The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleverly: I'm ready for Hopkins, Dawson and Cloud.

+10
J.Benson II
oxring
callan
Imperial Ghosty
azania
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Jimmythebullet
manos de piedra
Liam_Main
D4thincarnation
14 posters

Go down

Cleverly: I'm ready for Hopkins, Dawson and Cloud. Empty Cleverly: I'm ready for Hopkins, Dawson and Cloud.

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 22 May 2011, 1:44 pm

Cleverely beat an average European level fighter who came to fight was easy to hit and took the fight with 2 days notice.

But now he thinks he is ready for the elite of the light-heavyweight division.

Cleverely handed the WBO belt, really struggled in his previous fight against a tricky boxer and was made to look poor.

I think Dawson will out box him and Hopkins will hand out a lesson.

I wonder what people make of this statement from Cleverly, arrogant and naive spring to mind.

http://www.boxingscene.com/nathan-cleverly-im-ready-hopkins-cloud-dawson--39457

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Sun 22 May 2011, 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Cleverly: I'm ready for Hopkins, Dawson and Cloud. Empty Re: Cleverly: I'm ready for Hopkins, Dawson and Cloud.

Post by Liam_Main Sun 22 May 2011, 1:48 pm

His defence won't simply cut it at world level doesn't have his guard up enough and leaves himself open for shots too much. After seeing Dawsons performance last night he has a slight chance against him. But Cloud and Hopkins easily beat him.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Cleverly: I'm ready for Hopkins, Dawson and Cloud. Empty Re: Cleverly: I'm ready for Hopkins, Dawson and Cloud.

Post by manos de piedra Sun 22 May 2011, 1:55 pm

He needs more fights I think. He has been unlucky with scheduling so far so I cut him some slack but I dont think hes performed to a world class level as of yet.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Sun 22 May 2011, 2:13 pm

He gives away his height advantage and doesn't jab. He is too easy to counter as well.

Good points - he has excellent workrate, stamina, is growing into his power, and has a decent chin.

I do think it may be time to drop his dad as a trainer and look elsewhere. That would be a very tough decision to make though.

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 22 May 2011, 2:49 pm

I think he doesn't box behind his jab because he wants to be entertaining and feels comfortable like that against euro level fighters. I'm sure that when he steps up to world class he will fight smarter. He has an good chin, quick gangs and good stamina. If he gets his training right and hones his skills he could beat any of the top men. Dawson is flawed, pascal can't keep up assaults, Hopkins is going to be affected by father tome soon and cloud is relatively unproven. I'm not saying he's gonna beat them all I'm just saying that it's not as impossible as some people think.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 May 2011, 4:54 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Cleverely beat an average European level fighter who came to fight was easy to hit and took the fight with 2 days notice.

Cleverely handed the WBO belt, really struggled in his previous fight against a tricky boxer and was made to look poor.

I wonder what people make of this statement from Cleverly, arrogant and naive spring to mind.

I dont get that. He wants to fight the best and feels he is ready. He is a world champion so he should be looking to fight the best. Its neither naive or arrogant but confidence. Good for him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 22 May 2011, 5:03 pm

Then again if he said the opposite it would be a clear duck

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 May 2011, 5:05 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Then again if he said the opposite it would be a clear duck

Ha. Too true.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 May 2011, 6:43 pm

Clev has to be seen to wanting the glory but he would pasted at the top level.

Has some great qualities but needs to box. I've not been impressed with his last few performances and all the macho stuff, was fighting with his face and would get picked apart.

Back to top Go down

Post by callan Sun 22 May 2011, 6:52 pm

I am glad he wants to fight the best i just hope this happens but i have the feeling he will be fed many european level fighters over this year. the longer he keeps that belt more money warren gets. I like Warren but he has a habit of stuff like this, it is very unlikely that he will be put in with likes of Cloud,Hopkins,Pascal or Dawson this year.But i have no doubt Clev wants these fights.
callan
callan

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 22 May 2011, 9:41 pm

azania wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:Cleverely beat an average European level fighter who came to fight was easy to hit and took the fight with 2 days notice.

I dont get that. He wants to fight the best and feels he is ready. He is a world champion so he should be looking to fight the best. Its neither naive or arrogant but confidence. Good for him.

Well said good sir.

What the hell else is he supposed to say? "I'm not sure about my ability, maybe I could sneak a few rounds off those guys?"

There are good points to Clev last night. For a start - he was probably frustrated after a frustrating week - so he prepared to go out hard. He beat the hell out of the guy - tore his face to shreds. Lovely variety in his attack, head and body, left and right hooks. That in itself is rare these days - think how many fighters rely upon just a couple of punches - jab right hand. Wlad has built a hugely effective career on the right cross, left hook and the jab. Clev has more variety.

However - with the variety comes vulnerability. He wasn't moving his head because he didn't care if he was hit. This built a great career for Mayorga. However, he also took his fair share of defeats. If Clev wants to be "better" than Mayorga - he needs to pick up his game.

