The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hopkins to Avoid Dawson? Dawson's Career

+11
The_Phenom
Mind the windows Tino.
Michaels, Sean
Lumbering_Jack
Scottrf
J.Benson II
coxy0001
manos de piedra
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
Valero's Conscience
15 posters

Go down

Hopkins to Avoid Dawson? Dawson's Career Empty Hopkins to Avoid Dawson? Dawson's Career

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 25 May 2011, 12:50 pm

From what I understand, Dawson stepped aside to allow Hopkins to rematch Pascal but under the agreement Dawson would fight the winner.

Hopkins has said Dawson is next but apparently Golden Boy have said they will "look at loopholes" to avoid fighting Dawson.

If this is true, this is a nasty move by Golden Boy, although hardly unheard for a boxer to be shafted.

If Dawson doesn't get Hopkins next, he should fight Cloud but if Cloud's team avoid him, which I can imagine there's Pascal for a rematch but if he beats Pascal, people will say Pascal isn't as good as everyone thought so Dawson is a bit stuck IMO.

Dawson, although poor in his Pascal fight and by all accounts not superb in last weekend's fight will probably end up going largely forgotten when his career ends, with skills which should gain him much more.

Problem for Dawson is if he goes to Cruiserweight there is nothing there.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Hopkins to Avoid Dawson? Dawson's Career Empty Re: Hopkins to Avoid Dawson? Dawson's Career

Post by Rowley Wed 25 May 2011, 12:56 pm

Shameful if they do avoid Dawson, he may not raise too many pulses but he played ball in foregoing his rematch with Pascal to facilitate the Hopkins rematch so is well within his rights to expect his gesture to be reciprocated. Is things like this that really annoy me about boxing. Whatever Dawson's merits he is a genuine contender in the division and should be accomodated

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Hopkins to Avoid Dawson? Dawson's Career Empty Re: Hopkins to Avoid Dawson? Dawson's Career

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 12:59 pm

Hopkins has earned the right to fight who the hell he likes...

Never been a guy like him in the history of the sport apart from maybe Archie.....

As for Dawson let's face it he's no great shakes is he???

Hoppo probably couldn't get it up for him (pardon the pun) if what you say is right..

Hoppo is looking for big names and rightly so although I'd rather see him quit.....

he's 46 give him a break..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 25 May 2011, 1:04 pm

Truss my understanding was Dawson had a written agreement for a rematch in his Pascal contract and only agreed to waive this on the grounds that he got the winner of Hopkins Pascal's rematch. If my understanding is correct is only right they honour it. Am fairly sure if he thought Hopkins would tell him to whistle for it he would not have agreed to waive his rematch and in that case Hopkins would not even be champion now.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 1:07 pm

The guy is 46...........Dawson doesn't bring any food to the table..

Tough in my opinion..As I say Hoppo has earned the right to fight whoever he wants like Leonard circa 2!!!!

However what he should do to make things right is vacate and let Dawson fight another half decent fighter for a belt..

That way everyone happy. .. and Hoppo sells without a belt.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 25 May 2011, 1:08 pm

Truss,

If there isn't this agreement then I agree B_Hop has the right to do whatever he likes....but if there is then he and GBP are out of line.

Surely you agree with that?

Just seen your other comment Truss, agree he should vacate and let Dawson fight for belt if he doesn't want to fight him.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 25 May 2011, 1:08 pm

Still a little tough on Dawson as I suspect he would rather have the opportunity to beat the man for the weight but would have to concede if Hopkins is willing to dump the belts it is a more workable solution

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 1:11 pm

He'd rather have a big payday you mean...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 25 May 2011, 2:00 pm

I think match will go ahead. Dawson is one of the biggest names in the division and is American so theres not much to stop it in theory. Other than maybe Cloud, who else is there at the weight for Hopkins?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2011, 2:02 pm

I'm gonna have to agree with TRUSS here, I've never been convinced by Dawson and last weekend, he hardly advanced his case to be considered worthy of being B-Hop's next opponent...contract or otherwise.

I'd rather see Hopkins take on the likes of Glenn Johnson in an "old Warhorse" battle. At least you know Johnson will give it his all.

Did anyone notice Hopkins give Pascal the belt back on Saturday night as if to see, "I don't need it, I just wanted to show people I could beat you"?

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 25 May 2011, 2:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Hopkins has earned the right to fight who the hell he likes...

Never been a guy like him in the history of the sport apart from maybe Archie.....

As for Dawson let's face it he's no great shakes is he???

Hoppo probably couldn't get it up for him (pardon the pun) if what you say is right..

Hoppo is looking for big names and rightly so although I'd rather see him quit.....

he's 46 give him a break..

Just quietly Wussie... Who is there for him @ 175 who you'd say is a big name? He'd have to bring up either Bute/Froch/Ward from 168 and they're not exactly PPV stars in America are they?

Not quite sure who gives him a bigger payday than Dawson to be honest

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 25 May 2011, 2:08 pm

Hopkins at 46 knows his limitations.
He's fully aware of the opponents he is capable of beating and the ones he isnt.

