The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lamont Peterson rebukes 'arrogant' Amir Khan over rematch

+20
rawa86
manos de piedra
gorgeousgeorge
BoxingFan88
AlexHuckerby
Union Cane
hampo17
Adam D
tunes666
tcribb
Imperial Ghosty
ShahenshahG
azania
TopHat24/7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Boxtthis
88Chris05
bhb001
Super D Boon
Pedro147
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lamont Peterson rebukes 'arrogant' Amir Khan over rematch Empty Lamont Peterson rebukes 'arrogant' Amir Khan over rematch

Post by Pedro147 Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:10 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/17349548

Lamont Peterson has accused Amir Khan of "arrogance" for suggesting he is unable to fight better than he did in their controversial first bout.

Khan has said he will "win convincingly" in the Las Vegas rematch and that Peterson would not surpass his efforts of their fight in December.

"How can you just assume that I can't fight better than what I fought him in Washington DC and he can?" he said.

The world title rematch takes place at the Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, on 19 May.

Continue reading the main story
“There was no cheating going on in [Washington] DC. Deep down inside [Amir] Khan knows that”

Lamont Peterson
Khan lost his IBF and WBA light-welterweight belts in December in Washington DC in a split points decision last year.

Peterson told BBC Sport that the Bolton boxer was demonstrating "arrogance" ahead of a London news conference to promote the rematch.

"I won't say the same about him," said Peterson. "I expect him to fight a better fight but, at the same time, I know I'm going to be better.

"He can overlook what happened in DC all he wants. It's only going to hurt him to think that way, not me. So I'm glad he thinks that way."

Initially, Khan appealed against the loss to Peterson, citing concerns about points deductions by referee Joseph Cooper for pushing and also the judging of the fight.

Peterson, however, was keen to put his point of view across on events both inside and outside the ring that night.

"There was no cheating going on in DC," he insisted. "Deep down inside Khan knows that.

"The points being taken away from him? They should have took points. Pushing is one thing. Forearming someone in the face then pushing off is another.

"Any time you do damage to someone due to fouls you should get points deducted."

In January, Khan took to his Twitter account to ask a series of questions over "mystery man" Mustafa Ameen who was seen at ringside talking to Michael Welsh, the WBA scoring supervisor, throughout the bout.

In an exclusive interview with BBC Sport later that same month, Ameen claimed he was only correcting mistakes and that Welsh had been complaining of feeling unwell.

"[Mustafa Ameen] had no business being there but at the end of the day he didn't touch any judge's scorecard," said Peterson.

"They can feel what they want but deep down inside they know the truth."

“You can watch any Amir Khan fight, he pushes all the time... he always pulls people's heads down”

Lamont Peterson
Peterson also responded to suggestions from the Khan camp that he repeatedly used his head during the fight, prompting Khan to push him away.

He said: "You can watch any Amir Khan fight, he pushes all the time.

"But I was coming to him more often than other people, so he pushed a little more.

"But he always does it. He always pushes. He always pulls people's heads down.

"I have no history of head-butting anyone or head-charging anyone."

With several big-name fighters looking for potential match-ups, the 28-year-old was clear in his ambitions for life after the rematch, with his mind set on securing a shot at Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao , the current giants of the welterweight division.

"I want to be considered one of the best fighters," added Peterson.

"So fighting one of those guys, getting a victory over Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao, will get me to that goal. So of course, those are the guys that I want."

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Lamont Peterson rebukes 'arrogant' Amir Khan over rematch Empty Re: Lamont Peterson rebukes 'arrogant' Amir Khan over rematch

Post by Pedro147 Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:11 pm

Do you maybe think that this might even spur Lamont on more and he'll be out to prove a point now against Khan.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Lamont Peterson rebukes 'arrogant' Amir Khan over rematch Empty Re: Lamont Peterson rebukes 'arrogant' Amir Khan over rematch

Post by Super D Boon Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:20 pm

Yes. Hopefully Lamont will give him another pasting.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:23 pm

Accusing Khan of arrogance is like saying the sun is warmish. But I still think Khan will win the rematch

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:24 pm

Pedro147 wrote:Do you maybe think that this might even spur Lamont on more and he'll be out to prove a point now against Khan.

