The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!!

+26
Sugar Boy Sweetie
The Galveston Giant
Waingro
oxring
Seanusarrilius
BoxingFan88
jammin
KingMonkey
hogey
BALTIMORA
coxy0001
Bob
Atila
milkyboy
bhb001
6oldenbhoy
Volcanicash
Fists of Fury
manos de piedra
Jukebox Timebomb
Rowley
Jimmy Stuart
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Scottrf
captain carrantuohil
TRUSSMAN66
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!! Empty Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:42

Heard it here first....Barker is bigger just as good a Boxer as the overrated Martinez!!!! Southpaw style may bind for a while but I really think he's got the class to beat him and he for me is more in his prime..and it's nearly 25 years to the day since Honey lucked out!!!

Barker to provide the biggest Brit shock for............25 years....

Good luck to him....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!! Empty Re: Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!!

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:48

Go and have a bet, old son; if you're right, you should do very well. I don't think you will be, mind you. Think Barker has very little to trouble Martinez, unfortunately.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!! Empty Re: Barker to do another Honeyghan v Curry!!!

Post by Scottrf Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:49

This is the new 'Valuev's Height Will Be the Deciding Factor' or 'Manny's Lack of Power is the Clincher'.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:50

Can't see it Truss.

Unlike you I don't think Martinez is over rated if you are rating him somewhere around P4P #3-5. Barker has done nothing to suggest he can cope with Martinez. He's been in at Euro level until now and this is some jump up in class. I can see him being stopped late on. The fact Martinez is a southpaw just makes it that bit more awkward imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:51

Picked Tyson to beat Douglas too....

Seriously i've seen a lot of Martinez and he seems run of the mill...When he knocked out Williams he wasn't even looking at him when he threw the punch..

We'll find that martinez is overrated...southpaw style has carried him for me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:53

Cheers pretty....I think size wise he's bigger, more in his prime and Martinez can be workmanlike..

Honey beat Rosi and powder punch Horace shufford before Curry.....

What matters is can you handle the guy in front of you rather than experience per se...Because everybody is different.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Stuart Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:53

Evening Truss

Hope you're well, I seen 16/1 for Barker earlier in the week if you fancy him it might be worth a few shilling on.

Haven't seen an awful lot of either guy if I'm honest, but Barker looks a little too easy to hit and I'm not sure he has enough venom in his shots, wish him all the luck but it's a tough ask.

Jimmy Stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:54

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Picked Tyson to beat Douglas too....

Seriously i've seen a lot of Martinez and he seems run of the mill...When he knocked out Williams he wasn't even looking at him when he threw the punch..

We'll find that martinez is overrated...southpaw style has carried him for me..
Martinez threw the same punch multiple times against Williams, had success before the knockout. Against Dzinziruk he outjabbed a guy many were talking about as one of the best jabbers in boxing

Martinez is faster, more experienced, has more variety and is a bigger puncher. Barker is average in every single way.

The only think Barker may have the edge in is workrate, but it's unlikely to win him the fight.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:55

Cheers Jimmy...Martinez odds are based on him being third best p4p in the world...which is too high....

Bramble held a lofty position and was huge against Rosario....

I pick on what I've seen..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:55

Truss this could well be your Rhodes Alvarez moment mate. However being a classy guy will not repay you for the abuse you gave me on that one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:55

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Cheers pretty....I think size wise he's bigger, more in his prime and Martinez can be workmanlike..

Honey beat Rosi and powder punch Horace shufford before Curry.....

What matters is can you handle the guy in front of you rather than experience per se...Because everybody is different.
Least applicable adjective available for Martinez. He is unorthodox and can switch off.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:57

You'll know I had Alvarez for that one Rowley.....

Think the weight and the fact Martinez is a lot older than Alvarez is the difference....

Alvarez is solid like Chavez..Martinez is not in that league for me..

If I'm wrong I'll plead temporary insanity..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:59

Sorry to go a bit off topic but I noticed this isn't for a belt. Which by modern standards is stunning. I honestly can't remember the last headline show that wasn't for some sort of a belt.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:59

As much as I think you're insane, I do think he is a bit long at 16/1.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:00

Nunn was unorthodox before Toney splattered him...

Experience is overrated for me always has been...Jones beat Hoppo because he was better not because Hoppo was green...

Don't think Martinez is quicker......older, more ringworn for me..just don't seee much..southpaw helps him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:01

You don't think Martinez is quicker, are you thinking of the right Martinez?

If you seriously believe that I'm disappointed in you.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:02

Don't think he's that quick...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:03

How do you see it unfolding then, what can Barker do to trouble him?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:05

prettyboykev wrote:Sorry to go a bit off topic but I noticed this isn't for a belt. Which by modern standards is stunning. I honestly can't remember the last headline show that wasn't for some sort of a belt.

