The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!!

+26
Sugar Boy Sweetie
The Galveston Giant
Waingro
oxring
Seanusarrilius
BoxingFan88
jammin
KingMonkey
hogey
BALTIMORA
coxy0001
Bob
Atila
milkyboy
bhb001
6oldenbhoy
Volcanicash
Fists of Fury
manos de piedra
Jukebox Timebomb
Rowley
Jimmy Stuart
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Scottrf
captain carrantuohil
TRUSSMAN66
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!! - Page 2 Empty Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Sep 2011, 7:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Heard it here first....Barker is bigger just as good a Boxer as the overrated Martinez!!!! Southpaw style may bind for a while but I really think he's got the class to beat him and he for me is more in his prime..and it's nearly 25 years to the day since Honey lucked out!!!

Barker to provide the biggest Brit shock for............25 years....

Good luck to him....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!!

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 2:20 pm

Go on Truss have a bet on it. Please do tell us why Martinez is overrated????

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!!

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:01 pm

Martinez ko inside 6

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Heard it here first....Barker is bigger just as good a Boxer as the overrated Martinez!!!! Southpaw style may bind for a while but I really think he's got the class to beat him and he for me is more in his prime..and it's nearly 25 years to the day since Honey lucked out!!!

Barker to provide the biggest Brit shock for............25 years....

Good luck to him....

If you've picked this right - you should probably retire from liking boxing; as, quite simply, it will have nothing more to offer or challenge you. Other than Barker's dad - you're probably the only one picking things this way.

I have no end of respect for your willingness to pick a fight one way or another - and accept being wrong sometimes. clap clap

However, I reckon you're way off here.

Martinez has impressed me ever since the Cintron "draw". He has a tight defence, slick skills, good power, good accuracy. For my money, he is the most deserving middleweight champion since Hopkins.

Barker should need more than a jab-right cross to stop Martinez - who didn't really seem fazed when Williams tried the same thing. Maybe you've seen something in Barker's footwork that makes you think that he'll set Martinez up - fair enough - but I haven't.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:33 pm

martinez is going to float on the outside shaking his shoulders and pounce on barker with power shots and after 2/3 rounds barker will start to be worn down and ko'd

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:54 pm

This will be a mismath imo Barker is quality but Martinez is one of the best fighters in the world and Barker needed a better warm up fight than Spada I think he will get knocked by Martinez no clue why anyone would think Barker will win this?

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:56 pm

Waingro wrote:This will be a mismath imo Barker is quality but Martinez is one of the best fighters in the world and Barker needed a better warm up fight than Spada I think he will get knocked by Martinez no clue why anyone would think Barker will win this?
To get replies.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:00 pm

Barker should of fought Chavez jr or Geale they would be easier fights that he had a chance of winning I guess he wants the payday from MArtinez but he has no chance in this lets be honest. I would have liked to see him in with Macklin I reckon he had a good chance of winning that.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:04 pm

Yeah the Macklin fight would have been a good one, as would Chavez Jr. The Martinez fight is going to be like Jennings and Lockett's attempts i feel, game but heavily outclassed.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:53 pm

Barker UD, 50/1 at Skybet.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:14 pm

Wow, worth a few bob.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:17 pm

I think you've flipped on this one Truss.

Don't see anything Barker does better than Martinez. Sergio is a better technician, a bigger puncher, has a better jab, he's much quicker and will always beat Barker to the punch. Southpaw stance adds to Barkers woes. Martinez may be a former welter, but that was eons ago - he can't even make 154 now, and as for him not being solid? Have you actually seen him? He's a much finer athlete than Barker, couldve been a pro cyclist or footballer and it shows. Barker will be game, brave and put a shift in, but he's been largely inactive even on the euro scene for 2 years while Sergio has been competing at world level. It would have to be a ridiculously bad day at the office for Martinez to lose this fight.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by slapbangwhallop Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:42 pm

My head says no, but my heart......also says no!

slapbangwhallop

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:45 pm

barker is 31 so probably just thought he may as well go for the best before he misses the chance. i think he will fight macklin win or lose after this anyway, and nobody (except truss) expects him to win, so he cant really lose. expect a easy night for martinez, but 16/1 KO and 50/1 UD are brilliant odds and worth a $5 each at least

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:09 pm

Lacked the belief didn't he...Tactics were right had him ahead after six....but needed to commit more and take advantage after his early successes....

Got it wrong about the ending but got it right about the Argentine pot shotter...

He's not that good.....p4p wise anyway...

Barker good effort but you may have regrets kid.....Needed to commit and believe more..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Sun 02 Oct 2011, 4:25 pm

If he committed more mr potshot as you call him would've took his head off.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 02 Oct 2011, 5:46 pm

Yeah, the more Barker went for it the more chance Martinez would have had to blast him away.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 02 Oct 2011, 6:14 pm

Very good power shown by Martinez, each time that left connected flush he had him in a bit of trouble. Agree with tcribb and alex, if Barker had been any more open he wouldn't have seen the 11th round.

Decent performance though, so not a bad prediction from you Trussy given how much of a brave and outspoken one it was!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 02 Oct 2011, 6:19 pm

Not suggesting he be more open..just committing more when he flurried...

Busted his nose early and landed well......can't fight back if your head is going back...

Why was he ahead after 6...because he was more positive in those rounds..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 02 Oct 2011, 6:22 pm

Yeah I didn't think that Barker would pose quite as much of a problem as he did to be fair, but fought in as awkward as a style as he possibly could.

Never truly looked as though he was able to win however and Martinez definately looks as though the power is well and truly there. Earlier in his career he was not truly noted for his power, now he looks like a bit of a vicious hitter.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 02 Oct 2011, 6:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not suggesting he be more open..just committing more when he flurried...

Busted his nose early and landed well......can't fight back if your head is going back...

Why was he ahead after 6...because he was more positive in those rounds..

Why Barker wasn't able to do that after 6 was because Martinez became more aggressive and stopped him from doing what he originally was, through sheer ability. Was just never physically able, didn't quite have the tools to sustain it and even if he did it seemed like Martinez was beginning to wake up and would have won the championship rounds. Full credit to Barker did a lot better than I thought he would, the tactics nullified what Martinez was wanting to do and he wasn't quite as up for it as he should have been in my opinion. Can understand his frame of mind, you can't just turn it on and off.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2