Well, it certainly isn't going to decrease his chances or make him less hungry for a successful defence of his titles, that's for sure.

If Khan has genuinely gone in to camp thinking that he has no improvements to make, no game plan to study and that the only reason for his December loss was the fact that they fought in Peterson's home town, then he may well come a cropper, and such thinking would most defeinitely fall in to the "arrogant" category.

But, my personal opinion is that this isn't his mindset at all, and that he and Roach will be working diligently on correcting the mistakes of the first fight. Say what you like about Khan, but he does seem to have a wonderful work ethic and drive to succeed.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 13 Mar 2012, 1:09 pm

It's hard to comment on the accuracy of what's being reported in articles like this, but if Khan really does think that Peterson just had the fight of his life that night and that he doesn't need to do some serious work on his inside game, then he'll be in big trouble again.

I hope him and Freddie are working on the inside aspects of his game, because surely they realise that Peterson will be going for similar pressuring tactics, and that there will be a great deal of scrutiny on any head pushing. I think Roach had worked wonders for Khan, but he does have a tendency to breed outside-only, ambush-type fighters. I don't think it would be a terrible idea for Khan to work with another trainer that emphasises other skillsets. Although Khan does appear to be completely resistant to the idea that he needs extra skills, and seems happy to cling to the notion that he was unlucky/hard-done-by - despite the lessons learned in the Maidana and Peterson fights.

For me, it's frustrating to watch a British boxer with so much physical ability being held back by such obvious and glaring holes in his boxing repertoire.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Mar 2012, 2:17 pm

I was surprised how calm and humble Lamont Peterson appeared to be on that BBC clip. He seems like an honest and "nice guy".

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 13 Mar 2012, 2:39 pm

Peterson has got this all wrong.

It wasn't Khan who was arrogant and complained.

It was Goldboy Promotions who tiptoed behind Khan's back and submitted an appeal in a big envelope with a question mark on it.

They also took over Khan's twitter and posted lots of garbage about a mystery man. Khan never knew about it, it was all GBP.

Khan would never do such a thing.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 13 Mar 2012, 2:51 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Peterson has got this all wrong.

It was Goldboy Promotions who tiptoed behind Khan's back and submitted an appeal in a big envelope with a question mark on it.

They also took over Khan's twitter and posted lots of garbage about a mystery man. Khan never knew about it, it was all GBP.

Az?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 13 Mar 2012, 3:05 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Az?

Rolling Eyes I don't know what your talking about. Is that not what happened? I was told thats what happened.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 13 Mar 2012, 6:01 pm

Another person who is just a flat out liar. But carry on. The second time you repeated the same bile aimed at me even after I corrected it the first time.

Its acknowledged that Khan is not the most intelligent person. In fact I'd go as far as say he is thick. Almost ESN level stupidity. Now for someone with limited intelligence to order highly paid, very intelligent and razor sharp highly educated lawyers what to do beggers belief. But you keep on believing that Khan ordered GBP to do as he pleases.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:00 pm

Amir Khan has stressed the importance of not looking past his Lamont Peterson rematch - but the American does not appear to be on the same page, instead namedropping Floyd Mayweather Jnr and Manny Pacquiao as potential future opponents.

Although Khan feels the judges were wrong not to award him the decision against Peterson when they met in December 2010, he concedes he did not perform at his peak - and says one reason for that was because he had his sights on Mayweather.

"I'm not looking ahead of this fight [with Peterson], I'm just focusing 100%, one fight at a time," Khan told Sky Sports after a press conference to promote his May 19 clash with Peterson. "We made the mistake before of looking too far ahead."

Meanwhile Peterson, the WBA and IBF light-welterweight champion, showed no reluctance to discuss his plans for the future. "Mayweather and Pacquiao, I'd love to fight those guys one day," he said. "Pacquiao would be a great fight for the fans to watch, Pacquiao's an all-out fighter and at times I can be that too. That's why I want that fight."