It's for the WBC diamond middleweight title. The true pinnacle of boxing.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:08

Well for a start he's fighting a pot shotting former welterweight so is naturally much bigger......Expect him to take his shot....

Bully him behind the jab is my advice don't let him settle or set up..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:12

I can see that Martinez is kind of flavour of the month sort of guy, havent been convinced he is really elite. Mybe he is "overrated" to some extent these days but think he would have been exposed long before now if Barker has the beating of him.

Not really to sure where you are seeing Barkers win come from. At absolute best he might be able to outwork or outhussle Martinez but outbox, outskill or outspeed him? Cant see any basis for that Im afraid from what we have seen of the two thus far.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:13

He's not outjabbing Martinez IMO, can't see him beating Sergio to the punch. Size might be what he has on his side, but so did Pavlik, a guy with a bigger reach and better straight punches than Barker. I'd say he needs to try and bully him, keep his workrate up, force Martinez out of his comfort zone because at range it will be a domination. If he can be busier and force Martinez backwards, maybe the judges will like it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:13

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Sorry to go a bit off topic but I noticed this isn't for a belt. Which by modern standards is stunning. I honestly can't remember the last headline show that wasn't for some sort of a belt.

Boxrec never had a title listed with it and I must admit I got a bit excited to much to hope for I guess.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:13

I just don't think Barker has enough pop in his punches to keep Martinez off, and can see him being thoroughly out-gunned inside 6.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:15

prettyboykev wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:

Boxrec never had a title listed with it and I must admit I got a bit excited to much to hope for I guess.
Yeah it is, they don't list titles on the schedule but it's on each of the boxer's pages.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:16

They have a title listed for the other title fights on the schedule just not the Martinez one.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:17

prettyboykev wrote:They have a title listed for the other title fights on the schedule just not the Martinez one.
?

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=623883

I thought you were looking at the one for all events on the day which doesn't show any.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:19

Never said he was outjabbing him...Said bully him behind the jab...make his size count..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:19

Scottrf wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:They have a title listed for the other title fights on the schedule just not the Martinez one.
?

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=623883

I thought you were looking at the one for all events on the day which doesn't show any.

It's on that but not the schedule.

http://boxrec.com/schedule.php?country=WWW&division=&title=&tv=&SUBMIT=Go&pageID=2

It's near the bottom of the page.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 21:12

Barker has a chance in this fight, but is rightfully a huge underdog!! He was impressive in his last fight against Dominico Spad, who gave Sebastian Zbik 2 tough fights. He does have a decent skill set but doesn't really excel in any particualar area, but does have a good skill set and showed good stamina in the Spada fight!! His chin though is relatively untested and did look shaky when he fought the non punching belgian 2 fights ago, but I think you can call that a bad day at the office. This will be only his 4th fight in 3 years!!

Martinez though looks awesome!! His fight with Williams was one of the best I've seen in a long long time, should have got the nod!! He outclassed pavlik, Annihalated Williams in the rematch with a shot ala Paquaio Hatton!! And then outclasses unbeaten Serhiy Dzinairuk!!

Martinez is better in every department than Barker and could finish this early, but I still give Barker a chance. Martinez looks great against fighters who come at him ala Williams and Pavlik, Barker needs to be more measured and not get suckered into a huge left counter!! If Barker boxes smart, keeps a tight defence, uses his jab intelligently, and uses plenty of movement, he could make it difficult!! But somehow I think Martinez will finish it with a early to mid round tko/ko!! But come on Barker!! One of boxings good guys!!

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 21:32

Volcanicash wrote:Barker has a chance in this fight, but is rightfully a huge underdog!! He was impressive in his last fight against Dominico Spad, who gave Sebastian Zbik 2 tough fights. He does have a decent skill set but doesn't really excel in any particualar area, but does have a good skill set and showed good stamina in the Spada fight!! His chin though is relatively untested and did look shaky when he fought the non punching belgian 2 fights ago, but I think you can call that a bad day at the office. This will be only his 4th fight in 3 years!!

Martinez though looks awesome!! His fight with Williams was one of the best I've seen in a long long time, should have got the nod!! He outclassed pavlik, Annihalated Williams in the rematch with a shot ala Paquaio Hatton!! And then outclasses unbeaten Serhiy Dzinairuk!!

Martinez is better in every department than Barker and could finish this early, but I still give Barker a chance. Martinez looks great against fighters who come at him ala Williams and Pavlik, Barker needs to be more measured and not get suckered into a huge left counter!! If Barker boxes smart, keeps a tight defence, uses his jab intelligently, and uses plenty of movement, he could make it difficult!! But somehow I think Martinez will finish it with a early to mid round tko/ko!! But come on Barker!! One of boxings good guys!!

