The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleverly v Dawson?

+9
Joshsmith
Knowsit17
AlexHuckerby
slash912
Jimmy Moz
ShahenshahG
bhb001
School Project
DaveVDK
13 posters

Go down

Cleverly v Dawson? Empty Cleverly v Dawson?

Post by DaveVDK Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Cleverly says he would like to face Hopkins after he beats Bellew, however I can see Dawson outworking Hopkins and winning, wouldnt that mean that Cleverly should fight Dawson? or would Frank not want to risk putting Cleverly in with a fighter who in my opinion is a level or two above cleverly talent-wise.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Cleverly v Dawson? Empty Re: Cleverly v Dawson?

Post by School Project Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Are you saying that Hopkins is NOT a level or two above Cleverly?

Both would beat Cleverly at this stage. It's risky putting them near Cleverly for a while.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:54 pm

I think Cleverly would have a better chance against Hopkins then he would against Dawson, I think his clean fluid combinations and high output could cause problems for Hopkins.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:57 pm

Cleverley will say he wants to fight the best and then go on to the next no hoper that Warren puts in front of him. Calzaghe clone, lots of potential, but will be protected and will be happy to be protected. Mind you, I also agree he is no where near the levels of Hopkins or Dawson at the momemt, plus does not bring enough to the table to secure a fight

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:24 pm

DaveVDK wrote:I think Cleverly would have a better chance against Hopkins then he would against Dawson, I think his clean fluid combinations and high output could cause problems for Hopkins.

Reckon its the opposite - Dawson gets a bit of trouble before he finishes him off. Hopkins will do what he did against Calzaghe - move into an ultra-defensive shell and clock him while he is on the way in _ May even bully him in spurts. He won't give Cleverly an easy target by coming face on like he did to Pavlik. Easy win for Hopkins unless there is something VERY special coming from Cleverly.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:28 pm

bhb001 wrote:Cleverley will say he wants to fight the best and then go on to the next no hoper that Warren puts in front of him

Oh please do me a favour FFS. This is Nathan's first proper defense. If Cleverly was still fighting Bellew type of opponents in 2 years time then I totally agree but to judge him after having the WBO belt for 6 months and only being a fulltime pro only just over a year is pretty pathetic. Chad Dawson's last fight was against the mighty Adrian Diaconu and Tavoris Cloud's last opponent was the legendary Yusaf Mack. To make big fights takes time and I'm sure even someone of your limited IQ can appreciate that.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by slash912 Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Would Jimmy Moz like to attempt to condescend a little more? Apparently Cleverly is a WORLD CHAMPION. Should he not be facing world class opposition? Or at least something approaching it I would hope. Diaconu has been knocking about euro to world level for a while, former belt holder, not too clued up on Mack, but probably another worthy-ish contender to keep busy.
Less of this limited IQ stuff you tool, be respectful, not that you've earnt it from that last comment. Personally I see Clev needing another 2 or 3 fights before he's ready to mix in that company. Being a belt holder he should be able to secure a mixed level of opposition because of Fwank which will help him develop. Whether he moves on from that point is another matter entirely.

slash912

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:06 pm

To be fair Jimmy was only defending Cleverly due to the fact that nearly everyone picks holes and wants to talk negatively 99% of the time, I'm a bit sick of it in boxing to be honest now, it's always the same.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:20 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:To be fair Jimmy was only defending Cleverly due to the fact that nearly everyone picks holes and wants to talk negatively 99% of the time, I'm a bit sick of it in boxing to be honest now, it's always the same.

Well said, it is getting increasingly tedious and lacks reason half the time. There's always more than one way of looking at it but mainly the narrow-mindedness of some people lead them to the same monotone negative conclusions. It was the same on the original 606. No fighter Britain produces seems immune to a public spitfest!

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:30 am

Agreed it wouldn't have mattered if Cleverly fought Bhop and beat him, everyone would say oh what a washed up Bhop even though he was the man at the weight. Although perhaps he may not be right now.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshsmith Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Cleverly v Dawson?
Why not bring the fight on.. Open air at the Millennium Stadium 2012
And maybe Cleverly will "transcend" his sport.

Joshsmith

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:47 pm

You're clearly not a real fan Joshsmith erverygthing you say is negative what on earth is your problem?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshsmith Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:06 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:You're clearly not a real fan Joshsmith erverygthing you say is negative what on earth is your problem?

A fan of what??