Khan had two points deducted for pushing when he first met Peterson, and he has decided to change his strategy in order to avoid incurring a similar penalty next time around.

Ask if his technique will change, Khan said: "Yeah, definitely. I'll be working more on the inside, with body shots and uppercuts. If I have to stand there and fight, I'll do that. If I have to move, I'll do that as well. We are going to be ready for everything."

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:05 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Amir Khan has stressed the importance of not looking past his Lamont Peterson rematch - but the American does not appear to be on the same page, instead namedropping Floyd Mayweather Jnr and Manny Pacquiao as potential future opponents.

Although Khan feels the judges were wrong not to award him the decision against Peterson when they met in December 2010, he concedes he did not perform at his peak - and says one reason for that was because he had his sights on Mayweather.

"I'm not looking ahead of this fight [with Peterson], I'm just focusing 100%, one fight at a time," Khan told Sky Sports after a press conference to promote his May 19 clash with Peterson. "We made the mistake before of looking too far ahead."

Meanwhile Peterson, the WBA and IBF light-welterweight champion, showed no reluctance to discuss his plans for the future. "Mayweather and Pacquiao, I'd love to fight those guys one day," he said. "Pacquiao would be a great fight for the fans to watch, Pacquiao's an all-out fighter and at times I can be that too. That's why I want that fight."

Khan had two points deducted for pushing when he first met Peterson, and he has decided to change his strategy in order to avoid incurring a similar penalty next time around.

Ask if his technique will change, Khan said: "Yeah, definitely. I'll be working more on the inside, with body shots and uppercuts. If I have to stand there and fight, I'll do that. If I have to move, I'll do that as well. We are going to be ready for everything."

I believe both fighters are focussing primarily on this fight and this fight only. What they say in public in front of the cameras is bravado and dismissing the opponent. I wouldn't take much stock in LP talking about fighting other fighters.

As for Khnan saying he was not at his best. Well he would say that wouldn't he? What he thought was a relatively toutine defence was anything but. He's a dedicated pro and is working damn hard to correct the flaws in his game.

I dont think he can and pick LP to win emphatically in an exciting fight. Khan simply cannot handle skilled pressure fighters. He wont until he plants his feet and establishes a more dominant jab. Hope I'm wrong.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:07 pm

Do think Khan is right to an extent here, in the rematch I expect to see Khan perform a lot better while Peterson will probably perform worse than he did first time out, all in all leads to a comfortable Khan victory.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:09 pm

Agreed. He showed a promising Jab earlier in his roach led career - seems to have sacrificed it for movement. Weird how the person he is oft compared to - Hamed would have been better off with Roach who is excellent at getting fighters moving and Khan would do better with steward - who has an excellent track record with outside fighters. Think the slight sacrifice in movement would be worth it if his jab and right hand had a decent pop behind it.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:10 pm

The problem with Khan I believe is his lack of intelligence. He simply cannot adapt to an alternative plan. He expected LP to box and move. But LP from R3 onwards attacked. Khan couldn't handle that as well as I thought he could. Maidana laid the blueprint and showed AK's limitations.

He should move to Manny Steward.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:12 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Agreed. He showed a promising Jab earlier in his roach led career - seems to have sacrificed it for movement. Weird how the person he is oft compared to - Hamed would have been better off with Roach who is excellent at getting fighters moving and Khan would do better with steward - who has an excellent track record with outside fighters. Think the slight sacrifice in movement would be worth it if his jab and right hand had a decent pop behind it.

His jab looked useful against non entities. When he stepped up against pressure fighters, his jab was not so dominant.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:14 pm

I'm not quite sure of that actually - he isnt a boxing genius by any stretch of the imagination but Manny has had similar difficulties with fighters who dont engage - think its just the weakness of his style. I also much prefer Stewards sparring sessions - proper rough and tumble stuff which educates even the daftest of fighters. A little too much emphasis on movement from roach. I, however am now staring with longing at the fishcake ive just dropped on the floor and hes trained champion boxers - so i might be missing something Laugh

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Tue 13 Mar 2012, 8:32 pm

9/2 Peterson is, seems ridiculous odds for what seems another close matchup, bookmakers rarely get in wrong however seems terrific value, worth £20 well I'm exaggerating maybes stretch to 10 if wife doesn't find out.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 13 Mar 2012, 8:47 pm

That's silly odds, the bookies rarely get it wrong but they got it wrong with this fight big time.