I thought Barker looked pretty poor against Spada. Never been a Barker fan if I'm honest and I think this is going to be a very tough night for him. As alluded to by others, Martinez has the upper hand in almost every department and Barker doesn't have power to push him back. Stoppage or retirement around rounds 7-9 I feel, unless Martinez has aged rapidly since the Dzinziruk bout.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 22:07

Truss, hope that you ar right, but I think Martinez has too much experience. Mind you at 16 to 1, it is a decent punt

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 22:09

16/1 is worth putting a fiver on.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 22:13

[quote="6oldenbhoyI thought Barker looked pretty poor against Spada. Never been a Barker fan if I'm honest and I think this is going to be a very tough night for him. As alluded to by others, Martinez has the upper hand in almost every department and Barker doesn't have power to push him back. Stoppage or retirement around rounds 7-9 I feel, unless Martinez has aged rapidly since the Dzinziruk bout.[/quote]

The Spada fight was a vast improvement against the belgian fighter he fought!! Definitely a tough fight for Barker!! OK

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 22:54

i'm with manos on this one... i think martinez is a bit flavour of the month and i can see where truss is coming from in that respect but i'm not sure that barker is the guy to do it. Good luck to him though and fair play to him in taking it. Macklin surprised us against storm, so who knows. My money is staying in my pocket, despite those odds being very tempting.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 22:58

milkyboy wrote:i'm with manos on this one... i think martinez is a bit flavour of the month and i can see where truss is coming from in that respect but i'm not sure that barker is the guy to do it. Good luck to him though and fair play to him in taking it. Macklin surprised us against storm, so who knows. My money is staying in my pocket, despite those odds being very tempting.
Spoiler:

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 23:24

Scottrf wrote:
milkyboy wrote:i'm with manos on this one... i think martinez is a bit flavour of the month and i can see where truss is coming from in that respect but i'm not sure that barker is the guy to do it. Good luck to him though and fair play to him in taking it. Macklin surprised us against storm, so who knows. My money is staying in my pocket, despite those odds being very tempting.
Spoiler:
Laugh

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 9:40

my bad. Though in retrospect, i'm sure , matthew would rather have had 12 sweaty gruelling rounds with storm than sturm. I suspect it might have been a similar story though... a high energy start from matthew before wilting prematurely and hanging on gamely for the rest of the ride.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 9:43

I think I’d last longer against Sturm than Storm.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 9:44

manos de piedra wrote:I can see that Martinez is kind of flavour of the month sort of guy, havent been convinced he is really elite. Mybe he is "overrated" to some extent these days but think he would have been exposed long before now if Barker has the beating of him.

Not really to sure where you are seeing Barkers win come from. At absolute best he might be able to outwork or outhussle Martinez but outbox, outskill or outspeed him? Cant see any basis for that Im afraid from what we have seen of the two thus far.

Hardly flavour of the month...he's been at the top of his tree for more than two years.

I must admit that I caught the Martinez bug late on. He seems to have been boxing's best kept secret for a few years. I was amazed when he signed for the first Williams fight that quite a few respectable boxing pundits actually tipped Martinez to beat him, in spite of Williams being a top ten P4P fighter.

Fast forward and he's fought some very competent fighters since then, and struggled with none.

Martinez to easily best Barker.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 9:46

Disagree Truss, quite badly as well

Dzinziruk was expected to give Martinez a bit of trouble, that with him being a southpaw et all combined with having solid skills. Not only did Martinez beat him he beat him up and didn't lose a round in the process. The gulf in class and general ability was huge.

As much as i like Barker he doesn't stand a chance, he's quite simply not in the same league as Martinez. Everything points towards Martinez stopping the durable but limited Barker late, would love to know how Martinez is overrated bearing in mind the run he's been on as well.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 9:57

I don't agree one jot with those that are suggesting that Martinez is over-rated. He is a very impressive fighter, sharp with good speed, decent power and reflexes. He has beaten Williams twice (in my opinion, though obviously the first was very tight), and Pavlik which I think shows that he is the real deal.

Barker has some good skills, but he isn't in the same league, not in a mile of it.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 9:58

So TRUSS, you don't think Martinez has the height and power to win?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 10:03

Ha, some gems those, weren't they.

Love Truss' predictions, at least he doesn't sit on the fence! No splinters up his 'arris.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 10:13

He will get major bragging rights if this one comes off.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 10:17

He wouldn't half!

Or we could look at it that he has half rescued his credibility after it being destroyed due to the other two predictions?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 11:50

Scottrf wrote:He will get major bragging rights if this one comes off.

I think he figures he's due a win soon.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 12:02

Although Martinez, like Curry in his day seems a bit overated i still think he will have too much for Barker, however no one truly knows how good Barker is and its possible this could be the fight he come's into the spotlight and shocks the world by causing the upset.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 12:19

The thing here for me is already been mentioned but like Rhodes was before Alvarez Barker simply hasn't been active enough. It might end up being irrelevent I guess but he needed more fights before this.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by jammin Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 12:24

Scottrf wrote:I think I’d last longer against Sturm than Storm.

Bravo!

jammin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next