Still - why the criticism? At least he has shown himself to be ppv material. Or - put another way - a guy who turns up and will try to provide an exciting fight. That's valueable in these frustrating times.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 May 2011, 9:44 pm

Oxy, you have to stop this. We are begining to agree too often. I knew eventually you would come around to my way of thinking.

Now about those old timers..........!

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 22 May 2011, 9:47 pm

He is no ready for them though, he must be naive to think that he is or arrogant to not rate their talents.

I'm sure if Amir Khan would have made that statement at a similar stage of his career he would have been accused of being cocky and arrogant. Wait a minute I think he was. Whistle

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 May 2011, 9:49 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:He is no ready for them though, he must be naive to think that he is or arrogant to not rate their talents.

I'm sure if Amir Khan would have made that statement at a similar stage of his career he would have been accused of being cocky and arrogant. Wait a minute I think he was. Whistle

I'd give him a good chance against Chad and will give Hop a decent argument. Hop has too much experience and savvy, but that guy must get old soon.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 22 May 2011, 9:49 pm

At the stage he became a world champion?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 May 2011, 9:51 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:At the stage he became a world champion?
Who is this for?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 22 May 2011, 9:53 pm

azania wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:He is no ready for them though, he must be naive to think that he is or arrogant to not rate their talents.

I'd give him a good chance against Chad and will give Hop a decent argument. Hop has too much experience and savvy, but that guy must get old soon.

If with in a year he beats one of those 3 , I will hapilly admit I was wrong, and his word were confidence in his ability and showed ambition.

If he doesn't even attempt to fight one of them I will add a BS merchant to the list.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun 22 May 2011, 10:27 pm

Before his fight with Michael Gomez, Amir Khan claimed he could beat Manny Paquaio.
Perhaps he was showing ambition or perhaps he didnt rate Paquaio's talents.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 23 May 2011, 7:38 am

I prefer to interpret Cleverly's remarks as being a reflection of his ambition, and as such I applaud them. If he is as good as his word and will now actively pursue those fights I cannot possibly see what grounds there are for charging him with arrogance. We have seen enough ' champions ' in recent years who have lacked the ambition or fortitude to test their mettle against the best. If Cleverly is sincere about his avowed intent I applaud him.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 May 2011, 9:02 am

The problem is Cleverly is no real draw at the moment and has done very little on world stage.

I cant se why he would be on the radar of may of the big opponents and seeing as the bigger names in the division are across the pond he may need to travel to get the fights.

He has just done very little to warrant being on the radar of guys like Pascal, Hopkins, Cloud or Dawson.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 May 2011, 10:03 am

Think he warrants a fight against Cloud where the winner would be propelled onto bigger and better things

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 May 2011, 10:22 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Think he warrants a fight against Cloud where the winner would be propelled onto bigger and better things

I just dont think Cloud needs Cleverly. Being American and a belt holder I think hes in a much better spot to get the bigger fights. I think fights amongst Pascal/Cloud/Dawson/Hopkins are far more likely and I wouldnt really see what Cleverly can offer them at present other than a strap.

I still think Cleverly needs a Diaconu/Johnson style gatekeeper test before pressing ahead both for his own development and his credibility as a champion.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 23 May 2011, 12:05 pm

I don't see any of the others wantig to fight Cleverley. Not because he is dangerous, but because he hasn't yet got a name. Fights will have no appeal state wise, earnings will be low etc. I hope he gets a a world class opponent, but can't see it

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 23 May 2011, 12:22 pm

Cleverly: I'm ready for Hopkins, Dawson and Cloud.

Warren: How about Enzo Mac and Tony Bellew instead?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 23 May 2011, 12:25 pm

hazharrison wrote:Cleverly: I'm ready for Hopkins, Dawson and Cloud.

Warren: How about Enzo Mac and Tony Bellew instead?

Spot On!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 23 May 2011, 12:35 pm

Agree with other, I don't understand what he said was so bad?

Cleverly has said what any boxer says, no different! They all proclaim to want to clear up their division but hardly any do.

Froch is the only champ i can think of, off the top of my head who would willingly fight all comers in his respective division. I'm sure there's more, I think Khan would as well.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 23 May 2011, 12:59 pm

But Manos I fail to see what Cloud offers to Hopkins, Pascal or Dawson who are a step above him, he like Cleverly holds a belt but has done nothing of note and could be considered high risk for little reward.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 23 May 2011, 1:12 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:But Manos I fail to see what Cloud offers to Hopkins, Pascal or Dawson who are a step above him, he like Cleverly holds a belt but has done nothing of note and could be considered high risk for little reward.

Just that he is an unbeaten American prospect. I think the fight does alot better business from that perspective and would be seen as more credible. From what I have followed Cloud seems to be reasonably highly rated in the U.S, far more so than Cleverly anyhow.

I personally think Cloud is comfortably more advanced career wise than Cleverly at this point as his wins over Johnson, Woods and Gonzales were all recognised names in the division and reasonable gatekeeper tests. Cloud is almost 30 now also so needs the fights to start coming sooner rather than later. I dont really see why Cloud would be all that interested in targetting Cleverly with potential fights against bigger named American/Canadians more readily available.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down