The biggest thing Khan has on his side is his promoters influence. And I think that's what this matchup is going to come down too should it be close again. The goverening bodies would rather save themselves from more headache from Goldenboy when they sneak behind Khans back to complain again if he loses.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:11 pm

Im not sure about this, you would think Khan will win this time as its not in Peterson's home town and the other fight was so close.

But then again Peterson did expose a few of Khans weaknesses and its not a for gone conclusion Khan will make them vanish.

Peterson also made changes in the fight that worked, so he obviously can do better by implementing the right plan from the get go.

The thing is, after all this the fight is clearly in Golden Boys back yard and I get the feeling what ever way the fight goes Khan is going to be champ.

I think the reaction from the Khan camp kind of reminded me of the saying "takes one to know one"...

And its not as if Khan has not taken a couple victories with a hint of controversy...

Regarding Khan sorting out his inside game, i think its his chin which makes this hard. While he has proven its not as bad as people thought, its still a weakness and this is probably why he don't like it on the inside and he simply does not want to take too many shots.

I just hope the Reff does not let Khan push and hold his head down all night through fear of giving him a point deduction again.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:32 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:That's silly odds, the bookies rarely get it wrong but they got it wrong with this fight big time.

The biggest thing Khan has on his side is his promoters influence. And I think that's what this matchup is going to come down too should it be close again. The goverening bodies would rather save themselves from more headache from Goldenboy when they sneak behind Khans back to complain again if he loses.

Leprechaun

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:35 pm

azania wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:That's silly odds, the bookies rarely get it wrong but they got it wrong with this fight big time.

Leprechaun
kiss
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:38 pm

What fights has Khan taken with a hint of controversy?

Maidana- which he won clearly
McCloskey- where the irishman himself didn't want to continue having lost all 6 rounds
Barrera- i'll give you that one

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:50 pm

The McCloskey one was still controversial on the whole as well as the Barrera one. The Maidana one was close and Khan laughed off a rematch but then went on to cry to get a rematch when on the wrong end of a close fight himself. That crying highlights the Maidana matchup as controversial in the sense if you can't have it both ways when it cones to being in close fights.

Not arguing with ya mate, just think that's the point they are "trying" to make.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:53 pm

The Maidana fight wasn't contentious in any way, there was only one winner of the fight and that was Khan where Peterson was not a clear cut winner and could quite easily have gone to Khan, don't agree with the whining but different scenarios.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 13 Mar 2012, 10:55 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:The McCloskey one was still controversial on the whole as well as the Barrera one. The Maidana one was close and Khan laughed off a rematch but then went on to cry to get a rematch when on the wrong end of a close fight himself. That crying highlights the Maidana matchup as controversial in the sense if you can't have it both ways when it cones to being in close fights.

Not arguing with ya mate, just think that's the point they are "trying" to make.

Does there have to be a rematch after every close fight? It was close but Khan clearly won. Rematches are often demanded when the fight could easily have gone either way or there is some controversy with the scoring (Germany is exempt).

Only a blind hater refuses to see that a rematch between LP and Khan was the right thing to do.

Khan has not bee gifted a decision. With the MAB fiight, he would have won anyway. No credit in beating a shall of a great fighter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 14 Mar 2012, 7:41 am

azania wrote:
Only a blind hater refuses to see that a rematch between LP and Khan was the right thing to do.
How is the white stick az?

I have never seen anyone so blind in their views as you.

And I am putting an official warning on this thread that its not going to descend into another autopsy of the khan peterson fight.

The facts of the matter are:

Pushing is illegal
Khan was warned numerous times to stop doing it.
He continued and got docked points
He then lost the fight due to the points deductions

Nothing else to discuss. No conspiracy. He also had no rematch clause due to arrogance.

