The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan to fight Lamont Peterson in Washington during December

+6
Rowley
The genius of PBF
Michaels, Sean
Fists of Fury
manos de piedra
bhb001
10 posters

Go down

Khan to fight Lamont Peterson in Washington during December Empty Khan to fight Lamont Peterson in Washington during December

Post by bhb001 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:17 am

Like most people, I would like to see Khan fighting Timothy Bradley, but, given that this fight would not happen for whatever reason, at least the lad is keeping active. Normal questions; Is this a good match up? What is the outcome we can expect? My initial opinion is that this is not a joke of a fight, it is a real test, which I still expect Amir to pass, but there are many on here with far more knowledge than me. So your opinions are all requested and accepted with interest.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Khan to fight Lamont Peterson in Washington during December Empty Re: Khan to fight Lamont Peterson in Washington during December

Post by manos de piedra Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:24 am

I would view it as credible fight but a pretty uninspiring one all the same. Peterson is a ranked challenger at the weight but the fact he was decisively beaten by Bradley makes this one lack any real value added for Khan. Though Peterson was unlucky to draw against Ortiz and given the division there arent many more credible options out there for Khan but its not really one to set the pulse racing. Not the worst for Khan as assuming he wins he adds a ranked contender notch to his belt but think we are all hoping for something a bit more ambitious from Khan in the near future, be it Bradley or Mayweather or a decent name at welterweight.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Khan to fight Lamont Peterson in Washington during December Empty Re: Khan to fight Lamont Peterson in Washington during December

Post by bhb001 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:30 am

Manos,

A good fair reading of the fight I'd say. Let's see what others come up with

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:53 am

Given that Bradley really wants no part of him, I'd say that it is credible as far as LWW fights go for Khan. It is clear, however, that unless Bradley makes noises about wanting to fight him next then he is going to have to move up to welter in order to secure some tasty fights.

In terms of the outcome, I'd lean towards a late stoppage for Khan after peppering Peterson with combos. I can see Peterson losing heart when he realises that he can't match the speed of Khan and just being systematically broken down.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 05 Oct 2011, 9:09 am

Khan wants Barack Obama at ringside apparently.....
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 05 Oct 2011, 9:25 am

Khan needs to fight Jessie Vargas to prove he is the best at 140.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:19 am

According to the Guardian Khan is in talks with Sky over this one, hopefully it will be free to air buliding him up to the the Mayweather fight further down the line.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:34 am

That's interesting and would be shrewd business move. But I wouldn't be surprised if he tries and holds out for pay per view and goes somewhere else in a huff.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:50 am

bhb001 wrote:That's interesting and would be shrewd business move. But I wouldn't be surprised if he tries and holds out for pay per view and goes somewhere else in a huff.

Wouldn't surprise me mate but if Floyd is the long term aim which it seems pretty clear is the case Khan needs to realise he needs Sky on board for this. Have nothing against Primetime who I think are improving but they simply do not have the budget or channels Sky have to really do a PPV on the kind of financial scale which would be needed to fetch Floyd to the table. Hope a bit more long term thinking is in place for Khan now because if losing a few quid on Petersen is needed to make the Floyd fight a reality have to think it is a price worth paying.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:54 am

Jeff, that was basically the point I was making although summed up more eloquently by yourself. (Practising at being more diplomatic as telling my boss that he's wrong isn't gaining me any favours at present!!).

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:58 am

Nothing more than a padding fight, doesn't get him anywhere if he wins and he most certainly won't lose. Got dropped against Ortiz who then went into la-la land, Khan has zero (and i mean zero) troubles with him. Got annhialated by Bradley to boot.

No doubt Primetwit will hail this as the battle of the year or some nonsense

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:50 am

I didn't see you hailing it as battle of the year, coxy?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:56 am

Fists of Fury wrote:I didn't see you hailing it as battle of the year, coxy?

About as amusing as a hot match down the japseye!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:02 pm

Wouldn't worry about it coxy rumours are he is back in talks with Sky so you may have to find something else to whinge about.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:03 pm

Given this pub landlady seems to have stuffed Sky with her Greek satellite decoder, they may very well throw their hat back into big time boxing.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:08 pm

rowley wrote:Wouldn't worry about it coxy rumours are he is back in talks with Sky so you may have to find something else to whinge about.

You should hear me this morning, whoever decided to release another version of Internet Explorer, with the usual bugs that they obviously didn't test for, needs to have their privates dangled in a tank full of piranhas.

I'd prefer to see him on Sky anyway, apart from when Jim Watt opens his mouth i much prefer their coverage. Just seems more professional and well oiled.

I still won't pay for it mind you

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:28 pm

As a few have mentioned with Bradley out the picture Peterson is a decent enough matchup. He's not going to test Khan's chin but should keep him honest over the 12 rounds unless Khan can make an impression and stop him. Some might say a rematch with Maidana would have been better but I don't mind him missing that one.

If Bradley is still disinterested and more importantly going after Manny (post JMM) then I expect Khan to make noises about moving up to Welter to face Mayweather. Expect he will want a warm-up before taking on Floyd next summer if he's interested in the bout, which being with Roach and Manny I expect he will.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:36 pm

not going to add anything to his future legacy, but still the stiffest test at 140 without a backwards step. peterson isnt well known over here but will probably do him a few favours fighting an american in his own town, proving he doesnt mind going into the lions den. glad he's fighting though, he could have waited for bradley or mayweather or another big name to come availble, but instead he's staying (relativily) active. that said i hope he has a warm up fight at 147 before going after mayweather, if JMM puts up a good showing (or beats him) then i think thats a fight he should persue. i think JMM would take it too.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:15 am

It's not Boxings worst fight and Peterson is a good fighter, suspect he will be meticulously taken apart piece by piece by Khan as he's quite simply a superior fighter.
Not bad to keep active though, everyone wanted the Khan - Bradley fight but it's very clear that this wasn't Khans fault the fight didn't come off, he pushed it hard and Bradley blatantly wanted no part of it with all of his legal troubles or whatever as a disguise, then miraculously a week after Khan has an opponent lined up Bradley is sorted...
Khan should win this, it's a good name on his CV to be fair though I think perhaps Mathysse could have been a slightly better option though I'm not sure it would have been possible due to his injury...
It's a can't complain type of fight but we would have wanted better, if it's on Sky, hallelujah, if it's on Primetime I'm going to break Primetimes single camera so they can't show it...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down