of both Tours and failed to achieve the results he recorded.
Just an ironic twist, that's all. But that's what sets Tiger apart, and that's also why Luke has a chance at history even though you might feel it's a hollow claim.

As for you comparing Luke to Vijay's 2004, agree that Luke hasn't "beaten everyone" to the level that Veej did; he's just played at a consistently higher level than everyone else. Including Woods for instance.

I'm more concerned now about what's happened to Diggers, Redrage and super_realist . . . . . . . No response to d4s"s enquiry of Y I Man.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:49 pm

keizo

you're right, Donald is so arrogant. I really can't understand how I've failed to notice his big headed attitude in the past. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. As of now, I really dislike him.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:17 pm

Good start Luke, you useless, overrated, arrogant young man.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:15 pm

6 under sweeett.

whoi is atwa; from india also top Luke Donald: "I have a chance of making history" 55808161

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:25 pm

Keizo, the "Great" in Great Britain is not and never has been a superlative, it is a geographical term, but then again I'm sure you knew that, didn't you? Rolling Eyes

Luke has done nothing but humbly state the facts, He is the best golfer in the world, he has been the most consistent and he does have a chance of topping the order of merit on both sides of the Atlantic. Whether you like it or not, those are the irrefutable facts.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:30 pm

Evening SR hope your well after your short break.....

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:32 pm

s_r
Ale clap Ale clap Ale clap Ale clap Ale clap Bubbly Bubbly

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Very refreshed thanks Mav, You have to take these things on the chin.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Good to hear that, certainly do have to take it on the chin but not lying down.

I see the overly arrogant luke is top of the pile while self righteous bible thumper simpson is 2 back

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:59 pm

No doubt God is helping someone more "needy" today Mav? Simpson should try praying a bit harder.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:15 pm

super_realist wrote:No doubt God is helping someone more "needy" today Mav? Simpson should try praying a bit harder.

Is there some othe gullible hill billy in need saving today or have the PGA tour cottoned onto Webbs outside influence and applying pre round penalties

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:21 pm

How long before one these god botherers drops the predictable cliche "I had my fifteenth club out there today- God"
raspberry

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:27 pm

super_realist wrote:How long before one these god botherers drops the predictable cliche "I had my fifteenth club out there today- God"
raspberry

People who say stuff like that deserve to be DQ'd. The golfing authorities should take it as an admission that he carried too many clubs.

No room for religion in sport.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Just saw this thread ... it ain't bragging if you do it! Luke sure could, but odds not in his favor as I type this.

Really a bit distressed to see all the hatred towards Webb. I've met the man (week before Congressional) and will tell you first hand he was perfect gentleman. Who cares what his religious beliefs are or are not? Have any of you met him and can report first hand that he pounds his religious convictions down your throat?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:03 pm

I'm sure Webb Simpson is a charming man, but does he really have to mention god at each junture? He's being interviewed about his golf, not his hypocritical religious beliefs (a.k.a mental illness).
Anyone with any sense would keep them to himself.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Re: The religious dogma:
A lot more commonplace in the US though Shotrock, something I find very alienating experiencing it every day as one is forced to. From Presidential debates (unwatchable) on down. Or up of course.

I'm sure Webbo and Zach and Crane and the rest of them would get slated by the TV Networks of they "glorified" Paris Hilton instead of god, small g advisedly!

Amazing thing to me is that I watched him intermittently at Hartford four months ago and it was literally one man and (someone who looked like) a dog following him!

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:10 pm

I have no hatred of Webb, what I cannot stand is exactly SR just mentions whether it be Webb, Crane, Fowler, Bubba or any other player that feels the need to dedicate any win to god and how god guided them through their rounds, or how if it wasnt for god they would not be here despite the fact it was their parents bumpy uglies that got them here in the first place nothing to do with god there!

Does it have to be all down to something that is pn pure faith or can they simply not accept its a case of they won because they played well nothing to do with some invisible Jedi like force

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:15 pm

I'd much rather someone just said that they'd put in the practice and preparation to do well and that it was their belief in their own ability, focus, and game plan which brought them the win, not some pointless imaginary crutch that only a certain section of American society seems to adhere to so vociferously.

Where is their "god" when they don't win?, and what sort of "god" would favour one god bothering player over another? It's hitting a ball into a hole for goodness sake. Just how stupid can they be? It's men in white coats stuff.

If I was the interviewer I'd start taking the pi$$ when they come out with all that hypocritical nonsense.

"So Webb, (or any other bible thumper) Who is the best golfer out of you and God?"

"Does The Devil ever join you, Jesus and God for a fourball, I hear he's a demon around the greens!"

"So Webb, you finished dead last today, was God on holiday."

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:21 pm

super_realist wrote:I'd much rather someone just said that they'd put in the practice and preparation to do well and that it was their belief in their own ability, focus, and game plan which brought them the win, not some pointless imaginary crutch that only a certain section of American society seems to adhere to so vociferously.

Where is their "god" when they don't win?, and what sort of "god" would favour one god bothering player over another? It's hitting a ball into a hole for goodness sake. Just how stupid can they be? It's men in white coats stuff.

If I was the interviewer I'd start taking the pi$$ when they come out with all that hypocritical nonsense.

"So Webb, (or any other bible thumper) Who is the best golfer out of you and God?"

"Does The Devil ever join you, Jesus and God for a fourball, I hear he's a demon around the greens!"

"So Webb, you finished dead last today, was God on holiday."

I always though priests were men in white dresses not coats Whistle

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:27 pm

Kwin - Fully understand that it's more commonplace in these United States, and perhaps that's why I'm ambivalent to the rhetoric. Believe in the great pumpkin for all I care. Still don't understand why this fuels so much criticism however.

Does he have to mention God at every interview? If he wants ...

I spoke to him (two other in the group - my clients) for about 25 minutes. It was mostly about his preparation for the US Open and then about business. Fine guy and has proven to be a good investment for the client, but he won't come as cheap next signing.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:28 pm

s_r ... clap

Indeed, if there is a god, I think s/he'd be pretty offended to think that any sportsman believed s/he was remotely interested in such frivolous acitivites given half the bleedin' planet is either starving or fighting with each other!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:33 pm

SR, it's all very well to believe it, but just think if someone else was to say something like.
"Yeah I had a great round today, Fenella the crazy Welsh witch from Chorlton and the Wheelies was with me all day, I'd be nowhere without her".

It's barmy stuff and is as irrelevant and pointless a thing to say as it is an indication of mental fragility.

In fact it's so bad, that I'd actually prefer to listen to the wooden, pre-prepared, contrived, sanitised, dreary interviews of Woods.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Steady on s_r. Shocked

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next