He therefore has no right to face Peterson again unless Peterson gives him a rematch voluntarily. The fact that the governing body relented is far more of a flawed action than WBC banning Haye.

But as I said, all these conversations have been had before.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:36 am

Have to think Roach will have the best infighters sparring with Khan for this fight, if not then they are deluded. LP will fight the same was because he had success with it last time, Khans chin isn't bad so he could sit down on his punches if he wanted to, and his power is there. The body shot he hit Maidana with for example was a thing of beauty.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:38 am

Thank you Adam!!!

I thought a Peterson vs Marquez fight was the right thing to do.

But them pesky executives at Golden boy succeeded with all the sneaking around behind Khans back like Az told told us. Khan mist have been shocked when he found out about all the appeals etc. He must have wondered why nobody told him.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:41 am

The stick is fine and the dog well fed and walked. Thanks for your concern.

I wrote earlier on this thread

Rematches are often demanded when the fight could easily have gone either way or there is some controversy with the scoring.

I'm not going to comment on the merits of justification of the points deduction. But it was controversial to say the least and withut them Khan would have won the decision. Hence the fight was controversial and warranted a rematch. Also the real argument that Khan could have got the decision regardless of the points decision. Hence a rematch was ordered and was the right thing to do.

If you want to counter that point go ahead but you will be wrong and will do so just to spark an argument. Go ahead though and if it descends into a free for all, know where the blame lies.

Congratulations on the petty insults. clap

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:42 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Thank you Adam!!!

I thought a Peterson vs Marquez fight was the right thing to do.

But them pesky executives at Golden boy succeeded with all the sneaking around behind Khans back like Az told told us. Khan mist have been shocked when he found out about all the appeals etc. He must have wondered why nobody told him.

Laugh

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:52 am

azania wrote:The stick is fine and the dog well fed and walked. Thanks for your concern.

Rematches are often demanded when the fight could easily have gone either way or there is some controversy with the scoring.

I'm not going to comment on the merits of justification of the points deduction. But it was controversial to say the least and withut them Khan would have won the decision. Hence the fight was controversial and warranted a rematch. Also the real argument that Khan could have got the decision regardless of the points decision. Hence a rematch was ordered and was the right thing to do.

If you want to counter that point go ahead but you will be wrong and will do so just to spark an argument. Go ahead though and if it descends into a free for all, know where the blame lies.

Az I am going to make this very clear to you - I am very tired of the way you try and force your opinion down other peoples throats and the way you are ignoring requests to let your incredibly biased views be dropped.

"Rematches are often demanded" - by the loser. There was nothing controversial about this fight other than the hot air blown by team khan.

There are three points that I would like you to answer. If you can answer no to any of them, then you may continue this debate at they are the only facts that matter. I do not want anything other than a "yes" or "no" answer as they are clearly black and white:

1. Do the rules of boxing deem pushing an opponent an infringement?
2. Was Kahn given fair warning?
3. Was the ref right to deduct the points after giving warnings?

The truth is, you know that the answer to all of these are yes, and any attempt to justify them will just make you look even more foolish in the few supporters you still have.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 14 Mar 2012, 8:56 am

You could also tag on Adam would Khan have given Peterson a rematch had he won? It would still have been razor thin if Khan didn't have the points deductions but I doubt this fight would be happening again.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 14 Mar 2012, 9:31 am

But Adam, don't you know that they have NEVER warned anyone for pushing before, so why did they wait to use this rule on Amir!?

Why didn't they use it on people who aren't important first then Khan wouldn't have done it.