A slick, skilled southpaw like Dawson would most probably have the beating of Hopkins at this stage of their careers...and Hopkins knows this.

This isnt the first time either. In 2009 he was scheduled to fight the winner of the Jones-Green fight but fought the loser instead. Yet again, I feel that Hopkins weighed up his options and concluded that the bigger, hard-hitting Aussie could be too risky.

While Hopkins greatness cannot be disputed, I believe that one of the reasons why he has appeared ageless in recent years is partly down to carefully selected opposition.

Great boxer, but not quite an Archie Moore.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 25 May 2011, 2:08 pm

DAVE667 wrote:I'm gonna have to agree with TRUSS here, I've never been convinced by Dawson and last weekend, he hardly advanced his case to be considered worthy of being B-Hop's next opponent...contract or otherwise.

I'd rather see Hopkins take on the likes of Glenn Johnson in an "old Warhorse" battle. At least you know Johnson will give it his all.

Did anyone notice Hopkins give Pascal the belt back on Saturday night as if to see, "I don't need it, I just wanted to show people I could beat you"?
He took Pascal's belt in the build up, he was just returning it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2011, 2:13 pm

Does Green hit that much harder than Pascal?

A skilled southpaw like Dawson might have the beating of Hopkins if he applied himself but as we've seen on a number of occasions Dawson has all the makings of being another Jermaine Taylor, talent but little drive/ambition.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 25 May 2011, 2:14 pm

J.Benson II wrote:Hopkins at 46 knows his limitations.
He's fully aware of the opponents he is capable of beating and the ones he isnt.

A slick, skilled southpaw like Dawson would most probably have the beating of Hopkins at this stage of their careers...and Hopkins knows this.

This isnt the first time either. In 2009 he was scheduled to fight the winner of the Jones-Green fight but fought the loser instead. Yet again, I feel that Hopkins weighed up his options and concluded that the bigger, hard-hitting Aussie could be too risky.

While Hopkins greatness cannot be disputed, I believe that one of the reasons why he has appeared ageless in recent years is partly down to carefully selected opposition.

Hopkins has a fantastic record against southpaws. I dont see why Dawson should especially bother him.

Cant really blame him for wanting Jones ahead of Green. Green offers hardly anything.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 25 May 2011, 2:21 pm

As if Green would trouble Hoppy. Pascal hits just as hard and is a far better boxer.

One thing that cant be questioned is Hoppy's drive to take on the best.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 25 May 2011, 2:24 pm

manos de piedra wrote:

Hopkins has a fantastic record against southpaws. I dont see why Dawson should especially bother him.

Cant really blame him for wanting Jones ahead of Green. Green offers hardly anything.

At this stage of his career, I'm not sure how well he'd fair against Dawson. I think Chad may just be too fast, too fresh.
Green is pretty popular in Australia. I think the fight would have sold well and got some fair exposure. Also, from a boxing perspective, it would have made far more sense fighting Green rather than the guy who he had just knocked out in a round.
I don't think anyone cared about Hopkins-Jones II.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2011, 2:27 pm

Maybe Hopkins wanted to set the record straight....that's why his next opponent will be Calzaghe in September!!!!!!!!! Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 25 May 2011, 2:29 pm

I'd like to see Lebvedev knock him cold. Nothing better than a white boy serving him his arris
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 May 2011, 2:31 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:I'd like to see Lebvedev knock him cold. Nothing better than a white boy serving him his arris
Wouldn't happen if Hopkins fought him at 60 years old.

Dennis couldn't get to Jones for ten rounds, so he's hardly likely to get within sniffing distance of Bernard

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 25 May 2011, 2:34 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:As if Green would trouble Hoppy. Pascal hits just as hard and is a far better boxer.

One thing that cant be questioned is Hoppy's drive to take on the best.

No way does Pascal hit as hard as Green. Pascal carries average power and I don't think is all that skilled either. Despite this, he was still able to floor Hopkins twice in their first fight.

Green has average ability but carries power in both hands. He is also taller, stronger and bigger than Pascal.

For the record, I actually think Hopkins would be to wiley for Green, but I still would rather have seen that fight than the Jones farce.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 25 May 2011, 2:35 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Michaels, Sean wrote:I'd like to see Lebvedev knock him cold. Nothing better than a white boy serving him his arris
Wouldn't happen if Hopkins fought him at 60 years old.

Dennis couldn't get to Jones for ten rounds, so he's hardly likely to get within sniffing distance of Bernard

It was a fix
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 25 May 2011, 2:44 pm

J.Benson II wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

At this stage of his career, I'm not sure how well he'd fair against Dawson. I think Chad may just be too fast, too fresh.
Green is pretty popular in Australia. I think the fight would have sold well and got some fair exposure. Also, from a boxing perspective, it would have made far more sense fighting Green rather than the guy who he had just knocked out in a round.

I doubt people would have cared much about Green either. Jones was still a name and the two had history but I agree it was a pointless fight.

I might agree with you more on Dawson if he looked a bit better against the likes of Pascal, Johnson and Diaconu. Hopkins has struggled with slick boxers in the past, but I just dont think Dawson is quite that slick or fast even now.