Joshsmith

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:16 pm

I can't see this happening. Dawson would beat Cleverly pretty convincingly. I'm not a fan of Cleverly I think he is pretty average and would get badly shown up at World level.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:41 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I can't see this happening. Dawson would beat Cleverly pretty convincingly. I'm not a fan of Cleverly I think he is pretty average and would get badly shown up at World level.

perhaps but im not sold on dawson. think hes easily outworked at times. think if clev has a chance at world level against a top guy it would be someone lacksadaisical like dawson watch the pascal fight hes very frustrating. dawson has awesome potential but hes well into his career and its still being said im just unsure about the mentality of the man.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:50 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:I can't see this happening. Dawson would beat Cleverly pretty convincingly. I'm not a fan of Cleverly I think he is pretty average and would get badly shown up at World level.

perhaps but im not sold on dawson. think hes easily outworked at times. think if clev has a chance at world level against a top guy it would be someone lacksadaisical like dawson watch the pascal fight hes very frustrating. dawson has awesome potential but hes well into his career and its still being said im just unsure about the mentality of the man.

I'm not a big Dawson fan either but he is a couple of levels above Cleverly. Dawson I think is one of those guys who felt after a couple of good wins thought he was the business. The talent is their just not the brain by the look of it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:39 am

I like Cleverly good solid fighter and seems a decent bloke, but at the moment he is miles from the Hopkin's and Dawson's of the world. I dont really even consider him a world champion as he has never beat anyone of note and never beat the champion either (not to mention that the WBO title if about as much value as a Kinder Egg too). Judging by the shots he took of Bellew saturday night he could have been in real trouble if the previous heavyhanded Champ had bothered to defend his title rather than playing games. I am not saying he wont mature into a very good fighter as he has the tools but at this stage taking thing slowly might be a good plan.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:16 am

Jimmy Moz wrote:
bhb001 wrote:Cleverley will say he wants to fight the best and then go on to the next no hoper that Warren puts in front of him

Oh please do me a favour FFS. This is Nathan's first proper defense. If Cleverly was still fighting Bellew type of opponents in 2 years time then I totally agree but to judge him after having the WBO belt for 6 months and only being a fulltime pro only just over a year is pretty pathetic. Chad Dawson's last fight was against the mighty Adrian Diaconu and Tavoris Cloud's last opponent was the legendary Yusaf Mack. To make big fights takes time and I'm sure even someone of your limited IQ can appreciate that.

Just seen this. Well, Cleverley is already talking about fighting someone else in Beibut Shumenov, so I think he has woken up to the fact he could not yet live at the level of Dawson. My comment above was not about what sort of opponent he will be fighting in two years time, but what he said he wanted to fight next when it was painfully clear he was not ready. This is not being negative, it's reacting to a man of obvious talent over stretching as well as a warning that, to progress, he has to watch out for Warren's cautious approach. Shumenov is a decent opponent that will raise his value and he can take it from there. Oh, I've just noticed I've written this without use off an insult. I must be growing up.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:31 am

dawson would comfortably outbox Clve, i am worried about Clev and dEgale cos both of them are a bit over their heads in terms of oppositon theyre looking to face. Clev has a world title whcih against anyone except shumavev h loses, Degale wants a world title n 2012 which against anyone except stieglitz he would be comfortably defeated.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:50 am

degale needs another 18 months and to stay busy and then we will see clev perhaps another year and maybe he would have progressed enough though im not sure he has the tools to do it at the very highest level personally. not much power at all makes a fair few mistakes defensively though has good head movement and the most worrying of all was outboxed and outjabbed by bellew for large portions. but im happy to give him my full support and will happily watch his whole career as hes usually entertaining

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:14 pm

bhb001 wrote:
Jimmy Moz wrote:

Just seen this. Well, Cleverley is already talking about fighting someone else in Beibut Shumenov, so I think he has woken up to the fact he could not yet live at the level of Dawson. My comment above was not about what sort of opponent he will be fighting in two years time, but what he said he wanted to fight next when it was painfully clear he was not ready. This is not being negative, it's reacting to a man of obvious talent over stretching as well as a warning that, to progress, he has to watch out for Warren's cautious approach. Shumenov is a decent opponent that will raise his value and he can take it from there. Oh, I've just noticed I've written this without use off an insult. I must be growing up.

I did go a bit far. I just get very worked up when I read the constant negativity on here. You felt the brunt of it that day. However there is no need for insults so please accept my apologies

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:37 pm

I don't think Clev is ready for either Pascal or Dawson.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down