They obviously have something against Khan like EVERYBODY in the UK because the pushing warning had been put in the "Use these rules to 'fix' a fight" section of the Rulebook.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 14 Mar 2012, 10:35 am

Heard Khan on the radio last night blaming his loss on the fact that he had struggled to make the weight. (Nothing to do with the points deductions then?) He is going to be more professional this time round and is in the gym two weeks earlier. He also added that he had only struggled to make weight once before, which was surprise surprise for the Prescott fight, as if that lets him off that defeat as well. Wasn't so keen to get a rematch there though was he?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 14 Mar 2012, 10:53 am

Union Cane wrote:Heard Khan on the radio last night blaming his loss on the fact that he had struggled to make the weight. (Nothing to do with the points deductions then?) He is going to be more professional this time round and is in the gym two weeks earlier. He also added that he had only struggled to make weight once before, which was surprise surprise for the Prescott fight, as if that lets him off that defeat as well. Wasn't so keen to get a rematch there though was he?

laughing

I remember he blamed the Cuban coach (and sacked him straight away), then he blamed himself for being to gungho but this is a new excuse from Khan. He would have stayed at Lightweight had it not been for Roach who advised him to move up.

Its good to see Khan and Lopez form the modern day SoreLoser Club
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 14 Mar 2012, 12:34 pm

Adam D wrote:
azania wrote:The stick is fine and the dog well fed and walked. Thanks for your concern.

Az I am going to make this very clear to you - I am very tired of the way you try and force your opinion down other peoples throats and the way you are ignoring requests to let your incredibly biased views be dropped.

"Rematches are often demanded" - by the loser. There was nothing controversial about this fight other than the hot air blown by team khan.

There are three points that I would like you to answer. If you can answer no to any of them, then you may continue this debate at they are the only facts that matter. I do not want anything other than a "yes" or "no" answer as they are clearly black and white:

The truth is, you know that the answer to all of these are yes, and any attempt to justify them will just make you look even more foolish in the few supporters you still have.

Must disagree with you on the "There is nothing controversial about this fight" As from most people I've talked to on the forums and the few people who I know that watch Boxing they still had Khan winning the fight even with the deductions, myself included, to me, especially considering it was in LP's home town is still a controversial result.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 14 Mar 2012, 12:46 pm

I think there's a difference between a close fight and a controversial fight. This fight was legitimately close (a one or two point swing either way was fair). The deductions played a part, but were they unfair or controversial? I don't really think so. Khan did repeatedly push Peterson's head down. It was his main form of defense on the inside. 2 points was perhaps a touch harsh, but not outrageous given the amount of warnings. It seems to me that the controversy was largely created by Khan and his team (or solely by GBP, if Az is to be believed) after the fight. Would we be calling this a controversial fight if Khan had won? No, we'd be calling it a close fight. And Khan would be sailing off to bigger and better things, all the while considering Peterson to be just a stepping stone, who is beneath his level...just someone he had to get past on his way to the big fight with Mayweather.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 14 Mar 2012, 12:54 pm

For whatever reasons, right or wrong, the fight is clearly worthy of 'controversial' status. If it wasn't, we wouldn't still be debating it so often or with such vigour three months later.

Strictly keeping it to the issue of points deductions, I'm in full agreement with Adam, mind you. That such an offence has only been punished very, very rarely in the past is neither here nor there, a simple fact which Azania can't (or won't) grasp. Each referee has their own style and level of discretion. Cooper let Khan know he was unhappy with the constant pushing and warned him that he was treading a thin line. Khan refused to take notice and therefore can have no complaints.

But the decision itself, well for me it was questionable to say the least, even with the points deductions. Watching the fight live, I scored it 114-111 to Khan. I've rewatched it twice since, again scoring it 114-111 and then 113-112 on another occasion where I was feeling a little more generous to Peterson.

To me, Peterson's efforts, when added to the points deductions, may have been worth a draw at absolute best. In no way at all do I think he did enough to actually WIN the fight. Not a daylight robbery, but I do believe that Khan was still unlucky not to keep his titles.

I'll stress this; some of Khan's comments in the aftermath have almost made my blood boil. To attempt to overturn the result, regardless of who initiated it, was verging on the pathetic and, dare I say it, cowardly. But to act as if the mystery hat man issue should have been totally ignored is daft in my opinion, and I'm not entirely sure that some people would have been saying this had it been a fighter more popular than Khan on the wrong end of that decision.