He doesnt have a huge workrate so Hopkins would be able to box at his pace and Dawson has looked pretty uncomfortable when he isnt boxing to his own rythm. With Hopkins being so good at disrupting fighter and being skilled in the spoiling/dark arts department I would fancy Dawson to struggle.

Its still realisticlly the most difficult fight out there for Hopkins though and difficult to see how he could credibly avoid it. At this stage in his career he may aswell bow out on top rather than fight no marks.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 25 May 2011, 3:03 pm

J.Benson II wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

Benson, I hear what you are saying about Dawson, but Hopkins looked great on Saturday, certainly better, fresher and far more aggressive than he looked against another decent southpaw in Calzaghe. He threw alot of straight, and solid right hands, a good punch against lefties, sometimes leading with it and in my opinion, I can see him "fairly" comfortably out-pointing Dawson.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 25 May 2011, 3:06 pm

At the same time, Calzaghe was better, quicker and had 10x better stamina than Pascal. Hopkins was great at the weekend though and would beat Dawson judging by this weekends performances.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 25 May 2011, 3:12 pm

Scottrf wrote:At the same time, Calzaghe was better, quicker and had 10x better stamina than Pascal. Hopkins was great at the weekend though and would beat Dawson judging by this weekends performances.

Scott, I wouldn't argue with that, Calzaghe was a far tougher night for Hopkins and that has to be considered, but I guess we are in agreement that on recent evidence, Hopkins would be too much for Dawson.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 25 May 2011, 3:59 pm

Mind the windows Tino/manos de piedra -

Whilst I agree that Hopkins looked great on Saturday, I feel this was partly because he was up against a straight, come-foward opponent in Pascal.

Lets not forget that he didnt look all that great in the first few rounds against Pascal during their original bout or in the re-match with Jones. He's great for his age, but he's still years past his peak.

I also agree that Dawson is lazy and lacks a consistant workrate, but I feel his slick, slippery style would give Hopkins more issues than Pascal managed. Unless he's planning to retire, I can't see any reason why he'd want to avoid Dawson other than concerns he has about winning. As Manos and Coxy have already pointed out, its not like there bigger names than Dawson at the weight.

As for Green, he has got a strong following down under and gained more recognition worldwide after his 1st round demolition of Jones. I think a fight between him and Hopkins would be quite lucrative.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Wed 25 May 2011, 4:24 pm

Although Hopkins may not want to fight Dawson, is he not the mandatory for the belt?

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 25 May 2011, 4:26 pm

Dawson has all the tools at his disposal to beat Hopkins, quite comfortably aswell. He's got speed, a good jab (not when he flicks it), great boxing skills and put his punches together well.

If he fights the way he did against Diaconu he will lose pretty comfortably.

If he's on his game he's a nightmare for Hopkins.

Truss I cant believe your making excuses for Hopkins not to face Dawson already. Its funny that we didnt here any shouts from Hopkins to face him before he was beaten by Pascal

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by swedish chef Wed 25 May 2011, 6:55 pm

bhop makes history, then decides to change the rules of engagement, typical american! i heard he was looking at bute, another overhyped fighter,his promotion team are looking for loop holes to have a big money fight? question is who? maybe a 3rd meeting with jones jnr?

swedish chef

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 26 May 2011, 8:06 pm

Hopkins has stated he wants to honor his agreement to fight Dawson next, good man!

http://www.boxingscene.com/bernard-hopkins-says-its-me-chad-dawson-next--39609

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 26 May 2011, 8:12 pm

I do not like Hopkins, but you have to respect his record. He deserves to fight anyone he likes, because we know he won't look for the easiest option! Mind you, it definitely won't be Cleverley!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 26 May 2011, 9:45 pm

How come Dawson was gonna get a rematch with Pascal? the first fight wasn't competetive enough, Pascal battered him from pillow to post and wanted it more, he just didn't see the speed of the shots coming off Pascal, Pascal had just been out with a serious shoulder injury as well. I would back Pascal to win the rematch hands down as well, even now.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 27 May 2011, 8:53 am

Steven_89 wrote:How come Dawson was gonna get a rematch with Pascal? the first fight wasn't competetive enough, Pascal battered him from pillow to post and wanted it more, he just didn't see the speed of the shots coming off Pascal, Pascal had just been out with a serious shoulder injury as well. I would back Pascal to win the rematch hands down as well, even now.

Did you watch the whole fight? Dawson was coming back very strong before the fight was stopped due to the cut. I'm sure Pascal would have won on points had it gone the distance but Dawson could have stopped him , you never know.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 27 May 2011, 8:11 pm

Did you watch the whole fight? Dawson was coming back very strong before the fight was stopped due to the cut. I'm sure Pascal would have won on points had it gone the distance but Dawson could have stopped him , you never know.
Yes i obviously watched the fight and Pascal battered, outspeeded, outfought, outthought and outhclassed him. No need at all for a rematch, he doesn't deserve one, he hurt Jean late and? it was Froch v Abraham like

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down