Khan and / or his team have certainly gone over the top, but let's not act as if they have absolutely no reason at all to feel suspicious or aggrieved.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 14 Mar 2012, 1:51 pm

I think the fact that everyone agrees it was a close fight should be even more suspisious of the 115-110 card in favor of Khan. Even Khan accepted it was close yet he hasn't once mentioned this judges card.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 14 Mar 2012, 1:53 pm

And that's 115-110 after the two deductions...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 14 Mar 2012, 2:15 pm

Spot on comment Chris, I thought Khan squeaked it, even with deductions. I don't have a problem with the deductions as he was warned too many times to count. Unless Khan learns to fight on the inside I think Peterson will execute the game plan he had in the first fight earlier and may actually win with no controversy. Khans incessant moaning has annoyed many boxing fans, even my friends who aren't hardcore fans have had enough of it.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by gorgeousgeorge Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:08 pm

Agree with above post by Chris bar the scoring. Wouldn't still be news if it wasn't controversial albeit controversy ramped up to silly conspiritorial levels by Team Khan/GBP. Feel this could be another very entertaining fight but think Khan may use his speed to outbox and possibly demoralise Peterson to a handy points win....after which he will undoubtedly offer him a rubber match Whistle

gorgeousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:09 pm

To be honest I think the bookies have this one about right. I doubt Khan will have it easy but I kind of feel Peterson performed near to his best, caught Khan a little underprepared mentally and tactically and also got the rub of the officiating.

I think Khan will address at least two of these issues next time out and set the record straight.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:48 pm

Chris

I think this is a classic case of scoring a fight based on preconceived expectations, when Peterson performed better than many expected he was scored more generously than a fighter whose chances we rated higher. It was a fairly close fight but that was dependent on the deductions without which I scored it fairly comfortably to Khan, controversial but not necessarily a robbery.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:55 pm

Adam D wrote:

You must be having a laugh if you believe there was notihing about the scoring. Either that or simply disagreeing with me for the sake of it.

I scored that fight to Khan by 1 point even with the points deductions. Many boxing writers have done the same. If any fight warrants a rematch, this is it. My point about the points deduction is well documented on here. Its hardly ever done and I have never seen points being deducted for pushing before. That increases the nature of the controversy. If you cant see it, well, that's your problem.

Lastly I most certainly am not forcing my opinions down anyone's throat no more than anyother poster is pushing their views down my throat. I read their posts and if I agree I'll say so. If I disagree I'll say so also. Unless thhat is you want a mutual appraciation society where opposing views are not tolerated.

You tell me.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

Wonder if we'll ever see Khan offer/enter a rematch after (winning) a close result.......?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 14 Mar 2012, 6:01 pm

manos de piedra wrote:To be honest I think the bookies have this one about right. I doubt Khan will have it easy but I kind of feel Peterson performed near to his best, caught Khan a little underprepared mentally and tactically and also got the rub of the officiating.

I think Khan will address at least two of these issues next time out and set the record straight.

I said from the morning after their first fight, that if there were to be a rematch I believe LP would win. Khan is the more skilled boxer, but LP appears to be the better fighter. I dont believe LP fought the fight of his life. I just believe he got better. Khan can make all the excuses he chooses to after the event. For me the facts remain that Khan
1) Doesn't have the jab with any authority to keep fighters off him
2) He doesn't plant his feet when punching.
3) Relies too much on his handspeed and neglects his footwork to get in and out of range
4) Absolutely terrible for a supposed world class fighter in inside fighting
5) I dont believe he trusts his chin as when he's hit, he panics and fires back and trades instead of moving or holding (unless he's hit very hard a la Maidana)

Hope he wins but I'm very doubtful of that. He'll move up, call out and claim Floyd is ducking him when he literally brings nothing to the table to warrant a Floyd fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 14 Mar 2012, 6:03 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Wonder if we'll ever see Khan offer/enter a rematch after (winning) a close result.......?

I think he should. But he'll probably claim he won their first fight so he'll be 2-0 up.

But if the money's right and LP makes the correct noises, it will happen. Rubber matches always sell and make good business.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next